Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You're making me want a Dr650 and a set of GS500 wheels. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

I'd say that the exhaust note is fantastic, and full of character, compared with the 690 (I want to try and put a GSXR exhaust on the 690 now).

Yeah it's a shame but the LC4 just doesn't sound like a classic thumper, too high revving for that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're making me want a Dr650 and a set of GS500 wheels. Dammit.

They're good bieks, Jam.

I passed up a dirt cheap spoked sumo set for it because if I want to sumo it, I want white gs500 wheels. Bonus that they are tubeless. It corners so sharply and leans so far now that I'm not in any hurry to do so.

Like this:

High Protein posted:

Yeah it's a shame but the LC4 just doesn't sound like a classic thumper, too high revving for that.

The engine sounds like garbage. Someone in the alps had one and I got to hear it pass and it's unique character was that it sounded like a hot mess. It's easy to forgive that when you ride it, though, because it's so fuckoff fast and fun and smooth.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The coolest sumo I have ever heard was an SXV 550 with an Akrapovic exhaust. The growl was near demonic. Of course that's a twin - I'm not sure I've ever heard a thumper that sounded awesome, they've all just sounded like a loud thumper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A buddy of mine had a dr650 with the gsxr exhaust and it really does sound good. Better than most other thumpers I'll argue. It flows better than stock but not so much that it's obnoxious.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I have 3 non working bikes and am considering buying a KLX 400. Am I stupid?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

The KLX will at least run so no.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

You can always leave it by the side of the road if things get too much.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I bought a bike when I owned three non-running bikes at the time, so yeah it's stupid, but gently caress it!

Also, getting this bike this weekend as a "wedding present". I asked for one of his old ducatis and was expecting a frame, engine and a box of parts. I wasn't expecting a complete bike!

No idea on the year, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1965 250. I think I'll go for a cosmetic restoration on it because most parts are surprisingly easy to find for it. I think I'll upgrade electrics with an M-Unit or something like that, but we'll see what we're working with here.

Edit2: oh poo poo, they have a new M-Unit with bluetooth and keyless starting now :eyepop:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721N9NLL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_czMBzbJ02XCA9

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 18, 2017

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I have returned to the world of two wheels and promptly settled into a motorized lawn chair.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2017

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm pretty sure I bought a bike when I owned three non-running bikes at the time, so yeah it's stupid, but gently caress it!

Also, getting this bike this weekend as a "wedding present". I asked for one of his old ducatis and was expecting a frame, engine and a box of parts. I wasn't expecting a complete bike!

No idea on the year, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1965 250. I think I'll go for a cosmetic restoration on it because most parts are surprisingly easy to find for it. I think I'll upgrade electrics with an M-Unit or something like that, but we'll see what we're working with here.

Edit2: oh poo poo, they have a new M-Unit with bluetooth and keyless starting now :eyepop:

Wow that's a really cool bike, are those pullback handlebars stock because every image I'm finding is a "cafed out" version

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slim Pickens posted:

Restoring it would be both boring and expensive. Get it into good running shape and just ride it. The patina looks cooler anyway.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dude, this is like, the coolest farkle ever... I'm in the process of rebuilding a Vmax right now, looks like I'm going to be ditching parts of the stock fuse box.

Edit: video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF6RiqEF-dQ

R-Type fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 21, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

Ew replace that muffler with a proper one. Aside from that, looks great. I've got a 69 160 Monza Jr here, it's quite fun. Weighs nothing, steers like a bicycle. I also love how they carved "DUCATI" into basically every piece of rubber and metal on the entire bike. Even the footpeg rubbers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Christ!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lanesplitting?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

A MIRACLE posted:

lanesplitting?

Ninja splitting.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
that thing hit the ground and slid a bit

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

lanesplitting?

Not even. Car just swerved into me without signaling. Hard swerve too. I didn't even scrape, I just collided with the first quarter panel. The driver admitted fault to CHP and multiple witnesses stopped. Looks like i can finally buy that FZ09...

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Please, the insurance on those bikes is already getting high.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Buhbuhj posted:

Please, the insurance on those bikes is already getting high.

Starting a gofundme. The highest bidder gets to pick the bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Get the XSR so I can live vicariously through you

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

Get the XSR so I can live vicariously through you

Ooooo. That's a good idea. Does it have ABS?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

also look at the speed triple, i think it might be a nicer bike

of course, my fz 07 is still for sale.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

also look at the speed triple, i think it might be a nicer bike

of course, my fz 07 is still for sale.

I want something with a 3 cylinder engine. That way when I get a 3rd crash this year it will be funnier.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait but you literally just crashed the ZREX. What's happening? Is everything OK?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Ooooo. That's a good idea. Does it have ABS?

Yes, it had ABS and TC before the FZ09 got them this year. Insurance rates seem to be lower too

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

I want something with a 3 cylinder engine. That way when I get a 3rd crash this year it will be funnier.

Man, you have poo poo luck. Two in two days! Fz09 rules. Hit me up if you get one and we can do the triple thing :v.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow, that loving blows. I thought that was your fiancee's bike, too.

At least the driver admitted fault, that's a nice surprise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Man, you have poo poo luck. Two in two days! Fz09 rules. Hit me up if you get one and we can do the triple thing :v.

2 in 7 days. :eng99: Yeah, I didn't even have enough time to react besides thinking "there is no loving way this is happening again".

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, that loving blows. I thought that was your fiancee's bike, too.

At least the driver admitted fault, that's a nice surprise.

It was! On the brightside, she doesn't want to ride motorcycles anymore. :laugh:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ADINSX posted:

Wow that's a really cool bike, are those pullback handlebars stock because every image I'm finding is a "cafed out" version

My dad says those are the stock bars, but most of the other 250 monzas I find online have clip ons. It was also repainted by them, then stopped running. Glorious ducati reliability!

n8r posted:

Restoring it would be both boring and expensive. Get it into good running shape and just ride it. The patina looks cooler anyway.

Scramblebobber it is!

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 21, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aesthetics aside, is there any real difference between the xsr and fz09?

One of them isn't bullsht "retuned for torque" or something?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 2017 fz-09 is basically the same now. The xsr had the upgraded suspension and traction control when it came out but they refreshed the fz so they are pretty much the same bike now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This Chiche has One Wierd Trick for fast motrocycle sales! Insurance companies hate him!

Sorry chiche :( That's all kinds of bad luck. I think I'm even sadder that your fiance now doesn't want to ride.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Other than cosmetics and stock riding position (you sit farther back on the XSR) no, not really. That triple already has plenty of torque. If they retuned it for more people would be 12 o'clocking them on the way out of the dealership.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

This Chiche has One Wierd Trick for fast motrocycle sales! Insurance companies hate him!

Sorry chiche :( That's all kinds of bad luck. I think I'm even sadder that your fiance now doesn't want to ride.

Eh, it is probably for the best. She's barely 5', and could barely even keep the ninjette upright.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you had more power you could have gunned it out of the way. Get the speed triple.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That or a few years of martial arts training so he could have Ike rolled to safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The xsr I felt a had a little bit of a seating difference, and of course the retro styling. But I'm glad I went with the FZ, the headlight looks like a transformer.