Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

JL was a huge let down tho. Basically ruined every single character. I hope the loving nerds who cried about colour and levity are happy. Fuckers.

We got an MCU movie with even worse special effects. Just sloppy filmmaking from top to bottom.

But we got some Joss Whedon quips! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What disappointed me the most about JL was how we’re constantly reminded that Diana is a super sexy lady. Also Superman’s 180 from being a guy who’s trying to figure out his place in the world and realizing that everything his does will have some sort of negative consequence to a happy go lucky guy who is cracking jokes was jarring.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

What disappointed me the most about JL was how we’re constantly reminded that Diana is a super sexy lady. Also Superman’s 180 from being a guy who’s trying to figure out his place in the world and realizing that everything his does will have some sort of negative consequence to a happy go lucky guy who is cracking jokes was jarring.

He was utterly drained of any pathos. What was his takeaway from being dead?

"that was weird"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not sure if they're true or not since everyone and their mother seems to be leaking things from the production, but that spoilered thing was supposed to have more to it and have a curve. True or not, it sounds like another monkey paw wish.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whedon ruins everything he touches. I'm so glad the Russos got the job for the next Avengers movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sponges posted:

"that was weird"

He was also itchy

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Whedon ruins everything he touches. I'm so glad the Russos got the job for the next Avengers movies.

Remember in Age of Ultron when Captain America said a swear and Iron Man said "you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Just hilarious stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sponges posted:

"that was weird"

That kind of character development will be handled in Superman's next standalone movie. A Superman movie with no other heroes. They're definitely going to make another one. Any day now. For sure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

That kind of character development will be handled in Superman's next standalone movie. A Superman movie with no other heroes. They're definitely going to make another one. Any day now. For sure.

Mostly because it won't be Whedon writing it. The difference between Captain America in the Avengers movies and his solo movies were pretty jarring.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not worse critically, SS got like a 18% or something.

JL also current has the best user rating for a DCEU movie after Wonder Woman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The MSJ posted:

Mostly because it won't be Whedon writing it. The difference between Captain America in the Avengers movies and his solo movies were pretty jarring.
Loki as well; he's a boring, one-note villain in Avengers and lacks any of the humour and pathos he has in the Thor movies.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The MSJ posted:

The P.T. Barnum musical I saw advertised before the movie takes on new meaning.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

sponges posted:

"that was weird"

CelticPredator posted:

He was also itchy
I may be misremembering because it’s been years since I saw it but wasn’t Buffy’s reaction to being brought back from the dead similar? I think she even said something about being “itchy” when someone asked her what it felt like.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Apollo posted:

I may be misremembering because it’s been years since I saw it but wasn’t Buffy’s reaction to being brought back from the dead similar? I think she even said something about being “itchy” when someone asked her what it felt like.

gently caress this world if so.

Hearing that the original stinger was supposed to be two Lanterns visiting Bruce... makes me so angry. That would have been so much better than HEY REMEMBER WHEN THE FLASH RACED SUPERMAN.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

There are a lot of people who really like the Marvel formula and didn't care for MoS and BvS who are really happy that a movie with Batman and Superman came out and wasn't like those two, to the point where they just kind of ignore how ugly and stilted the movie itself was.

Actually my reaction to JL compared to the reaction of others has really shown me just how much more aesthetics matter for me in movies than for other people. Like, I can't forgive a movie that looks as bad as Justice League does, but a movie with some really pretty shots in it can be worth a watch even if there's not a lot else to it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd say Steppenwolf has clearer motivation and more characterization than say, Ares, Malekith, Ronan, Enchantress, Kaecilius, Parallax, Dr. Doom, Avengers Loki (if that's the only version you saw, Loki in other movies is much better), maybe Killian. He's fairly middle of the pack.

Really if I think about it he's almost exactly the same character as Ronan, except better at his job. Giant gently caress off hammer, servant of Purple Space Lord, wants MacGuffin to destroy planet. I think Ronan fights about one dude in the film before the finale (in which he doesn't really fight), and has one, maybe two scenes of dialog? And he's just a dude with blue body paint in a robe. Steppenwolf at least looks suitably ancient, has metal horns and poo poo, fights an army of Amazons and another couple armies and green lanterns, and has one successful encounter with the JL.

Also I read in various places this movie ended with a blue laser in the sky, making fun of it using that cliche, but uh, I don't remember there actually being any blue sky laser in this? Are they talking about the boom tube that's there for a few seconds?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Woooof, Justice League only ended up making $96 million domestic on its opening weekend. That's $70m less than BvS. Ouch.

sponges posted:

I wonder if JL might do better in the long run than BvS? It's a worse movie of course but it's crowd pleasing schlock that might not get the bad word of mouth that BvS did.

JL had the lowest opening weekend of all the DCEU films but it wasn't that far behind Wonder Woman and WW managed to catch up to and then surpass BvS and MoS on the homefront. On the other hand WW had a massive audience push behind it and JL doesn't.
Also JL's B+ Cinemascore isn't the end of the world but audiences rated Man Of Steel slightly better at A- and that had terrible legs so that's not a great sign.

JL's prospects don't look good but we won't know for sure until we see how badly it drops off next weekend.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The P.T. Barnum musical I saw advertised before the movie takes on new meaning.

Probably not the biggest division this ear, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Campiness AND sincerity? This confuses and angers me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Woooof, Justice League only ended up making $96 million domestic on its opening weekend. That's $70m less than BvS. Ouch.

JL had the lowest opening weekend of all the DCEU films but it wasn't that far behind Wonder Woman and WW managed to catch up to and then surpass BvS and MoS on the homefront. On the other hand WW had a massive audience push behind it and JL doesn't.
Also JL's B+ Cinemascore isn't the end of the world but audiences rated Man Of Steel slightly better at A- and that had terrible legs so that's not a great sign.

JL's prospects don't look good but we won't know for sure until we see how badly it drops off next weekend.
A bad indicator is that JL started off with good Thursday results, which prompted the original $110 million estimate, and then had to be downgraded to $100 mil and then to $95 mil over the next few days as Friday AM and PM results came in, which indicates that first day audiences spread bad word of mouth. Wonder Woman did the opposite: each day of its opening weekend, box office sites had to revise its estimated opening higher and higher as good word of mouth drove unusually high Saturday and Sunday attendance. JL is unlikely to have WW legs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't know if it's audience word of mouth or just the rotten tomatoes midnight reveal score stunt. If the score had been available earlier Thursday would probably be bad too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don’t recall if she said itchy, but I believe her first spoken words were, “is this Hell?”

So this movie was significantly *less* interesting than even Buffy was in that regard.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd say Steppenwolf has clearer motivation and more characterization than say, Ares, Malekith, Ronan, Enchantress, Kaecilius, Parallax, Dr. Doom, Avengers Loki (if that's the only version you saw, Loki in other movies is much better), maybe Killian. He's fairly middle of the pack.

Having to list some super lovely movies in there to make the comparison. No, he had NO characterization and his motive was super clear. Not because it was a rip-off of every superhero movie, but the plot was (and I am SHOCKED nobody's calling this more) directly inspired by loving TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE GODDAMN MOON.

Instead of needing 3 shapeshifting cube to re-write humanity into his home world, he needed 3. That's literally the only difference. The fact Superman ripped that plot off to some degree in Man of Steel then they just went full on "COPY PASTE" here.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Really if I think about it he's almost exactly the same character as Ronan, except better at his job. Giant gently caress off hammer, servant of Purple Space Lord, wants MacGuffin to destroy planet. I think Ronan fights about one dude in the film before the finale (in which he doesn't really fight), and has one, maybe two scenes of dialog? And he's just a dude with blue body paint in a robe. Steppenwolf at least looks suitably ancient, has metal horns and poo poo, fights an army of Amazons and another couple armies and green lanterns, and has one successful encounter with the JL.

Ronin was super, super weak as an enemy. Super. He was barely there. But you know what made him tolerable? The fact he was a total joke. He is defeated by a loving dance off. The movie treated him equally as expendable as he actually was. This movie seems to think they have a good villain..

He was literally a Saturday morning cartoon character. I VASTLY preferred him over Lex "I have absolutely no loving plan and make no sense and this is really stupid" Luthor but this veered so far in the other direction I expected his last words to be "NEXT TIME, SUPERMAN!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also I read in various places this movie ended with a blue laser in the sky, making fun of it using that cliche, but uh, I don't remember there actually being any blue sky laser in this? Are they talking about the boom tube that's there for a few seconds?

He travels around via a blue beam in the sky and summons hordes of creatures with a blue beam in the sky so they probably got confused by the McGuffin making a colorful Sphere On The Ground instead. Originality at it's finest.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

I think this thread is mostly populated by hardcore Snyder fans who think Wheedon broke their previous movie rather than Wheedon coming in and trying to bail water out of a sinking ship to make something remotely watchable under a 2 hour mandate with half completed footage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a more fundamental flaw with the show which is that the Punisher is most interesting in the context of other characters -- he appeals to our base desires for vengeance and retribution, and the drama comes from nobler characters struggling with that as they vie with him to define justice and pursue it on their own terms. His own arc just isn't that interesting.

That is why the most well known run on the comics, the Ennis run, tends to focus almost entirely on the Punisher's victims in most arcs. They're almost like slasher movies if you replaced the horny teens with really really loving awful people and criminals and Jason with an extremely hyper violent killer.

My favorite take on the Punisher outside of the Ennis run is absolutely the Xbox game, of all things. Yeah, he's having PTSD flashbacks during interrogations and feeding people face first into hotdog machines, but it's the absolutely perfect level of over the top if you're spending the time exclusively with the character. But story wise I've always held you want to honestly split any Punisher thing like 30/70 in favor of 70 for the criminals.

I mean yeah, a guy wiping a 100 year old gangster at a birthday party and killing all his associates then killing THEIR associates at the funeral is hilariously over the top, but you could either follow the guy doing this and go "Oh! So badass!" or you could follow the people being targeted going "What the flying gently caress do we do?" That level of almost horror-story element from the other side is what makes the character tick, and also how you can really get a good look at just how terrible the people he's dealing with are, so you want them die by the end.

The Slavers story was one of the most extreme examples, where he burns one old guy to death and then smashes a woman so many times into bullet proof glass she breaks before it does, but they were at the head of a child slavery ring so it works. I feel like almost every version of the Punisher (Haven't seen the new Netflix one) gets the character wrong, or at least goes in a way other than what made it work.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 20, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Having to list some super lovely movies in there to make the comparison. No, he had NO characterization and his motive was super clear. Not because it was a rip-off of every superhero movie, but the plot was (and I am SHOCKED nobody's calling this more) directly inspired by loving TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE GODDAMN MOON.

I can't believe I'm going to be the guy correcting statements about the plots of Transformers movies, but Age of Extinction is the one where the villains were trying to terraform earth to make it habitable for their race. Dark of the Moon had the Decepticons trying to teleport Earth to Cybertron's atmosphere so they could rob all of the resources from Earth and enslave humanity.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think this thread is mostly populated by hardcore Snyder fans who think Wheedon broke their previous movie rather than Wheedon coming in and trying to bail water out of a sinking ship to make something remotely watchable under a 2 hour mandate with half completed footage.

Whedon was brought in to work on the script and dialogue with Zack Snyder, which is what Joss Whedon excels at as a filmmaker. He got the director job after Snyder left because he was a guy on set who already had blockbuster experience, knew the script, and would be able to get stuff done by the time they needed it done. The studio had him do a bunch of extra "fixes" that resulted in a bunch of scenes set in tiny uninteresting rooms that were lit poorly because he's not a good visual director, and probably had a very limited budget. It's not really Joss' fault that he got hired to do something he's not very good at considering he was originally brought on to do something he's very good at. He didn't break the movie, the studio did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's telling that no one even attempts to defend Whedon's stuff on his own terms.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't believe I'm going to be the guy correcting statements about the plots of Transformers movies, but Age of Extinction is the one where the villains were trying to terraform earth to make it habitable for their race. Dark of the Moon had the Decepticons trying to teleport Earth to Cybertron's atmosphere so they could rob all of the resources from Earth and enslave humanity.

Ah, yep. I definitely stand correction. They are all one big blur of twisting metal and crunches after the first one sometimes to me. I have no idea how I managed to see all of them up until the Knight one...

That said, it was basically the same story except he needed 3 McGuffins instead of 1 McGuffin. Steppenwolf like a boss from a video game.. not even the end boss. More like a side quest. Things I know about him after the movie:

1) His minions absolutely suck
2) Something about loving his mother's box
3) Something about Darkseid, a name I recognize
4) He likes to generally posture and taunt
5) No matter if they were a human, alien, God or whatever everyone turns into the exact same CGI bug dude when he beats them, uh, somehow?
6) Seemed to like his axe, I guess?
7) Seemingly can teleport into the sky up an down at will, never does it in battle and I have no idea where he goes
8) He wants.. uh.. to make the world like his home.. I think.. somehow this will make people love him? I think? Or will they love him when they get turned into fear eating bugs?
9) His powers include being big, hitting things hard, and being hit hard, like a lovely 11 foot tall Colossus

Did I miss anything?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 20, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's a reason you don't see praise for whoever the hell was responsible for the Fantastic Four reshoots either. They both loving suck.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's almost like Whedon has literally never made a good movie in his life and he was brought in as a last ditch effort.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

There's a reason you don't see praise for whoever the hell was responsible for the Fantastic Four reshoots either. They both loving suck.

And people definitely liked the stuff that was clearly before the reshoots. It's almost like audiences aren't that stupid and don't just like whatever they're supposed to like.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ah, yep. I definitely stand correction. They are all one big blur of twisting metal and crunches after the first one sometimes to me. I have no idea how I managed to see all of them up until the Knight one...

That said, it was basically the same story except he needed 3 McGuffins instead of 1 McGuffin. Steppenwolf like a boss from a video game.. not even the end boss. More like a side quest.

I knew this off hand because Dark of the Moon is the best Transformers movie by a long shot, and is probably one of the best huge blockbuster movies of the last decade. I agree with you about Steppenwolf though. There are very few comic book movies that truly compelling villains and it's mostly because they're disposed of by the end of the movie. The most memorable ones are ones that are allowed growth and coexistence (see: Magneto, Loki). There are good single-movie villains but they're much fewer and farther between (Nolan and Raimi are the best at these, but shouts to Spider-Man Homecoming who had a really good villain, but he may show up in the next one, so who knows).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

It's almost like Whedon has literally never made a good movie in his life and he was brought in as a last ditch effort.

Avengers was way more competent than this poo poo. Hell, even Age of Ultron, which I thought was one of the weakest Marvel movies ever, was more competent than this poo poo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

I knew this off hand because Dark of the Moon is the best Transformers movie by a long shot, and is probably one of the best huge blockbuster movies of the last decade. I agree with you about Steppenwolf though. There are very few comic book movies that truly compelling villains and it's mostly because they're disposed of by the end of the movie. The most memorable ones are ones that are allowed growth and coexistence (see: Magneto, Loki). There are good single-movie villains but they're much fewer and farther between (Nolan and Raimi are the best at these, but shouts to Spider-Man Homecoming who had a really good villain, but he may show up in the next one, so who knows).

I'll fully admit that Marvel thus far has only pulled two great villains out their list, and both were on Netflix. Both the Kingpin and the Purple Man were exceptional.

I admit I liked Dark of the Moon more than I should have as a spectacle (Optimus Prime executing disarmed opponents pleading for their life always makes me laugh my rear end off for some reason). Though being one of the only people who seems to remember the Transformers names/parts in those movies I also find it hilarious when named characters that were there from the first movie like Ratchet or Iron Hide get HORRIBLY murdered and not a single hero even voices a single word of feeling bad about it. They literally melted a main cast member and nobody cared. It's loving hilarious.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 20, 2017

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Avengers was way more competent than this poo poo. Hell, even Age of Ultron, which I thought was one of the weakest Marvel movies ever, was more competent than this poo poo.

Age of Ultron and The Avengers are probably the most incompetently directed main stream movies I've ever seen. They are loving amateur hour from start to loving finish.

sponges fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 20, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

With Justice League, Joss Whedon is a GM engineer who was told to finish a Tesla at the last minute.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

With Justice League, Joss Whedon is a GM engineer who was told to finish a Tesla at the last minute.

Either way I don't get why all the blame is being flung there outside if being cool to throw blame at him these days on the internet.

There's no reality this movie didn't end up a hot mess. So far the DCEU, entirely, has produced 1 great movie and that's it. I expect they'll do Wonder Woman 2 and then try to forget this ever happened.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Avengers looks like butt. It's a well written movie (because Whedon is a good writer and when the character's voices are already right near your comfort zone it's easy to write them) but it looks on par with the Agents of SHIELD pilot in terms of how it looks.

Age of Ultron looks better but is not as well written, I think because at this point Whedon was having fights with Marvel about the direction they wanted the movie to go. There's a reason he stopped doing Marvel movies after AoU.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Than Justice League? Yeah sure. But the Avengers and it's sequel have no excuse for how loving amateurish they are. The script in both of them is loving shoddy and Joss Wheson should stay in TV where he belongs. His movies loving suck.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

Age of Ultron and The Avengers are probably the most incompetently directed main stream movies I've ever seen. They are loving amateur hour from start to loving finish.

You can get hyperbolic if you want but The Avengers came out at a time where everything was SHAAAAKKKKEEYYYYYYY CAMMMMMMM battle sequences, Transformers movies were at their absolute most bullshit (since it's been mentioned in the thread) and everyone was copying them, etc. The fact I could clearly tell what was happening in the actions sequence at the end and everything had a role, and that I could actually tell what the gently caress was going on in the movie, says that no.

Maybe not the most stylistic or artistic director; there's no denying Snyder's got a visual style and Whedon doesn't. But I will take "I can tell what the gently caress is happening" over 50% of working directors today so to say the first Avengers was incompetent main stream.. no. gently caress no. You want that, go watch Goddamn Die Hard 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Either way I don't get why all the blame is being flung there

Because some people disagree with you about this:

Blazing Ownager posted:

So far the DCEU, entirely, has produced 1 great movie and that's it.

It's not hard to understand why people who liked the previous two movies in this series would blame the largest thing that changed for why this third entry sucks.

• Locked thread