Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

apparently I don't

Well that's the mistake men made, you told women you didn't want them to be women, and they stopped being conscientious of your masculinity. whoops lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pick posted:

Well that's the mistake men made, you told women you didn't want them to be women, and they stopped being conscientious of your masculinity. whoops lol

When did men tell women to stop being women?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pick posted:

HYDE X PICK (lemon)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

When did men tell women to stop being women?

about 1985

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Getting hitched is something I'd like to go for, but having kids just seems like a lot of stress and financial burden all so that maybe someone will be guilted into putting me in a home when I get too old to not poo poo myself all the time.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5pXt7h1tQ&t=27s

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

HYDE X PICK (lemon)

What does this mean Lawrence?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This thread has taught me that no one here is suited to be a parent.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

This thread has taught me that no one is suited to be a parent.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I actually don't think parenting is that difficult, you just have to prioritise another person's needs over your own, which is where I think a lot of people struggle.

They go to bed quite early, so it's not like you don't get any time for yourself, and realistically, what are you going to do in that time anyway? I experience a lot more of what London has to offer now I have children, before they came along I spent most of my spare time in bars.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Marriage lol. Hello 1950's!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
pretty rich blonde and like , I can't get married !! *ignores nightly puppy sacrifices *

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

No it isn't

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I feel like you have to have a successful long term relationship to get married and have kids so most milennials are hosed.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've never wanted to be married, after witnessing my parents divorce. It's like, if there was mad love and the lady of my dreams really wanted to get married, ugh I guess we can... :eng99:

Surprisingly it hasn't come up so far! :downs:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

If you crunch the numbers there is actually zero reason to ever have children unless you're some sort of weird nationalist who wants to preserve your superior Aryan genes or brainwash them into your religious cult or maybe just like having little versions of you that you can legally yell at and order around

it’s not really about the numbers op

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Lol one pick post caused a derail... nice job babe

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

frogge posted:

having kids just seems like a lot of stress and financial burden all so that maybe someone will be guilted into putting me in a home when I get too old to not poo poo myself all the time.

It is, don't do it. You won't live long enough to ever be put in a home so don't worry about it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

If you crunch the numbers there is actually zero reason to ever have children unless you're some sort of weird nationalist who wants to preserve your superior Aryan genes or brainwash them into your religious cult or maybe just like having little versions of you that you can legally yell at and order around

Jokes on you if you don't have kids your soul won't take over your great grandkids when you die

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I’m pretty sure my infant is trying to kill me and I’m only 30, I think. I really am having trouble remembering because I haven’t slept in a year and a half.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Scientastic posted:

I actually don't think parenting is that difficult, you just have to prioritise another person's needs over your own, which is where I think a lot of people struggle.

They go to bed quite early, so it's not like you don't get any time for yourself, and realistically, what are you going to do in that time anyway? I experience a lot more of what London has to offer now I have children, before they came along I spent most of my spare time in bars.

I like this perspective (I don't have kids/I'm one of those 'never wanted them' types). But whatever you do with your time and resources, you have to prioritize one thing over another. Culturally, we don't value the simple, beautiful work of caring for other humans, which is a drat shame. But we also put immense pressure on people to have kids. I feel like we could do a better job of, like, supporting that choice after the kid is here.

To address the more specific thread topic, for me, my 40s are definitely not my 'new 30s' for one reason- the late 30s metabolism slow down was REAL for me. I'm active and all that poo poo but I really had to carefully audit and then reconsider my diet of cheap sparkling wine, fries and Cheetos. That sucked for me but I didn't want to buy a whole new wardrobe so I did it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ruggan posted:

Lol one pick post caused a derail... nice job babe

I could never do it without your guys' help :wave:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If millenials as a generation are putting off having kids or actually giving up on having kids, that really sad. Personally i dont want kids and wouldnt be a good parent because I'm a genderbending weirdo. But its depressing to hear that other people my age and younger are like "Well...guess I just can't have kids, then...:smith: ".

And no I dont think a person's 40s are the new 30s because aging is still a thing. If anything, millenials will probably end up having shorter life expectancies than baby boomers.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I think millennial should aspire to Jeff Goldblum having a kid at 60 with someone presumably half his age. Living the dream

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I think millennial should aspire to Jeff Goldblum having a kid at 60 with someone presumably half his age. Living the dream

any remaining eggs of mine will crunch at that age

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Blue Star posted:

And no I dont think a person's 40s are the new 30s because aging is still a thing. If anything, millenials will probably end up having shorter life expectancies than baby boomers.

Also lollin at the thought of Millennials having their poo poo together by the time they're 40

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The Brown Menace posted:

Also lollin at the thought of Millennials having their poo poo together by the time they're 40

You're poo poo is together by 28 or it's never together.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Blockade posted:

That's what I'm saying

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blockade posted:

whew i did it!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Uncle Salty posted:

I like this perspective (I don't have kids/I'm one of those 'never wanted them' types). But whatever you do with your time and resources, you have to prioritize one thing over another. Culturally, we don't value the simple, beautiful work of caring for other humans, which is a drat shame. But we also put immense pressure on people to have kids. I feel like we could do a better job of, like, supporting that choice after the kid is here.

To address the more specific thread topic, for me, my 40s are definitely not my 'new 30s' for one reason- the late 30s metabolism slow down was REAL for me. I'm active and all that poo poo but I really had to carefully audit and then reconsider my diet of cheap sparkling wine, fries and Cheetos. That sucked for me but I didn't want to buy a whole new wardrobe so I did it.

It's really true; our society doesn't do a great job of providing child care resources, time off, etc. And people who care for children aren't paid nearly enough and the work itself, even important jobs like teachers, are looked down upon.

Someone mentioned upthread about some people just being better suited to parenting, and I think I agree with that--like, our friends just had their second and the mother mentioned missing her 2 month old when he naps. That thought would never occur to me--my daughter's nap time is my free time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everything is all about children, and we treat them like dirt garbage, and it's a real shame. People tend to become better people when they have kids. Or much, much worse people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no correlation between age of the mother and autism, but there sure as gently caress is with downs. it's very well documented.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Jokes on you if you don't have kids your soul won't take over your great grandkids when you die

lol if you don't want to release your soul from the wheel of dharma and cease to exist on this gay earth

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My wife and I went into our relationship knowing neither of us wanted kids. People ask me what I'm going to do when I'm old, but joke's on them, I don't take good enough care of myself to live that long. :smug:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Meldonox posted:

My wife and I went into our relationship knowing neither of us wanted kids. People ask me what I'm going to do when I'm old, but joke's on them, I don't take good enough care of myself to live that long. :smug:

Nothing wrong with that--committing to another person is its own reward, even without the joy of children and raising a family together.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Blockade posted:

whelp I'm hosed.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i think i want kids but i also cant imagine being done with spending all my money on myself when im 30. and once im 40 i dont know if my eggs are still "good"? there is always adoption tho, and i think i would be willing to do that. but who knows maybe ill pick up a drug addiction or get my face scarred up and no one will marry me.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i think i want kids but i also cant imagine being done with spending all my money on myself when im 30. and once im 40 i dont know if my eggs are still "good"? there is always adoption tho, and i think i would be willing to do that. but who knows maybe ill pick up a drug addiction or get my face scarred up and no one will marry me.

Only have kids if you are totally totally sure. Stay conscious of the overwhelming propaganda and societal pressure to breed and make the right decision for you.

I've hosed up everything in my life and will likely die alone but I still have no regrets at all about not having kids, it's the one thing I did right.

And yes after 40 chances of birth defects etc do go up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i also cant imagine being done with spending all my money on myself when im 30

Yes, parents immediately stop spending any money on themselves the moment they have children. I haven't bought myself anything in six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Scientastic posted:

Yes, parents immediately stop spending any money on themselves the moment they have children. I haven't bought myself anything in six years.

So weird how I just ordered the Justice League International Omnibus for myself and my baby is still fed and diapered...

• Locked thread