Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

't

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I'm sorry about your uncle.

You have the third most posts in this thread, "I'm not engaged" isn't a good explanation.

That isn't what I said. TQ is right that that was a contradiction and I know exactly when I posted it, and it was while I had a break and was trying to catch up on the thread as fast as I could. My read changed quickly and I wanted to get my thoughts down before I was going to be engaged away from thread for several hours again. It's frustrating when my play is sloppy because I'm having a hard time paying full attention due to things in my life rather than due to being lovely scum, but that's mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Truth Quark posted:

These posts are three minutes apart. "Ton of heat" on Tobbs seems to indicate he thinks Tobbs is town eating a scum push, then turns around and joins said scum push?

---

Meta-read on loud Kash followed up later by complaining about loud Kash. Which is it? Is angry "calling people dumb" Kash a town tell or a scum tell?

---

2. Inconsistencies in posting (see above)

This post pings me. When it suits his "Quid is scum" narrative, TQ mentions that Quid's post on Tobbs was three minutes apart.

But then he quotes two Quid posts that are two RL days apart and tries to make it look like he's being wishy-washy regarding Kash. The first post was from before anyone had cased Kash, and the latter post came after a bunch of discussion (esp. between me and Kash) this morning. To frame Quid changing his mind in light of more information to work with as "inconsistencies in posting" feels super disingenuous to me.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS

Murmur Twin posted:

This post pings me. When it suits his "Quid is scum" narrative, TQ mentions that Quid's post on Tobbs was three minutes apart.

But then he quotes two Quid posts that are two RL days apart and tries to make it look like he's being wishy-washy regarding Kash. The first post was from before anyone had cased Kash, and the latter post came after a bunch of discussion (esp. between me and Kash) this morning. To frame Quid changing his mind in light of more information to work with as "inconsistencies in posting" feels super disingenuous to me.

I like how you use the word narrative to paint the case as a scum push. I have no narrative, I'm posting my thoughts and why I think Quid is scum.

The second paragraph especially doesn't address the actual point I was making. I was saying that Quid changed his mind on Kash's alignment but something more specific - whether or not angry Kash is a town or scum tell. Quid's first post indicated he thinks Angry Kash (tm) is a town tell, then he posted again later to say the opposite.

Quidnose I'm sorry about your uncle though, but my gut tells me you rolled scum this game!

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Truth Quark posted:

I like how you use the word narrative to paint the case as a scum push. I have no narrative, I'm posting my thoughts and why I think Quid is scum.

The second paragraph especially doesn't address the actual point I was making. I [/b]wasn't[b] saying that Quid changed his mind on Kash's alignment but something more specific - whether or not angry Kash is a town or scum tell. Quid's first post indicated he thinks Angry Kash (tm) is a town tell, then he posted again later to say the opposite.

Quidnose I'm sorry about your uncle though, but my gut tells me you rolled scum this game!

Mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Truth Quark posted:

Haha that was just the first word that popped into my head :350:

quote:

The second paragraph especially doesn't address the actual point I was making. I was saying that Quid changed his mind on Kash's alignment but something more specific - whether or not angry Kash is a town or scum tell. Quid's first post indicated he thinks Angry Kash (tm) is a town tell, then he posted again later to say the opposite.

Fair point. I disagree with that being suspicious but understand the point you're making.

quote:

Quidnose I'm sorry about your uncle though

:same: :glomp:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MMT: Gamer feels fine before I do a big read through. That big read through isn't happening tonight, because of who I am as a person (lazy).

TMM is really pinging me bad again.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

MMT: Gamer feels fine before I do a big read through. That big read through isn't happening tonight, because of who I am as a person (lazy).

TMM is really pinging me bad again.

I'm fine waiting until said big read-through / casework (mainly because I was supposed to go to bed hours ago :sadpeanut: ) but as it is right now I have a gut scum read on Keane.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm fine waiting until said big read-through / casework (mainly because I was supposed to go to bed hours ago :sadpeanut: ) but as it is right now I have a gut scum read on Keane.

Still mad that we got Stanton, I see.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
I can see TMM too tbh, he has been coming into the thread, dropping a big effort post, then peacing out with no follow up. He also hasn't voted yet in any of said effort posts except for joke votes early on. Example:

TMMadman posted:

I gotta say I keep flipping around on Kash and the volume of his posting isn't helping. I know he's almost always going to be at or near the top of the post count, but I tend to get suspicious when he's double the next poster and were aren't even a full day into the game. It just comes off to me as if Kash wants to make it difficult to dig through his history. And comments like this don't help.

Now that said, at the moment, I'm not sure I'd want to lynch him today, although I do think he does need to stop trying to drown the thread in posts because for all his complaining that other people's play isn't helping, I don't think completely taking over the thread helps either as it can make it hard for other people to engage the game.

I am most suspicious of gamer and PMush right now. Gamer has just felt off since early in the game and I haven't really felt good about PMush's posts, although that is disregarding that she may be on a phone and limited data.

I don't see anything wrong with Quid at the moment. I was worried earlier, but he does look to be posting more and the stuff he's saying makes sense and comes off as sincere to me.

Also, Hats is feeling a bit scummy right now. I'm don't really buy his case against 50 pounds and don't really know what to think of his defense of Kash. I can't decide if it's scum trying to deflect some heat from a buddy or if it's scum trying to white knight a townie in trouble.

Lots of "I feel" with little or no follow up or reasoning. He also caught PMush in a weird "reading the other thread" thing, which while I agree with it, it means he *is* reading this thread somewhat closely but is still posting very little.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Allllright catching up and holy poo poo this post:

PMush Perfect posted:

- Related to powers talk, I'm super good bait for sussing out scum in our line-up, so I'm going to lightning rod myself here: One of my powers is that I can shoot anyone from anywhere. To state the implications of that outright, I can shoot their back row from our back row.

KingB, let me shoot their guys they think are safe. Let me surprise them early, before they get word of it and adapt. And let me, if it comes to that, get murdered by scum because I'm too dangerous to let live.

This post and the entire exchange with kash really set off alarms for me especially when kash is reading as genuinely frustrated town wrt the whole role/abilities revealing (which i agree is a bad idea) also the speed with which pmush for a after kash when he digs in bothered me as well. She goes from:

PMush Perfect posted:

- Kash is making mountains out of molehills. In a normal game, soft claiming on D1 would be stupid, but considering those powers are going to be relevant for KingB pretty much immediately? Not so much.

To:

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, this feels like someone trying really, really hard to fake anger and throwing out kinda nonsensical complaints. (I can't really articulate why, but they seem super fake to me.)

Making a big hubbub about this to distract from scumhunting sounds like exactly the kind of thing someone would do in game like this, so, on second thought...

##vote Kashuno

A little quick imo. Also of note is the defense of pmush by gamer:

Gamerofthegame posted:

i find the cases on pmush who basically said she's stuck on a phone and appears to be having trouble reading the thread Weird too, mostly because it seems like an easy mark to do

Phone posting is hardly an excuse because THIS:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I almost always post on my phone. I haven't made a post on a computer this whole game.

Describes the total Moatillata Mafia ExperienceTM

Finally:

Gamerofthegame posted:

U G H

As said before, I think the role claim is bad and Weird (this is a catchphrase now, eat it) I made a big effort about it to kb and I don't want to dig it up

him then going into efforts to claim it's okay and the whole argument from it comes off as anti-town. He then hits on a lurker and makes no real case contributions to the thread while ideally declaring everything kash says to be wrong and basically that anti-town doesn't mean scum

I don't think pushing to reveal our combat in potential/abilities in a game entirely based around combat abilities is a thing a Townie should do.

Gamer having a hard on for tobbs because of his tank comment while simultaneously excusing pmush for her blatant disregard of the king in burgundy our very own sancho panda does not sit well with me.

I would be very comfortable voting either

In fact

##vote pmush

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Murmur Twin posted:

What makes you remove the possibility of Tobbs being incorrect town who happens to believe that claiming Tank offers more reward than risk?

Bait how? Like are you saying that you think Tobbs' plan was to trick town into unnecessarily claiming to inform the scum team or is it something else that I'm missing?

what makes you remove the possibility I am some dude who says Weird or whatever your concise case on me is? That's a silly point to make.

And sure. Soldiers games are weird and rare, it's not unthinkable to try and goad people into misplaying.

re: pmush phone, people have different phones and use them differently, obv. I couldn't even begin to imagine to play mafia on mine, some people write literal novels on their own. I can see the argument against her, but she also said she has net issues and is on her phone so it all feels kind of sketchy to go after her day one and not hit her up later, when the excuse, if any, starts to turn suspect

I mean, unless you honestly think scum pmush would just be all "oooh ignore me, I'm stuck on my phone whoopsie"

I'd help hammer her but I'd rather save it for another day, as right now it doesn't seem like pmush can really read the thread in the first place (actually, wouldn't scum have a gdoc to be able to easily hit up "hey what should I post about," wouldn't this sort of posting imply she couldn't get coached like that?)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Still mad that baseball is ruined, I see.

:sadpeanut:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

what makes you remove the possibility I am some dude who says Weird or whatever your concise case on me is? That's a silly point to make.

I'll be glad to answer your questions after you answer mine. What makes you sure enough that Town Tobbs wouldn't share his information that you have a scum read on him for it?

Gamerofthegame posted:

And sure. Soldiers games are weird and rare, it's not unthinkable to try and goad people into misplaying.

Why does your mind jump to "master plan to bait town into volunteering information" instead of accepting "thought it would help the team" at face value?

Like correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tobbs your strongest scum read? I feel like I'm not asking you anything that should be tough for you to answer.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Because sharing information is not a town thing to do? Especially without pressure?

This a bizarre conversation. You're waving it off as just bad town play and not some scummy gambit why, exactly? Apparently we're just having two barely conflicting takes on it.

Ignoring that Tobbs hasn't since really contributed much other then vaguely defending his claim thing and me-tooing on quid, yeah, it reads off as scummy to me.

are we good or are we going to do this circular conversation for another loop

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Truth Quark posted:

I can see TMM too tbh, he has been coming into the thread, dropping a big effort post, then peacing out with no follow up. He also hasn't voted yet in any of said effort posts except for joke votes early on. Example:

Lots of "I feel" with little or no follow up or reasoning. He also caught PMush in a weird "reading the other thread" thing, which while I agree with it, it means he *is* reading this thread somewhat closely but is still posting very little.

So what you're saying is that you don't want me to put effort into my posts? I know some of them could probably be described as wishy washy, but I've been giving my opinions and letting people see as them as they evolve over time.

Also, it's pretty funny that you are saying I am posting very little when you currently have less posts than me in the thread.

And as for me reading the other thread, I skimmed it before I went to bed last night and remembered the bif post when I saw PMush's post the next morning. Right now I currently see ~350 replies in the other thread that I haven't read and will likely never read at this point.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Keane is giving a really subpar effort right now.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

TMMadman posted:

So what you're saying is that you don't want me to put effort into my posts? I know some of them could probably be described as wishy washy, but I've been giving my opinions and letting people see as them as they evolve over time.

Also, it's pretty funny that you are saying I am posting very little when you currently have less posts than me in the thread.

And as for me reading the other thread, I skimmed it before I went to bed last night and remembered the bif post when I saw PMush's post the next morning. Right now I currently see ~350 replies in the other thread that I haven't read and will likely never read at this point.

:shrug: I might be misremembering re: post volume. But what I am saying on the first point is you are making generally long posts that say very little, like with the example I posted.

Also, the last line very specifically mentioned this thread so you are incorrect about that last section!

Who are your top scum picks?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
In the interests of coalescing the town, I am limiting myself to the current vote leaders.

P Mush is the best choice. If you look at P's post history, especially the two below, P does everything to avoid "locking" an opinion in. ##vote PMush

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, deadline tomorrow, guess I better start at least trying to play.

I still can't read much of the thread, so here's what I can do on a skim:

- TG's claim is kinda weak sauce but I don't think there's anything inherently scummy about it. His reaction is very strong, but I could also see this as a town player with a cool ability getting upset for being called scummy when he's trying to be helpful. Like a bodyguard getting scrutinized when he implies he's bulletproof or something.

- Kash is making mountains out of molehills. In a normal game, soft claiming on D1 would be stupid, but considering those powers are going to be relevant for KingB pretty much immediately? Not so much.

- MMT is on to something scrutinizing his thought processes. Not sure I'm ready to vote him yet, but he's on my radar, and I'd absolutely do so to avoid a no-dunk.

- Related to powers talk, I'm super good bait for sussing out scum in our line-up, so I'm going to lightning rod myself here: One of my powers is that I can shoot anyone from anywhere. To state the implications of that outright, I can shoot their back row from our back row.

KingB, let me shoot their guys they think are safe. Let me surprise them early, before they get word of it and adapt. And let me, if it comes to that, get murdered by scum because I'm too dangerous to let live.

If you look at the posts (I'm ignoring the claim aspect, its a complicated game with alot of posts. It doesn't excuse the play, but it is a null tell since town and scum could be equally confused about what the optimal play is), P avoids saying anything. Rather, P baits the hook so someone else can potentially take up a case.

PMush Perfect posted:

Final thoughts before I gently caress off back to exile:

MMT cool.

Kash tryhard.

TG kinda drive by.

Hoping more people talk tomorrow.

Especially hoping internet comes back tomorrow so I can contribute properly.

Sorry if I actually hosed up, King. My reasons made sense at the time.

None of these "thoughts" actually say anything. The thought on Kash especially tells me P does not believe in the case on Kash. What does tryhard even mean and why is it scummy? I want more tryhards, not less tryhards.

I also think MMT's case on Kash is not only wrong but bad. Its a logic game that really doesn't have any connection with scumminess, and reads as semantics that on the surface sound like they are solid and can get people to follow it but falls apart because it relies on wrong equals scum or twisting someone's words. I also don't like that she provided a meta defense of herself early on in the game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Truth Quark posted:

:shrug: I might be misremembering re: post volume. But what I am saying on the first point is you are making generally long posts that say very little, like with the example I posted.

Also, the last line very specifically mentioned this thread so you are incorrect about that last section!

Who are your top scum picks?

So what you are saying is that you have a problem with my posting style?

As for the last section, yeah I did misread that, so sorry there.

You literally quoted a post where I said I am most suspicious of Gamer and PMush right now. I have given reasons why earlier in the thread, it's not my job to go back and find those reasons for you.

However, I will say that nothing they have posted since I originally started being suspicious of them has made my change my opinion of them.

I also mentioned that I found Hat scummy and why in the post you originally quoted.

So why are you asking me a question that was already answered? Are you just trying to look like you are participating in the thread? I mean your whole first line here kind of falls apart when it's pretty clear that I said plenty in that post.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Most of your posts just read like very soft calls to me, so while you're right, you've made some calls, it just seems very half assed to me. You're not really on the top of my scum list right now, it was more of a "oh hey yeah what about that guy" thought when Keane posted about you.

I also agree with you that Keane hasn't posted much of substance at all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This is my first soldier game. The additional layer of the battle is making it hard to wrap my head around what I should be looking for in terms of trying to figure out who is scum and who isn't. I'm glad the thread is active but for the life of me I'm having trouble following the flow. The way I take it is that Pmush talked about his ability, asks to be put in back row, thats seen as scummy because scum players are able to damage players on their own team, and damage the other lines front rank but not back rank where the other sides mafia players would ostensibly try to be located at. We have some people who think that it's scummy to request to be in battles and to be in back rank, we have some that don't care. My question is this being a soldier game isn't it proper to want to be involved in battles or am I off base there?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kid explains it like this, to make it easy for everyone - what Mush did was give a lot of information that can best be used by the opposing camp, whereas the people who could use it on our side are few and far between. Kid doesn't hesitate to mention it's an ability that not everyone has, which of course is even more revealing to the opposite camp.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Personally, what set me against PMush wasn’t just the ability claim she made. It was her whiplashing from absentee contentless posts into an impusive and poor decision (that required no analysis and betrayed her not having read the thread) in an effort to participate. I’ve made that mistake myself before and it’s never been as town.

Having irl stuff isn’t my beef either, that I totally get. It’s the way she behaved around the irl complications that reads so heavily as scum to me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I have a lot I'll probably comment on if I can get to it all before I fall asleep, but I want to lead with a request to follow this request :

Monathin posted:

Kid makes a note of the time. Less than 24 hours until the camp marches, time for speculation is rapidly dwindling down. Kid figures it's time to ask the loaded question.

Each picks three, says why they're worth their vote. Best to consolidate opinion at this stage then keeping multiple lines of questioning open.

From the Kid's point of view...

Gamer is looking like the most suspect. After the train on ol' Tobbs went and derailed, Gamer's been exclusively trying to call out those that think they're suspect, not contributing to the general discussion outside of loudly declaring their innocence. They've been consistently haranguing Tobbs over anything else, which feels more and more like someone shady trying to get someone under the bus for what's more and more looking like an honest misplay.

Mush, the Kid can hardly elaborate on beyond what's already been said - there's far more the Texans can do with the information Mush dropped, and in doing so, seemed to try and encourage others to push forward their abilities. Kid doesn't like that.He's willing to give the benefit of the doubt, given their communication issues, but that rope only goes so far.

Anon, Kid doesn't feel good about, but if he's being honest with himself, Anon hasn't even purposefully tried to engage in the discussion, and even considering the holiday, it's hard to give that much leeway when they haven't been engaging over an extensive first day of debate. Executing them wouldn't do a whole lot of good with the camp, but it wouldn't do much bad for the camp either, at this point.

There's a couple of other individuals Kid feels might be worth looking into, if the rest of the camp thinks it, but we're rapidly running out of time.

We have some people who have already basically done the above, but if you haven't recently listed your top 3 or so scum, I'd definitely like to see it. Don't necessarily limit yourself to the current leaders for this particular exercise.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Like it's kind of driving me crazy that people aren't talking about the actual point I'm trying to make and I'm trying really hard not to be a dick about it so one more time:

The bolded part I posted is not a genuine thought process. "It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information.." is not a thing town ever thinks.

Nothing else - not post count, not meta reads, not # of scum reads or whatever - changes that fact.

My take on this is he was describing, in the same post with no real delineation, two separate concepts. Why it was scummy to do, and why it was dumb for town to do. Part of it was simultaneously about claiming VT. It makes for a confusing read, but I think you are making mountains out of molehills.

I don't have a firm stance on his alignment, but I think this case is off base as a judge of it.

Also, I know this isn't what you meant exactly, but as written, that is actually a real thought people think all the time, including me. This caused some of the other back and forth you had on this, you weren't being as clear as you thought you were. I'm only throwing this out there for you because you know I'm town so you can at least trust where I'm coming from.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

On Pmush,

On one hand, yeah, I get it, I'm totally hosed when I have to phone post, I really need my multiple tabs/etc for the way I read/respond/notate my spreadsheets/etc. Even when I'm not a leader. And that stops me totally in my tracks from casing well or the like.

But on the other hand, I can still read the thread just fine. And certainly when skimming I'd pay higher attention to the leader and his cool semi-moving avatar. And tons of people do just fine spending their whole mafia lives phone posting.

And then after saying she isn't reading the whole thread and either messing up or gambiting as a result of it:

PMush Perfect posted:

Final thoughts before I gently caress off back to exile:

MMT cool.

Kash tryhard.

TG kinda drive by.

Hoping more people talk tomorrow.

Especially hoping internet comes back tomorrow so I can contribute properly.

Sorry if I actually hosed up, King. My reasons made sense at the time.

What on earth is the bolded about if you aren't even reading everything? Like, you want more to not read? I just don't get it.

---

What's interesting, is for other reasons, I was thinking Pmush was maybe scum, but this claim is weird and almost makes me flip the other way on her. Maybe that was the intention? To mimic what Tobbs had done to make me think he was maybe town?

I'll sleep on it and see how I'm feeling tomorrow.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Monathin: weird posting gimmick doesn’t sit well with me and obscures their reads a bit. Not a fan of that kind of posting

I hate a lot of posting gimmicks, but like this one. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SalTheBard posted:

This is my first soldier game. The additional layer of the battle is making it hard to wrap my head around what I should be looking for in terms of trying to figure out who is scum and who isn't. I'm glad the thread is active but for the life of me I'm having trouble following the flow. The way I take it is that Pmush talked about his ability, asks to be put in back row, thats seen as scummy because scum players are able to damage players on their own team, and damage the other lines front rank but not back rank where the other sides mafia players would ostensibly try to be located at. We have some people who think that it's scummy to request to be in battles and to be in back rank, we have some that don't care. My question is this being a soldier game isn't it proper to want to be involved in battles or am I off base there?

I think you are overthinking things. Feel free to play this straight as a normal mafia game. From that perspective, who are your top scum picks?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Even then your implication is I put you on a random list on the off chance you and I clashed after you called me Town so that I could preemptively cut off any false narrativr stories with multiple pieces of evidence, not the least of which is that we have two people who have made it clear they don’t agree with me that I haven’t claimed are scum, and try to call you out despite keeping my vote on someone else.

I mean frankly I’m kinda honored you think I’m this good at mafia

Not sure if my meta is up to date, but Quid having weird theories and at least a few opinions I can't even follow seems like his town game to me. I don't have a strong read here, but wanted to at least throw it out there.

----

I'd put more opinions out here now if more people were on the record, since I think we are close enough now to finish this day off. But I'd really like to hear more people's scum picks before I out my opinions any further. We are nowhere near a cuddle as things currently stand and there are quite a few floaters who aren't putting solid thoughts/votes down.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

PMush Perfect (4): Kashuno, OMGVBFLOL, Moatillata, Your Personal Muse
Gamerofthegame (3): Murmur Twin, Max Peck, Monathin, Monathin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Monathin
Quidthulhu (3): chaoslord, Tobbs Gnawed, Truth Quark
Kashuno (3): Truth Quark, chaoslord, Max Peck, TMMadman, 50 pounds of bread, chaoslord, 50 pounds of bread, Max Peck, Slaan, Truth Quark, TMMadman, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, 50 pounds of bread, PMush Perfect, Quidthulhu, Slaan, Murmur Twin
Tobbs Gnawed (1): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, PMush Perfect, Kashuno, Monathin, Quidthulhu, Gamerofthegame, PMush Perfect, Kashuno, Quidthulhu, Monathin
50 pounds of bread (1): Slaan, Slaan, Tobbs Gnawed, The Lord of Hats, Tobbs Gnawed
Truth Quark (1): GeneX
SalTheBard (1): Hal Incandenza
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
The Lord of Hats (0): GeneX, GeneX
chaoslord (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
GeneX (0): OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno, OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno
Slaan (0): 50 pounds of bread, Gamerofthegame, Truth Quark, Gamerofthegame, 50 pounds of bread, Truth Quark
Your Personal Muse (0): Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed
OMGVBFLOL (0): GeneX, GeneX
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
Murmur Twin (0): TMMadman, chaoslord, chaoslord, TMMadman

Not Voting (8): Anomalous Amalgam, CCKeane, Flying Leatherman, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, SalTheBard, Slaan, TMMadman :rubshands:

With 25 people still alive, it takes 13 votes to execute.
The current deadline is January 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 15 hours, 2 minutes.

When Shine surfaced in New York City during the height of Prohibition, people naturally compared it to the most similar thing they were already drinking - moonshine. (Naturally, that led to its naming.) But when Shine came to Mexico, people had a different comparison in mind... tequila. Whether it was an apt likeness or not, that mattered little to small distilleries eager to get out of the flooded (soaked?) tequila market and make something new. Thus, as Shine rose to prominence in Mexico, tequila began to decline.

It was one such recently-converted distillery in Celaya, caught up in its new Shine creation and experimentation, that caught Pancho Villa's eye while out on an early morning ride and gave him the spark of an idea that would change the world forever...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Insomnia is a pain.

Top 3 scumreads are currently Slaan, Hats, and Keane

Slaan, because he a) had an incomprehensible vote on Kashuno for metagaming when Kashuno was doing the opposite, b) in his immediate next post implicitly asked for mechanics spec, c) completely ignored Truth Quark questioning that vote, d) reversed course on how he mechanically justifies tobbs' claim by now making it about many people claiming, e) hedged on his support for tobbs, and f) immediately tried to justify away another claim, this time by invoking wine, "gaining information", and asking this: "Question: What scenario can you guys think up where knowing this ability hurts us and helps scum?" which is literally asking town to help scum out

In sum: encouraging/supporting claiming, voting with bad reasoning, and hedging on everything but mechanics chat

Hats, because he a) posted about the importance of battle strategy then ignored the topic himself, b) asked KB early on D1 for info scum wants more than town, c) made a really bad, empty, and tautological post on tobbs, Kashuno, and slaan, and d) hedged on voting PMush by giving himself an out on both sides

In sum: encouraging mechanics chat without actually engaging at all, posting this, and hedging on PMush

Keane, because he's acting exactly like he did in christmas mafia where he tosses out reads with minimal or no explanation.

I'm additionally feeling iffy about Gamer, who started out awful and seems to alternate between posts I like and posts I hate, TMM, who's been extremely content light despite having over 30 posts in the thread, and PMush, who has some real bad posts, though I can't quite see why scum would jump in and claim to be a priority target for the other thread in their one big intro post

Oh and before I go back to bed: given that Slaan is my strongest scumread, ##vote Slaan.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Mafia edit:

Also AA looks bad but has barely posted, forgot they were even playing because they have like 6 posts

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

King Burgundy posted:

I think you are overthinking things. Feel free to play this straight as a normal mafia game. From that perspective, who are your top scum picks?

First PMush, I would like to apologize for misgendering you in my post. I tend to use Him to describe everyone I interact with online and it's something I need to work on. As far as my 3 scum picks

Gamerofthegame - This one might be personal because they called me out. After reviewing their post history everything up to them calling me out is light hearted and fun. Mostly joke phase stuff that I would expect to see, but then votes Tobbs with a really weak case.

Hal Incandenza - Usually I I think Lurkers tend to be town because (and I've never been scum so I wouldn't know) I feel like scum players will hold the other scum players feet to the fire to get them to post more. HOWEVER Hal has fewer posts than I do, no call out from GOTG which is interesting.

The thing that makes me feel that my read is off is that historically I have been terrible at reading players. Pretty much anyone thats played with me knows that I am not a tactical mastermind.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Quick before work post:

Gamer- nothing in particular, but his questions and replies just seem off

Max- hasn't talked much, but what he had rang alarm bells early on

Quid- sometimes I think town sometimes scum. Very hard to pin down

I think mmt and kashuno are very likely town at this point

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
okay i had a good weekend and now i'm here and catching up. i'll try and break posts up so they're not one big ugly megapost and then i'll check in afterwards too.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know we've all got a lot of D1 shitposting to do, but there's just a couple of things I'd like to bring up early:

i don't think this is indicative of alignment but it was well timed advice

GeneX posted:

A bunch of the questions give too much info to the other side if collected and used for targeting purposes [...]

this was a good post and I give it much more weight than the changing-answers-to-questions thing that came up shortly afterwards

also the spreadsheets felt solid to me

effort elsewhere in the thread (so far, to my reading) is fine, although i disagree with some of his stuff (as of page 4) it feels like it's coming from a genuine place

tentative early town read

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to hang back a bit at first so I don't overwhelm the thread with my usual posting.

But I'm down with theft. And I'm fine with some of the information being asked for as a starting point, with some editing. I'll need that at a minimum to make good choices.

1) B - I feel I would be useful.
2) Also B.
3) I'm flexible here.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I don't like Quid's early play and votes. By page 5 or so it felt better, but early - especially jumping on AA when there were still people like, you know, me around felt pretty weirdly opportunistic.

gotg's dayvig post was weird and kinda came out of nowhere, not sure if it was "pretending badly to read the thread" or "reading the wrong thread" and either way it feels bad

subsequent posts weren't great either but willing to let this sit for now because as I recall I had him read wrong most of the last soldiers game too

I agree with Kash's points on p5 re: scum preferring a specific rank speculation.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

By the same logic, we also probably want to stay away from thinking players are more townie for wanting to be in the front row.

I don't like these posts, it feels like extending an attempt to extend an argument that had started to wind down

not edit: i paged down slightly and yeah i basically agree with what keane said. actually, at this point, i feel quite good about keane

i also paged down further and tobbs "tank claim"... yeah, i don't like it. kash was dead on with his response and tobbs accusation of rolefishing was ?????. some good explanations as to why the tank claim was bad so i'll leave that one alone further, but what gets me is the reflexive "i got called out and so will immediately throw shade on the person doing so" thing that tobbs did. it feels wayyyyy too defensive and that ultimately tilts the balance (so far, anyway) to "would vote" for me.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Tobbs is probably town. All I'm seeing is a ton of people meta-gaming based on previous games, even though Podima has explicitly said he has changed things up so meta-gaming the thread won't work. Meta-gamers are probably the scum, tbh. They get wrong information put into the thread, while seeming helpful but taking out guys that are actually trying to work out the rules of this thread

##vote Kashuno

this is real bad and I think tq made a good early case on slaan also

reading this exchange between tq and slaan really makes me want to ##vote slaan, actually, i'll see if something else comes up but this feels like the right place rn

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sorry I haven't posted much, week 52 is the busiest week of the year for my job. There is a 110 posts for me to read more in depth. Also just going off of what I've skimmed this callout is really scummy.

see this is all very strange to me because i'm not sure how he was able to see this and also not see the previous posts. this post definitely makes me feel uncomfortable

reading the thing between 50# and kash just feels like a slapfight though i have much less of an opinion on 50's alignment than I do on kash's

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
so i just caught up to pmush's claim and what gets me here is that she was reading the thread enough to follow the case against Kash that MMT was putting together, so clearly had been paying attention to the last few pages, but missed KB saying "don't share role info"? feels inconsistent

Kashuno posted:

Quid is scum

i disagree with this at this point in the thread and i can see further down on the page that part of that was him tilting which is how i was reading it at the time.

Truth Quark posted:

I dunno what I think about MMT as a result of it. She's using a pretty pedantic point in my opinion to push this case but I don't know if its a scum push or just town latching onto whatever they can D1.

since it was brought up, i will comment and say that I think it was a fair callout to make and her pushing on the point felt genuine after kash didn't address it directly

almost caught up! current reads are slaan, pmush, tobbs, sal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Gamerofthegame posted:

my dude

how is the reveal of "I am a ball of health with no bite" not all they need to ever know

Gamerofthegame posted:

Because sharing information is not a town thing to do? Especially without pressure?

Here Gamer directly asks me to share more information about my role/capabilities. His case on me is that sharing info like I've already done is bad, but his pressing me and constantly bringing it up is completely hypocritical.

Being "a ball of health with no bite" may or may not be all they need to know. I literally cannot answer your question without providing more information than I want to.

##vote Gamer

My other scum picks are Quid and PMush. Their posting, in the absence of a valid excuse, is very scummy.

PMush's excuse is that she's phone posting so has trouble reading the thread. Other players and myself take issue with that because we have no trouble reading the thread on our phones. Posting is a bit trickier, especially when you're trying to juggle quotes and cut out extraneous material, but only having a phone is simply not an excuse for not reading the thread, especially when you are taking the time to post in it.

Quid's excuse is that he has more important personal matters to attend to, which I believe is true. However, and I've said this before, the excuse falls a bit flat when you are easily one of the top posters in the thread. The one thing going for him is that he is very engaged and sharing opinions (even if they seem to be scattered/changing). After sleeping on it I'm comfortable with him as a third choice behind Gamer and PMush, rather than at the top of the list.

WRT FL's jab, he is suspicious of me for throwing mad shade at Kash for calling me out. While I may have called Kash "possibly scummy" out of frustration, I've explained multiple times that I felt he was misinterpreting and misrepresenting my posts, and that the only way to clarify the issue would be to provide more information. While it felt like rolefishing to me in that the only way to resolve it is to give more info, it's not nearly as bad as Gamer coming out and directly asking for more information. That's part of why I've not voted Kash this game, despite him cropping up as vote leader a couple times. If I were scum and he was town, would I refrain from voting him? Multiple people floated up to say they didn't think what I did was scummy, even if they did believe it was stupid. That would have been an easy bandwagon to leap upon. By the same logic, Kash unvoted me when I was the vote leader. If he were scum, why back away from voting me when there was quite a bit of momentum? The third possibility, that we're scum together, requires everything to be a grand fabrication between the thread's two top posters. While that might make for a good campfire story, it's not what's happening here.

• Locked thread