Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

mentalcontempt posted:

Hey fellow metric cruiser rider and full-face helmet wearer. Good for you on both counts. I've had a Vulcan S for about a year now and enjoy it. We can swap tales of getting the cold shoulder from Harley riders wearing skid lids.

Heck yeah, I really liked the Vulcan S too! I just wanted something a little more on the cruiser side maaaaannn. And down here in TX, you're lucky to see a harley person wearing a helmet, normally a bandana and a metric shitload of leather, studs and tassels is enough for protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is it with all the horse jockeys in CA?

I'm 6 feet even, but I just don't feel the need to contribute to heightchat because I'm comfortable with myself :smugdog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

torturemyballs posted:

I finally got my license and bought a bike....2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I like to tinker and upgrade stuff so I've done:
-V&H Twin Slash Exhaust
-Cobra Powrpro Air intake
-Cobra Powrflo Black Magic Computer Thingie

I only have about 700 miles so far but I'm loving it.....getting stuff together to do some camping with friends! :)

I hope metric cruisers are welcome here :ohdear:

I'd never want one but these are bloody good bikes. Only metric cruiser that doesn't have some sort of achilles heel, nice punchy engine. Good stuff.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Moments before it and myself were vaporized by a nuclear blast

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And nothing of value was lost.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Slavvy posted:

I'd never want one but these are bloody good bikes. Only metric cruiser that doesn't have some sort of achilles heel, nice punchy engine. Good stuff.

Thank ya, I never thought I'd buy a white bike but I honestly love the look of it.....the ride is quite nice, going to upgrade the seat to a Corbin soon though to help with longer distances.

Any issues you all see with changing the front pulley? I'd like to be able to cruise at a slightly lower RPM, is it just torque that suffers? Stress the engine more?

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Baron-Custom-Accessories-Pulley-BA-6574-00/dp/B008BYRGCC

Guessing I'd need to have the belt retensioned, but is that about it? What has amazed me so far is just how easy motorcycles are to tinker with compared to my ford truck.

torturemyballs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 15, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

torturemyballs posted:

Thank ya, I never thought I'd buy a white bike but I honestly love the look of it.....the ride is quite nice, going to upgrade the seat to a Corbin soon though to help with longer distances.

Any issues you all see with changing the front pulley? I'd like to be able to cruise at a slightly lower RPM, is it just torque that suffers? Stress the engine more?

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Baron-Custom-Accessories-Pulley-BA-6574-00/dp/B008BYRGCC

Guessing I'd need to have the belt retensioned, but is that about it? What has amazed me so far is just how easy motorcycles are to tinker with compared to my ford truck.

Probably won't hurt anything, it will technically put the engine under more strain but it's a torquemonster v-twin made by a japanese company so I wouldn't worry too much.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Probably won't hurt anything, it will technically put the engine under more strain but it's a torquemonster v-twin made by a japanese company so I wouldn't worry too much.

Good enough for me! :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought a '99 BMW R1100R from a friend. A little rough looking but, so far, it runs well. Got it mainly for commuting to work and riding with a passenger. My wife loves it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a lot prettier than many of it's vintage. Looks a lot like the r9t, without the price tag. Nice buy!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That pillion seat does not look spouse-friendly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

Bought a '99 BMW R1100R from a friend. A little rough looking but, so far, it runs well. Got it mainly for commuting to work and riding with a passenger. My wife loves it.

Classy. How's your dentistry practice/graphic design firm going anyway?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dema posted:

I thought commuting on your CBR was nice - that didn't last long.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

CBR is great for 20-30 minutes of freeway commuting. Parking it in SoMA makes me a little nervous though and the bike is total cop bait.

BTW; from last weekend:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Classy. How's your dentistry practice/graphic design firm going anyway?

This would work as a combo. Yes, I've got the dental x-ray back now. It looks like we need a total rebrand.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sun's out bike's out

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dema posted:

Looks great!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw an R1100R (in deep burgundy red) parked at Target the other day and I agree, it's a very pretty bike. I like the late-90s aesthetic where everything is round and smooth a lot more than this modern janky angular transformers-face style. If I were twenty years older and in the market for a 2-up weekend tourer, it'd be on my shortlist.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

It was a really good supermoto sunday

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Picked up this 2008 WR250x with 8k miles for $3,600 on Sunday. Finally part of the sumo club :c00l: It has FMF exhaust and power commander. Way slower than my old bike but it should be more fun. Is anyone familiar with the "no toil" air filter? I've never heard of it and might change that back to stock.

Sorry for the bitmoji picture, I saved it from snapchat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're exactly like a normal oiled filter except marketed as being better in some way because you can clean them with water instead of kerosene or whatever. This in no way shape or form reduces the 'toil'. From your bike's perspective there is zero difference. It's also meant to be better for the environment in some vague scientifically unprovable way.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

They're exactly like a normal oiled filter except marketed as being better in some way because you can clean them with water instead of kerosene or whatever. This in no way shape or form reduces the 'toil'. From your bike's perspective there is zero difference. It's also meant to be better for the environment in some vague scientifically unprovable way.

Yeah, it's just a brand of regular foam filter.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Telling people I'm helping the environment in vague unprovable ways is one of my favorite things, so I guess I'll leave it in there.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Looks clean. I've heard that no-toil air filters break down when cleaned with solvents rather than their ~special~ cleaner, which looks/smells exactly like oxyclean. I'm more of a twin air or hiflo air filter fan, but it will be fine.

Is that front tire cooked, or it just the lighting?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Front tire is indeed cooked (and old). I'm planning on replacing that and the chain before I do any serious riding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just go hiflofiltro for your air filter. They're cheap, replicate oem and dont need cleaning.

gently caress cleaning air filters.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just go hiflofiltro for your air filter. They're cheap, replicate oem and dont need cleaning.

gently caress cleaning air filters.

My understanding is that there are two reasons to run foam filters.

1. may provide better air flow and so allow you to unlock .125 extra hp

2. paper filters don't necessarily filter all the dust out if you're riding somewhere very dusty. Like in, you know, dirt.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hot sauce posted:

Telling people I'm helping the environment in vague unprovable ways is one of my favorite things, so I guess I'll leave it in there.

You'll do just fine in Colorado then.

builds character posted:

My understanding is that there are two reasons to run foam filters.

1. may provide better air flow and so allow you to unlock .125 extra hp

2. paper filters don't necessarily filter all the dust out if you're riding somewhere very dusty. Like in, you know, dirt.

When I was researching filters for my thumper, I came across several reviews of the K&N that mentioned letting dust in and scoring the cylinders. So I got an oiled foam filter.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a supermoto let's not pretend it will be on dirt

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just lol if you don't dirt your sumo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Just lol if you don't dirt your sumo.

Right. mine is covered in mud right now. :feelsgood:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thankfully, available air for the winter-flattened rear was only a couple blocks away from the house.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is your garage climate-controlled? That has to be the least dilapidated buell I have ever seen, including the ones at the harley showroom.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Is your garage climate-controlled? That has to be the least dilapidated buell I have ever seen, including the ones at the harley showroom.

Nope. It sat in the cold all winter. It looks much better from a distance than up close (little bits of oxidation here and there).. but I've only owned it for 6 months and it WAS owned by a guy who kept great care of it.

https://goo.gl/photos/RUVuKpxy2xW5uZn47

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

braaap, it was fuckin 70 out today

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Just doin' rear end in a top hat things.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Here's a result of breaking 3 breaker bars and finally taking my wheel off. Still had to get help from dealer to loosen the drat nut. Just :italy: things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Right. mine is covered in mud right now. :feelsgood:

Yeah, I had some butt-pucker moments on the DRZ too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Here's a result of breaking 3 breaker bars and finally taking my wheel off. Still had to get help from dealer to loosen the drat nut. Just :italy: things.

Had the same problem with my :italy: bike when I went to get new tires, too. Mine's just a pedestrian Ducati though, so it only took 15 minutes heaving with a breaker bar, a broken electric impact bit, and an air impact.