Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

After years, if not decades of playing video games where "critical hits!!!" were a thing that you pretty much just always got, my eyes practically popped out of their sockets when I realized that you couldn't sneak attack nor critically hit things in D&D just because they were "unliving"

My WoW Rogue could Kidney Strike an ooze.
4e stole my heart forever when a zombie got the drop on my scouting Rogue and I rolled a crit.
"A crit! I might live oh crap it's undead :smith:

Wait, why does the GM look :smith:?"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks like we're back to 4e=video games!!

And yeah I had a lot of problem with the old rogue class, so interesting to see the same ideas. I don't know that I've ever really liked rolling for skills, be them thief or otherwise, in any edition. It just seems terrible as opposed to casting, yet I get the point that thieves that are never detectable being a huge problem

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

That's a badge of honor in my book. Most video game developers care a good deal about balancing player choices.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I got a 250+ page pdf that I think is the whole curse of strahd campaign. I was Google searching for unearthed arcana and clicked a link with the pdf identifier. Now I got the whole thing on my phone. I don't know if it's :filez: or not so I'm not posting it, but I wasn't looking to find it either. I'm going to run through it and see what's up about it.

Does anyone know of any more notable sections in it?

A whole campaign about trying to kill Dracula sounds kinda lame imo.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Big Black Brony posted:

Not if the players are kicking rear end with whips and boomerang crosses.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big Black Brony posted:

Check out the "Night's Black Agents" / "Dracula Dossier" reviews in the inklesspen archive. It's modern day, but probably adaptable, and it sounds great. Lots of investigation and intrigue to go with combat.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Big Black Brony posted:

I've been slowly playing through it for a while. There's a lot more to it than just a killing a vampire, but that part is always there. A lot of time is spent just adventuring through Barovia, this small land with just three-ish cities whose inhabitants live in a state of constant terror of Strahd and, often, each other.

But yeah, fighting Strahd is probably the ending.

It's kind of like there's a pretty straightforward main quest of killing a vampire,and a lot of really meaty side quests. (My group spent 6 sessions in Vilaki, just trying to sort through and control all the politics.)

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I think I'm just going to hold onto it, and if I don't want to dm anymore I can flip it over to one of the players and they can take it and run it.

Also is it feasible to have 4 level 2 adventures fight 3 gnolls? They seem like they can hit pretty hard.

Big Black Brony fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 21, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Try to avoid any sort of combat before your players are level 3, because combat is swingy as gently caress and one enemy critical can be lethal to a low-level character. 5E went back to the Good Old Days™ of housecats being able to murder low-level wizards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think I may have asked this before, but search isn't working and I can't remember the answer. Apologies in advance if so.

I'd like to run a one-shot for 3 players, aged 38, 9, and 7. Any guidance on how best to simplify the mechanics for the kids, or good sourcebooks to work from? I'd try something like Dungeon World, but I think the kids are stuck on playing what they've seen the adults playing. (I'm going to explore that angle too, though.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

I'm very confused.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Because only in a video game can you critically hit an undead creature or kidney shot a slime to stun it. Video games lack verisimilitude and are therefore too plebeian for my tastes :smugwizard:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just realised that everyone may not be aware that the standard zombie in 4E actually instadies from a crit. It's the exact opposite of 3.X. It was great.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Splicer posted:

I just realised that everyone may not be aware that the standard zombie in 4E actually instadies from a crit. It's the exact opposite of 3.X. It was great.

Horror movie physics. Wonderful.

Dick Burglar posted:

Because only in a video game can you critically hit an undead creature or kidney shot a slime to stun it. Video games lack verisimilitude and are therefore too plebeian for my tastes :smugwizard:

I personally didn't really buy most of these crit invulnerabilities. I always figured crits against undead (at least those with a body) mean limbs getting cut off or bones being broken. They might not feel it, but it'll definitely do something.

It's even sillier with constructs IMO, especially the more intricate ones.

Slimes are obviously hit in such a way that they vibrate like jello. They hate that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Nothing, short of maybe something completely amorphous like a slime, does not have a weak point (that could represent being critically hit). The idea that a bunch of stuff like constructs and undead don't have weak points is utterly bizarre and stupid and I'm glad it wasn't brought back with 5E.

The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid poo poo like hardline verisimilitude. I don't understand how terrible grognards can be the way they are, but I guess it probably has something to do with having poo poo ideas and opinions.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I think the idea is that Critical Hits and Sneak Attacks seem "cooler" if they're rare. To make those things seem better, they put you in scenarios where you can't use them. Then, getting to use those abilities is supposed to feel special.

To bring it back into 5th edition: There were complaints that Fighter abilities weren't as useful or interesting as the players would like. So, short rests became an hour long. Now, you appreciate your short-rest abilities more, because you have to ration them, so they feel more special when you use them.

I'm not saying I agree with this, I'm saying that I think the design decisions are consistent with that belief.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I think the idea is that Critical Hits and Sneak Attacks seem "cooler" if they're rare. To make those things seem better, they put you in scenarios where you can't use them. Then, getting to use those abilities is supposed to feel special.

To bring it back into 5th edition: There were complaints that Fighter abilities weren't as useful or interesting as the players would like. So, short rests became an hour long. Now, you appreciate your short-rest abilities more, because you have to ration them, so they feel more special when you use them.

I'm not saying I agree with this, I'm saying that I think the design decisions are consistent with that belief.
And it would be a good design decision, if there weren't classes entirely based around being able to do these things regularly that become utterly neutered without them. If the rogue can't sneak attack against undead and so has to do (mutually exclusive but equally powerful thing) instead then that's good. Better than good, it's adding some variety to a one-note class. Instead it's hey you know that thing your class is entirely based around? You can't do that until we leave this crypt in three sessions. Enjoy!

Similarly long rests being an hour would be fine if it was something that affected everyone equally, but in reality it's mainly just another Fighter Tax.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Crits are already rare unless you really, really specialize in getting a wide crit range, and even then its like 1 out of every 4 hits. Unless they changed it in 5e.

And Sneak Attack is quite picky on when it triggers. Actually sneaking up to someone only works once, ranged attacks usually have some weird range restriction, and the only consistent way to pull it off requires a flanking buddy, which further discourages the "sneaking up to someone" maneuver.

If your party's going to crawl in a crypt or something, there's a good chance that you just become a crappier fighter. Because how dare a non-caster getting any fun.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Big Black Brony posted:

I got a 250+ page pdf that I think is the whole curse of strahd campaign. I was Google searching for unearthed arcana and clicked a link with the pdf identifier. Now I got the whole thing on my phone. I don't know if it's :filez: or not so I'm not posting it, but I wasn't looking to find it either. I'm going to run through it and see what's up about it.

Does anyone know of any more notable sections in it?

A friend who has played through quite a bit of the offerings said it's been his favorite season so far. I'm newer, and I've only heard good things about it from people who have played it. Usually most of the prior seasons have * added to them where something was amiss, but Strahd never seemed to have that.

Got all my sessions registered today for GaryCon. My friend and I got into a game run by Gygax Jr. I can't wait, we got into every session we wanted, and the Gygax Jr. one was kind of hidden in a free time slot we had open and stumbled on it. I've got about six Adventure League sessions, the AL Epic, a AD&D 1e session, and an D&D Original session with minis and supposedly a huge diorama that was made for it. Hotel paid for. Driving schedule all set. Yessss.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2017

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Philthy posted:

Got all my sessions registered today for GaryCon. My friend and I got into a game run by Gygax Jr. I can't wait, we got into every session we wanted, and the Gygax Jr. one was kind of hidden in a free time slot we had open and stumbled on it. I've got about six Adventure League sessions, the AL Epic, a AD&D 1e session, and an D&D Original session with minis and supposedly a huge diorama that was made for it. Hotel paid for. Driving schedule all set. Yessss.

I'll be there too!

Btw, I wicked recommend "Of Drow Origin". I played it two years ago, and it's still the best one shots I've played. It's a soap opera disguised as a PvP battle. The DM sets the scene of a drow raiding party on a surface fortress, gives each player their secret, and then steps back and lets all the drama unfold.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I agree it's not a good idea, but I'm saying that I think these design choices are consistent with a belief that increasing scarcity automatically increases value.

Personally, I think you should be able to sneak attack a brick wall (I bet its perception is terrible anyway, so feel free to stealth it up).

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Speaking of spooky strahd, if I'm trying to run a spooky two session bloodborne ripoff what are some tricks to make my bros dehumanize and face to spookiness?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So when someone's at 0 hp, are they dead according to lore or something? Or just knocked out?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

So when someone's at 0 hp, are they dead according to lore or something? Or just knocked out?

They are in the process of bleeding out. When someone fails their three death saving throws then they are dead dead.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Novum posted:

Speaking of spooky strahd, if I'm trying to run a spooky two session bloodborne ripoff what are some tricks to make my bros dehumanize and face to spookiness?

I don't know Bloodborne, but good horror games require the players to manage sparse resources (being spells and hit dice and such), and only slowly let them see the big, unbeatable picture.

In 5e, if the players don't get a good nights sleep then they not only don't recover their spells or hit dice, they also get a level of exhaustion. I'd use that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

lifg posted:

"Of Drow Origin". ... It's a soap opera disguised as a PvP battle. The DM sets the scene of a drow raiding party on a surface fortress, gives each player their secret, and then steps back and lets all the drama unfold.
I have never heard of this. What is it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

You know what feels real special? When you're fighting constructs with DR 10/adamantine as a precision based class/spec. It's super fun providing a flank for the single character who can do damage for an entire adventure. Let me tell you.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Novum posted:

If the players aren't an analogue to hunters, they could slowly get physically corrupted by blood vials/healing potions and exposure to Great Ones. Blood vials and transfusions could also transfer the skills and memories of its previous owners, if the fluff justification of Blood Echoes is riffed off of. The form of corruption (beast vs. kin) could be based on how much Insight/Insanity vs. healing blood a given character has, but I don't know how non-class based character progression, especially one with major tradeoffs, would be handled in 5E. Maybe resisting/suppressing your corruption wouldn't get rid of it, but make it just all explode out at once once it reaches a limit, like in the backstory to Cleric Beasts.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

FRINGE posted:

I have never heard of this. What is it?

"Matron Mother has learned that something of drow origin was found in a human dwelling and sends her trusted daughters to personally attend to the matter. This story-based encounter, filled with intrigue and surprises, encourages roleplay and takes advantage of the ease of use found in 5th edition rules. Pregenerated characters fit for the scenario are provided."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065541321/of-drow-origin-module

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kaysette posted:

"Matron Mother has learned that something of drow origin was found in a human dwelling and sends her trusted daughters to personally attend to the matter. This story-based encounter, filled with intrigue and surprises, encourages roleplay and takes advantage of the ease of use found in 5th edition rules. Pregenerated characters fit for the scenario are provided."

Nice. If the print version shows up I may grab that to read and dream of having time to play a real game in 2017.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I agree it's not a good idea, but I'm saying that I think these design choices are consistent with a belief that increasing scarcity automatically increases value.

I don't think that's all that consistent with spellcasters multiplying the amount of spells they can cast.

But that first level when all they could do for the entire days was cast Sleep once, now that made them feel like masters of the universe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Novum posted:

Use the old edition Ravenloft rules and invoke the 'powers check'.
To make it bloodborne thematic: everytime, when appropriate, the players would either 'gain insight' or become more beastlike roll against a number that slowly goes down with each roll. When you roll under, 'gift' them with powers or abilities, and start at a lower number for the next set of rolls, and as they accrue more gifts, the gifts get worse, and compulsory to use. Should they not use their gifts they 'frenzy', you get a free interrupt and the number is reset and lowered without a new gift.
Each failed roll gives you an interrupt for that player, wresting control from them for an action.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Use the old edition Ravenloft rules and invoke the 'powers check'.
To make it bloodborne thematic: everytime, when appropriate, the players would either 'gain insight' or become more beastlike roll against a number that slowly goes down with each roll. When you roll under, 'gift' them with powers or abilities, and start at a lower number for the next set of rolls, and as they accrue more gifts, the gifts get worse, and compulsory to use. Should they not use their gifts they 'frenzy', you get a free interrupt and the number is reset and lowered without a new gift.
Each failed roll gives you an interrupt for that player, wresting control from them for an action.

This stuff is actually in Curse of Strahd in a form.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Doresh posted:

Crits are already rare unless you really, really specialize in getting a wide crit range, and even then its like 1 out of every 4 hits. Unless they changed it in 5e.

And Sneak Attack is quite picky on when it triggers. Actually sneaking up to someone only works once, ranged attacks usually have some weird range restriction, and the only consistent way to pull it off requires a flanking buddy, which further discourages the "sneaking up to someone" maneuver.

If your party's going to crawl in a crypt or something, there's a good chance that you just become a crappier fighter. Because how dare a non-caster getting any fun.

I love that in a thread where we're expressly not supposed to talk about other editions, we have posters who don't know anything about this edition.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Kaysette posted:

I didn't know it was a kickstarter, I'm gonna have to get it.

It's just a really fun soap-opera-with-swords scenario. The DM is more of a referee, who just lets the drama unfold as allegiances shift and secrets come to light.

Also he built a whole two story fortress for the minis.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

P.d0t posted:

I love that in a thread where we're expressly not supposed to talk about other editions, we have posters who don't know anything about this edition.

That's not true. I know that the CR system is garbage.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I like DnD 5e

Controversial, I know

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

kazr posted:

I like DnD 5e

Controversial, I know

Cool, what do you like about it? What are some cool sessions you have had?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kazr posted:

I like DnD 5e

Controversial, I know
Voluntarily fail you are death saving throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kazr posted:

I like DnD 5e

Controversial, I know

:trumppop: