Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Eela6 posted:

The original Company of Heroes is still the peak of the genre IMO.

I agree with this. So many great ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Robo Reagan posted:

Any good mech games on the PC? Been watching Gundam and it makes me want to stomp around in a big, dumb robot.

Brigador.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I hate the mechs in Brigador, wheeled vehicles are more fun imho. Lots of vehicular variety.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've sort of had a hankering to get into a strategy game of some sort. I don't know much about them, other than having played Age of Empires 2 a long rear end time ago a little. I got Civ 5, and didn't know what the hell I was doing and gave up. I'm sure it's good and I'll give it another shot at some point, but I grabbed Age of Wonders 3 on sale just now. I've heard really great things about it, and I'm normally a RPG kind of dude. I saw it had an RPG tag in steam, so I'm just assuming it has some RPG elements mixed in. Would it be a good choice? Is it harder or easier to learn than Civ 5?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Age of Wonders is more or less a HoMM clone. You go around the map with your hero dudes clearing out points of interest and questing while building your economy at home.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The 8 bit series is light as is Stars in Shadows. I've enjoyed those quite a bit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've sort of had a hankering to get into a strategy game of some sort. I don't know much about them, other than having played Age of Empires 2 a long rear end time ago a little. I got Civ 5, and didn't know what the hell I was doing and gave up. I'm sure it's good and I'll give it another shot at some point, but I grabbed Age of Wonders 3 on sale just now. I've heard really great things about it, and I'm normally a RPG kind of dude. I saw it had an RPG tag in steam, so I'm just assuming it has some RPG elements mixed in. Would it be a good choice? Is it harder or easier to learn than Civ 5?

Civ 5 is as basic as it gets. Watch a few videos to pick it up quick, but otherwise if you don't get that you probably won't get other hex strategy games of its ilk. Age of Wonders 3 actually has combat mechanics and spells and all sorts of additional complexity, but it also has a campaign to direct you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah I'd say AoW 3 is probably more complex than Civ 5 overall, but a lot of that complexity comes from the character building and combat mechanics, and as an RPG fan that might be more familiar and thus easier for you to get the hang of. You have your heroes who are basically RPG characters, and they lead your armies of various units. And there's a shitload of variety in how different units interact with a given hero's special abilities and it's just a cool as hell game.

But really Civ 5 is pretty drat simple for what it is, so checking out a few tutorials or something should get you going.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
In the same vein of strategic battles and heavy use of RPG systems, give Expeditions Vikings a look. Doesn't have the scope of AoW or Civ games, you're a viking king or queen making a bunch of decisions in dialogue and running around with a party similar to cRPGs. I haven't beat it, but I'm having fun so far. And Expeditions Conquistadors is fairly highly regarded as well.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nordick posted:

But really Civ 5 is pretty drat simple for what it is, so checking out a few tutorials or something should get you going.
Civ 5 is really bad at teaching you how to actually play the game and reading their encyclopedia articles in-game doesn't really give much of a feel for how a mechanic plays out in practice. However, there's a bunch of streamers who did tutorial-type streams of their games, and once I watched one front to back, I had a way better understanding of what to do and why.

Now, not everyone may want to devote 10+ hours to watching a game being played, but if you do, it's gonna save you far more time than you'd spend on a couple of playthroughs where you bumble along trying to pick it up. It's a really great game and if it's what you're looking for, I'd watch a good streamer doing a tutorial. If nothing else, it should tell you whether it's something you'd be interested in playing further, since you'll see what you need to do to win.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azathoth posted:

Civ 5 is really bad at teaching you how to actually play the game and reading their encyclopedia articles in-game doesn't really give much of a feel for how a mechanic plays out in practice. However, there's a bunch of streamers who did tutorial-type streams of their games, and once I watched one front to back, I had a way better understanding of what to do and why.
Yeah I specifically meant third party tutorial videos, should've clarified that. I haven't looked into them myself so I wouldn't know what specific ones to recommend, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I hate the mechs in Brigador, wheeled vehicles are more fun imho. Lots of vehicular variety.

The variety is great, and while charging as a :killdozer: is fun, I have a soft spot for the Julius, the prettiest mech in the game.

Also it's fun to do the stomp.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nordick posted:

Yeah I specifically meant third party tutorial videos, should've clarified that. I haven't looked into them myself so I wouldn't know what specific ones to recommend, though.

Smite's old Civ V steams worked a treat for me. Just worth bearing in mind that he's regularly optimizing for the higher difficulties where the AI cheats so they're not always the most typical games of Civ, but he gives a lot of generally applicable tips and they were incredibly useful just for getting a sense of game flow and basic priorities.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I haven't read any reviews for Dawn of War 3, what's wrong with it? I liked the first one and Dark Crusade but wasn't keen on changes they made to 2

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Purple Monkey posted:

I haven't read any reviews for Dawn of War 3, what's wrong with it? I liked the first one and Dark Crusade but wasn't keen on changes they made to 2

Judging from the user reviews they removed many of the things that made their early RTS like DoW and CoH original and interesting games (customization, dynamic campaign, destructible cover and morale, sync kills) and increased the annoying ones (too much micro, elite units too powerful)

Of course it's all subjective, some will say they tried to make it more of a Starcraft/MOBA mix and those are not bad games at all. Just don't expect a modern DoW 1

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 4, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Judging from the user reviews they removed many of the things that made their early RTS like DoW and CoH original and interesting games (customization, dynamic campaign, destructible cover and morale, sync kills) and increased the annoying ones (too much micro, elite units too powerful)

Of course it's all subjective, some will say they tried to make it more of a Starcraft/MOBA mix and those are not bad games at all. Just don't expect a modern DoW 1

This is confusing because I liked all of the elements you listed, including the excessive micro and crazy boss units. Then again Dark Crusade is the only rts I've played where I wished I could zoom further out in order to micro properly. It was always a struggle against the UI, and it sounds like the devs couldn't figure out how to improve on it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is confusing because I liked all of the elements you listed, including the excessive micro and crazy boss units. Then again Dark Crusade is the only rts I've played where I wished I could zoom further out in order to micro properly. It was always a struggle against the UI, and it sounds like the devs couldn't figure out how to improve on it.

There are people who like the game and say it's good so maybe it's worth a shot for you

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Watch a vid or Twitch.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
This thread's turning me on to the 8-bit series, but I'm not spending $35 on the whole bundle. Does the series have a peak?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Unbelievably White posted:

This thread's turning me on to the 8-bit series, but I'm not spending $35 on the whole bundle. Does the series have a peak?

Pay for the units most interesting to you, I'd recommend the Warcraft one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And between the frequent sales on the individual games and the flex bundle for all three, if you're patient you can just start with the Warcraft one (since that's on sale right now) and wait out the other two and get 'em all for a fair bit cheaper.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Unbelievably White posted:

I don't think you need the whole bundle unless you are a completionist. Buy whichever one looks the most appealing and then wait for the summer sale.

E: They mean the Hordes set by the way :).

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for something like Total War Arena which is currently in closed testing and won't be playable for awhile. Here's Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3Ud0q6j6c & http://totalwararena.com/

It plays like a streamlined sped up Total War game meets World of Tanks. I like that its online competitive instead of singleplayer and that it plays a lot faster than the Total War series. I also like that I grind up units and upgrade them and use them with different commanders who have abilities.

There's not anything quite like this out there or is there?

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Is Suikoden 1 good or should I just skip straight to 2?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

1 is good, 2 is better but has recurring characters from 1 you might not give a poo poo about unless you played it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
What he said. 2 is dramatically better than 1, but 1 is at least still okay and having played 1 makes certain parts of 2 more enjoyable.

To this day, I think it was a simple but awesome touch of them to reuse the first game's random encounter music during the segment where you wind up visiting the capital from the first game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Suikoden 1 is a very good game, and playing it first will enhance your enjoyment of Suikoden 2.

Just be aware that these are both games where you pretty much need to follow a guide (there are spoiler-free recruitment guides) to not miss out on the best ending. This requires obtaining all 108 Stars in each game—many are permanently missable, and some can die after you've recruited them. Suikoden 2 has a rather obscure character that doesn't count toward the 108, and recruiting them prevents you from recruiting one who does. :psyduck:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 6, 2017

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember playing Suikoden 2 when it came out without playing the first game or knowing any of the guide stuff and still enjoying it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I've got a very particular itch I want to scratch. I'm looking for a mystery game where you actually have to solve the mystery. In almost all mystery games the answer to the mystery is revealed to you as you go through the game and that is not what I want. I've already played Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments which I enjoyed even if the cases varied in quality, and I've heard the newest one is basically the same game but worse so I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I assume you've already played the Phoenix Wright games?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I have indeed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Consortium features a mystery you have to work out yourself and is generally a really interesting game. Higurashi and Umineko are great mystery visual novels that force you to figure out the mystery for the first 4 chapters giving you everything you need, and then gives you the answers during the following 4 chapters. The first is a horror-style story, the second is a murder mystery, and the two are barely connected. Otherwise, the Blade Runner point and click forces you to figure things out even on multiple playthroughs since whether or not characters are replicants is randomised.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Does FEZ and The Witness count? Or maybe the Zero Time Dilemma series?

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
With all this talk of Suikoden 1 & 2 does anyone know any games that are similar? Even if its just the same style of RPG that has come out recently? Those two games are really in a league of their own and even though i replay them about once a year i still hope that another top-down JRPG with duels, party battles, turn based army battles, building elements, collectables, cooking competitions and over 100 recruitable characters will be released. Sigh.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Camping.. Intense! posted:

With all this talk of Suikoden 1 & 2 does anyone know any games that are similar? Even if its just the same style of RPG that has come out recently? Those two games are really in a league of their own and even though i replay them about once a year i still hope that another top-down JRPG with duels, party battles, turn based army battles, building elements, collectables, cooking competitions and over 100 recruitable characters will be released. Sigh.

The cooking minigame and base building in Suikoden 2 really is in a league of it's own. While it isn't even close to having all that, especially having a much more standard small roster of characters, Breath of Fire III has a fair bit of side stuff going on (limited building, fishing, an arena, possibly some other stuff I don't remember) and is one of my favourites from the era.

For more modern games (so not top-down etc) Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. They hit some of the same notes. Lots going on and lots to do and while there isn't a huge roster of characters, there are a lot of named NPCs and your relationships to them and each other factor into the game and there is an element of getting everyone on your side and building relationships that is similar to "recruiting" in some ways.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 8, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was a RPG Maker game called Exit Fate that has been pretty well liked and is very Suikodeny.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was a RPG Maker game called Exit Fate that has been pretty well liked and is very Suikodeny.

And made by a goon.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm on a 7hr flight to New York next week and would like to get stuck into a meaty game on my iPad. My favoured genres are RPGs, turn based strategies and adventure games. (All games that lend themselves well to touchscreen.)

I've been out of the loop for a while on the gaming scene, but have previously enjoyed The Banner Saga, FTL and Xcom.

I'm using a second generation iPad Air, so has to be fairly low-fi in terms of graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Convexed posted:

I'm on a 7hr flight to New York next week and would like to get stuck into a meaty game on my iPad. My favoured genres are RPGs, turn based strategies and adventure games. (All games that lend themselves well to touchscreen.)

I've been out of the loop for a while on the gaming scene, but have previously enjoyed The Banner Saga, FTL and Xcom.

I'm using a second generation iPad Air, so has to be fairly low-fi in terms of graphics.
the Sorcery! games are good beefy RPG/adventure/CYOAs that will keep you busy. Tales of Illyria are great little turn-based RPGs kind of similar to Banner Saga