Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:boom: After a month of planning, and untold hours of work, my first vinyl wrap job turned out really well.

When I find replacement fork guards, those will be yellow. I hate that I have to wait for that part. I'll also be doing the wheels half/half Yellow/Red and Teal/Blue.

The teal bits never come out in photos, and are this color in person:

I used tracing paper to get the logo from the enduro set of plastics' decals (which are still intact because I love them), and painstakingly replicated them like this.

In person, all the colors and placement match up perfectly to this (which I've always loved since it was released in the 90's):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's really well done!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I love it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I love the teal. The whole thing looks really well done. It feels like I'm hallucinating something that isn't supposed to "be." Harlequin KTM. No one should ever have an excuse not to see you now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

:boom: After a month of planning, and untold hours of work, my first vinyl wrap job turned out really well.

When I find replacement fork guards, those will be yellow. I hate that I have to wait for that part. I'll also be doing the wheels half/half Yellow/Red and Teal/Blue.

The teal bits never come out in photos, and are this color in person:

I used tracing paper to get the logo from the enduro set of plastics' decals (which are still intact because I love them), and painstakingly replicated them like this.

In person, all the colors and placement match up perfectly to this (which I've always loved since it was released in the 90's):

Magnificent.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Awesome. What was it like trying to get the more rounded body panels wrapped? I want to do the rear panels on my Husky but I'm worried with how convex they are

High Protein fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2017

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Well I hosed up, wrote the S1000 off in a thoroughly stupid and embarrassing way.

So I bought another bike! I'm taking it crazy easy, and I hope to keep this one for quite a few years. I test rode a local one, so felt buying one interstate would be the best bet (holy gently caress was I wrong).

'06 ZX-12R. Hoping to be able to do some longer distance stuff (first for me), so managed to finagle a full pillion kit along with a helmet case and a bunch of other cool poo poo.
Looking forwards to doing some fun stuff with this one!

Couldn't sleep overnight, so I uhh.. tried installing the rack and poo poo. I am terrible at this stuff, and of course.. you're supposed to put it together before putting it on the bike.

Getting somewhere! I even managed to get those passenger handles off without breaking anything, which is genuinely surprising.

Turns out I loving suck at logging things, so I got it all together. Then I tried putting the seat back on and.. oh.

The latch fouls on the top of the tail when I try sliding it back far enough to clip it down. :saddowns: ugh.

gently caress youuuuuuuuu :mad:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fingerling posted:

Well I hosed up, wrote the S1000 off in a thoroughly stupid and embarrassing way.
Story?

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Mixture of cold weather, tiredness and idiocy (wasn't doing anything irresponsible, though). I'd just come back from being overseas for 2 months and was super excited to get back on a bike. Should have taken my due diligence instead of jumping straight on a new bike. :saddowns:

Forums user Isolationist, (who can't figure out how to link images) and I went for a decent ride today. Though I'd told him the day before - and earlier in the week - to charge his Sena so I could abuse him with every stuffed corner, his charge lasted all of 20 minutes into the expedition. Sped.

Headed east out of Adelaide through some of the most well-known hills for the area, then out onto the tundra thereafter. Surprisingly pretty out there, along with some decent roads (I did get tired of yelling out "BUMPS!" mid corner).

It's a pity there's no real space before this to pull over without being smeared - the hills behind us were akin to what I imagine Scotland must look like.. only brown.

Iso logged at a guess 60% of our trip. We continually find ourselves travelling along the same roads, so we downloaded an app which plots the path you took. Can be really helpful finding roads you enjoyed!

I also put my tank cover on.. and promptly decided it looked freaking terrible and immediately removed it to install the black one. My one defence about this is.. it looks better in person. Black looks better though.

For comparison

Also need to find a powdercoater somewhat near me who can coat the framework on the back of the bike. I'm otherwise pretty happy with how it's looking from an aesthetic point of view.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Why the tank covers? Dirt/sand will get trapped under them and scratch the hell out of the clear.

If they're there for attachment points to make a tank bag easy to mount up, you might want to look at something like the SW Motech/Bags Connection bags that use a locking ring around the gas cap.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fingerling posted:

Iso logged at a guess 60% of our trip. We continually find ourselves travelling along the same roads, so we downloaded an app which plots the path you took. Can be really helpful finding roads you enjoyed!
Iso?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fingerling posted:

Forums user Isolationist,

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ah. I was hoping it was the logging tool he used.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I actually like this one. There is no accounting for taste, I suppose :v.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hayabusa wanna be bike

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
The app I was using to log rides is Eat Sleep Ride. It has good mapping functionality, unreliable lean angle data (because who gives a poo poo & inaccurate sensors), the biggest side positive for me is the crash detection; if I'm logging a ride and the phone senses rapid movement and followed by a period of being stationary, it sends a text/automated call to your nominated contacts, passing on the GPS coordinates.

Fingerling, gently caress you I won't charge what you tell me (now charged and on my helmet).

Jazz, I've tried explaining that. Tank bras are the answer to a question noone asked. Useless things.

Razzled, funny you say that; I just totalled my B-King, and fingerling vastly prefers that 12 to the King (which was quite aggressively tuned, and was far sportier than the buses I've experienced). Regardless, I think we can all agree that my ghetto ratbike is the star of the show, and much faster.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If it's not for a tank bag, then what's the tank bra for? Unless you're trying to cover paint damage, or trying to create some, they're even more useless than a bag

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

If it's not for a tank bag, then what's the tank bra for? Unless you're trying to cover paint damage, or trying to create some, they're even more useless than a bag

I use a tank bra to hide Armando's* shame from the world.

*my bike

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I do it with six.

The scoot is probably still my favorite. Tons of miles on it now, I've even taken it across state lines. I just got done fully building the motor. It's an 80cc build with a performance cam, EXTREMELY high comp head (it's definitely gonna blow eventually, even on 93), Japanese carb, custom jetting, stainless exhaust, custom intake, etc. I've clocked it with the GPS "My Tracks" app at a peak of 47mph which is loving terrifying on a chinese scoot. Yes those are Pirelli Diablo tires on there btw. I actually threw away a ton of peak power with my transmission tune, basically trading low-end grunt for peak speed. Definitely the right choice for dense urban environments. I regularly pass cars with it on the local 4-lane by my house.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

revmoo posted:

I do it with six.

That middle one is cleeeeeean. Very nice. Love the white.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

It's for a tank bag - I bought the cover (silver), pillion frame and helmet-case together. I've not looked into other alternatives for the tank-compartment side of things (also selection is severely limited in Australia). I was testing the fitment on it, and haven't removed it.

Razzled: duly noted!! thanks for the input

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

revmoo posted:

I do it with six.

The scoot is probably still my favorite. Tons of miles on it now, I've even taken it across state lines. I just got done fully building the motor. It's an 80cc build with a performance cam, EXTREMELY high comp head (it's definitely gonna blow eventually, even on 93), Japanese carb, custom jetting, stainless exhaust, custom intake, etc. I've clocked it with the GPS "My Tracks" app at a peak of 47mph which is loving terrifying on a chinese scoot. Yes those are Pirelli Diablo tires on there btw. I actually threw away a ton of peak power with my transmission tune, basically trading low-end grunt for peak speed. Definitely the right choice for dense urban environments. I regularly pass cars with it on the local 4-lane by my house.

Hell yeah "got some motorcycles but still love my scooter" bros :hfive:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
mostly kidding, i just thought it was funny because i saw the color scheme and kanji and immediately thought 'busa, but it was a zx

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Went up Mount Ham with Sagebrash today.

Crossed a couple of streams later and some nasty gravel. Gonna find those vids later.

pokie fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got an action shot of the water

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sagebrush, what mirrors are those on your Hawk?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're these bar-end dealios

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Kawasaki/dp/B0083SL82A/

with some custom 3D-printed adapters I made to get them on the regular mirror mounts at a ~30-degree angle as depicted. I'd like if they were about 2 inches further out on each side or about 20% bigger, but as it is they provide decent visibility while maintaining a very low profile for lane-splitting in dense traffic, which is what I wanted.

e: here's a somewhat better picture

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 26, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush, why do you have part of a used sock on your master cylinder?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keeps the brake fluid warm on cold nights. And it's a clean sock, thank you very much.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What's the deal with the slipped road on the front side of Hamilton? Can you get around it on a bike or did you go up Quimby?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

What's the deal with the slipped road on the front side of Hamilton? Can you get around it on a bike or did you go up Quimby?

We used quimby. Don't know if slipping by is possible on 130.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Just a shot of the SV + water crossing from this weekend.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Got myself a new toy.

The family

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Nice choice, one of the bikes on my shortlist to try when I'm finally unrestricted. Hows the sound out of the Akra? never seen one on a S1000.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Fanelien posted:

Nice choice, one of the bikes on my shortlist to try when I'm finally unrestricted. Hows the sound out of the Akra? never seen one on a S1000.
It's a sport litre bike. Make it a long time after you get unrestricted.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Is that a 2017? Did they finally resolve the vibes like they promised?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's such a dumb complaint IMO. Motorcycles vibrate. It's something that comes with the territory of "vehicle is an engine with two wheels." Get used to it :cmon:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Obviously all bikes vibrate, but there's a difference between "my tactile sense informs me this bike is currently running" and "it's only been five minutes and my entire body has white knuckle :gonk:"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well, a big thumper vibe is a pulverising crotch-pound that reminds you to stop and have a break/fill up with petrol.

An annoying 4 cylinder vibe is like the dentist drill sound but for your arms and legs and makes you annoyed and tired really quickly.

A v-twin vibe feels orgasmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

Fanelien posted:

For a stock can the sound is decent, the pop and crackle on downshift or throttle close is nice. That silly big euro 4 cat is what really sucks the life out of the exhaust though and because I don't legally need one I will be putting on the Akra headers and race pipe to drop some weight and up the volume.

ilkhan posted:

It's a sport litre bike. Make it a long time after you get unrestricted.

This thing is like a laser guided missile. The difference between a 29hp restricted bike and this at 165hp is a recipe for disaster if you are not paying attention. With that said it's a very easy bike to ride if you can control yourself.

Buhbuhj posted:

Is that a 2017? Did they finally resolve the vibes like they promised?

Yep, a fully loaded 2017 with the optional HP forged rims. I took a couple 2016 models for extended rides and only 1 of them had bad vibrations but this bike is better than all the 2016 models I rode. The big tell is that the mirrors are still functional over 100km/hr unlike the old model which was blur city at anything over 70km/hr.

Slavvy posted:

Well, a big thumper vibe is a pulverising crotch-pound that reminds you to stop and have a break/fill up with petrol.

An annoying 4 cylinder vibe is like the dentist drill sound but for your arms and legs and makes you annoyed and tired really quickly.

A v-twin vibe feels orgasmic.

I am still tempted to get the 2017 SDR or Tuono Factory as well but knowing what I know from friends it's all orgasmic until you get the bill for a service or the part wait time for a warranty item.

The 2017 S1000R is a very smooth bike and definitely a step up over the 2016. I put 250km on it today racing around the local mountains and some b roads, the seat is a little firm like all bikes but that is the only complaint and even then I am nit picking really.