Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

You could attack downwards at the stairs as a precautionary measure I guess, I always forget that that is possible now though.

Oh that's possible? Nice. I'll do that in places that have those things around next time. Definitely would've saved me, I'd successfully navigated several patches of them using force attacks and careful searching up til the point I tripped on them coming down the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Consider turning permanent death off, that way if you die of bullshit you can choose to keep on trucking

This game is not balanced and probably will not be for a long long time, which is part of its charm really but it does mean there is arbitrary poo poo that sometimes gets thrown at you

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm pretty sure if a single beth can kill you in one hit, you're either too early to be in bethesda or you've been neglecting toughness

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'm pretty sure if a single beth can kill you in one hit, you're either too early to be in bethesda or you've been neglecting toughness

Sure... But I found these patches in the first temple thing looking at the statue in Joppa leads you to! It was a pretty neat iteration of that area, first few levels were mostly holographic walls, which was interesting since they obscured vision but not movement. I traversed through the walls a lot of the time rather than through 'rooms'/'corridors' since the beth won't spawn on them so I could move about more freely and find them at the room edges then clear the patch.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh yeah thats a fair point then

i think the first historical site you access from the statue history in Joppa is supposed to be lower level than the rest, but the spawns are still super random compared to the quest dungeons. i usually visit the site once for the free level and then peel out asap.

Oct 28, 2003

Whenever I get lurking beths at that first sultan site I just leave until I have a bit more hp. Same deal if there's worms of the earth, those things are nasty.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mr. Lobe posted:

Consider turning permanent death off, that way if you die of bullshit you can choose to keep on trucking

This game is not balanced and probably will not be for a long long time, which is part of its charm really but it does mean there is arbitrary poo poo that sometimes gets thrown at you

Be careful with this or you become a baby like me. It's hard to turn death back on once you turn it off, at least for me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Sultan sites in general are a bit of a gamble and you should usually avoid delving into the first one until you've at least done Argyve's wire quest. You can poke your head in to get an idea of how dangerous the Sultan ruin might be before doing Red Rock, if you like, but it's usually safer to go down Red Rock without using the underground tunnel than it is to go straight to the Sultan site before doing it at all.

Bear in mind that I routinely ignore this order of operations because sultan sites are rad and it's easy and quick to restart if you go directly to the first one and promptly die there.

disclaimer: Lurking Beths in particular are essentially a surprise instakill for a lot of early characters and I definitely would not be sad to see them specifically barred from the starting Sultan site. Ivories are good though, and are an important part of the Qud ExperienceTM

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, the sultan sites aren't the chaingun turret and rhinox swarm extravaganza they were when they were first implemented, but lurking beths and scorpioks are still on the menu and they'll mess up an early character real fast.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
most of the sultan sites on my character are filled with dawnglider fanatics. i've learned a valuable lesson from the experience: blaze injectors do stop you from gaining temperature, but they sure as hell dont reset it if youre already at 3000 degrees

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I give up. How do you violate the Pauli exclusion principle in this game? Where does the quantum state of electrons come into play?? Unless...

Nevermind, I figured it out. Another feature I haven't used much.

The best game with the best achievements :allears:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sultan sites in general are a bit of a gamble and you should usually avoid delving into the first one until you've at least done Argyve's wire quest. You can poke your head in to get an idea of how dangerous the Sultan ruin might be before doing Red Rock, if you like, but it's usually safer to go down Red Rock without using the underground tunnel than it is to go straight to the Sultan site before doing it at all.

Bear in mind that I routinely ignore this order of operations because sultan sites are rad and it's easy and quick to restart if you go directly to the first one and promptly die there.

disclaimer: Lurking Beths in particular are essentially a surprise instakill for a lot of early characters and I definitely would not be sad to see them specifically barred from the starting Sultan site. Ivories are good though, and are an important part of the Qud ExperienceTM

I've started doing rust wells first and have been seeing my characters live longer. Seems like there's less randomly out of depth stuff to gently caress you up in the lower levels of the rust wells, and you usually only have to go down a layer or two before you have enough wire to cash in for the recoiler and a pile of XP, which then makes the rest much much easier.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Check out this update to our November patch schedule.

• Added an Active Effects screen for viewing the details of your active status effects or the effects of other creatures or objects.
    • Renamed 'Status' screen to the more appropriate 'Character Sheet'.
    • To access your active effects, either navigate to 'active effects' on your Character Sheet, or bind the 'Open Active Effects' command in the Keybindings menu.
    • To access the active effects of another creature or object, hit 'e' while looking at it.
    • Added descriptions for all 100+ status effects.
    • Changed the name of the 'spectacles' effect to 'corrected vision'.
    • Changed the name of the poison gas effect to 'poisoned by gas'.
    • Changed the name of the stun gas effect to 'stunned by gas'.
  • We made some changes to the turn costs of managing your inventory.
    • Equipping an item in your thrown slot no longer costs a turn.
    • Automatically unequipping an item when you equip another item no longer costs an extra turn.
    • Splitting a stack of items into multiple stacks no longer costs a turn.
  • Removed snailmothers from the list of possible fungal infection cure ingredients.
  • Added an entry for Mumble Mouth to the Corpus Choliys.
  • Installed cybernetic implants that occupy an equipment slot no longer add to your encumbrance.
  • Molting basilisks now properly inject a stony poison when they bite.
  • The full message log viewer now uses the much better book UI.
  • Energy cells can now be recharged directly from the cell's action menu.
  • Baetyls no longer ask for objects you can't pick up.
  • When you uninstall the optical bioscanner, optical technoscanner, or huge hands implants, you no longer retain their effects.
  • You no longer attack yourself when you try to sleep in a bedroll that's in the same space as you are.
  • Fixed a bug that caused slender and willowy nylon backpacks not to have their weights reduced.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the player to gain reputation when an NPC equipped an item with a reputation-granting item mod.
  • Fixed autoexplore attempting to pick up objects embedded in walls.
  • Fixed an issue that caused various bonuses to be improperly applied twice during character creation when replaying your last character. These improper characters would also generate invalid character codes.
  • Fixed an issue that caused certain subtype attributes, like increased heat resistance, to not be applied to characters created via the build library.
  • Fixed an issue causing outdated true kin character codes to crash the game.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a clone of Otho to be created when it shouldn't have been.
  • Fixed an issue with achievements that prevented books from being read.
  • NPCs with multiple cybernetic implants installed now only have their names modified with the 'implanted' adjective once.
  • Fixed an issue that caused all merchants to improperly be able to recharge cells, instead of only those with the ability to.
  • Fixed a rare exception that occurred when objects with energy cell sockets were generated.
  • Fixed a rare issue that caused a 'too many heap sections' error while building jungle maps.
  • Fixed an issue causing zones to stay active in memory longer than intended.
  • Fixed an issue causing ocassional heap allocation errors during game saves.
  • Rusted Archway no longer incorrectly fills a full 3x3 world map title.
  • Lowered the amount of memory that must be in use before an out-of-memory warning is displayed.
  • [modding] Made the 'Dormant' class public.
  • [modding] Fixed an issue where .RPM files that weren't mods to existing RPM files would fail to load.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Unfinish3d posted:

I give up. How do you violate the Pauli exclusion principle in this game? Where does the quantum state of electrons come into play?? Unless...

Nevermind, I figured it out. Another feature I haven't used much.

The best game with the best achievements :allears:

That achievement icon is the first one I made, and still actually the one I'm most proud of.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Unormal posted:

[*]Added an Active Effects screen for viewing the details of your active status effects or the effects of other creatures or objects.
[list]
[*]Renamed 'Status' screen to the more appropriate 'Character Sheet'.

Can I request a feature that cybernetic implants you start with show up on your character sheet/equipment screens? I started with pentacips but there doesn't seem to be any screen that shows me I actually have these?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Can I request a feature that cybernetic implants you start with show up on your character sheet/equipment screens? I started with pentacips but there doesn't seem to be any screen that shows me I actually have these?

They should show up on the cybernetics tab of your equipment screen.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Unormal posted:

They should show up on the cybernetics tab of your equipment screen.

My screen was too dark and I completely failed to notice that the equipment screen had a tab now :smith:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unormal posted:

• You no longer attack yourself when you try to sleep in a bedroll that's in the same space as you are.

Lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anybody else ever find themselves unable to take flaming hands over freezing because of the item destruction aspect

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just cant because flaming hands doesnt have crowd control

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
That clan of cannibals were seriously into a raw foods diet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Real cannibals only eat their fallen enemies as a ceremonial thing.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

#NotAllCannibals

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Because he was not signatory to the Cannibals' Union, they furiously rebuked him and declared him a villain to their kind.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Vile crosspost from roguelike thread: Steam Award nominations are up, elect your favorite goonspawn roguelike (suggestions: Dungeonmans, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud) to one of the categories!

Certainly we can get more votes than the likes of dota 2 or pubg.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Voted under the 'choices matter' cat

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

related: snailmothers can spawn as friendly mechanimist converts. they won't attack anyone, but they still lay eggs, and their offspring are... considerably less civilized. the entire camp was a flaming wreck after a hundred rounds or so, and i accidentally winged one of the guard wardens when i tried to lay down some suppressing fire to help out, so i probably won't be back to the stilt on my current character

That's just bad parenting.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Unormal posted:

Check out this update to our November patch schedule.

• Removed snailmothers from the list of possible fungal infection cure ingredients.
  • Energy cells can now be recharged directly from the cell's action menu.

THANK YOU.

OH MY GOD THANK YOU.

I even had a specific hot key for recharging cells. Also now I don't have to scum to cure fungal infections if I need a snailmother.

Also I'm still waiting for the third nipple mutation. You can even make it dlc at launch and I will buy it.

By the way, is there going to be a final pass for all the classes to tidy up their skills/stat spreads? With the water ritual being a baseline thing and not a skill you purchase, it's trivial to get the first two harvestry skills earlier on, which kinda makes classes that start with harvestry less appealing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how were cells recharged before? i never really got anywhere w tinkering in general

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Tollymain posted:

how were cells recharged before? i never really got anywhere w tinkering in general

It is an [a]ctivated ability.

So glad about the snailmother change. That was always so rough.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Unormal posted:

Vile crosspost from roguelike thread: Steam Award nominations are up, elect your favorite goonspawn roguelike (suggestions: Dungeonmans, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud) to one of the categories!

Certainly we can get more votes than the likes of dota 2 or pubg.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

Ugh, I have a feeling that Caves of Qud is going to get more votes for Defies Description or Whoa! 2.0 but I kind of HAVE to file under Labor of Love, like how could I not?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I put it in for Cry Havoc because of how insanely fun it can get after it gets going.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Ugh, I have a feeling that Caves of Qud is going to get more votes for Defies Description or Whoa! 2.0 but I kind of HAVE to file under Labor of Love, like how could I not?

I also picked it for Labour of Love

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Labour of love seems very appropriate, yeah.

Back to playing again; it's a good thing I've learned to be cautious whenever crab packs appear since I just avoided getting murdered by another Rhinox. I don't... think they're supposed to appear on sublevel 2 but so it goes. Time to try a different subterranean ruin I guess.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if they can show up as a part of a crab unique's posse at weird times.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I vaguely remember ruin recoiler schematics no longer dropping, but they still show up on the utility schema implants.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

I wonder if they can show up as a part of a crab unique's posse at weird times.

From what the wiki says they're supposed to be able to show up occasionally as parts of a legendary eyeless king crabs retinue, but after one of the Sultan patches they show up in (in my experience) every EKC pack. The only time I can recall not seeing one show up in a crab pack was, oddly enough, in a pack accompanying a legendary EKC.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao i ctded my game by putting a chest in my inventory inside itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

power move