Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

According to my mother's friend, who is friends with someone who works with the police, the death toll has risen to twelve and they believe there is a bomb downtown.

God dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Time to play ISIS or alt-right

Pretty sure those two are equally bad and despised by anyone with half a brain?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if we had a terror olympics

Like those hacker conventions, but bring in terrorists from all different nationalities to compete

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

She and I were supposed to go to the Corte Ingles at Catalunya today but I asked her not to make me go to that tourist shithole. I was down the street from this, but not close enough to ahve seen.

According to my mother's friend, who is friends with someone who works with the police, the death toll has risen to twelve and they believe there is a bomb downtown.

Jesus Christ. Glad your family is safe at least.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Do we know yet what kind of statue is responsible for this?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Time to play ISIS or alt-right

Wildcard: Pro-Catalonian Independence group

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nill posted:

Do we know yet what kind of statue is responsible for this?

Statue of Habiberty

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Over There posted:

God dammit

Yeah, all the public transportation is closed and everyone is sort of walking around in shock. Spanish TV is saying it's a coordinated attack.

I assume the van came out of Plaça Jaume and down Carrer de Ferran, because I was to walk through Jaume to get back home. I was waiting outside Zara when all of a sudden this flood of people ran screaming up the street from the direction of Jaume and just started shoving themselves into any store. I was trying to leave and the store secruit pulled me back in. Then all up and down the street, business started shuttering their gates. Everyone was screaming, just screaming and screaming and panicking, and NO ONE COULD SAY WHAT HAD HAPPENED. They let us out after a few minutes but told us not to go towards Plaça Catalunya. I've got my mom here with me in the Gotic, but my dad lives in the Raval where this poo poo is happening, and he's okay but we can't get there right now.

My mom says the restaurant was "eh."

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's the motive.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was waiting outside Zara when all of a sudden this flood of people ran screaming up the street from the direction of Jaume and just started shoving themselves into any store. I was trying to leave and the store secruit pulled me back in. Then all up and down the street, business started shuttering their gates. Everyone was screaming, just screaming and screaming and panicking, and NO ONE COULD SAY WHAT HAD HAPPENED.

Running of the Lulz

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

Jesus Christ. Glad your family is safe at least.

thank you.

dsriggs posted:

Wildcard: Pro-Catalonian Independence group

That's what we thought it was at first, too.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What a badass!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Remember when the government blamed the atocha bombing on eta?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

myDad posted:

What a badass!

Lol

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

religion of piiisssssssss

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

myDad posted:

What a badass!

I can't tell if this is mean-spirited or not, but if it is, please don't. That's my mom.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I can't tell if this is mean-spirited or not, but if it is, please don't. That's my mom.

It wasn't, and I hope you two are reunited with your father swiftly & safely

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Is she Spanish?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

myDad posted:

It wasn't, and I hope you two are reunited with your father swiftly & safely

Okay, thanks :unsmith: Sorry, I am really bad at reading tone. I hope I didn't offend you.

brylcreem posted:

Is she Spanish?

Egyptian Greek. She's mad at me because she already drank a full bottle of wine and I refuse to let her go out and buy more. She was a hardcore protestor in the 60s and 70s so she is pretty much fine; she's just sad so many people died and annoyed at me for being a pussy.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Now they're saying only one fatality
:shrug:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
She was a protestor in Franco's Spain just let her go get a bottle of wine lmao.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hilarious title, rear end in a top hat.

The restaurant where hostages are being kept- Luna de Istanbul- is where my parents ate dinner LAST NIGHT. And I cannot get to my father because he lives across the Rambla.

It is a hilarious title, I agree

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

smug n stuff posted:

I've heard between 1 and 13 so far, so who knows

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

The Guardian posted:

One person has been killed and 32 injured, Catalan police have just said in a news conference. Of the 32 injured, 10 are seriously injured, it was announced.

There has been some confusion, as it typical in these situations, about the numbers of fatalities. Local broadcast media outlets are reporting that 13 have died, citing police sources. Other media including El Pais are saying there were at least 10 are dead. The above are the official figures.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I condemn the violence on both sides of these attacks

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

I've heard between 1 and 13 so far, so who knows

Yea, WaPo is reporting 13 deaths and they are citing El Mundo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
The way it looks right now the 1 dead, 32 injured seems like just the van casualties but sadly I think there's going to be casualties in the restaurant too so if it ends at just 1 dead then that's a miracle

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
uh i definitely saw more than one dead person on the ground

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So, what"s the ETA on identities of perpetrators?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smug n stuff posted:

I guess they can only say whats confirmed. The videos seem to suggest a lot more than that.

e: Obviously the videos are loving harrowing

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hilarious title, rear end in a top hat.

The restaurant where hostages are being kept- Luna de Istanbul- is where my parents ate dinner LAST NIGHT. And I cannot get to my father because he lives across the Rambla.
This is part of the reason why I love the forums. We are everywhere! Correspondents at every location... Thanks for the report and I hope your family is safe...

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Too soon. :/

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

VikingSkull posted:

The way it looks right now the 1 dead, 32 injured seems like just the van casualties but sadly I think there's going to be casualties in the restaurant too so if it ends at just 1 dead then that's a miracle

yeah :(
Barcelona's cool, too bad

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

smug n stuff posted:

I hope that's that's true. We're hearing all this third hand.

We're hearing it's a coordinated attack and that the van driver was separate from the hostage takers. Hopefully, that's wrong too.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

BCN police apparently have Mossad training, or so I've heard.

The helicopters seem to have stopped circling.

Mom is on her way home and will probably stop for tapas along the way. She's awesome.

e: She forgot her sunglasses and is mad.

ee: I have no idea what the actual fatalities are. My mother's business partner/friend has a friend in the police department and we're getting a lot of info from there.

Apologies if I come across as aggro; this was very scary because I was so close and I'm probably being snappier than I mean to be. Thanks to everyone who's wishes us well; once my mom gets home I will feel a lot better because I'll also be sure my dad is fine.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 17, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Okay, thanks :unsmith: Sorry, I am really bad at reading tone. I hope I didn't offend you.

gently caress you, idiot retærd bitch! :)

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
13 dead according to the alert sent to my phone. gently caress.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

WatermelonGun posted:

Barcelona is an ugly town

why? verything ive seen of friends going there is it looks cool, touristy af but still p neat. i was going to do a madrid->barcelona trip but didn't have time to piggyback mysummer abroad

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Apologies if I come across as aggro; this was very scary because I was so close and I'm probably being snappier than I mean to be. Thanks to everyone who's wishes us well; once my mom gets home I will feel a lot better because I'll also be sure my dad is fine.

I don't think you came across as aggro but even if you did it's cool lol you just had a terrorist attack happen nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Bananana posted:

gently caress you, idiot retærd bitch! :)

Actual :laffo: thanks

Xaris posted:

why? verything ive seen of friends going there is it looks cool, touristy af but still p neat. i was going to do a madrid->barcelona trip but didn't have time to piggyback mysummer abroad

Barcelona is the most beautiful place. There are touristy things, but they're pretty concentrated and easy to avoid- and, honestly, even a lot of touristy stuff here is nice, like the Miró foundation. I have no idea why anyone would ever say it was ugly.

• Locked thread