Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How many pets fit in a pet house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
One.

Is there an easier way to get tool upgrade materials? Not all are sold in stores and I'm getting like 1 black stone per day if I'm lucky.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Fun Times! posted:

One.

Is there an easier way to get tool upgrade materials? Not all are sold in stores and I'm getting like 1 black stone per day if I'm lucky.

I started save scumming for black rocks just to get the initial upgrades out of the way. Apparently upgrading your hammer makes them less likely to appear. http://www.thonky.com/story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns/mining

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Fun Times! posted:

One.

Ohhhh noooo I want like four dogs.

Also, is there a way to get lumber faster than waiting for trees to grow or buying it?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Fun Times! posted:

One.

As a reminder, the tool upgrades (the earlier ones, at least) take black rocks, not stones. Don't be like your pal turnipfritters and process the rocks into stones.

I feel like this game has the same issues with crafting that ANB and SOS had: There's a ton of stuff to make, but most of it is of dubious usefulness and it all tends to require difficult/rare materials. I can't tell if it's better or worse here, since you don't have to craft literally every single thing like you did in ANB/SOS, but now you have even less space to work with...

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i have a lot of black rocks but iron just won't drop for me.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Blhue posted:

i have a lot of black rocks but iron just won't drop for me.

I had the same problem. I ended up buying most of them once the shop upgraded.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
One of the guides online says to wait three days between mining to have a higher chance of getting good ore rather than rocks. I tried it and I got 3 pieces of iron from one spot. It seemed to work.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i've just gone back to the old standby: savescumming. reload until i get something useful instead of a collection of rocks, pebbles, and glass stones.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Ohhhh noooo I want like four dogs.

Also, is there a way to get lumber faster than waiting for trees to grow or buying it?

You can have up to 12 pets; you just have to put down one pet house per pet.

http://fogu.com/sos2/your-farm/pets.html

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Catalina posted:

You can have up to 12 pets; you just have to put down one pet house per pet.

http://fogu.com/sos2/your-farm/pets.html

good, being limited to a tiny number of pets is one of the worst things in HM. especially in animal parade where if you want to get rid of a pet to make room for another, they go back to being a stray :(

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
when does stamina start to feel a lil bit better, or am I meant to just be ramming food down my gullet constantly? I'm only in Summer 1 but I still basically wipe out 60%+ of my stamina just watering the fields you start with in the morning.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MotU posted:

when does stamina start to feel a lil bit better, or am I meant to just be ramming food down my gullet constantly? I'm only in Summer 1 but I still basically wipe out 60%+ of my stamina just watering the fields you start with in the morning.

Upgrading your tools' weights helps, eating lunch with villagers helps, it looks like you can increase your stamina too. I got an extra heart on Summer 14 after completing the first batch of farm tips, but I'm not sure how directly those events were related?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MotU posted:

You get a heart after every Farming tip, 1 for getting every village to Rank A, and 1 more for getting married, for a maximum of 10 hearts. There's food effects that can slow down your stamina usage as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You can get a puppy dog and walk the puppy dog and go on a treasure hunt and oh good lord is it adorable. The puppy dog even jumps with you!

I am irrationally happy about taking my virtual puppy dog walking. The only sad thing is that I have to wait a while before I can get a husky.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Bummer that pets can't go inside places with you, otherwise I'd have one with me all the time.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, if you upgrade your hammer but still want to mine for black rocks, you can buy a second hammer from one of the general stores and keep it alongside your upgraded one.

Do the wild animals and stray dogs and cats do anything?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So seriously, is the only way to get lumber is to buy it or chop it down on your property? Because I've already chopped the trees on my property down.

Also, what do I upgrade on my hammer to get rare items?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

So seriously, is the only way to get lumber is to buy it or chop it down on your property? Because I've already chopped the trees on my property down.

Also, what do I upgrade on my hammer to get rare items?

Effectiveness

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Later on you can plant seedlings to grow more trees on your farm. They grow pretty quickly but I still usually just buy the lumber because it's easier.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I have bought this game.

I have quickly determined that it is terrible.

Who the hell gives you six characters to name poo poo, jeez. Even old Pokemon gave you more characters than that. Are we back in the SNES era or something?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So i noticed there's a type of fertilizer that claims to improve the yield of your crops, but I also notice that isn't one of the traits tracked on the quality gauge. Anyone experimented with that to see if that trait carries over like the others when you use the seed maker, or is that applied just to that generation of a crop?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Blhue posted:

So i noticed there's a type of fertilizer that claims to improve the yield of your crops, but I also notice that isn't one of the traits tracked on the quality gauge. Anyone experimented with that to see if that trait carries over like the others when you use the seed maker, or is that applied just to that generation of a crop?

The yield increase resets after the first harvest. You also gotta be careful using it with certain crops, as it decreases the size parameter

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

has there been an australian or uk release mentioned anywhere at all? :( my 3ds is PAL only

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I can't believe they gave the eastern town's rep Asian buck teeth lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I wish the game had a third camera distance option. It's really hard to take good screenshots of your farm

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Linnaeus posted:

The yield increase resets after the first harvest. You also gotta be careful using it with certain crops, as it decreases the size parameter

ill file that under "don't bother" then.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

I can't believe they gave the eastern town's rep Asian buck teeth lol

the way racist westerners think of all asians is how racist japanese think of all other asians, ie. buck teeth, yellow skin, slanty eyes, glasses

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The cow faces look like butts.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Why are these weirdos bringing mayo to the drink contest? Gross

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Important PSA about the Cooking Festival: Make sure you bring both the ingredients for your dish AND the recipe. If you have to forfeit because you didn't have the recipe, the judge will get to you, comment on you not having a dish, and proceed to publicly humiliate you in front of all your friends and family.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I hope everyone has been visiting the creepy entertainer regularly. I just finished the story about a kid who is maybe in a coma and his dad died. Now onto the story about battling idols!

There is some weird stuff in this game.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

Important PSA about the Cooking Festival: Make sure you bring both the ingredients for your dish AND the recipe. If you have to forfeit because you didn't have the recipe, the judge will get to you, comment on you not having a dish, and proceed to publicly humiliate you in front of all your friends and family.

lol

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I just assumed they wouldn't have put the dialogue in, and let you forfeit with watching a "regular" cooking contest, but nope.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Save your weeds for fertilizer.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I find myself saving a lot of things in general in Trio of Towns, moreso than usual since I figure it'll pop up in a part-time job, so I don't ship everything right away.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly same. I was wondering why money had been so tight for me and then I realized it was because I wasn't shipping like 90% of the stuff I picked up/grew. Now that I've got a seed maker I don't need to worry about saving so much produce. I still horde all the foraging stuff though for crafting.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I assume seed quality doesn't grow in the stores if you ship higher quality? I really miss that feature from Rune Factory.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Man it costs 800g/day to fertilize my crops. Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Man it costs 800g/day to fertilize my crops. Is it worth it?

If it costs too much, pick a crop you want to raise for competition and just fertilize it (and make sure to water it twice a day because that'll improve the juiciness rating). If you have crops that keep producing after harvest, you may want to fertilize them.

There's no real reason to fertilize quick growing crops like radishes or potatoes though unless you've got a seed maker.

• Locked thread