Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess DC wanted some of that hate that Deadpool is getting over Domino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

At least Liefeld thinks her casting was awesome. :unsmith:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I have no idea who that is, but I can't wait to see her as Starfire!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

At least Liefeld thinks her casting was awesome. :unsmith:

The casting of both is awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It'll be weird (DDS3/Defenders)seeing what they take from born again. If matt's already in a church bed, isn't that skipping all the lovely stuff that happens to him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It'll be hilarious when hooker-Karen is the only thing they actually takes from the comics.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Fisk and Murdock start out similar but I think Fisk gets swallowed in by his demons the further we get into season 1. I'd say by the time we see him in season 2, he's pretty drat close to just being pure evil and that he'd burn New York to the ground if it benefited him.

Another interesting parallel goes back to the paternal relationship. Matt and his father have a close and loving relationship where they give their all to take care of each other, but Matt ultimately betrays his father's hope that he rise above violence. Jack Murdock wished more than anything that Matt get an education and escape from the urban jungle, so every time Daredevil dons his mask and punches a bad guy in the face, that's a complete betrayal of his father's ideals that Matt is painfully aware of.

On the other hand, young Wilson Fisk was in constant conflict with his father. He never matched the aggressive spirit that his father expected of him. When he is finally driven to kill his father, it awakens something within him that he strives to bury. As an adult, he makes every effort to distance himself from the thuggishness of his father, but still he is only a moment away from smashing a mug's skull into paste with a car door.

Matt Murdock was driven by the murder of his father to abandon his father's ideals. Wilson Fisk was driven by his murder of his father to embrace his father's ideals.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Whoa Daredevil Season 3 is adapting Born Again aka the one where Kingpin gaslights Matt into insanity. Also the one where Karen Page becomes a heroin-addicted prostitute, but they'll probably leave that out.

Also: reminder that the Tick is out on Friday, and I'm hearing good things.

Didn't D’Onofrio say he didn't have a lot of interest doing more Kingpin? Or was that likely a negotiating tactic?

EDIT: Nope. NVM, I got it confused with him saying no Kingpin in Punisher.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't know they were making a live action Teen Titans show. I look forward to people comparing it to the early 2000's animated series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised about nerds getting upset and racist over anything, but I don't remember any outcry when Zoe Saldana was cast as Gamora.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

I didn't know they were making a live action Teen Titans show. I look forward to people comparing it to the early 2000's animated series.

It probably won't be a funny show, so probably less hostility than Teen Titans Go! or (for a while) Brave and the Bold got.

What's the deal with people getting all bent out of a shape with comedic reboots of "serious" properties?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It probably won't be a funny show, so probably less hostility than Teen Titans Go! or (for a while) Brave and the Bold got.

What's the deal with people getting all bent out of a shape with comedic reboots of "serious" properties?

Nerds hate fun.

More precisely, some nerds think comic books will become a more respectable art form if they're "mature" and they see fun and funny stuff as undermining that and reinforcing the whole "comics are for children" thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

These also tend to be the people who lose their poo poo if a female character is redesigned to be less overly sexualized.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

These also tend to be the people who lose their poo poo if a female character is redesigned to be less overly sexualized.

"but you see, her costume basically being a shoelace and two postage stamps added to her depth"
:goonsay:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

"but you see, her costume basically being a shoelace and two postage stamps added to her depth"
:goonsay:

"She uses her sexuality as a weapon!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah it's my old nemesis, cleavage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

The only character I accept that argument for is Emma Frost.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The only character I accept that argument for is Emma Frost.

Why though? She is an omega level telepath. Why does she need to use her titties as a weapon?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody said needs to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

Why though? She is an omega level telepath. Why does she need to use her titties as a weapon?

I'm really trying to articulate my argument but every way I phrase it makes it sound like

ToastyPotato posted:

Basically, Emma Frost is someone that image is very important to, and she seeks to project an specific image and she knows she's dressing a specific way to achieve that. It's self aware, plus she is shown when not White Queening it up wearing more normal clothes. Even her psi projections are fully dressed. Though artists tend to take this to the extreme.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean that basically boils down to a bunch of dudes writing a female character to have an excuse to be sexualized and under-dressed despite her being one of the more powerful characters on the planet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but they did it like 40 years ago so it's part of the history now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but they did it like 40 years ago so it's part of the history now.

I get that, and I don't even hold any grudge with that, but characters can change. So it seems silly to hold on to that as some key component of the character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't have any problem with them dropping that aspect of the character. I'm always happy when women get pants.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The problem with the "tactical sexy outfit to distract men" trope is that it hinges on the sexist idea that men en masse are so horny and stupid that they would be distracted by flashes of flesh in a live-or-death combat situation.

It also hinges on the weird notion that the worst and most evil men you're liable to face out there aren't also the ones who are most likely to hit women with no qualms, however they're dressed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Did you just not all men comic book titty logic?

Oh no we've gone meta. I'm seeing plaid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Maybe bikini armor...is bad?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i'm in no way defending it, i'm just saying it fits the character as its been presented. I do admit, her least revealing costumes are my favorites, the white one from I think Astonishing and Bendis's black one.

Though I am glad that Marvel got over using Gay Coded Villains.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i'm in no way defending it, i'm just saying it fits the character as its been presented. I do admit, her least revealing costumes are my favorites, the white one from I think Astonishing and Bendis's black one.

Though I am glad that Marvel got over using Gay Coded Villains.

If you're talking about Emma Frost, she premiered in Claremont's X-Men which had twice as many gay coded heroes as villains, and at the time it was the only way to have any gay representation at all (don't get me wrong Claremont was a huge pervert, but his X-Men was revolutionary in it's diversity for a big 2 comic).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

If you're talking about Emma Frost, she premiered in Claremont's X-Men which had twice as many gay coded heroes as villains, and at the time it was the only way to have any gay representation at all (don't get me wrong Claremont was a huge pervert, but his X-Men was revolutionary in it's diversity for a big 2 comic).

I was talking about recently. Holy poo poo did Claremont do the gay coded villain, plus mostly they were chasing Kitty, because being gay/lesbian wasn't enough, they had to also be into 15 year olds.

There's also Cameron Hodge who seems to be driven by his lust for Angel.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Claremont had many (sexual) hangups, but gaybashing (or at least stereotyping more than the usual back in the day) isn't one I would attach to him to be honest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There's also Cameron Hodge who seems to be driven by his lust for Angel.

Claremont didn't write X-Factor, that one' is someone else's fault.

What recent gay coded villains are you talking about? I'm not doubting you, just nothing springs to mind.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Claremont also wrote Mystique and Destiny as a gay-coded relationship, which didn't have any of the usual negatives attached if I remember right.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
None of these people are professional TV critics, so take this with a grain of salt, but Runaways seems to be getting decent reactions from people who've seen a screener of the first two episodes.

https://twitter.com/kelly_knox/status/900419556094521344
https://twitter.com/JimViscardi/status/901072322349731840
https://twitter.com/virtual_don/status/901063937977970689
https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/900158204604297217
https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/900381813415313408

I heard some not-so-good things from a friend at Hulu, but hopefully that's just him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Dammit I checked Hulu to see if the two episodes might be available for me and got all excited when I saw Runaways, episodes 1 and 2, but of course it's some teen drama show from 2012

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oliver Sava hates everything I like and likes everything I hate. He was reassigned from AoS on AV Club due to reader demand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Sava is a professional. He's kinda the AV Club's comics guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sava also reviewed all, or at least a good chunk, of the DCAU shows for AVClub, and wasn't terrible at that, but yeah his AoS reviews were extremely out of step with how the commentariat viewed the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did he rate them low and the viewers whined or he rated them high and the viewers told him how wrong he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"The Tick" is pretty hilarious.

Darkly hilarious compared to older versions of it.

But hilarious.