Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spanish stuff is exactly like german stuff except they didn't measure twice before cutting and the suppliers are all corrupt so nothing is made of the right kind of horribly brittle plastic.

Flint Ironstag posted:

^^^^This^^^^ PR4s let my traction control kick in in even in what I would consider moderate throttle levels, but they are great in the wet. The Pirellis may be my next choice, but, I have to ask, do they have the triangular section that I never found comforting? Failing that, the Dunlops may be my next choice.

All pirellis have that section unfortunately. I used to feel like you do and swaddled myself in the comforting roundness of michelins and the like but then I learned to love the lean and now most tyres feel too trucky for me.

Left field option: conti road attacks. They're decidedly more a sports tyre that happens to have good longevity rather than a sporty touring tyre like PR's but they're cheap and pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Spanish stuff is exactly like german stuff except they didn't measure twice before cutting and the suppliers are all corrupt so nothing is made of the right kind of horribly brittle plastic.

All pirellis have that section unfortunately. I used to feel like you do and swaddled myself in the comforting roundness of michelins and the like but then I learned to love the lean and now most tyres feel too trucky for me.

Left field option: conti road attacks. They're decidedly more a sports tyre that happens to have good longevity rather than a sporty touring tyre like PR's but they're cheap and pretty good.

If you square off a Pirelli from too much highway commuting, the profile is more like a hexagon in shape and it will actively fight you trying to lean it over. Like "you made me this way, now suffer for it". So Italian. The Michelins understand that most of your life might be a dull bore, but at least you get a good pension plan out of it. So French. Wait what?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I loving hate contis.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Supradog posted:

Or you can just ride without paying attention to the little ego stroking mold the marketing division of a tire manufacturer added to the design of a okay tire they make.

If you aren't into ego stroking then why even ride? :confused:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Finger Prince posted:

If you square off a Pirelli from too much highway commuting, the profile is more like a hexagon in shape and it will actively fight you trying to lean it over. Like "you made me this way, now suffer for it". So Italian. The Michelins understand that most of your life might be a dull bore, but at least you get a good pension plan out of it. So French. Wait what?

Ugh what? When I needed tires I looked at a few different "best tire" lists: first I couldn't find Michelin Road Pilots in the correct size so, I decided on Pirelli Sport Demons. I don't super slab but, even assuming normal suburban riding*, did I make a mistake buying these?

* I don't know what to say, I do take turns, but I don't get to ride to work through a mountain pass.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Sport demons are a bias ply tire with a harder compound so I don't think you need to worry about them squaring off fast.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, cool. I want my Honda riding appliance as drama free as possible, and I'm not looking to find out I bought eccentric sporting tires that are unsuitable for my riding.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Roadtec 01s were cheaper than pilot road when I got a pair and work about as well in the same kinds of conditions. They seem to lean over easier than the PRs but still have good straight-line stability.

Also, elephant wear markers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ugh what? When I needed tires I looked at a few different "best tire" lists: first I couldn't find Michelin Road Pilots in the correct size so, I decided on Pirelli Sport Demons. I don't super slab but, even assuming normal suburban riding*, did I make a mistake buying these?

* I don't know what to say, I do take turns, but I don't get to ride to work through a mountain pass.

It was just a little joke mainly, but squared off diablos suuuuck. I had a set on my Pegaso and they were already pretty squared when I got it, and my all highway commute didn't help things. By the time I needed them changed, the mechanic offered the helpful advice of "they go around corners too you know". Embarrassing. I got pilot road 2s put on and the progressive turn in was eye opening from what I had gotten used to! Bonus too that they didn't square off like the diablos because of the hard center compound.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every tyre gets square if you do enough slabbing. That's not an issue with tyre design, it's an issue of road design and rider mentality.

To me 'progressive turn in' now just feels like I'm fighting the bike to make it turn, I just want the thing to snap into a huge lean so I can get on with things.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Every tyre gets square if you do enough slabbing. That's not an issue with tyre design, it's an issue of road design and rider mentality.

To me 'progressive turn in' now just feels like I'm fighting the bike to make it turn, I just want the thing to snap into a huge lean so I can get on with things.

It's all 3, really. Your preference is your preference of course. You want to try fighting the bike to make it turn in, then snap into a huge lean, that's what those diablos were like. From the time I had the michelins put on to the time the bike was stolen and all the other bikes I've had pilot roads on, they've never visibly squared off during my shameful misuse of them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like round tire profiles where a turn is basically linear and it's not harder or easier at any point in the lean.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A lot of it is bike geometry and setup and overall character too. Some bikes (usually European ones) tend to disagree with certain tyres because they emphasize the flaws of the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah my experience is that tires broadly vary in characteristics depending on the bike. I don't mind pushing the bar a little harder to get the bike to turn, as I can make the bike turn faster but I can't make it more stable. The metzlers feel just right to me on the BMW, the Michelins feel a bit flighty.

Of course now all I recommend for any motorcycle is the MT43, preferably on a Montesa Cota 315R. Not only do the tires stick like glue, nothing else keeps you in shape and healthy like never being able to sit down on the bike.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Z3n posted:

Yeah my experience is that tires broadly vary in characteristics depending on the bike. I don't mind pushing the bar a little harder to get the bike to turn, as I can make the bike turn faster but I can't make it more stable.

^^^^ This. I am about the size of a shaved bear, so turn-in is not an issue. But the feel at max lean is very important to me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So it stopped raining long enough for me to get a test ride on the dunlop Q3+. Overall, not bad, they don't turn as quick as the pirellis did but they are faster than the roadtecs. The grip was confidence inspiring enough for me to drag my boot a couple times by mistake while leaned over trying to scrub them in. Fun tires overall, its really going to depend on how they wear. I think anything over 4,000 and I would buy them again.

They were a bitch to seat beads on so I suspect there is something to the "carbon fiber" sidewall or whatever dunlop call it. Took over 65psi each time no matter how much lube and how clean the seat was. They balanced out pretty nice, I was able to get the front dead on with zero weights. Back needed 2oz same as the metzeler. They rode smooth up to my personal speed limit for public roads.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dunlops have sidewalls made of solid granite, this is a well-established fact.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The most time consuming part of changing my tires awhile back was breaking the old Q3's off of the wheels. The PR4s went on smooth as silk with just my tire irons.

I still haven't balanced them, but riding around I'm not noticing any vibration or anything, so I'm just leaving it be. Haven't had it over 60 or so yet though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

I've taken an R1 out for the first ride of the season, then stopped for gas, and realised my rear (Dunlop sport- whatever) was at about 5psi, rode fine up to triple digit speed!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know a couple of dudes racing post-classics who run them with like 12-15psi and swear they're the best tyres in existence if you've got a slow steering soggy late 80's/early 90's sportbike.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The easiest way to balance tire wear while slabbing is to alternate leaning the bike at 45* angles for several miles. Duh. So what if your hanging off the side.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
You don't need an aftermarket seat if you're not sitting on it, either.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I know a couple of dudes racing post-classics who run them with like 12-15psi and swear they're the best tyres in existence if you've got a slow steering soggy late 80's/early 90's sportbike.

That sounds terrifying, I lose all confidence on the zzr and start feeling like I'm not in control if it drops even 4 psi from the recommended 36/42

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you're racing, the tyre temps get so much higher than on the road that you run lower pressures. That's low even by those standards but the dunlops have super duper stiff side walls and are intended to be used that way. You'll also find that once you get over your fear, slightly under-inflated tyres actually grip really well and there's a sliding scale trading off grip vs precision when it comes to pressures. Personally I find the swingarm pressures on most bikes several pounds too high and feel like it makes them too jittery; I wanna get that play-doh feeling in the front tyre that makes it feel like it's literally gluing itself to the road.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I got stuck in traffic next to a yellow 6th gen VFR with full panniers this morning and I was in the Jeep and oh my god talk about jealousy in my heart.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Slavvy posted:

My first set of new tires are some gpr300s. Can attest. Shop that mounted them had them inflated to nearly max f / max r. Swing arm says 28/32 psi. Felt like hinged hockeypucks at that insane pressure.

Even at 28/32 it's got that stiffness but now I'm wondering what pressures to even run. Bike is 380 lbs wet (ninja 300) and I'm 210lbs before gear.

They feel great, at least if it's not near-freezing and wet anyway.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Space Whale posted:

My first set of new tires are some gpr300s. Can attest. Shop that mounted them had them inflated to nearly max f / max r. Swing arm says 28/32 psi. Felt like hinged hockeypucks at that insane pressure.

Even at 28/32 it's got that stiffness but now I'm wondering what pressures to even run. Bike is 380 lbs wet (ninja 300) and I'm 210lbs before gear.

They feel great, at least if it's not near-freezing and wet anyway.

My bike in nearly 600lbs, without me or the luggage. (ZX14s are heavy, and so am I). I run near the factory specs, but YMMV. The PR4s I am currently using seem to have more grip at lower pressures, so I will keep doing that for a while.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found both of my bikes on their side when I got home from work. Coincidentally we are having a windstorm today. Guess I didn't have them in the right place/right direction/braced to not get knocked over. God damnit.

The damage doesn't appear to be that bad. A bar end is popped out on the Wee; it's seen worse. I'll see if I can't pop it back in. Once again crash bars and hardcase racks save my rear end. I'll have another look tomorrow once the wind's lifted.

The ZRX is worse off. Scuffed a frame slider and the end of the handlebar, the tank is dented and scuffed from Porky the "Wee"strom tipping over onto it. There are a couple dents in the exhaust tubing right where they bend under the bike, but I can't tell if those are thanks to Porky or if I missed them when I bought the Rex. They're right in the right spot to be from whacking something while driving.

Questions: The Wee is FI, the Rex is carbureted. Anything else I should check structurally/mechanically before I get them back on the road?

Rex tank, what to do?

Rex exhaust, leave the dents? Is there any way to pull dents out of a tube when it's down in the middle of a bend?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phy posted:

Questions: The Wee is FI, the Rex is carbureted. Anything else I should check structurally/mechanically before I get them back on the road?

Rex tank, what to do?

Rex exhaust, leave the dents? Is there any way to pull dents out of a tube when it's down in the middle of a bend?
Check the oil and coolant level, but apart from that if they still start and run fine there's probably nothing wrong with the engine.

Tank dent can be fixed by any half competent mechanic, but unless it's really bad I probably wouldn't bother.

Exhaust is fine apart from the aesthetic. Motortrend's Engine Masters did a test where they dynoed an engine before and after they beat the exhaust headers to poo poo and the difference in power was negligible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
As if insurance in Ontario isn't bad enough, an at-fault accident will bone you hard on your next policy. :shepspends:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Canadians get free health care, but I hear that the car/motorcycle insurance market is AWFUL.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

Found both of my bikes on their side when I got home from work. Coincidentally we are having a windstorm today. Guess I didn't have them in the right place/right direction/braced to not get knocked over. God damnit.

The damage doesn't appear to be that bad. A bar end is popped out on the Wee; it's seen worse. I'll see if I can't pop it back in. Once again crash bars and hardcase racks save my rear end. I'll have another look tomorrow once the wind's lifted.

The ZRX is worse off. Scuffed a frame slider and the end of the handlebar, the tank is dented and scuffed from Porky the "Wee"strom tipping over onto it. There are a couple dents in the exhaust tubing right where they bend under the bike, but I can't tell if those are thanks to Porky or if I missed them when I bought the Rex. They're right in the right spot to be from whacking something while driving.

Rex tank, what to do?

The few times my carbureted bike fell over, the airbox flooded with gas. Pull yours and clean the boxes and filters. If they weren't flooded, oh well, they're serviced now. If they were, you saved yourself some headache the next few times you try to start them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The few times my carbureted bike fell over, the airbox flooded with gas. Pull yours and clean the boxes and filters. If they weren't flooded, oh well, they're serviced now. If they were, you saved yourself some headache the next few times you try to start them.

Yeah nah, nobody is doing this on a Rex for the sake of a little gas. Just run it until it clears.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I might go so far as to make sure the fuel didn't wash all the oil out of my air filter.

Maybe.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or the cylinders maybe.
Hydrolock will grenade your starter. It's a common problem on some bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The fuel in the float bowls isn't enough to lock up a 1200cc bike even if it all magically made it into the cylinders instead of just splashing around everywhere and making a mess

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been wearing my backpack on my bike so much that now when I ride without it, I feel like I'm missing some piece of safety equipment, wtf. I need a tank bag.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Canadians get free health care, but I hear that the car/motorcycle insurance market is AWFUL.

When I started to ride, there was only a single insurance company that would give me liability insurance (lol forget about any vehicle coverage) on a 1971 bike -- all the others said it was too old and uninsurable. Liability-only insurance on a forty-year-old 350cc Honda, for a new rider with a full license over the age of 25, was $1800.

I later learned that the Canadian insurance companies essentially divvy up all of their motorcycle models so that they don't compete with one another. If you have a GSXR-750 you need to go with Desjardins, but they won't insure a CBR600, so you have to go to Allstate, who won't do the gixxer, and so on. There is also a list of bikes that just cannot be insured in Canada at all, including things like the Hayabusa and the Super Blackbird.

I don't loving know why it's so difficult, since the only person you're going to hurt in a crash is probably yourself and you have free goddamned healthcare through the government. I can only assume it's just a 100% racket, and the only reason it continues to exist is because there aren't enough riders in Canada to lobby otherwise.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's also been some consolidation over the years; my first policy was some company I don't recall, then JEVCO, which was bought my Intact a few years ago.

I went to do onlines quotes at a couple of different brokerages, and they all linked over to the same third party SAAS quotation engine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

When I started to ride, there was only a single insurance company that would give me liability insurance (lol forget about any vehicle coverage) on a 1971 bike -- all the others said it was too old and uninsurable. Liability-only insurance on a forty-year-old 350cc Honda, for a new rider with a full license over the age of 25, was $1800.

I later learned that the Canadian insurance companies essentially divvy up all of their motorcycle models so that they don't compete with one another. If you have a GSXR-750 you need to go with Desjardins, but they won't insure a CBR600, so you have to go to Allstate, who won't do the gixxer, and so on. There is also a list of bikes that just cannot be insured in Canada at all, including things like the Hayabusa and the Super Blackbird.

I don't loving know why it's so difficult, since the only person you're going to hurt in a crash is probably yourself and you have free goddamned healthcare through the government. I can only assume it's just a 100% racket, and the only reason it continues to exist is because there aren't enough riders in Canada to lobby otherwise.

You're close, it is a racket, Canadians are just too accepting when it comes to getting ripped off - see our mobile phone industry.
Also, in Ontario, despite the free health care, in a motor vehicle accident it is actually the insurance companies that pay for treatment, not the government health care plan. If you get injured, your own insurance company pays for your treatment and recoups that money from the liable party's insurance. That's part of the reason its so expensive. Also because it's a racket.