Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Some decent recent ones I remember include Jet Pack Madness, Dope Lake, and the Great Diamond Hoax, any more I'll have to scan through their catalogue. YMMV, I tend to like the good stories more than the hosts' joking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They're not very funny imo, I don't really like podcasts hosted by standups (as opposed to like UYD or MBMBAM) because it just feels like they get really tryhard and corny zingy with their comedy sometimes rather than it just being natural and conversational humor
On the other hand it's like the only historical comedy podcast I tolerate and they're occasionally funny and entertaining especially if the story is crazy/good

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
The Pendragon conspiracy is a great early dollop. poo poo gets so buckwild

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the more outrageous or outlandish Dollop episodes? The Rube and Dolphin are the two I hear the most from fans, but if I were to put together a list of 5-10 to listen to with a newcomer what are the other craziest ones?

10 cent beer night, cereal men, fed ex fight, the dale, the fans of Philadelphia, Newport sex scandal

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They're not very funny imo, I don't really like podcasts hosted by standups (as opposed to like UYD or MBMBAM) because it just feels like they get really tryhard and corny zingy with their comedy sometimes rather than it just being natural and conversational humor
On the other hand it's like the only historical comedy podcast I tolerate and they're occasionally funny and entertaining especially if the story is crazy/good

Yeah, I don't mind their general approach, my big issue is they make the same drat jokes every single episode, and their "improv skits" are absolutely godawful, just them laughing at an absurd story is usually what I like about it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the more outrageous or outlandish Dollop episodes? The Rube and Dolphin are the two I hear the most from fans, but if I were to put together a list of 5-10 to listen to with a newcomer what are the other craziest ones?

Definitely the Newport Sex Scandal, and I like the Thomas Kincade episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, I don't mind their general approach, my big issue is they make the same drat jokes every single episode, and their "improv skits" are absolutely godawful, just them laughing at an absurd story is usually what I like about it.

I think the strength of the podcast lies in the fact that they're great storytellers, as in, the way the stories are written are fantastic. The jokes are very hit or miss but overall add a sort of light tone that compliments the stories. But it took a while for me to settle into it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i find the dollop to be very rarely like, laugh out loud funny, but i think their tone also helps with getting through some of the darker stuff they cover too

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

WEH posted:

Paved the way, sure, but slick production values and listenability don't make up for the fact that they are (or at least were) flat out wrong about lots of stuff.

Curious, what are some examples of topics they were wrong about? Radiolab is one of my favorite podcasts, so I'm genuinely interested in where they go astray

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A couple more Dollops I remember loving:

207 - the Animal Horror of Macquarie Island
204 - the Modern Bushman
202 - the Molly Macguires
131 - John Ericsson and The Monitor

After scanning through the last 150 episodes there's ton of them I just plain don't remember, but these ones did ring a bell, whether my memory sucks or not (it does) remains to be seen. Pretty much any of them with Wil Anderson were fantastic, I found him hilarious even if the subject matter wasn't always spot on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like the Bernhard Goetz ep a lot too because I thought I knew the whole story, and wasn't excited about it because it's depressing, but then there's this whole weird squirrel turn at the end.

E: and Oofty Goofty is great.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 2, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

I think the strength of the podcast lies in the fact that they're great storytellers, as in, the way the stories are written are fantastic. The jokes are very hit or miss but overall add a sort of light tone that compliments the stories. But it took a while for me to settle into it.

it helps when you directly plagiarize from online sources. unless dave stopped doing that

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

it helps when you directly plagiarize from online sources. unless dave stopped doing that

He did, and he now cites all the source material. However his initial reaction to it was such bullshit it made me stop listening for a while.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think the Enron episode was a good recent Dollop

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started losing interest in the 1904 Olympics dollop and then Rory did the first horror movie "AH-ah" and I was back on board.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Drunkboxer posted:

He did, and he now cites all the source material. However his initial reaction to it was such bullshit it made me stop listening for a while.

I never went back. Podcasting is such a personal medium, I find it hard to enjoy if I dislike the people involved.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

LSE podcast continues to amaze

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Annual Prophet posted:

LSE podcast continues to amaze

Tell me more, I'm looking for a good economics podcast

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
Anyone here listen to The Lesser Bonapartes? They've switched formats and hosts so much that I really only dip in occasionally, but I've been enjoying their series on 20th century Afghanistan. Anyone have any favorite series from them?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mythomanic posted:

Anyone here listen to The Lesser Bonapartes? They've switched formats and hosts so much that I really only dip in occasionally, but I've been enjoying their series on 20th century Afghanistan. Anyone have any favorite series from them?

I stopped listening after the first host switch,

It was a shame that they had finally started to get their audio issues fixed right before the guy I actually liked left

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I did the same. That said, I rather think the Greater Bonapartes series was kind of the high point of the original team.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Tell me more, I'm looking for a good economics podcast

there are economics related episodes, but the purview of the podcast is extremely broad and the topics typically fascinating

it's as though i'm once again living in a university town with top tier university and an abundance of public lectures

was going to post a few examples for you, but here's the full list of recent episodes

http://www.lse.ac.uk/website-archive/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/publicLecturesAndEvents/Home.aspx?list=latest-100

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 12, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you're interested in economics from a leftist perspective, check out Prof Wolff's video list

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPJpiw1WYdTNMCC0ypXHZ-kW7yCz4T0Zg

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

mike12345 posted:

If you're interested in economics from a leftist perspective, check out Prof Wolff's video list

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPJpiw1WYdTNMCC0ypXHZ-kW7yCz4T0Zg

Seconding his Democracy@Work stuff. It's very informative.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
A percentage of our GDP should go towards funding in our time

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Everything else is such a joke in comparison

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I like Revolutions but the mouth noise makes me want to die

Aren't there solutions to this stuff

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And sadly I really like Mike Duncan's delivery aside from that, his cadence is so familiar at this point. Abd while he's way better than he used to be, and certainly better than I could do, he isn't quite at the level of an audibles professional. I wonder if he reads his own audio books...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

I like Revolutions but the mouth noise makes me want to die

Aren't there solutions to this stuff

His mouth sounds so wet

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm going to have to re-listen to an episode or something, because i have no idea what any of you are talking about

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

AriadneThread posted:

i'm going to have to re-listen to an episode or something, because i have no idea what any of you are talking about

I'm in series 3 (on episode 13) fwiw. He has HUGE plosives and seems to have his mouth directly on the mic constantly. But if misophonia is real then I have a bad case of it, so ymmv

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AriadneThread posted:

Yeah I don't hear it either.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I've never noticed and now I'm worried that when I listen to the next episode it's going to be all I hear, so thanks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

I've never noticed and now I'm worried that when I listen to the next episode it's going to be all I hear, so thanks.

Same. And I really hate mouth noises.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gann Jerrod posted:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Sorry folks. Misery loves company :smug:

e: FWIW i can still listen to the show, but i have to set the volume a third lower than I do for any other podcast (or music for that matter)

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

emdash posted:

Sorry folks. Misery loves company :smug:

e: FWIW i can still listen to the show, but i have to set the volume a third lower than I do for any other podcast (or music for that matter)

I mean the volume of the show has always been louder than most of my other podcasts so I usually do have to turn it downa little to listen, but I was just listening to the latest episode and i can't hear any unusual mouth sounds?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

really enjoying the history of england podcast

many thanks to those who mentioned it!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I get some recommendations for good mouth sounds podcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can I get some recommendations for good mouth sounds podcasts?

http://www.neilcic.com/ :v: