Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My only advice is expect terrible service and maybe for the security guys to empty your pockets and/or wallet. The whole airport is modern but only has 8 gates, how bad could it be... ... ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

peanut posted:

My only advice is expect terrible service and maybe for the security guys to empty your pockets and/or wallet. The whole airport is modern but only has 8 gates, how bad could it be... ... ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11757883

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jeoh posted:

Anyone been to Almaty (ALA) before? Apparently Air Astana doesn't transfer the luggage to flights operated by KLM there, and guess what, that's my friend's situation. There's a 75 minute transfer (landing to take-off), the international terminal seems pretty small, how hosed is it gonna be?

Hope your friend doesn't have any visa issues.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Hope your friend doesn't have any visa issues.

I imagine it'll be OK as long as they're not from some imaginary country with a fake passport, like whatever a "New Zealand" is supposed to be.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeoh posted:

Anyone been to Almaty (ALA) before? Apparently Air Astana doesn't transfer the luggage to flights operated by KLM there, and guess what, that's my friend's situation. There's a 75 minute transfer (landing to take-off), the international terminal seems pretty small, how hosed is it gonna be?

I've flown out a couple of times and was once supposed to have a (protected) connection that I ended up missing and decided not to wait until the next day to fly and took a minibus instead. Airport is small and never really had any problems with the lines there. 75 minutes is always tight though, and a lot of flights end up being from bus gates. It's a bit chaotic, like they might announce boarding for two flights through the same passage at the same time. Forget priority boarding / whatever. Your friend's main problem will be check in for the KLM flight, because in 15 minutes from the Air Astana flight he will have to clear immigration, get his bag, go upstairs and check in for KLM.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Jeoh posted:

He needs to check KLM luggage checkin time requirements, but I'm guessing he's hosed. The norm is 60 minutes and luggage being at the carousel in 15 minutes is iffy, much less through customs and back at the KLM counter.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

asur posted:

He needs to check KLM luggage checkin time requirements, but I'm guessing he's hosed. The norm is 60 minutes and luggage being at the carousel in 15 minutes is iffy, much less through customs and back at the KLM counter.

I would guess this too, but he should call KLM / whatever other carrier e has and also make sure his luggage gets the "priority to baggage claim" tag like first class passengers get (although anyone's guess if Kazakh baggage handlers give a drat; though probably such baggage is near the front of the hold too). Also make sure that in the likely case he doesn't get his luggage, how will it get transferred to him later?

Or you know, he could pack lighter and not check a bag. Or pack heavier and just smuggle it on somehow. If he needs to travel with massive amounts of liquids for some reason then ??

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We'll see tonight. Spoken to KLM, they say it should be transferred plane to plane. Spoken to Air Astana, they say that it needs to be checked in again, but they could slap a priority sticker on it. At least both flights are checked in now and this is one of the flights which'll use the airport apron.

It's a loving codeshare flight as well. Ticket booked through Air Astana. What a mess. Worst comes to worst they'll just put it on the next flight from Almaty to Amsterdam, I guess (that's two days later).

E: The bags were transferred as usual and KLM gave a free upgrade to Premium Economy.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 26, 2017

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
After I watch the eclipse on August 21st, I agreed to help my friend drive to Minneapolis before I flew home to Alaska.

The $272 (18h 8m) DSM and $278 (18h 33m) OMA flights both fly to MSP where they layover, then depart on Delta 1099 for ANC. I agreed to drive with my friend to MSP after the eclipse, arriving around 7-8pm. I want that Delta 1099 flight, but the flight all by itself is at the bottom of the page for a whopping $374 (24h 57m).

More legs + layover = cheaper? What gives? Why is it more expensive to board just the MSP-ANC leg of the trip? Anything I can do?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 26, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
LAX -> DEL (New Dehli, India):

http://www.momondo.com/flightsearch...=false&NA=false

The cheapest flight has a 21 hour stopover in Shanghai. There are flights that are not much more expensive that have much more reasonable stopovers in Shanghai (an hour or two). I want to go the other direction though - get like a 30 or 40 (or 50) hour layover. Is that a thing? I'm searching multi-city fares but the discount isn't there. Right now I'm seeing LAX -> SHA -> DEL for like $470/person, R/T.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

The $272 (18h 8m) DSM and $278 (18h 33m) OMA flights both fly to MSP
I want that Delta 1099 flight, but the flight all by itself is at the bottom of the page for a whopping $374 (24h 57m).

More legs + layover = cheaper? What gives? Why is it more expensive to board just the MSP-ANC leg of the trip? Anything I can do?

Flights between popular cities at popular times will be more expensive. Long layovers means paying for a hotel and food, or maybe being stuck in an airport with lots of time, but not enough time to see the city. So people usually avoid those layovers if possible.
Complaining about $278 vs 374 for a flight as far as Alaska is scrub tier. Just take anything under $500 that fits with your schedule.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

peanut posted:

Flights between popular cities at popular times will be more expensive. Long layovers means paying for a hotel and food, or maybe being stuck in an airport with lots of time, but not enough time to see the city. So people usually avoid those layovers if possible.
Complaining about $278 vs 374 for a flight as far as Alaska is scrub tier. Just take anything under $500 that fits with your schedule.

I'm sorry my question offended you.

I was more asking a question about general pricing and logistics.

Why is a flight from Des Moines that has a layover then gets on that Delta 1099 flight cheaper than booking that same Delta 1099 flight just from MSP? By flying out of Des Moines I'm costing the company a lot more jet fuel and the wear and tear on both planes instead of one, but it's almost a $100 cheaper flight.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's been a long time since Econ 101, but as I recall, two factors go into any price: what the product costs, and what people will pay.

Why is a 20oz (single size) soda $2.49 and a 2 liter (68 oz) is $1.49? Because that's what people will pay.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Sounds like two of you majored in snitty replies to reasonable questions.

Also the answer ^^ is wrong. The pricing difference could also be due to weird ways they handle routing and incentivizing certain flight routes, or it could be a fuel dump mistake (quite common) or any other reasons. Calling it all "supply and demand lol" is bogus. Nice job being a dick and also being wrong.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 31, 2017

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm looking at flying my wife and I to Germany next month and I'm wondering whether the upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class would be worth it.

Google flights gives SFO to Frankfurt on the cheapest dates (September 19th and 27th) as $840 economy, $2460 premium, and $4566 business. I've heard from a number of travelers that in no uncertain terms I should avoid base Economy, but I'm wondering what the difference will be for the other two options, and if the price increase is worth the full upgrade to Business.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I've done SAN-FRA on Condor and SFO-FRA on United. On 3 of the 4 flights I paid for an extra large seat upgrade and paid probably ~$120 per seat per leg and it was worth it. However on Condor at least the "premium economy" seats were smaller than the XL seats and the exact same size as the basic economy seats, so I don't get why people would pay more for those. Obviously this differs from carrier to carrier, I'd look up measurements for your specific carrier and plane.

The one flight on United in basic economy was pretty uncomfortable but may not be so bad if you're not tall. I can't comment on first class since I've never flown it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

Why is a flight from Des Moines that has a layover then gets on that Delta 1099 flight cheaper than booking that same Delta 1099 flight just from MSP?

They might be desperate to fill seats on the Des Moines route, and it might also be a tax thing. I know that happens on international flights so I wouldn't be surprised if some domestic airports charged more than others.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm looking at flying my wife and I to Germany next month and I'm wondering whether the upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class would be worth it.

Google flights gives SFO to Frankfurt on the cheapest dates (September 19th and 27th) as $840 economy, $2460 premium, and $4566 business. I've heard from a number of travelers that in no uncertain terms I should avoid base Economy, but I'm wondering what the difference will be for the other two options, and if the price increase is worth the full upgrade to Business.

Depends entirely upon what the Y+ seat is an on what carrier. There are other cities out of SFO in J that are less than that, so I would seek alternate cities and be willing to connect in, say , New York to drive down the price.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rontalvos posted:

I'm sorry my question offended you.

I was more asking a question about general pricing and logistics.

Why is a flight from Des Moines that has a layover then gets on that Delta 1099 flight cheaper than booking that same Delta 1099 flight just from MSP? By flying out of Des Moines I'm costing the company a lot more jet fuel and the wear and tear on both planes instead of one, but it's almost a $100 cheaper flight.

Airfares are sold based on market and not price. If you reference the OP, I talk about this in some detail. :)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Mackieman posted:

Depends entirely upon what the Y+ seat is an on what carrier. There are other cities out of SFO in J that are less than that, so I would seek alternate cities and be willing to connect in, say , New York to drive down the price.

Thanks. All of those prices included at least one layover, and I checked "all airports" in Germany so I may just have to be more creative in my searching.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreshFeesh posted:

Premium economy on most major European carriers (e.g. Lufthansa, BA, Air France, Iberia, SAS) will be roughly the same as the seats you have in US domestic first and slightly better food than economy. I personally would not pay $1600 more or a 200% premium for that. Extra legroom seats in economy (such as exit rows) or a few seats next to each other on an empty flight are much better.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What are the Canadian airlines to avoid? Contemplating YUL->MSP, and the only airlines that offer that direct are Delta and Westjet. They're comparable in price according to ITA Matrix, but the Delta price is their "Basic Economy" where you may not even sit with your travelling companion. So if Westjet is fine I'd rather take that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FISHMANPET posted:

What are the Canadian airlines to avoid? Contemplating YUL->MSP, and the only airlines that offer that direct are Delta and Westjet. They're comparable in price according to ITA Matrix, but the Delta price is their "Basic Economy" where you may not even sit with your travelling companion. So if Westjet is fine I'd rather take that.

WestJet is fine, probably better than Air Canada domestic and definitely better than Rouge or Air Transat.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, WestJet is the easy choice there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I did the math and it ended up being $15 to book Sun Country to JFK and WestJet from Montreal to MSP vs booking both trips with Delta Main Cabin on one order, so I went with the hometown team instead.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
I'm looking at going from Toronto to Auckland through SFO, 6h + 13h flights. Which experience would be less awful for the longer leg: United on a 787-9, or Air New Zealand on a 777? No price or layover difference so I feel like it's a tossup.

And would it be worth electing for a 16h layover in SFO on the way back to see the town? We've never been.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Extremely Penetrated posted:

I'm looking at going from Toronto to Auckland through SFO, 6h + 13h flights. Which experience would be less awful for the longer leg: United on a 787-9, or Air New Zealand on a 777? No price or layover difference so I feel like it's a tossup.

And would it be worth electing for a 16h layover in SFO on the way back to see the town? We've never been.

I personally find the 787 a lot nicer for overnight flights due to the increased humidity and pressure in the plane, making sleeping easier and waking up easier (since my contacts are not glued to my eyes).

I did a 13 hour layover in Warsaw last year after a long flight and 7 hour timezone shift for similar reasons and while i didn't regret doing it, I don't think I'd recommend it or do it again if I had a better option. We walked around for 4-5 hours, ate lunch, then passed out in a park for 4 hours before heading back to the airport.

If you do take the long layover, just make sure to check all your luggage and keep a little daypack so at least you don't have to deal with your stuff.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

If you do take the long layover, just make sure to check all your luggage and keep a little daypack so at least you don't have to deal with your stuff.

Alternative to messing with checking bags: SFO has a left luggage facility where you can pay a few bucks for a day of storage.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Extremely Penetrated posted:

I personally would fly AirNZ a thousand times over rather than United on an overseas flight. I also would do the layover not only to see San Francisco but also just because it breaks up the trip a little bit.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

HookShot posted:

I personally would fly AirNZ a thousand times over rather than United on an overseas flight. I also would do the layover not only to see San Francisco but also just because it breaks up the trip a little bit.

Same here but I'm not sure what the United flight to NZ is like - do they operate it themselves?

who even flies to New Zealand

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Looking to fly LA - Dublin next summer. The random dates I've chosen to search around are 6/1 to 6/22, but pretty much any three~ish week period during the summer months is fine, there's no firm dates being planned around.

Best round trip prices I can find are $600 (if I'm willing to sit in Stockholm for 23 hours) or $800 for a straight LAX -> DUB flight. The latter seems like a pretty decent deal I can afford but I'd love to do better.

*I'm actually flying out from MFR but there are a zillion sub-$100 direct flights from here to LAX that the flight search engines don't seem to account for. Feel free to prove me wrong but I haven't been able to beat those combined prices.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

buy that $800 right now it's ridiculous

Stockholm is really nice too though?!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If I knew anybody in stockholm who could give me a couch to land on and show me some cool stuff in that 23 hours I'd be all over that, but I do not.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not only do Scandinavian goons and CouchSurfing exist, but airbnb lets you book "experience" tours now too.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Buy the direct flight. Unless the layover in Stockholm is only on the way in and it's direct on the way back? Alternately even if it's only like a 3 hour layover on the way back it's going to add like 5 hours and some hassle to your itinerary and you'll feel much shittier when you land and have to go back to work on Monday (IME anyway).

If it's about money in any case you'll spend $200 in a day in Stockholm by getting to/from the airport, food, doing something, and staying the night (unless you already have a couch surfing rep).

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
How bad is Air China? Looking at reviews has me worried, especially about delays, but their <$500 round trip to Bangkok from NYC seems hard to pass up. I am reading a lot about long delays, wouldn't want to do their flights that have a 75 minute transfer time..

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dms666 posted:

How bad is Air China? Looking at reviews has me worried, especially about delays, but their <$500 round trip to Bangkok from NYC seems hard to pass up. I am reading a lot about long delays, wouldn't want to do their flights that have a 75 minute transfer time..

Air China isn't great, but then no airline is in coach. The food ex-China is nigh on inedible in any cabin, so plan accordingly. The delays have to do with PEK itself moreso than the airline, but count on Air China getting preference over just about any other airline. Of course, none of that matters when there are Chinese military movements going on.

Also, 75 minutes to transit PEK I:I is laughable and a sure way to miss your connection; security is a total shitshow. I barely did it in 95 minutes and I was in J traveling with a friend who was in F and had airline reps with a cart escort us through security.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How's Ethiopian Airlines? They've got an amazing $719 round trip direct from LAX to DUB and back which is the best deal I can find in the universe for this trip.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Javid posted:

How's Ethiopian Airlines? They've got an amazing $719 round trip direct from LAX to DUB and back which is the best deal I can find in the universe for this trip.

Wow, it's a nonstop flight? That's a weird-rear end route for Ethiopia Airlines to be running. Never flown them, but honestly the differences between flagship carriers is pretty small (in economy anyway, and if you're not a loyalty member to some airline). It looks like they use a 787 on that route, which personally makes a much happier flight for me, while Aer Lingus uses an A330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I heard about that one too, it's weird.

What's the deal with Spirit? They're the cheapest to get from NYC to Chicago on the dates I'm looking, but are there serious issues with them? Minor issues I can deal with.