Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Brunom1 posted:

One of these in the lategame can REALLY set things back to the stone age.
Yeah, this episode hasn't even shown off the magical things those Dark Arts points are for. :unsmigghh: I don't think AI players will even use the really, really bad ones.

At least I hope not. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

This is why Dokapon takes forever. Get pushed around too much? You can sell your soul to make everyone else as miserable as you were before you turned into a Darkling.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've seen some way nasty Dark Arts... I think as long as they get enough points they'll do anything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an impressive amount of spite.

Steve is also being amazingly spiteful, swooping in mid-fight to gank his own side.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait until Grace or Dan becomes the Darkling.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Pyroi posted:

Dan is already a demon.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Dan is way too Canadian to become a Darkling.

Grace, on the other hand...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can't blame Dan or Grace for using strike the times they got countered, because they would have been hosed anyways :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Darklings are the "worse" I was thinking of in my last post. Although for all I know there's even more bullshit things than Darklings out there. It is Dokapon Kingdom, after all.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Dr. Moron knew. That's why he was buying those vanishes. Those prevent players from being able to attack you, right?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pyroi posted:

Grace is going to become a deadite at this rate.

Obligatum VII posted:

Dr. Moron knew. That's why he was buying those vanishes. Those prevent players from being able to attack you, right?
First selling his vanish just to mock you and then doing a 180 shortly after, like the game was dead set on making it happen. I think it also prevents encounters in empty spaces.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:ohdear: "Dan Poopston's in third!" :laffo:

This is fantastic in how horrifying it is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Holy poo poo this game. I'd heard it's a special one, but this exceeds all expectations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 5 - The Siege of Uvs Nuur

Fun Fact: A few things that happen in this episode spiral into major problems Grace and I are still having trouble fixing after Episode 35 or whatever we stopped at

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 10, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh Dan, Dan, Dan...

Do you see it, Dan?

You could have just run away...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh Dan, Dan, Dan...

Do you see it, Dan?

You could have just run away...

I saw it while editing :smith: Dammit past-Dan, you suck

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also at the end of the video that poor girl isn't called your mean slur anymore.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Danaru posted:

Fun Fact: A few things that happen in this episode spiral into major problems Grace and I are still having trouble fixing after Episode 35 or whatever we stopped at

Wow, Poopston got one of the best shields in the game. I hope one of you steals that.

Like, DF is almost worthless as a stat compared to pure HP, and all the other stats the shield gives make it a solid choice almost right up to endgame.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Perfect timing for the wabbits to show up after meeting the other doctor.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Hail the Immortal Empress Estelle, may her reign be eternal and bring forth Market Crashes and foot sores.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Danaru posted:

I saw it while editing :smith: Dammit past-Dan, you suck
Hey, Dan. Want to know something really funny? :devil:

The Darkling's defending command automatically changes to Counter if you Strike them. Yes, even if a human-controlled Darkling chooses a different command. You were 100% doomed to failure there. :allears:

The even funnier thing is I can absolutely guarantee that Dan or Grace will Strike other things with Auto-Counter and have to spend entire in-game weeks just to walk back to where they were.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, Dan. Want to know something really funny? :devil:

The Darkling's defending command automatically changes to Counter if you Strike them. Yes, even if a human-controlled Darkling chooses a different command. You were 100% doomed to failure there. :allears:

The even funnier thing is I can absolutely guarantee that Dan or Grace will Strike other things with Auto-Counter and have to spend entire in-game weeks just to walk back to where they were.

The game is a cheating jerk :mad: I didn't know that about the darkling

also I refuse to repeat it in red

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That cave is kind of a teleport hub for the game. at the end are a bunch of teleports to various continents. The rest of the caves have new jobs or rare items.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 11, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, having both the NPCs go full wabbit while you're just hanging out with nothing seems like it's got horrible long-term consequences.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Ah, the Darkling.
I love how dickish this game can be. :allears:

At least someone can only become the Darkling if they're in last place for 2 weeks in a row.
Spoilering it just in case.

Also I believe the only way you can lose a Castle is if the Darkling uses the Castle Panic Dark Art.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Pyroi posted:

Hail the Immortal Empress Estelle, may her reign be eternal and bring forth Market Crashes and foot sores.

I, for one, welcome our cute satanic overlord.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After 134 ingame weeks, I have completed the game! The assholishness I've seen (and practiced) is amazing, I hope you two get to do some of it too.

If my experience is anything to go by, expect a lot more Darklings.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zanzibar Ham posted:

After 134 ingame weeks, I have completed the game! The assholishness I've seen (and practiced) is amazing, I hope you two get to do some of it too.

If my experience is anything to go by, expect a lot more Darklings.

Holy poo poo. That's a lot of weeks. Too many weeks, I think, given the emotional toll this game extracts from its players.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

Holy poo poo. That's a lot of weeks. Too many weeks, I think, given the emotional toll this game extracts from its players.

That actually sounds like a pretty short run, for Dokapon.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Cathode Raymond posted:

Hey, Atlus advertised it as the "friendship-destroying party RPG." You get what you paid for.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot I'd like to say about how the game system works, but of course we want to avoid spoilers here. I just hope I still remember once it's over.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

malkav11 posted:

That actually sounds like a pretty short run, for Dokapon.

I think a speedrun clocks in between 60 and 70 weeks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People actually speedrun this game? That implies multiple playthroughs... :gonk:

But really, I don't know how many weeks I could shave off if I didn't try to do almost all the side things and if it wasn't for some very "timely" forced teleportations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think a speedrun clocks in between 60 and 70 weeks.
I cannot fathom a speedrun of this game. It's so random and you can get dicked over so easily.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

JT Jag posted:

I cannot fathom a speedrun of this game. It's so random and you can get dicked over so easily.

On the other hand, I'd be interested to see how someone optimized a tool-assisted speedrun of the game. I bet the hoops needed to manipulate luck are massive.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It would be very difficult I think, though again I'll have to wait until Dan & Grace are done with the game to explain. But maybe the reasons I think it'll the hard are the reasons it'll be easy? I don't know enough about TAS theory to say.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It would be very difficult I think, though again I'll have to wait until Dan & Grace are done with the game to explain. But maybe the reasons I think it'll the hard are the reasons it'll be easy? I don't know enough about TAS theory to say.

Non-TAS would be awfully hard due to randomness. TAS would be quite easy because of the way the game's RNG works meaning that the randomness isn't actually all that random.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's the thing though, the randomness isn't on a frame-by-frame basis. For instance, the movement spinner's result is decided for you before you even choose to move. I think the game has an array of numbers to represent its "randomness", so if the array says you're moving a '1' you'll move a '1' no matter how you try to spin it. I suppose maybe trying to cast a spell or use an item with non-certain results might help, but I'm wondering how many chances per turn do you get to affect "rolls" in later turns.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Here's the thing though, the randomness isn't on a frame-by-frame basis. For instance, the movement spinner's result is decided for you before you even choose to move. I think the game has an array of numbers to represent its "randomness", so if the array says you're moving a '1' you'll move a '1' no matter how you try to spin it. I suppose maybe trying to cast a spell or use an item with non-certain results might help, but I'm wondering how many chances per turn do you get to affect "rolls" in later turns.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean, it's like Mario party in that sense. You can do all kinds of improbable rubbish using that. But it needs items and magic we haven't seen yet, so I'm not going to elaborate further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 6 - Mirror Match

• Locked thread