Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PMush Perfect posted:

still no internet tequila ITT

this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

Also I feel like this got swept under the rug but I think it’s the scummiest post in the thread.

Kash - why would a scum Tobbs use the thread to signal anything to his team instead of using his scumdoc?

Why would Town give that information to scum at all? as stated I’m willing to buy Tobbs is a dumbo but I’m not sure where to put my vote quite yet but I think you are really going to bat for people who are playing really dumbly

See also: 50. Did eis playing dumb and cagey, but it feels to me his dumb stuff was is from a town perspective. Tobbs brazen idiocy feels more scummy

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

I don't like this post because it feels very much like a 'Hey, I'm in this game!' post.

Also, I don't believe anyone in this thread has mentioned getting an early hammer or putting real pressure on someone with a lot of votes. However, when I was skimming the other thread last night, I did notice that Bif made a post about early hammers and not wanting her thread to push people past -3 or so without checking with her first.

So it also kind of reads like maybe PMush is more interested in the other thread rather than this one.

Fully agree with this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hm ##vote pmush this seems better for now, especially with pmush being like “hey didn’t read yet don’t hammer no one <leaves joke vote>!” And then coming back later and being like “hm still nothin! <unvote jokephase vote>

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

King Burgundy posted:

Sure. It's a fine claim. But it's a not a D1 fake claim unless he has a bomb that he wants to use on D1 really badly for some reason. Also, Tobbs doesn't strike me as someone that gambits on D1 to get something done like this. It's not like he needed to claim to avoid being cuddled or something. This was out of nowhere.

You and others seem to be arguing that he thought this was a super clever strategy. Can you please talk to me a bit about what you think his thought process was before making that post? Walk me through it.
I weakly disagree with this line of thought. In a normal mafia game, if I can't explain a move as a town move, and I can't explain it as a scum move, it's more likely than not a scum move, simply because scum have more information about what's going on. In that situation, then, not being able to explain his thought process isn't a strong argument against him being scum. Here's a bit different, admittedly, since everyone has their own bit of information and it colors their perception of events... I guess I'd be more interested in seeing people's interactions with Tobbs after a day/battle cycle.

The interaction between Fitty and Kash is really drat weird to me. It feels like they're just muddying the waters a bunch, which is bad when at this point we have about 30 hours to come up with an execution.

PMush Perfect posted:

##unvote

still no internet

this sucks
this is the worst haiku ever

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Get 5 to actually spill his dumb idiot vibes then

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

Why would Town give that information to scum at all? as stated I’m willing to buy Tobbs is a dumbo but I’m not sure where to put my vote quite yet but I think you are really going to bat for people who are playing really dumbly

What I'm saying is about you, not Tobbs, and it's about truth/lie, not smart/dumb.

The post that I'm quoting has you creating a justification that ends with Tobbs not being town, but you cite a reason that doesn't make any logical sense. I don't believe "Tobbs was trying to inform the scumteam by telling them something in the thread" is a thing that you would think if you were town trying to figure out Tobbs' alignment.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

For emphasis I'll ##vote Kash. I'd vote him or Gamer right now.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

And in the event that people care about this sort of thing -

Town Kash (example, example) uses way way way less condescension than Scum Kash (extremely relevant example). I think his ratio of insults : cases is a tell.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

You are arguing against me finding you Town ???

Also yeah, town reads are something scum often makes because they don't have to lie and they know players' alignments. Regardless of 50's opinion, this defense rings pretty hollow to me.

Kashuno posted:

See also: 50. Did eis playing dumb and cagey, but it feels to me his dumb stuff was is from a town perspective. Tobbs brazen idiocy feels more scummy

Murmur Twin posted:

Pretend for a second that I think 50 is scum and convince me he’s town

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually quit mafia because it made me mad and condescending regardless of alignment and I realized it was unhealthy so that is wrong :sun:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

Also yeah, town reads are something scum often makes because they don't have to lie and they know players' alignments. Regardless of 50's opinion, this defense rings pretty hollow to me.

I’ve made multiple scum reads and even listed the people I think are scum

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

## vote kash

This is probably the best thing for me to do today.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I actually quit mafia because it made me mad and condescending regardless of alignment and I realized it was unhealthy so that is wrong :sun:

Hah I still think you're scum (and that you lean on condescension to obfuscate your scumminess). But I have also recently mafia break'ed for similar reasons so I'm going to accept that my opinions are out there and we can agree to disagree.

Murmur Twin posted:

What I'm saying is about you, not Tobbs, and it's about truth/lie, not smart/dumb.

The post that I'm quoting has you creating a justification that ends with Tobbs not being town, but you cite a reason that doesn't make any logical sense. I don't believe "Tobbs was trying to inform the scumteam by telling them something in the thread" is a thing that you would think if you were town trying to figure out Tobbs' alignment.

This point - which Kash seems to be avoiding in his replies to me - is the only part of my case that anyone needs to read.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Kash has more than twice as many posts as the next postiest poster. Yeah he's been very belligerent towards me in previous games and flipped scum, but he also seems to genuinely believe I'm acting like an idiot.

It's very easy to go after people who are posting the most, because they give you the most material to pick apart. They also tend to flip town.

We are almost 1 day out from deadline and need to find something. Fortunately we have KB as confirmed town, which is a huge asset. No lynching is absolutely not an option, and I'd wager he will force our hand if he needs to (which isn't bad since he's usually right).

In the meantime I'm going to try and look over some of the other cases that have been made as I don't like Kash or myself for lynch.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Kash has more than twice as many posts as the next postiest poster. Yeah he's been very belligerent towards me in previous games and flipped scum, but he also seems to genuinely believe I'm acting like an idiot.

Kashuno famously got to 1000 posts as scum in the last Soldiers game I played with him (it's the scum game I linked earlier).

Just checking - I pointed out a specific logical leap that Kash made in his case, what is your opinion of that specifically?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

50 pounds of bread posted:

Trust the bread, it knows things. It acts with spontaneity, wisdom, and exists in a state unlike any other.

If I choose to vote you, there will be a real case, if I choose not to, I will come to your aid.

Big talk, let's see how it plays out.

Yes, because I am frankly quite scummy if you read my post history.

Very self-conscious, but also true.

This is basically where I'm at. He gave me the scummy response, but for some reason I'm not digging.

^This is with regard to Kash.

## vote kash

This is probably the best thing for me to do today.

And where's the case? There's a tiny bit of interest in Kash as a lynch target per MMT, but this drive-by vote easily falsifies his earlier statement about not voting without making a case.

##vote bread

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Like it's kind of driving me crazy that people aren't talking about the actual point I'm trying to make and I'm trying really hard not to be a dick about it so one more time:

Kashuno posted:

Tobbs this is a weird reach even for you. I’m saying the tank claim is similar to a BT claim because of the following:

“I can take a beating but not do much damage” is similar to a VT claim, in that you have given the opposing team a lot of information without helping Town much. It tells their team to either ignore you and spread their attacks elsewhere, OR to bang you down in a massive attack. It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information about who not to target with their abilities because you outright stated you are low damage and therefore unlikely to assist much in terms of killing the other side. You gave both the other thread and the scum team far more information than you have given Town, and furthermore painted yourself in a way that the other team could ignore you in combat

Not good for Town, very good for not Town. You are therefore not town

The bolded part I posted is not a genuine thought process. "It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information.." is not a thing town ever thinks.

Nothing else - not post count, not meta reads, not # of scum reads or whatever - changes that fact.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Kashuno famously got to 1000 posts as scum in the last Soldiers game I played with him (it's the scum game I linked earlier).

Just checking - I pointed out a specific logical leap that Kash made in his case, what is your opinion of that specifically?

I also have trouble seeing scum Kash walk away from a Tobbs vote when:

1. I'm the vote leader.
2. KB largely agrees with his assessment of my decision to share info.

As for his logical leap, he thinks that the info I shared would be a good scum move in that stating I'm hard to kill is a good way to get Texans to avoid hitting me so that I can sabotage our side and not have them waste damage on a scumbro. Also, he thinks that even if I'm town, having players skip over me is a bad play because they might hit power roles.

He's wrong on all accounts, especially in his thinking that sharing very, very basic combat effectiveness somehow means I'm claiming the Soldiers equivalent of VT. I may or may not be "VT", the only thing I feel like sharing is that the information I've provided is neither a hard nor soft claim of having or not having any useful abilities or roles. The only way I'll give up that info is if I'm on the block.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Like it's kind of driving me crazy that people aren't talking about the actual point I'm trying to make and I'm trying really hard not to be a dick about it so one more time:

The bolded part I posted is not a genuine thought process. "It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information.." is not a thing town ever thinks.

Nothing else - not post count, not meta reads, not # of scum reads or whatever - changes that fact.

His point is that he sees ONLY anti-town motivations for sharing info. If I'm town, sharing it helps scum in our thread, invalidating the possibility that I'm town. I think I addressed the rest in my last post.

Kash is drawing a LOT of false conclusions from what I shared, but that's simply because he can't see my character sheet, or he's making assumptions about my character sheet that are based on his own.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Murmur Twin posted:

i didn't want to really comment on it to give kash an answer, but

"this is Bad because it gives scum information" is A Thing among many points that leads to kash going "tobbs is a bad town or scum"

you're being pedantic here, revealing your role tells the bad dudes information, that's a fact. that is what he said. he might then come to the point that tobbs is a bad dude, but that's irrelevant to the point?

unless you think roleclaiming is actually net neutral for towns to do and scum don't get anything out of it??

This is a Weird tree to go on and I find it to be Weird that you're doubling down on it aggressively.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

pls stop metagaming me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

That is not true at all. I think about it in literally every game I have ever played, and it's why I get so mad when people claim for nothing or claim VT.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also there isn't a big enough ironicat for those two posts back to back but still

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, deadline tomorrow, guess I better start at least trying to play.

I still can't read much of the thread, so here's what I can do on a skim:

- TG's claim is kinda weak sauce but I don't think there's anything inherently scummy about it. His reaction is very strong, but I could also see this as a town player with a cool ability getting upset for being called scummy when he's trying to be helpful. Like a bodyguard getting scrutinized when he implies he's bulletproof or something.

- Kash is making mountains out of molehills. In a normal game, soft claiming on D1 would be stupid, but considering those powers are going to be relevant for KingB pretty much immediately? Not so much.

- MMT is on to something scrutinizing his thought processes. Not sure I'm ready to vote him yet, but he's on my radar, and I'd absolutely do so to avoid a no-dunk.

- Related to powers talk, I'm super good bait for sussing out scum in our line-up, so I'm going to lightning rod myself here: One of my powers is that I can shoot anyone from anywhere. To state the implications of that outright, I can shoot their back row from our back row.

KingB, let me shoot their guys they think are safe. Let me surprise them early, before they get word of it and adapt. And let me, if it comes to that, get murdered by scum because I'm too dangerous to let live.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
why the gently caress are people outing their abilities so early is this a joke

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this is the worst soldiers game play I have literally ever seen wow

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

KingB, let me shoot their guys they think are safe. Let me surprise them early, before they get word of it and adapt. And let me, if it comes to that, get murdered by scum because I'm too dangerous to let live.

what the gently caress is this you can't surprise them when they know your ability oh my god

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Then, what, they put ranged guys on the front lines just to kill me? Or they just hide and don't use their healers at all? The former seems very unlikely, and the latter would be very good for us. I don't see how not telling the King to use my cool powers is pro town.

The only way I'd be super useful in late game is if I waited in the wings long enough to shoot their general in the face, but I'm not willing to gamble on living that long.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are you loving kidding me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
'why is letting my enemy know my abilities bad' - a thing people are actually arguing in this game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why don't we just loving all tell all of our abilities right now so KB can make the best possible decision after all sharing all our information is pro town :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"they don't use their healers"

Ok so now you know their roles and abilities along with who to target?

"they put ranged guys in front to kill me"

Ok so now you know the enemy abilities somehow?

seriously think for one loving second before posting

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nvm I have thought about it for a minute and decided this is scum pmush trying to save themselves. I won't change my vote today.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, this feels like someone trying really, really hard to fake anger and throwing out kinda nonsensical complaints. (I can't really articulate why, but they seem super fake to me.)

Making a big hubbub about this to distract from scumhunting sounds like exactly the kind of thing someone would do in game like this, so, on second thought...

##vote Kashuno

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol "I can't say why it's fake but it is"

Because it's fuckig not

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

'why is letting my enemy know my abilities bad' - a thing people are actually arguing in this game

You know zero of my abilities Kash.

As for PMush, I understand KB wanting to keep info limited, and going against that directly rubs me the wrong way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

okay lol that was the best possible time to simulpost

I don't even know what my votecount is (still on mobile), but this is a 25 player game, still a day away from deadline. Why would I fake claim to save myself NOW?

I'm going to keep an eye on the thread as best I can for now, but I'm even happier with my vote than I was like a minute ago.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You know zero of my abilities Kash.

As for PMush, I understand KB wanting to keep info limited, and going against that directly rubs me the wrong way.

I know bud I am frustrated at how you did things but at least I can see where you were coming from even if I vehemently disagree and think it is dumb town at best and scummy at worst.

Pmush going directly against KB and being almost as explicit as can be, however, is ignorant scum trying to protect themselves at best, and scum trying to lie their way into combat and hurt us at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

okay lol that was the best possible time to simulpost

I don't even know what my votecount is (still on mobile), but this is a 25 player game, still a day away from deadline. Why would I fake claim to save myself NOW?

I'm going to keep an eye on the thread as best I can for now, but I'm even happier with my vote than I was like a minute ago.

Because you're bad at mafia ?

• Locked thread