Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sincx posted:

Don't underestimate all the small IPC improvements.

I just went from a 2600k to a Broadwell-E 6850k, both at 4.3 GHz, and my single-threaded performance increased by 30%.

Look out for good deals and upgrade when the price is right.

I mean 30% is totally not trivial, it only really looks that way as it's 5+ years of billions of dollars profit to get that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sincx posted:

Don't underestimate all the small IPC improvements.

I just went from a 2600k to a Broadwell-E 6850k, both at 4.3 GHz, and my single-threaded performance increased by 30%.

Look out for good deals and upgrade when the price is right.

30% ipc when virtually nothing is cpu-limited these days is not really worth buying a new computer over

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
My 2500k gets 2.1 single core score in Cinebench 11.5, and an 8700k gets 2.27. Not too bad. :)

I wish they did more legacy benchmarks like 100+ modpack minecraft using late game full factory setup processing 5000 Laser Miners + 200 Mekanism's Elite Factories.

Or late game OpenTTD with stations looking like this:

gently caress you, grudston!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

From the linus vid
What the gently caress is this chart showing?

It says value - productivity, but then it gives "MSRP" and "Total System". Presumably it's some coefficient involving price and productivity, but uh who the hell knows how they work. The chart does not even appear to be sorted by any known metric because as far as I know Threadripper 1950x is the most expensive setup on it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 15, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khorne posted:

Hello. I am a data scientist with an MS in Physics. What the gently caress is this chart showing?

I have no idea but it has a meme in it so it’s obviously good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ak Gara posted:

My 2500k gets 2.1 single core score in Cinebench 11.5, and an 8700k gets 2.27. Not too bad. :)

I wish they did more legacy benchmarks like 100+ modpack minecraft using late game full factory setup processing 5000 Laser Miners + 200 Mekanism's Elite Factories.

Or late game OpenTTD with stations looking like this:

gently caress you, grudston!

You might like some of GN's tests, specifically the Civ 6 turn time one. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-5

I wish he would run it on all the older CPUs too.

Khorne posted:

Hello. I am a data scientist with an MS in Physics. What the gently caress is this chart showing?

It says value - productivity, but then it gives "MSRP" and "Total System". Presumably it's some coefficient involving price and productivity, but uh who the hell knows how they work. The chart does not even appear to be sorted by any known metric because as far as I know Threadripper 1950x is the most expensive setup on it.

The vid has a key that was cropped from the screenshot.

MSRP is chip only, total system includes all the platform costs. I don't know how they weight the scores although I think remember a forum post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOnwF8mgXc&t=522s

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2017

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Khorne posted:

more like MS in Paint

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm wary of them used, because who knows how the previous owner massacred them.
They're soldered, if they're busted it's because they were busted to begin with. Nobody who looks to resell is going to bother delidding solder because that's the realm of liquid helium.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're soldered, if they're busted it's because they were busted to begin with. Nobody who looks to resell is going to bother delidding solder because that's the realm of liquid helium.

It's more a question of whether they've been run for years with excessive amounts of voltage. Electromigration is a thing and pushing your chips really hard will eventually hurt them. Some people ran into that with Sandy Bridge...

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

Volguus posted:

Heh. With the latest and greatest CPU you may be able to cut that time in half. Compiling on tmpfs even more so (Linus got his kernel compiled in a bunch of seconds some time ago on tmpfs). Then again ... isn't 2 minutes enough? In my days it would take me 40min to 1 hour for the drat thing.

I know, I know - but everything's built and I don't want to RMA everything.

Thanks for the tip on tmpfs. Next month I'm going to score another 16GB of RAM and hopefully keep a 5GB tmpfs drive

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Just finished putting together my 8600K build, and it feels good man.

However, wtf, even mid-range boards now have gaudy color shifting LEDs over everything, and they're on even when the board is off? I thought it was ridiculous before.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mobby_6kl posted:

Still, after almost a decade (:gonk:) with a Q6600, I just want to go full retard with a 8700 or one of the other 6-cores that can be comparably overclocked. RAM is still ridiculously expensive though and fast RAM even more so. Has anyone seen any benchmarks testing the 8700 with varying memory speeds?

Followup: TechPowerUp did the 8700K:

tl;dr: always use at least 2666, 3000 CAS14/3200 CAS15 is a few percent better, don't worry too much about going past that, or about timings or whatnot. It may make more of a difference in memory-bound games like ARMA or Witcher 3 in Novigrad.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 12, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My 8700k system just shipped, much earlier than expected. I hope this lasts as long as my 2500k did :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

the only shop in my country with 8700K in stock is already sold four of them at $685 (incl. vat). launch day preorders keep getting pushed back to as late as end of november.
paper launch is real, at least in the eu.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's more a question of whether they've been run for years with excessive amounts of voltage. Electromigration is a thing and pushing your chips really hard will eventually hurt them. Some people ran into that with Sandy Bridge...
What he says. If I'm going to drop a few hundred on an used part, I'd like for it to last a while.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So my Asus motherboard enabled BLCK overclocking to 4.1~ on my i5-8400 by default. I'm not really mad about this, I don't think its amazing but since I have the cooling capacity for it, I'll let it ride. However, I can see why it would be problematic for a lot of users.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Michael Jackson posted:

more like MS in Paint
Hey, the other graph posted makes perfect sense.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

VulgarandStupid posted:

So my Asus motherboard enabled BLCK overclocking to 4.1~ on my i5-8400 by default. I'm not really mad about this, I don't think its amazing but since I have the cooling capacity for it, I'll let it ride. However, I can see why it would be problematic for a lot of users.

Interesting. Which board?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

:unsmigghh:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

B-Mac posted:

Interesting. Which board?

Z370-I but from what I’ve been seeing on the YouTube circuit is it’s probably all of the Asus ones, although many other manufacturers might be guilty of it as well. Some don’t even know what they have on by default.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

What he says. If I'm going to drop a few hundred on an used part, I'd like for it to last a while.

This is why I'm kinda eyeballing the Xeon 1660v3... unlocked, and it probably hasn't been overclocked. Not sure it's worth a $100 premium over a 5960X though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VulgarandStupid posted:

Factory OCing the FSB by 1-2MHz to make boards look better on benches has been a favorite vendor trick since the Pentium II days at least.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Palladium posted:

Factory OCing the FSB by 1-2MHz to make boards look better on benches has been a favorite vendor trick since the Pentium II days at least.

Ha, wow, I never knew this was a thing. Seems kinda sketchy (imho) to have this set as default.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Has there been an IPC comparison with the last few generations yet? IIRC Skylake/Kaby lake had almost 0 IPC gain at all. I think they have to move to 10nm for actual gains, but I've been wrong before

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Isn't kaby even very slightly slower per clock?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Skylake, Kaby Lake, and Coffee Lake all use the same basic pipeline so there should be no change clock-for-clock.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Don't expect the initial Intel 10nm chips to be any good if 14nm is of any indication; Think Broadwell, but without the IPC gains. Rumors on the Internets is Sapphire Rapid will finally be Intel's significant uarch revamp in awhile which won't be seen any earlier than 2019 .

BTW reports are confirming multicore enhancement on non-K doesn't work anymore with CFL.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Palladium posted:

BTW reports are confirming multicore enhancement on non-K doesn't work anymore with CFL.

If by this you mean that non-K's can't bump their all-core max over Intel's listed all-core speed (vs bumping them generally up towards Intel's dual- or even single-core max), then CFL will be a hilarious stealth downgrade for a bunch of people.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

If by this you mean that non-K's can't bump their all-core max over Intel's listed all-core speed (vs bumping them generally up towards Intel's dual- or even single-core max), then CFL will be a hilarious stealth downgrade for a bunch of people.

To clarify a bit more, one can no longer exceed the stock turbo for the respective # of cores on the non-K chips.

In addition, BCLK OCing is also dead outright on CFL as the CPU will detect and refuse to work above 103MHz BCLK...Unless there is some mobo vendor exploit we don't know of yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lube banjo posted:

Has there been an IPC comparison with the last few generations yet? IIRC Skylake/Kaby lake had almost 0 IPC gain at all. I think they have to move to 10nm for actual gains, but I've been wrong before

Skylake, Kaby and Coffee are all essentially the same

eames
May 9, 2009

LLC on some Z370 Asus Strix boards is not working and "Auto" Vcore defaults to 1.4V :discourse:

The amount of "auto OC" built into those motherboards is getting pretty ridiculous but how else are they going to top the benchmarks for differentiation from better and cheaper boards.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've definitely had issues with the "Auto" vcore even with older chips, with my 6600k it was giving the chip waaay more voltage than necessary before I dialed in a manual voltage.

EDIT: Yeah this issue was with an Asus mobo

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 13, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's been a problem since like the Pentium 2 days. I remember always telling people to set a manual voltage to what the processor was rated to or later when offset was the way to go offset by +.005.

It also might be specifically an Asus problem because I've been using Asus motherboards since the Pentium 3 days too and way back then it already was a problem. This generation seems to be the worst yet though.

Edit: Asus does it on their videocards too, but to a lesser extent and it's usually more beneficial there since you don't get nearly the voltage control as with a motherboard.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 13, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Increasing BCLK makes my eye twitch from how it messes up some PCIe devices when the mobo uses that as the pcie refclk.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Got my 8700k up and running, just running with XMP and all-core turbo for now but it's already flying. An x264 job that took 3min22sec on my 2500k@4.4 takes 1min7sec on here :getin:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

priznat posted:

Increasing BCLK makes my eye twitch from how it messes up some PCIe devices when the mobo uses that as the pcie refclk.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Intel has long put BCLK and refclks on separate domains specifically so overclockers can toy with it without messing up everything else. AMD hasn't yet implemented similar domains on Ryzen CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TheJeffers posted:

I may be mistaken, but I believe Intel has long put BCLK and refclks on separate domains specifically so overclockers can toy with it without messing up everything else. AMD hasn't yet implemented similar domains on Ryzen CPUs.

That’d be good, at my work we had issue with an asus z77 board that came with the bclk set higher (or the co-op did it and lied about it) and it caused a lot of grief. That’s a pretty old board though.