Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Props to this guy for rayeling on an 85-86 Honda Elite 150. Those things have some motor on them but drum brakes front and rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Props to this guy for rayeling on an 85-86 Honda Elite 150. Those things have some motor on them but drum brakes front and rear.

I want to give a shout-out to the book bag that kept him from sailing under the guard rail and into a fun-tactic descent over that hill like his Croc took. Or possibly into the next anchoring post which would've flayed his balls. Either or.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My hopes that the liner changes in the Schuberth C3 Pro from the C3 would get rid of the hot spot the C3 gave me were dashed today. Ordered a closeout from Revzilla, wore it around the house for 20 minutes, put it back in its box and will be shipping it back tomorrow.

Having a long oval head is a real pain in the rear end. Arais fit great but they look like they belong on a space suit and are ridiculously expensive for what you get. $1k+ for the Isle of Man graphic, $700+ for any other graphic, and over $600 for solid colors? Get hosed

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n posted:

Rec for hipster Levi 511 cut?
A/S Oscar Charlie, Dai D1 EVO, Dai Bonneville Slim. I daily drive 511's (since my Naked and Famous had a horrible crotch blowout :rip:) and I really liked the fit on all 3 of them. Contrary to every other piece of gear they make, Dainese's jean armor is my favorite from any manufacturer.

Sagebrush posted:

A highly race-oriented boot isn't going to be super comfortable for all day walking around, but there are plenty that are a little less hardcore that will be great.
A/S Supertech R's are legitimately more comfortable than any actual shoe that I own. Unfortunately they're too bulky to wear without tucking your jeans into them, which is just a bit :rice: for me. At one point I was considering a pair of Dai Axial Pro Ins for street wear, since they're super slim, but they are possibly the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on my feet. I could unironically go hiking in Supertechs, whereas with Axial Ins, I don't think I'd want to walk from my GS to Starbucks.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 22, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My A* smx plus are actually pretty comfortable, and they're small enough I can fit dickies over them so only the bottom part of the boot is sticking out. It still looks like you're wearing ski boots, but it's not as obvious as when I have leather pants tucked in.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A Furry came into our store to see if his costume's head would fit into a helmet bag. It would not fit.

In other news, I finally got to try on an astars toucan boot and :swoon:

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 24, 2017

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I got an HJC FG17 today, seems to be the only thing locally (nobody has my fuckin size, I'm between 2x and 3x) under $700 (CAD) that fits me properly and bonus nachos it was $80. Smokin deal and babby's first helmet factor aside these seem pretty well regarded on the internet, any goons got experience with them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My first helmet was the CL16, the ABS version of the previous generation of that helmet (yours is fiberglass) so, while it's not quite the same, they're a similar design. It was/is a good helmet, a little heavier and noisier than a Shoei etc. but good.

Get the neck curtain bit, it helps with wind noise a lot.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I have an FG-17 now, it's a nice, cheap helmet. Came from a CL-16, kinda miss the drop-down shades but the FG-17 is/feels much lighter, so decent enough tradeoff. No real issues, but buy some cat crap or similar to help keep fogging down.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I have a weird problem with the Kriega R3 Waistpack. Basically the strings are way too long and I can't tighten it up enough. I measured them untied or loosen at max lenght and they're about 180 cm!!! My waist measures about 100 cm, which is quite average I'd say, so the issue is not on my side so to speak. Pulling the left buckle and the right ring at max I can get rid of about 60-70cm but still it makes 110-120 cm of waistband availabale which basically makes the thing fall on my feet as soon as I stand up, even with my leather jacket on :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

froody guy posted:

I have a weird problem with the Kriega R3 Waistpack. Basically the strings are way too long and I can't tighten it up enough. I measured them untied or loosen at max lenght and they're about 180 cm!!! My waist measures about 100 cm, which is quite average I'd say, so the issue is not on my side so to speak. Pulling the left buckle and the right ring at max I can get rid of about 60-70cm but still it makes 110-120 cm of waistband availabale which basically makes the thing fall on my feet as soon as I stand up, even with my leather jacket on :ohdear:

I didn't realize Kriega was an American brand.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I didn't realize Kriega was an American brand.

Didn't realize Murica left the Commonwealth. Sir. :britain:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

-Inu- posted:

Try Dainese Bonneville Regulars. Alternatively, A/S Coppers.

Thanks, trying those on this week when I have time to go down to cyclegear :)

Any reason I shouldn't get an Icon Overlord jacket? It seems to be reasonable protection for day to day riding (D3O), and looks decent, and the price is great. If 80% of my riding is gonna be sub 60mph these first few months (mostly commuting), is it a bad jacket especially if I'm a sweaty pig who needs lots of ventilation?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Stayed up until 1:30am last night refurbishing a part that costs £5. I make the best life choices. :beerpal:

e/ why the heck did I post this in the gear thread? I really need to stop posting after dark.

Anyway, now I have a post that actually is gear related: don't buy Keis. Pictured today after one season:

I'm pretty sure this tear started mostly because I caught them on something, but the fact I didn't notice it happening tells me it tore pretty easily, which doesn't say much for how the glove would hold up in a crash. Other leather parts around the seams are showing some wear too, but seem like they should be good for at least one, maybe two more winters.

Between this and the fact that the embedded heat controller is buggy as gently caress and impossible to troubleshoot except at a complete stop, I really don't feel they're worth the £20-50 I saved buy not buying a set of Gerbings.

The heating elements are great, pretty much unnoticeable and heating quickly and evenly, but only when they actually receive power. The controller in the back of the glove is very susceptible to brown outs and temporary blackouts, and its default state is off, so if you lose power mid-ride you have to stop to reset the wires and turn everything back on (you can't just push the button because sudden power loss fucks with the functionality of the button. Also because the buttons are on the backs of your loving hands whose idea was this :bang:). I understand that Gerbing's controller is designed to cope with blackouts by resuming whatever it was doing before as soon as power is restored, making this a non-issue.

tl;dr: great when they work, made overwinter touring and commuting possible down to 0'C. Potentially very finicky however, and apparently not that well built. The definition of false economy. Save up for Gerbings instead. (which getgeared are currently flogging for only £110 a pair, ironically cheaper than the list price of these Keis gloves)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh yeah and there's no wrist strap, so you can't cinch them on to your hand properly. Mine only fit acceptably because I wear liner gloves.

I'm sure I can close this tear up somehow and get at least another season out of these gloves, but it's really just the last straw. I've gotten used to them, but they're just not a very well thought out motorcycling product.

Any suggestions for fixes are welcome. I was thinking liquid rubber or similar, though I have this sneaking suspicion that might tear just as easily, especially since this is on my throttle hand.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Article is from October, but Shoei is releasing the RF-RS next month. Looks like it'll replace the Qwest. $400 makes it their new entry level.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/shoeis-new-for-2017-rf-sr-helmet

Comes with pinlock, too!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

its all nice on rice posted:

Article is from October, but Shoei is releasing the RF-RS next month. Looks like it'll replace the Qwest. $400 makes it their new entry level.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/shoeis-new-for-2017-rf-sr-helmet

Comes with pinlock, too!

I love my Qwest, but it's probably time to replace it. Had it for a decent amount of time. This looks like an excellent replacement.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I tried the SENA 20S a couple weeks back, and really didn't like it. It just didn't seem very competent at connecting with other SENA's, kept unpairing with my music on my phone, music quality (even through connected earbuds) was poor, and the UI was terrible. Since everyone else seems to love these, what am I missing?

For the price I expected at least basic competency. Are there any good alternatives, given that everyone seems to have some sort of SENA? I'm considering picking up a cheap chinese two way unit, for small rides and stuff.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Did you update the firmware? I had a couple of music connection issues between my 20s and phone a couple months ago, but updating the firmware fixed it.
What didn't you like about the UI? It's all pretty simple, and you can control a bunch of stuff from your connected phone. The only thing I use the jog dial for is volume, and I use voice commands for everything else.
The audio quality on any BT unit isn't going to rival something from bose. That's just the nature of the beast.
People think that SENA is the end all be all, but Scala makes good units too. I've used units from both companies and both have their pros and cons. I definitely preferred the audio quality of the Scala over the SENA. Scala also has the waterproof/dustproof certification going for it.

E: If you thought the SENA was bad, you're going to be really disappointed in a cheap Chinese unit.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

I tried the SENA 20S a couple weeks back, and really didn't like it. It just didn't seem very competent at connecting with other SENA's, kept unpairing with my music on my phone, music quality (even through connected earbuds) was poor, and the UI was terrible. Since everyone else seems to love these, what am I missing?

For the price I expected at least basic competency. Are there any good alternatives, given that everyone seems to have some sort of SENA? I'm considering picking up a cheap chinese two way unit, for small rides and stuff.

just downgrade to a Sena SMH 10 R. Keep it simple and basic

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Alright, I'm going to start piecing together my track gear. I'm pretty much sold on the A* GP+ perf jacket, and at some point the Missile pants (if pants ever go on sale), I'm set for gloves and helmet, and then boots. I feel like a huge A* fanboy, but is there a better track/sport boot for the money than the SMX+?

I live in Florida, so vented/perf everything would be real nice if anyone has any suggestions.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sidi and Dainese make good boots, too. Go with the one that fits your feet.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
Let's talk when it's time to replace gear...

I have a friend who has an old pair of Sidi motocross boots that he LOVES. However, the our plastic is dry rotting & chipping away, 2 out of 4 buckles no longer work, and there's a place on the toe where a seam for the leather underneath is splitting.

He claims that they still have protective qualities (full grain leather under the disintegrating composite & high top protection). I say that it will disintegrate when he actually hits the road at any speed above 2 mph. Am I over reacting or is he being cheap? If it's the latter, are the Sidi Crossfire 2 boots a good replacement? He rides like a maniac, both on & off road.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
When they blow out they're done.

I own a pair of cf2s with SRS. The SRS is *not* waterproof.
Otherwise a solid boot if they fit your feet.

E: clarification.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 12, 2017

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I feel like a huge A* fanboy, but is there a better track/sport boot for the money than the SMX+?
Dainese Torque or Course series. They provide more lateral protection than the SMX+, but they are nowhere near as comfortable and run narrow. SMX+ run regular to slightly wide. Don't buy the Nexus series if you're looking at Dai - they have poo poo for lateral support (similar to an SMX-6 or similar).

I prefer the SMX+ personally; Dai boots are just too uncomfortable for me (plus I do not have a narrow foot).

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Are there any good brands that run wide or offer wide widths? I ended up settling for some side-zip non-motorcycle boots that look vaguely "tactical" and came in a wide. They work ok but someday I'd like actual motorcycle boots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

Are there any good brands that run wide or offer wide widths? I ended up settling for some side-zip non-motorcycle boots that look vaguely "tactical" and came in a wide. They work ok but someday I'd like actual motorcycle boots.

I have loving platypus flat feet and alpinestars fit me better than any pair of actual shoes I've ever owned.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

Alpinestars and TCX.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

-Inu- posted:

Alpinestars and TCX.

Gaerne for MX boots. Sidi for MX boots has adjustable calves, and Gaerne may as well, I don't know.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

mentalcontempt posted:

Tourmaster Solutions come in a dedicated wide size, but they lack meaningful protection. They'll be better than work/tactical boots, but not by a ton.

Sidi's Veritgo 'MEGA' (Mega means EE Width) are another dedicated wide size boot. They're beefier boots that'll keep you a lot safer if you find your leg between pavement and an engine. I tried these on, and they didn't fit my weird feet (Size 12, high volume, high arch, 4E width), but if your feet are less hobbit like, then you may be fine.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I must have mutant feet. I went to a local "superstore" and tried on every boot they had over 2 hours. Dainese felt better than Alpinestars and TCX. I was able to drop down a size in Dainese and still feel snug but comfortable. Both Alpinestars and TCX were too tight in width, unless I went up two sizes from normal which meant I had a good inch of extra space in the toebox.

So while there are plenty of recommendations coming through, I don't think there is any substitute for trying for your self.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

-Inu- posted:

Dainese Torque or Course series. They provide more lateral protection than the SMX+, but they are nowhere near as comfortable and run narrow. SMX+ run regular to slightly wide. Don't buy the Nexus series if you're looking at Dai - they have poo poo for lateral support (similar to an SMX-6 or similar).

I prefer the SMX+ personally; Dai boots are just too uncomfortable for me (plus I do not have a narrow foot).

Yeah I got some bigass feet, SMX+ it is then.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just to jump on the A* SMX+ bandwagon, I have big rear end feet (size 13 and too wide for a lot of dress shoes), and the boots are really comfortable. I've come home after riding and started doing poo poo around the house in them, then remembered hours later I need to change into shoes. It feels a bit like a ski boot when you're walking around, but a comfortable ski boot.

But I'd just go to a store and try on lots of boots.

*edit*
Maybe other people have an easier time adjusting, but I'd recommend wearing them around town a lot before you go to the track. They messed up my muscle memory and made me hit the rear brake a lot harder than I meant to, so I stalled a couple of times on hills adjusting to them. Now they feel normal and normal shoes feel weird, but there was an break in period.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Attention lady riders and also -Inu-

I am soon to be in the market for some relaxed/sumo fit one piece leathers. Pokie says some of you just wear men's, but I have thick thighs so men's pants don't really fit well. Do you have any advice? I live near SF, should I just go to the Dainese store and be fancy? Tia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well you should always go to the Dainese store and be fancy. I am a full Dainese Space Lord I'm sure you noticed

(they often have really great deals, like 40% off on old stock, and they have basically every Dainese product in stock in every size so that's great for fitting)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wear men's rs taichi that I had tailored fwiw. Regular women's poo poo is gonna be very limited, I actually don't know of any sumo-specific women's fit suits

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

M42 posted:

I wear men's rs taichi that I had tailored fwiw. Regular women's poo poo is gonna be very limited, I actually don't know of any sumo-specific women's fit suits

Can pretty much any tailor make minor adjustments or do I need to find a specialized one? If the latter, where did you send yours?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Can pretty much any tailor make minor adjustments or do I need to find a specialized one? If the latter, where did you send yours?

I'm a little leery because bad made to measure is so incredibly bad, but sounds like they have a tailor in house and if youre willing to spend I think this is going to be your most reliable option. You might also just see if their tailor will do or knows someone who will do alterations on motorcycle gear. http://www.dstoresanfrancisco.com/fitnet

The issue as I understand it is that you don't want someone using regular thread on a structural seam. Also, thick leather is difficult to work with.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

builds character posted:

I'm a little leery because bad made to measure is so incredibly bad, but sounds like they have a tailor in house and if youre willing to spend I think this is going to be your most reliable option. You might also just see if their tailor will do or knows someone who will do alterations on motorcycle gear. http://www.dstoresanfrancisco.com/fitnet

The issue as I understand it is that you don't want someone using regular thread on a structural seam. Also, thick leather is difficult to work with.

The issue with the DStore CustomWorks is that it's allll the way in October, but I guess I'll make such inquiries when I go there in a couple weeks from now. If they have a staff tailor who's just around to make minor adjustments for people buying new off-the-rack suits, that'd be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

There is Just Leather in San Jose - they make custom leather poo poo. I imagine they might customize something too. I don't have personal xp with them.