Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Buncha bones, veggies, water, toss into pressure cooker, seal, forget for an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Buncha bones, veggies, water, toss into pressure cooker, seal, forget for an hour

Same, fam

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

spacetoaster posted:

How do you guys do homemade chicken broth?

bones, at least 1/2 of an onion, a celery stalk, a carrot and squeeze in half a lemon and pressure cook for at least 1 hour.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pressure cooker army up in here. :kimchi:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pressure cooker army up in here. :kimchi:

Hell yeah. Even if stock was the only thing I ended up using it for it would be worth it to have one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
One time I made 24 hour beef stock in the pressure cooker. I cooked it for 4 hours six times, topping it back up with water each time. The bones were fork-tender when I was done, no joke. Amazing stock, though - probably the best I've ever had.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I still don't have a pressure cooker, so I just cram some chicken bones&organs in the slow cooker, veggies if I have any handy, set it on low and forget about it for a day or so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tendales posted:

I still don't have a pressure cooker, so I just cram some chicken bones&organs in the slow cooker, veggies if I have any handy, set it on low and forget about it for a day or so.

Yeah probably just do it overnight and it's enough.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Yeah at its most basic you take some chicken and put it in water and cook it for a long time.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

That Works posted:

Yeah probably just do it overnight and it's enough.

The last batch I made ended up so gelatinous that I had trouble skimming the schmaltz off, so yeah, it's plenty.

I used to save up scraps and trimmings and stuff and do a big batch all at once like in that Good Eats episode, but I've decided that's just a pain in the rear end. From now on, just one bird's worth at a time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

moller posted:

Two questions, both at least tangentally topical:

1) Between mole, thai, indian, and salsa I've decided I need a mortar and pestle in my life - but only one. Do I want a molcajete? a suribachi? the pharmaceutical sort (cheapest)? Shape? Material?

2) Speaking of larb, what about barg? I know they have nothing in common besides being weird rear end four letter words and meat dishes, but I'd like to get my persian chicken/beef kebab on and the internet's supply of Iranian mommy blogs seems lacking. Yogurt? Lemon Juice? Two days marinating? Saffron of some sort? I'd like to move on to kubideh but barg sounds like an easier place to start.

EDIT: I decided to try youtube right after posting this and the barg recipes are all in farsi. Is there another romanization of a name for persian style kebap that is more commonly used by english speakers?

EDIT2: One mommyblog is certainly a paucity.
granite. 3 cup capacity. Largest pestle you can find.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anyone ever make tempura lemon wheels? I stumbled across them at red robin and they were amazing and then I couldn't replicate them at home.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tendales posted:

The last batch I made ended up so gelatinous that I had trouble skimming the schmaltz off, so yeah, it's plenty.

I used to save up scraps and trimmings and stuff and do a big batch all at once like in that Good Eats episode, but I've decided that's just a pain in the rear end. From now on, just one bird's worth at a time.

my god yes. It sucks having to use the same cooker to cook and can the stock.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tendales posted:

Same, I usually just do some stock every time I roast a chicken, Let that sucker go over night, then have myself a lovely mug of stock for breakfast and freeze the rest. I still manage to almost always have a few pints of stock in the freezer (well, used to, before the great Unintentional Melting)

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2PlqXw03Y

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

my god yes. It sucks having to use the same cooker to cook and can the stock.

delitainers and chest freezer, yo

relevant to pressure cookers, edit for prime day sale on instant pot:
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...DJS9ZMJXHKRX9JQ

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 11, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eeyo posted:

It's not that hard to make them. Just have make up the dough, knead, rest, roll out circles, fill, and seal! They freeze pretty well too, and need around 10 minutes of steaming.

Unfortunately I've lost the recipe I used to make them last time (something with tofu and kimchi? It was like 4 years ago) so I can't help you there.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up just winging it with a random recipe I found online, and they came out totally fine. They are indeed very easy to make, however I will have to figure out how to make them actually look nice, and not stupid and lumpy :v:

Ended up just filling them with Anko this time, but I'm gonna try some curried chicken or maybe ground pork+beef with some chili peppers next. Also mine also look a little more tan in color than the ones at the local Sichuan places, not sure what might effect that.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Say I have a pound of oxtails and a pressure cooker. If I wanted to make a simple stew, would I be far off if I did the following?
  • Season the oxtails , brown them, then remove.
  • Saute some onions, garlic, and maybe ginger.
  • Put the oxtails back in and add a bay leaf, some peppercorns, and a couple of cups of beef broth. Maybe a bit of oyster or fish sauce. Or dark soy sauce.
  • Set to 45 minutes and go with a natural release.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't know how necessary the beef broth is, but that seems reasonable. If you're pressure cooking a piece of meat with bone and connective tissue it'll make its own broth.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sounds like a good start to pho.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

I don't know how necessary the beef broth is, but that seems reasonable. If you're pressure cooking a piece of meat with bone and connective tissue it'll make its own broth.

Chicken, too?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Probably, I'd throw the feet and wingtips in there if I had them.

I'm not a food history expert but I think of stew as kind of rustic which means before refrigeration and pressure canning I doubt someone's grandma made beef stock from scratch and then made a beef stew with it. The kinds of meat in stew have connective tissue and bones and stuff and I'd bet people just chucked the tough cuts in some water with whatever hardy vegetables they had at the time and cooked it low and slow until it was stew.

On the other hand it couldn't hurt. I usually use vegetable stock in my beef stew since I feel like I get enough beef from the stew meat.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Here's maybe a weird one, is there a best way to do popcorn? I like the idea and ease of an air popper but from what I remember from decades ago the results didn't taste that great. Or is it just a matter of salt/seasoning? Something something flavacol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah it needs seasoning

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

QuarkMartial posted:

Sounds like a good start to pho.

Haven't had pho for too long. I think I'd need star anise and cilantro for that, but now I'm thinking maybe I'm due a quick groceries run anyway....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Gotta do something while that stock cooks down...

(Not liable if you burn down your house because you left the stove on)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah it needs seasoning

Yeah I think the problem back in the day was just kinda hitting it half-assedly with a salt shaker. I just wasn't sure if the oil some cookers use adds anything to the taste

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RentACop posted:

Yeah I think the problem back in the day was just kinda hitting it half-assedly with a salt shaker. I just wasn't sure if the oil some cookers use adds anything to the taste

You'll want to use popcorn salt, it's much finer and works much better for seasoning stuff like deep fried food since it adheres to the food better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You'll want to use popcorn salt, it's much finer and works much better for seasoning stuff like deep fried food since it adheres to the food better.

I could be wrong but this sounds like the sort of thing where you could just stick the salt in a blender

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong but this sounds like the sort of thing where you could just stick the salt in a blender

Sure, I guess. I just prefer to spend $7 every few years on a carton of the stuff, it's cheap and I don't use it that often.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Popcorn in general is pretty bland. It takes fancy salts petty well, like Himalayan, gray, etc. I usually mortar mine. That's not to say popcorn salt isn't convenient (pickling salt is pretty similar), just saying fancy salts are worth trying.

Some fresh good quality extra virgin olive oil is also good on air popped popcorn. I've done bone marrow fat, too. Bacon fat, as well. Pretty great. Do all of the things. Fats work well because they don't make the popcorn soggy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

I use a food processor. Works perfectly fine.

Nutritional yeast is good on popcorn. Za'atar and oilive oil is good on popcorn. Lime zest + chili (like cayenne powder, or dried red chilis fried in oil) is good on popcorn.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How could one make salt 'n vinegar popcorn without making limp mushy popcorn?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ranter posted:

Vinegar powder.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Ranter posted:

I'mma guess vinegar powder.

Edit: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-best-salt-and-vinegar-chips-tasting-brands-most-acidic.html

EDIT2: D'oh, took the time to google. Curse you! But, from reading that article the best tasting chips use a variety of dry acids to add pungency.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress yes thank you

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RentACop posted:

Here's maybe a weird one, is there a best way to do popcorn? I like the idea and ease of an air popper but from what I remember from decades ago the results didn't taste that great. Or is it just a matter of salt/seasoning? Something something flavacol

At least in my opinion, popping in hot oil in a pan tastes better, and has a better texture. I think it picks up a nuttier flavor and the texture is a little more dense and tender. You've got to be a bit careful about the temperature and clean the pan out at the end however. I've been adding crushed salt directly to the oil when popping and it seems to season it pretty well!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Amchoor, dried mango powder, would also work well for imparting some acidity with a different note. In fact, mix up some chaat masala some time and put it on your popcorn, and subsequently everything else.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Some fresh good quality extra virgin olive oil is also good on air popped popcorn. I've done bone marrow fat, too. Bacon fat, as well. Pretty great. Do all of the things. Fats work well because they don't make the popcorn soggy.

Yeah, I like a little oil on my popcorn. I love butter, but pretty much any tasty oil works.

But if you know someone on a strict low-fat diet, you can get a spray bottle and spritz it with a little salty water. This makes the salt stick, and moistens up the popcorn a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

Pop in coconut oil and add flavacol for the full movie theater taste.