Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You basically summed up a post I made about the movie a while ago that I paste in whenever anyone almost makes the mistake about watching Sin City 2.

But man there's like one or two moments in the JGL segment where it ALMOST comes together and is good. Like I'd have been down for a full movie that's just JGL raises himself up from nothing and has a deadly back and forth with his scumbag allpowerful dad for two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NikkolasKing posted:

And that was before I did some Googling and found out that Superman Returns has a far higher rating than Man of Steel.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/comics_and_graphic_novels_vs_the_critics/

loving hell, I just looked up the numbers. The RT score for MoS is 55% (audience score 75%), BvS is 28% (audience score 63%) and Suicide Squad is 25% (audience score 62%).

For comparison, Superman Returns is 76%, Swamp Thing is 64%, The Return of the Swamp Thing is 33% and Green Lantern is 26%.

Edit:
RT says this film is better than BvS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuK-A2rEFF4

And this film is more than twice as good as Suicide Squad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbqK4nw3R8

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 7, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Just find ppl who's opinions you trust & watch what they say is good while also occasionally watching movies considered classics or important & also arbitrarily watching movies that seem interesting to you when you have a whim to and you will live a long and joyful life.

Yeah, this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do you really want to watch 2 hours of this

https://youtu.be/Ho9zoH8Bi-U

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

You basically summed up a post I made about the movie a while ago that I paste in whenever anyone almost makes the mistake about watching Sin City 2.

But man there's like one or two moments in the JGL segment where it ALMOST comes together and is good. Like I'd have been down for a full movie that's just JGL raises himself up from nothing and has a deadly back and forth with his scumbag allpowerful dad for two hours.

Yup. It was the only time the movie had much life in it, which is a shame. It doesn't help that the film crams Marv into basically the exact same role in every story, which makes the whole outing feel like a way-too-late retread.

CelticPredator posted:

It's almost worse than I remembered. Like a fan film version of a sequel.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 7, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Just find ppl who's opinions you trust & watch what they say is good while also occasionally watching movies considered classics or important & also arbitrarily watching movies that seem interesting to you when you have a whim to and you will live a long and joyful life.

Its this. My decision to watch something goes:

"Am I interested?"
"Yes?" -> Watch it.
"No?" -> Don't watch it.
"Not Sure?" -> Check some reviews or ask around.

That simple, really. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it means in part that I pretty much never get hung up on the fact that people like movies I don't or don't like movies I do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Frank Miller, the man who directed Frank Miller's Sin City: A drat to Kill For and Frank Miller's Will Eisner's The Spirit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sin City was neat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Just watch movies, imo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rotten Tomatoes isn't a measure of how good a movie is, but how likely it is that your average person will like a movie. Being at, say, 60% doesn't mean that the movie averages out to a 6/10, but that 6 out of 10 people like it, to varying degrees (and 4 out of ten dislike it to varying degrees).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rotten Tomatos is fine. It's good if you're trying to pick between two films you don't care about in the theater.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DC Murderverse posted:

Rotten Tomatoes isn't a measure of how good a movie is, but how likely it is that your average person will like a movie. Being at, say, 60% doesn't mean that the movie averages out to a 6/10, but that 6 out of 10 people like it, to varying degrees (and 4 out of ten dislike it to varying degrees).

The Audience Rating, maybe. But isn't the actual aggregate more likely to be White Film Dudes?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

This scene is amazing. Even when nothing in the shot was in the same room as anything else in shot on the day, the bike still manages to miss both guys. They hosed up a CGI stunt on 'Dolamite misses his punch by a foot' kind of way.

The Rotten Tomatoes thing is interesting and reminds me of Australia's movie reviewing duo, Margeret Pomeranz and David Stratton. One would love a film, say, Pitch Black, which Margeret loved for being a fresh take on a cliched sub-genre, while the other would hate it. David thought Pitch Black didn't do nearly enough to break away from being an Alien clone. They had a long, long argument about genre fiction, conventions and cliches in general, and also the impact your age has on your appreciation. At the end of the long, quite intense and interesting discussion, Margeret gave it three and a half, David gave it three.

Rotten Tomatoes is basically that, but multiplied hundreds of times. Civil War was long, bloated and directionless, but fine. BvS was long, bloated and directionless, and not fine. Hundreds of 'almost, but not quite' reviews make BvS look like the worst thing ever, while hundreds of 'flawed, but fine' reviews make Civil War look like a masterpiece if you equate RT with actual quality.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CelticPredator posted:

If you're not a smug rear end in a top hat I'll listen to your opinion even if I don't agree.

Pretty rude of you to just dismiss my opinion like that.

Snowman_McK posted:

The Rotten Tomatoes thing is interesting and reminds me of Australia's movie reviewing duo, Margeret Pomeranz and David Stratton. One would love a film, say, Pitch Black, which Margeret loved for being a fresh take on a cliched sub-genre, while the other would hate it. David thought Pitch Black didn't do nearly enough to break away from being an Alien clone. They had a long, long argument about genre fiction, conventions and cliches in general, and also the impact your age has on your appreciation. At the end of the long, quite intense and interesting discussion, Margeret gave it three and a half, David gave it three.
Margaret and David own, but I think this has less to do with your overall point and more to do with David Stratton just being a bit of a weird, tedious dude who does stuff like that.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 7, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty rude of you to just dismiss my opinion like that.

Margaret and David own, but I think this has less to do with your overall point and more to do with David Stratton just being a bit of a weird, tedious dude who does stuff like that.

Nah, they would pretty consistently passionately disagree about a film, and then both give it three and a half.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the RT scoring system is incredibly flawed. A review that says "One of the greatest movies ever made, a genuine classic that elevates the entire medium to a new level" is weighted the same as a review that says "Eh, I guess it was okay" when they're calculating Freshness.

Also the critics scores are often wildly different from the audience scores.

I don't think RT is that flawed, but the way people view it is.

All you use RT for is to see what percentage of critics liked it. Then you can go ahead and use it to get a brief summary from critics, which is very useful if you want to see what someone you usually agree with is saying about it. Then you can dig deeper and read more reviews if you want.

Of course it isn't perfect, but it isn't supposed to be used for saying something like "oh it got a 30% so that means it's worse than this movie that got a 40%." It's just saying more critics liked the former more than the latter. And of course opinions are going to be different. Just don't use RT scores to compare the quality of movies, but use it as a quick was to see what the majority of critics thought.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, they would pretty consistently passionately disagree about a film, and then both give it three and a half.

Oh, they definitely did. I'm just saying I think that's because of David.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Codependent Poster posted:

Just don't use RT scores to compare the quality of movies

Oh I agree but I honestly can't think of a single time that anyone has ever mentioned RT scores in the forums except in the context of comparing films.

The only other time I've seen RT 'freshness' mentioned is when they print the logo on a DVD cover in lieu of actual review pull quotes

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Dragonshirt posted:

GotG 2 was fun as gently caress.

Man of Steel isn't original enough to "steal" anything from, sorry.

Wonder Woman is going to flop because it looks boring as poo poo.

now that's a spicy meat-a-ball

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

All you use RT for is to see what percentage of critics liked it. Then you can go ahead and use it to get a brief summary from critics, which is very useful if you want to see what someone you usually agree with is saying about it. Then you can dig deeper and read more reviews if you want.

Of course it isn't perfect, but it isn't supposed to be used for saying something like "oh it got a 30% so that means it's worse than this movie that got a 40%." It's just saying more critics liked the former more than the latter. And of course opinions are going to be different. Just don't use RT scores to compare the quality of movies, but use it as a quick was to see what the majority of critics thought.

Literally nobody talks about rotten tomato scores in the way you're talking about. They're alway brought up as a judgment of the films quality.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Literally nobody talks about rotten tomato scores in the way you're talking about. They're alway brought up as a judgment of the films quality.

Yeah, it's always "why would we go see that it has a 40% on RT, the other one has an 80%."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Yeah.

quote:

I don't know about that. Half again as good maybe.

Maybe not the best case for the terribleness of the RT system either way though. Also watch Swamp Thing 2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell, I just looked up the numbers. The RT score for MoS is 55% (audience score 75%), BvS is 28% (audience score 63%) and Suicide Squad is 25% (audience score 62%).

For comparison, Superman Returns is 76%, Swamp Thing is 64%, The Return of the Swamp Thing is 33% and Green Lantern is 26%.

Edit:
RT says this film is better than BvS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuK-A2rEFF4

I don't know about Swamp Thing but I enjoyd Swamp Thing 2 more than BvS and SS. It's good, campy fun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Forcing a binary opinion of good or bad on reviews is fine when movies are good or bad. Where Rotten Tomatoes' system breaks down is in the serviceable to ok range of movies. Then you've got nearly identical reviews counting for either side of the rating. Which can cause a cascade toward either rating for nearly any movie that is a solid 3 stars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mulva posted:

Also watch Swamp Thing 2.

The book is better

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

McCloud posted:

What the gently caress where they thinking?

Maybe people should eat healthy? :lol:

But let's just ravage a health product.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
my favorite are the X-Men Apocalypse Sunflower Seeds that were sitting in my nearest gas station until about a month ago.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe people should eat healthy? :lol:

But let's just ravage a health product.

No one would be complaining if WW was on Doritos. I think it's more about having a female superhero promoting weight loss stuff.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wanna see Wonder Woman shilling protein powder.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Well those are protein bars

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know the first thing about most of those movies but they're irrelevant here anyway. What i can comment on and find very interesting is that critics at least kind of liked 2003 Hulk. That's how I feel, too. It was trying something different, to tell a more personal story. I like stuff like Peter David's Hulk which is all about the psychological torment of Bruce Banner. That felt like what the movie was going for. I thought the cast was good, too. Ross and Betty anyway.

But it does drag and the ending is poo poo.

Actually, the ending of Hulk is very good. The father/son talk on the stage is an absolute delight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nick Nolte remains at the top of the heap of comic book villains.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well yeah he is but we're talking about characters in movies not real life

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ron Perlman in Blade II and Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2 are above him for me, but, yeah, Nolte is absolutely having the time of his life in that movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He's so epic.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

It's been ages since I've seen Lee's Hulk... I remember really liking it at the time of release but have been worried that it won't hold up. From the comments in this thread it seems that it does -- I should check it out again.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

do we know what the title refers to in the new thor movie ,
is ragnorak the cloned character from the comics or is ragnorak the name of the possible demise of thor's home planet

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
The only reason to watch Sin City 2 is Eva Green. Like, just only watch her chapters and it's a great movie, but it's just filled with a bunch of other poo poo that isn't worth watching. This also works with 300: Rise of an Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83NYseGd1dI
Worth posting, I think. Hans Zimmer's performance of parts of the MoS and BvS soundtracks at Coachella. Seriously too good. Trying to imagine Alan Silvestri doing this for the Avengers theme.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

An Apple A Gay posted:

is ragnorak the cloned character from the comics or is ragnorak the name of the possible demise of thor's home planet

Given the "visions" in Age of Ultron and stuff, I figured the Ragnarok of legend.

Although, aren't Asgardians in the MCU just really technologically advanced extradimensional aliens?They're not gods with literal magic or whatever?

Sir Potato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83NYseGd1dI
Worth posting, I think. Hans Zimmer's performance of parts of the MoS and BvS soundtracks at Coachella. Seriously too good. Trying to imagine Alan Silvestri doing this for the Avengers theme.

Awesome, thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

An Apple A Gay posted:

Ragnarok is the twilight of the gods when the forces of good and evil face off for a final confrontation that destroys everything. In some interpretations of the mythology it is seen as a cyclical thing, other interpretations see it as a type of Norse Armageddon. I think Marvel goes with a cyclical version.

With Hella being a main character the story is going to be about the destruction of Asgard and the Aesir. Likely ending with some sort of rebirth of Asgard which lets them both use the establish characters from Thor while also being able to conveniently ignore them when it suits their needs for Phase 3: These Contracts And Actors Ages Are Too High.

Did they decide to name Clone-Thor after Civil War and decided on Ragnarok? That's dumb.

• Locked thread