Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Watch episodes 1-4 of Daredevil season 2 if you want to know how Netflix is handling Frank. Those first four episodes are focused on Daredevil vs Punisher, and nothing that happens to Frank in the rest of the series is very important.

Oh I've seen that and enjoyed it. I always just kind of assumed that when Punisher showed up in other people's series he was (correctly) used as a villain, whereas in his own series they glorify him and his methods a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"I always want to preserve the essence of Frank, and have the right and be bold enough to really turn my back on the audience, and not do things to win the audience's favor, but rather stay true to the character and the essence of who he is. I think Frank is brutal. Frank is damaged. Frank is tortured. I think Frank, when he engages in violence, there's something utterly satisfying and addictive for him to be doing that, and that may not be something that the audience can agree with or get behind. But I've always fought to preserve that, and I think that that's a part of him. I think the pain and what's behind the violence and the reason why he's committing the violence, that's a different story. I want to explore that, too. So I think that's the real challenge: being bold enough to not make him too heroic, at least 'heroic,' is important to me. That being said, I think there's Frank Castle inside of everybody. I think being a father and being a husband, he's a character that I deeply empathize with."

Hopefully this won't inspire more cops to put Punisher logos on the back of their personal pick up trucks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cythereal posted:

nothing that happens to Frank in the rest of the series is very important.

Not true, Frank Castle: Relationship Guru happens later doesn't it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

howe_sam posted:

Not true, Frank Castle: Relationship Guru happens later doesn't it?

Nothing really comes of it so I don't consider that significant. It's just another beat in the tepid Matt/Karen romance.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

zoux posted:

Hopefully this won't inspire more cops to put Punisher logos on the back of their personal pick up trucks.

Seriously. I keep seeing the one with the thin blue line and wondering "what message are you trying to get across?"
A co-worker's husband is "obsessed" with Batman and puts his emblem on everything... including his hand guns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of the Punisher stuff in the back half of Daredevil season 2 is a bit of a show within a show - Daredevil's off dealing with Elektra and the Hand and doesn't have a whole lot to do with Frank. It's Karen gets tangled up in Frank's stuff for the most part.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Seriously. I keep seeing the one with the thin blue line and wondering "what message are you trying to get across?"
A co-worker's husband is "obsessed" with Batman and puts his emblem on everything... including his hand guns.

Ah that famous lover of guns and bullets, Batman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, yes, if you're going by the Burton and Snyder versions. :sweatdrop:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

Man, I really did not like Charlie. I have no problem with Felicia Day, but that character got Felicity on Arrow levels of shilling whenever she was around. Nothing will make me hate a character more than when their character is "Everyone thinks they're perfect." I hated Riley, I hated Felicity, and thus I hated Charlie.

I feel like this is the only character she plays. Everything I've seen her in has like all the other characters coming to a screeching halt to bring up just how much they love her constantly as soon as she shows up. I don't get it at all.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

There's a dude at my job with punisher logos on like...everything. And lots of those blue cop flags around too. I don't get this, either.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Ah that famous lover of guns and bullets, Batman.

as long as they're rubber bullets

honest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like this is the only character she plays. Everything I've seen her in has like all the other characters coming to a screeching halt to bring up just how much they love her constantly as soon as she shows up. I don't get it at all.

There's a dude at my job with punisher logos on like...everything. And lots of those blue cop flags around too. I don't get this, either.

I imagine if you're a cop you deal with some people you believe are scum and guilty but through whatever failure in the system they get put back out there and that makes you wonder if you should take the law into your own hands. The problem of course is that the people you think are scum and guilty tend to be a certain type more often than others. Oh and also summary justice is bad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I imagine if you're a cop you deal with some people you believe are scum and guilty but through whatever failure in the system they get put back out there and that makes you wonder if you should take the law into your own hands. The problem of course is that the people you think are scum and guilty tend to be a certain type more often than others. Oh and also summary justice is bad.

I get that part, to some degree, sure. I don't get tooling around in a punisher-logo-emblazoned golf cart while wearing a punisher-logo-emblazoned tanktop all weekend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

I get that part, to some degree, sure. I don't get tooling around in a punisher-logo-emblazoned golf cart while wearing a punisher-logo-emblazoned tanktop all weekend.

Well there's also this thing about toxic masculinity

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt that Chris Kyle, who wore the Punisher skull, embodied the scary worship of Castle many people have. His story in his book about sitting on the Superdome shooting "looters" (read black people) feels very much like an imagined Punisher thing to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You idiots, you've captured their stunt doubles!

From https://www.instagram.com/p/BX9F8EoD3VO/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm finally starting these Netflix MCU shows.

I mostly just appreciate Daredevil right now for not feeling like it has to make jokes every five seconds like the movies do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

You idiots, you've captured their stunt doubles!

From https://www.instagram.com/p/BX9F8EoD3VO/

Iron Fist appears to be Callum Keith Rennie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I see nick Kroll as Scott Glen and I don't know why

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do appreciate Jessicca, Mattt and Luuke staying in character there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looking at that picture I only just realize how baggy all the Defenders' clothes are. Aside from Luke Cage, at least.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I do appreciate Jessicca, Mattt and Luuke staying in character there.

I get this reference and I hate you for it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is that the guy that does all of DDs spinny kick bullshit

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kind of surprised they needed a Luke Cage stunt double.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I get this reference and I hate you for it

The hand was digging for ysalamiri bones the whole time!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

The hand was digging for ysalamiri bones the whole time!

I hate you even worse

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It actually wasn't deliberate! I was trying to make a joke about them being knock-offs!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished episode 8 of DD S1 last night and this is one of probably my favorite adaptation of the Kingpin yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I like about DD and the dynamic with Kingpin is that they really are very similar. While I groaned at "we're not so different you and I" in Defenders, it's true (and unsaid) of DD and Kingpin in season 1. Both have fraught relationships with their fathers that totally dominate them as adults, they genuinely love and are trying to help the city and the only real difference is that there's a line that Matt doesn't cross and Fisk does. "Why must heroes be morally pure" is done to death in comics media, but I feel like DD1 is one of the better explanations of it. I don't know if you've gotten to the priest's fountain metaphor yet, but when you compare the two characters side by side, they have the same goals, but because Fisk has been corrupted by his use of deadly violence, it corrupts everything he does.

You're also right, D'Onofrio as Kingpin is by far the most interesting re-imagining of a character they've done, maybe in the whole MCU.

e: oh hey some promising news:
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/900424342432919552

quote:

“Now, just gonna let you know, moving into Season Two of Iron Fist, I’m actually starting my training next week,” Jones revealed to Inverse. “We’re at least four or five months away from shooting, so this time around, I’m being given a lot more preparation leading up to Season Two, which I think is really gonna have a huge improvement on the quality of the fight scenes in Season Two of Iron Fist.”

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 23, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

One thing I like about DD and the dynamic with Kingpin is that they really are very similar. While I groaned at "we're not so different you and I" in Defenders, it's true (and unsaid) of DD and Kingpin in season 1. Both have fraught relationships with their fathers that totally dominate them as adults, they genuinely love and are trying to help the city and the only real difference is that there's a line that Matt doesn't cross and Fisk does. "Why must heroes be morally pure" is done to death in comics media, but I feel like DD1 is one of the better explanations of it. I don't know if you've gotten to the priest's fountain metaphor yet, but when you compare the two characters side by side, they have the same goals, but because Fisk has been corrupted by his use of deadly violence, it corrupts everything he does.

You're also right, D'Onofrio as Kingpin is by far the most interesting re-imagining of a character they've done, maybe in the whole MCU.

I think Fisk and Murdock start out similar but I think Fisk gets swallowed in by his demons the further we get into season 1. I'd say by the time we see him in season 2, he's pretty drat close to just being pure evil and that he'd burn New York to the ground if it benefited him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Fisk and Murdock start out similar but I think Fisk gets swallowed in by his demons the further we get into season 1. I'd say by the time we see him in season 2, he's pretty drat close to just being pure evil and that he'd burn New York to the ground if it benefited him.

He admits it himself on the last ep of S1 that he's gone with no way back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd include that in "corruption". It's like, they both started out from a place of immense power and with laudable goals, but because Fisk is willing to kill, he finds himself on the road to villainy. I think the implication is that under the show's system of morality, if Matt started killing even really, really bad people, he'd find himself on the same road and with the same end.

The "no kill" question is interesting to me because I think that most people irl believe that there are some circumstances under which it's ok to take another life, and probably some situations in which people could even see themselves killing a person. Kind of the lesson behind it is that if people get powers, or power, because of these corner cases where we say "OK, in this specific situation it's alright to bend my rule", they end up compromising themselves more and more. Obviously the reason that there are more villains than heroes in comics is because every hero has a rogues gallery, but you could make a reasonable in-universe explanation for that disparity by saying that the vast majority of people who invent a super-weapon or get superpowers end up as villains because that's the natural path of power corrupting. It's only very special people with strong committed morals who are able to avoid that path, and DD season 1 explores that concept as well as I've seen, certainly on the screen. It gets even more explicit in s2 where you have Matt facing off against his dark mirror in Punisher.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Daredevil Season 3 is adapting Born Again aka the one where Kingpin gaslights Matt into insanity. Also the one where Karen Page becomes a heroin-addicted prostitute, but they'll probably leave that out.

Also: reminder that the Tick is out on Friday, and I'm hearing good things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isn't that kinda obvious from how Defenders ended?

Literally ends with Matt in a hospital bed, and then one of the Nuns calls for Matt mom's name Maggie

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

zoux posted:

Whoa Daredevil Season 3 is adapting Born Again aka the one where Kingpin gaslights Matt into insanity. Also the one where Karen Page becomes a heroin-addicted prostitute, but they'll probably leave that out.

Not excited for the potential of more bland and dumb Matt/Karen garbage but I don't think they have it in them to avoid it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HIJK posted:

Not excited for the potential of more bland and dumb Matt/Karen garbage but I don't think they have it in them to avoid it.

Marvel Studios stuff likes to borrow the occasional iconic scene (Daredevil and Punisher on the roof for instance), but they rarely follow the same plot beats of what they're adapting that closely.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A LOT of people seem to have made the leap to assuming the door in the Defenders was guarding a portal to K'un L'un.

Which would've been actually much better and more sensible than what we got. And you can't even argue they're avoiding the fantasy poo poo, because dragon corpse is just as whackadoo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

A LOT of people seem to have made the leap to assuming the door in the Defenders was guarding a portal to K'un L'un.

Which would've been actually much better and more sensible than what we got. And you can't even argue they're avoiding the fantasy poo poo, because dragon corpse is just as whackadoo.

And because they don't have the budget for it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Kingpin is phenomenal. I actually really liked Cottonmouth from Luke Cage as well. There's something about villains who are actually trying to accomplish something good. Fisk really does want to help Hell's Kitchen. He just wants to do it through bullying and/or killing everyone who even mildly irritates him.

Infinite thumbs down to anything Karen related. I prefer Elektra.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/TVLine/status/900492911250374656

She is adorable, I'm stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Looking forward to the inevitable rage of casting a nonwhite woman to play the traditionally orange alien.