Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Then why do you want updated games? Are they CPU-limited at 1440/4K now, such that Ryzen optimizations would show up?

It doesn't hurt if you can go even faster theoretically. Tbh some games like Ashes of singularity has terrible performance with Ryzen, would be interesting to see if an update would help with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dante80 posted:

Yes. My C2D still runs games valiantly. Wish I did get the Q6600 back then though.

The Westmere X5690 (i7-990X equivalent) in my 2009 Mac Pro still does just fine in every game I play with a GTX 980.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Twitch and youtube aren't at all alike. Twitch gives you a ton of leeway with your settings without reencoding, which means you can just do your comparisons locally, and it's readily apparent that GPU encoding blows.

Twitch has recently started recoding many streams (used to be for partners only), though you can always still choose source when watching, which is nice.

And yeah, I think I mentioned this earlier, but gpu encoded videos can already suffer pretty hard in high motion scenes, and then youtube/twitch does another pass over that, and while they do have pretty decent transcoding going on, the shittier your source, the extra shittier the output, since the blockyness/blur just adds on top of blur and rip your stream.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ufarn posted:

Would be cool if someone did the OBS test again and included the AMD encoder so we could just compare the videos side by side on YouTube.

NewFatMike posted:

Wouldn't the YouTube encoding gently caress that?
You tell me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK6IVEfJLqk

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dante80 posted:

Yes. My C2D still runs games valiantly. Wish I did get the Q6600 back then though.

These days used CPUs of any generation older than Sandy Bridge are rather cheap, to the point that you could get something like a Q9400 or X3350 for $20 if you're still using that system and care. Bloomfield/Westmere and Lynnfield systems are an especially good value proposition; I got an old 1156 board the other day and was able to push an X3440 that I picked up for $25 up to ~4GHz, not really much worse than my main system's 2500K at 4.4.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I can't reproduce such good results even with 4000kbps doing slow x264 encoding, yet that guy claims he's doing 2500? I'd like to see that, I really would, but it seems bs.

e: downloaded the vid, it's a 1080p 4Mbps video, 4Mbps live streamed with a modern card or even x264 will look like absolute balls, so that video is definitely captured to disk and then reencoded, or maybe just uploaded to youtube as is and let it do the processing.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

I was curious so I took a look at some historical Steam HW survey data.

Feb 2009 - 15% quad core
May 2011 - 26% quad core
Feb 2013 - 43% quad core
Feb 2017 - 48% quad core

I'd put this down to Intel pushing dual cores in laptops. The dual core i7s are great marketing, using the desktop performance brand to push their mobility skus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does them pushing dual core affect quad core numbers?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Two hyperthreaded cores appearing as 4?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
'I need a new laptop. *buys dual core U or Y to replace higher power 4 core*' or 'I need a laptop. *buys recent dual core laptop due to cost* Oh, whats this Counterstrike/DOTA/Bindings of Isaac/etc? *makes steam account*'

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

PCGH has some interesting graphs on 720p core scaling, too bad they didn't add min fps. Quadcores aren't looking so hot. :(

Err, what does the X axis indicate? Y says framerate, X is what? Time?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aesculus posted:

Ah, I thought they were measuring C not T, but that makes sense.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Aesculus posted:

You'd think the steam hardware survey just identifies the processor model and already knows the difference. I mean, it knows I have a GTX 1080, not a "1500 whatever shaders device." Surely it just asks the operating system "What is your CPU model?"

Otherwise we'd be seeing a lot of "8-core" i7's, right?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Subjunctive posted:

How does them pushing dual core affect quad core numbers?
I think the point was most people only buy one system at a time, if they buy a dual core they're not buying a quad core because they're choosing one or the other.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Err, what does the X axis indicate? Y says framerate, X is what? Time?

At first I was thinking # of threads at once considering it peaks at 16 and worsens quickly after that, but the colors have enabled cores or something, so I'd guess that if it were the case, they'd all be at different #'s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Col.Kiwi posted:

I think the point was most people only buy one system at a time, if they buy a dual core they're not buying a quad core because they're choosing one or the other.

Oh, hmm. So the dual core numbers are growing instead? I should dig out the survey but it's so painful on my phone.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, hmm. So the dual core numbers are growing instead? I should dig out the survey but it's so painful on my phone.
I can't imagine dual core numbers are growing. I thought the discussion was about why quad core numbers aren't growing faster. Or, if you prefer, why they're growing at the rate that was mentioned

edit: punctuation

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 6, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, I thought they were measuring C not T, but that makes sense.
They specifically say they are physical cores, not threads.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Laptops are a very big segment of shipments. Quad core would've grown faster if they pushed quadcores on mobile is what I'm getting at. Just look at the gpu skewing to Intel instead of discrete. We've tapered off at near 50% quadcore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Laptops make up most of new PC shipments but probably not Steam users, based on 16% of Intel GPUs, maybe 20-25%? Most of which would be dual core, so I'd guess that like 80% of desktops are quad core (the survey refers to physical cores, not HT).

Anyway, would be interesting to see if AMD gets over 20% share , and helps 8 cores reach a full percent.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The steam hardware survey is meaningless at this point when it comes to westerners because it's probably >80% Russian/Chinese/Brazilian DOTA 2 players with computers from 2005.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Hahah Anandtech's review has zero gaming benchmarks? They must have given them a pallet of cash to push that out a few weeks to a part 2.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahah Anandtech's review has zero gaming benchmarks? They must have given them a pallet of cash to push that out a few weeks to a part 2.

:tinfoil:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

K8.0 posted:

The steam hardware survey is meaningless at this point when it comes to westerners because it's probably >80% Russian/Chinese/Brazilian DOTA 2 players with computers from 2005.

I've noticed they're still heavily slanted towards old GPUs as well. Not that if you bought the high end in 2011-12 you'd need to run out and get the best because they'll still play medium-high for new titles, but the hardware survey is still loaded with Fermi and VLIW cards. They are also very heavily slanted by mobile results.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm sorry but if you don't think there was a reason behind the premier cpu review site on the internet deciding to exclude all gaming benchmarks at launch for the first time ever then you're just wrong. This is insane. It's loving Anandtech. "Deep dive" indeed.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't think there was a reason behind the premier cpu review site on the internet deciding to exclude all gaming benchmarks at launch for the first time ever then you're just wrong. This is insane. It's loving Anandtech. "Deep dive" indeed.

You mean like the fact that they did almost the entirety of their testing while attending press events (like actually in the hotel) and therefore just ran the scripted CPU tests? He also put up a poll on twitter and only 26% of ~200 said that gaming results would be more interesting.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Oh ok sounds like Ian is on the up and up sorry my bad I'm sure that interview came with no strings attached my bad bro

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

Oh ok sounds like Ian is on the up and up sorry my bad I'm sure that interview came with no strings attached my bad bro

Apparently one other factor is he may be redoing all gaming tests on Win10 since they haven't built up much of a dataset (i.e. nothing) on that yet. Even the 7700K tests were run on Win7

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

K8.0 posted:

That doesn't make any sense if you look at the actual results they get.

If we look at a system built out of the most common attribute for each parameter, we get the most common Steam device as:
nVidia graphics (59.8%)
DirectX 12 supported (74.89%)
Intel CPU (78.15%)
2.3 Ghz to 2.69 Ghz CPU (20.41%)
4 real cores (47.74%)
Windows 10 64 bit OS (47.71%)
8 GB RAM (34.22%)
1 GB VRAM (33.35%)
1920x1080 primary display (43.23%)
Hard drive space above 1 TB (30.44%)
OS Language English (43.67%)
SSE4.1 support on CPU (88.21%) (SSE4.1 is only available in systems from 2007 or later in Intel-land (starting with Penryn Core 2 Duo) and Bulldozer or later in AMD-land so 2011 and later)

That last part basically means that less than 12% of systems surveyed by Steam are older than 10 years, and since there were still computers getting sold or built new with new CPUs without SSE4.1 up til like 2009 or so in Intel and until a few years ago in AMD (because the Phenom chips were often still better than Bulldozer), it'd be even less of the non-supporting set that are really old.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I don't know if I've been tumbling into the rabbit whole or not, but based on a lot of rumors, some future path is coalescing for AMD

New WSA agreement gives AMD (supposedly) more flexibility in choosing foundry
Raven Ridge has two separate dies, one targeting mobile and one targeting desktop/server
AMD is delaying the launch of R5 until Q2 and R3 until H2 of 2017 (usually Q3)
7nmFF isn't planned for CPU's until late 2018, long time with zero new product
Discussion on Anandtech with the Stilt leads to the possibility 14nmLPP is utterly frequency tapped out, and as long as they remain on that process they'll only ever get better efficiency but never better performance - this is okay for servers, maybe even mobile, but for desktop it's not good.
This leaves 16nmFF+ and apparently 14nmLPU for AMD before 7nm and thus late 2018 (lets be real, mid 2019). Again, Stilt is of the opinion that since 14nmLPU is unproven, AMD will move to 16nmFF+ and that the cost of paying GloFo and porting the design is worth it.
Calling back to before, this means GloFo will continue to manufacture Zen in 14nmLPP for Server and mobile as Zen Gen1 and Raven Ridge mobile. The second Raven Ridge chip for desktop and Zen+ will be made at TSMC on 16nmFF+ or the rumored optimized 12nmFF+.
It's conspiracy theory level, but the the early release with highest margins possible is designed to get the cash flow to move designs (CPU, potentially GPU) to TSMC. The idea is to eat the early "bad" reviews for the better product in late 2017, early 2018.

I have no idea why I am trying to make sense of this launch, it just feels so Phenom I.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This isn't as bad as Phenom I because Ryzen is actually a functional chip

The errata as of current are just slightly worse than the level of Conroe's teething pains, ie why Intel now has chipsets on lockdown

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

Anandtech is critically short-staffed because they are broke financially, so lots of their reviews are late. If they were in AMD's pocket they would presumably have had a much better-looking Ryzen article at launch that painted AMD in a much better light.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....Wait, wasn't that the _entire point_ of Anand selling Anandtech off?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Also on Anandtech forums, something interesting was pointed out by The Stilt

quote:

Regarding the ST: 1800X at default, with turbo & XFR enabled scores 162 in Cinebench 15. With the TDP (PPT) limited to 30W the score is 155.

Ryzen is not a high frequency design and basically gains nothing with it's clocks pushed way up. Yes it does eek out more performance, but from what we know, 3.0Ghz across all cores is 65W, something like ~2.8Ghz is, based on the TheStilts charts, the ~30W range and 3.3Ghz is the last step before it needs before voltage requirements shoot to the moon. My impression is that Ryzen can completely trounce Intel in performance per watt in mobile and server, but it really does need a high performance cousin for workstation, HPC and desktop. I know I was a bit woe betide about Zens server chances but the Stilt makes it sound like Ryzen can beat even a massive price drop for Intel's current offerings.

Over/under AMD will be selling 16/24/32C Naples for 1200/1800/2400$.

eames
May 9, 2009

Interesting Ryzen talk to run in the background with a guy that actually knows what he's talking about.

I linked to the ECC discussion which has some new info — the systems support ECC RAM and correct single bit errors but the correction reporting and two bit system halt features seem to be missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbwuLdHbMg&t=1896s

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Actually speaking of Wendell

https://twitter.com/tekwendell/status/838617988920184832
http://valid.x86.fr/u5xhc7

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

Interesting Ryzen talk to run in the background with a guy that actually knows what he's talking about.

I linked to the ECC discussion which has some new info — the systems support ECC RAM and correct single bit errors but the correction reporting and two bit system halt features seem to be missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbwuLdHbMg&t=1896s

A novel solution proposed by Wendell: Have the motherboard manufacturers present the two core complexes as two separate chips to the OS, would avoid the thread switching and cache issues that are presently being seen *without* the need for a scheduler patch down the line. :doh:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A novel solution proposed by Wendell: Have the motherboard manufacturers present the two core complexes as two separate chips to the OS, would avoid the thread switching and cache issues that are presently being seen *without* the need for a scheduler patch down the line. :doh:

Isn't there a disadvantage to doing this though?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does Linux have these thread scheduling problems? I want to see some Linux gaming benchmarks. I want someone to establish the high-end processor of choice for Linux gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

My impression is that Ryzen can completely trounce Intel in performance per watt in mobile and server
This was the big goal of the Zen core (as well as have a new architecture for servers since 2010, yeesh). If they can translate that to ultrabook-usable dual core APUs (and the binned Polaris 11 parts are comically efficient), they're golden in mobile.

FaustianQ posted:

Isn't there a disadvantage to doing this though?
I think it's the same problem dual socket boards have, though I can't remember those off the top of my head

On the chip design, Intel has separated cache banks that are transparently unified by the time whatever reaches the OS. There's no reason why AMD couldn't do this, at least for Z+.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread