Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

If you crunch the numbers there is actually zero reason to ever have children unless you're some sort of weird nationalist who wants to preserve your superior Aryan genes or brainwash them into your religious cult or maybe just like having little versions of you that you can legally yell at and order around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

If you crunch the numbers there is actually zero reason to ever have children unless you're some sort of weird nationalist who wants to preserve your superior Aryan genes or brainwash them into your religious cult or maybe just like having little versions of you that you can legally yell at and order around

dude, kids are cool

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

eh, if you can deal with the silage costs, you might as well keep one barned up for spare parts

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Or you need a scuba diving buddy.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Even if you raise them as civically-minded Marxists they will just rebel against you and become edgy Pepe conservatives

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I want to give birth to a beautiful baby boy

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dude, kids are cool

kids suck poo poo and are annoying, can't do whatever you want if you have a a stupid loving kid

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Peace de Bundy posted:

kids suck poo poo and are annoying, can't do whatever you want if you have a a stupid loving kid

Cool. Edgy. 5/5

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
It doesn’t really matter what the financial logic is because most people who care about where there money is probably won’t have kids or have been saving for them and all the people who can’t afford kids already started churning them out in this early 20s consequences be damned.

I know that reads like an r/childfree or whatever post but it’s not wrong.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Peace de Bundy posted:

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Given the likely education my kid would have access to and my current financial outlook, I'd consider it a form of child abuse to have a kid.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Given the likely education my kid would have access to and my current financial outlook, I'd consider it a form of child abuse to have a kid.

just being your kid is probably some kind of child abuse

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
If you have already set your personal and professional life in order and make great money,

and have already travelled and explored hobbies with your partner to your heart’s content,

and you don’t mind having to shell out a loving fortune for daycare and health insurance and maybe private school depending on the shittiness of the district,

and you don’t mind having to hire a babysitter each and every time you want to go anywhere at night,

and you can afford to contribute to both your own retirement (so your kid doesn’t end up having to take care of you or stick you in a poo poo state home) and the kid’s college fund (so the kid doesn’t start adult life tens of thousands in debt),

then sure, have the kid.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

40 is the time to get your poo poo together and make brand new mistakes, like matting a crazy younger person and buying dumb expensive poo poo. It's upgrading from anime figurines to sports cars.

:yeah:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm glad I had kids, they're cool and fun. And if a load of goons want to pretend that the reason they don't have kids is because they have amazing lives and loads of money and fun times, when in reality they're watching Netflix in their underwear eating microwave food, alone, wondering why no-one loves them: great, fewer offspring in the next generation for my genetic spawn to compete against.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I want kids at some point but at 32 I figure my game plan is to get more money and then marry somebody 6-8 years younger when I get to 40. I've got a good track record right now with 20-somethings so I figure I'll be just as good at 30-somethings later on.

It may be a terrible plan or it could be brilliant I don't really know.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Actually i'm porking a lot of women and I couldn't do that if I had to take care of a babby

I wanna keep porking women for at least another few years before I give up my life as a man and get a kid that I have to take care of for the rest of what little time I have left before I'm old and grey

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Soo has anyone you know adopted? Like those poor child soldiers n poo poo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Poor child soldiers adopting seems like a really bad idea... I don't think you've thought this through

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Scientastic posted:

Poor child soldiers adopting seems like a really bad idea... I don't think you've thought this through

How so? They'd teach kids a lot more than you ever could I bet

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Tumble posted:

I want kids at some point but at 32 I figure my game plan is to get more money and then marry somebody 6-8 years younger when I get to 40. I've got a good track record right now with 20-somethings so I figure I'll be just as good at 30-somethings later on.

I'm the same: I'm 32 and want kids at some point, but I'm not in a place right now I can start a family. I hope by the time I'm in my 40's I can have kids. That would mean they'd be in their 20s when I'm in my 60s, and that sounds fine to me. It's just sad because my parents likely won't meet their grandkids.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's gonna be a whole generation of autistic kids. So many loving sonic recolors on the internet in the next 15 years, brace yourselves.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I had twins at 38 (wife was 27) and I can't think of a better way to do it. I've traveled, had fast cars (still have my 3 motorcycles), have a nice house with nice stuff and my wife and I both have good jobs. I get to spend the entire summer with them going to the park, reading to them, coloring riding tricycles, powerwheels, etc.

Or, I could have had kids at 17, raised them in a roach-infested apartment on WIC and Obamacare, divorced/split with their mother and today they'd be retard adults and probably already spent time in the slammer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My grandad was 55 when my dad was born. He was 18 years older than his wife though, so I guess that helps.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
With climate change being a thing I don't want kids because I'm honestly not sure what the standard of living will be like them. Pretty sure grandkids would be hosed.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
imagine having a kid, lmao. just lmao

oh boy some people aren't very logical

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Got married almost 6 years ago knowing we never wanted kids. Owns.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Scientastic posted:

poor child soldiers are the worst! they can't even afford bullets. Just running around with empty guns yelling BANG BANG

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Tumble posted:

:same:

I'm in school again and I've gotten approached while studying at the library or going to the college bars. Never happened to me the first time through uni though. lol

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Scientastic posted:

I'm glad I had kids, they're cool and fun. And if a load of goons want to pretend that the reason they don't have kids is because they have amazing lives and loads of money and fun times, when in reality they're watching Netflix in their underwear eating microwave food, alone, wondering why no-one loves them: great, fewer offspring in the next generation for my genetic spawn to compete against.

Totally this--the forums in general are really hostile to children. I think a lot of people are oddly defensive about it, even though nobody who has kids gives a poo poo if you decide to have kids or not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RobotDogPolice posted:

With climate change being a thing I don't want kids because I'm honestly not sure what the standard of living will be like them. Pretty sure grandkids would be hosed.

If they have money and they're in America they'll be fine.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Totally this--the forums in general are really hostile to children. I think a lot of people are oddly defensive about it, even though nobody who has kids gives a poo poo if you decide to have kids or not.

I dunno awful lot of posts like this trying to justify it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think wanting kids, in the abstract, requires justification. It's the most basic biological impulse there is.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Killing and eating someone, in the abstract, is pretty basic too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

just being your kid is probably some kind of child abuse
Turn on your monitor

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

doverhog posted:

Killing and eating someone, in the abstract, is pretty basic too.

kids are pretty tasty

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I know, I was half trolling. I just didn't like the implication that because people choose not to have kids for any reason they are literally 'hostile' to them directly or some poo poo.
That's a dumb notion.
I can say I think the idea of having kids sounds like an awful experience without meaning "I will approach you and your child in public and insult you both"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Turn on your monitor

your not my dad! This doesn't even make sense

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

4 out of 5 mental health professionals of the future agree that goons should have kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

You guys saying it's cool and good to be a bachelor manchild until your forties and then marry someone who was born when you were a teenager are kinda gross imo. Like maybe you've sown your wild oats or whatever and are ready to be a family man, but it sort of sounds like you're just dicking around while you run out the biological clock.

Marrying someone who will probably outlive you by twenty years seems kinda hosed up and it's probably bad for a marriage to have one partner be "old" while the other is barely middle aged.

Personally, I'd like to live long enough to get to know my grandkids, but it's nice to know goons have hacked the Gibson and found one weird trick to get away with wasting your youth. Lord knows I might change my tune if I keep loving up long enough.

• Locked thread