Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
:canada:

Don’t worry canucks, we’ll show up in the game as DLC now that the Aussies are in, right?... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JVNO posted:

:canada:

Don’t worry canucks, we’ll show up in the game as DLC now that the Aussies are in, right?... right?

Civ takes place in an alternate history where the Cree rule Canada and reverse-colonialize America and Europe, sorry.

(I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually, in all honesty. Who do you think might lead them if they show up?)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Roland Jones posted:

Industrial Zone buildings and adjacency bonuses are just flat production that affects everything, yes. This is opposed to the bonuses they get from city-states, which are specifically to buildings, districts, and wonders, while the ones that boost Encampments are to units.

Huh. I'm not sure why I assumed otherwise, but that does make sense.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

Unrelated, there have been some leaks, and among other things they suggest that the final three civs in Rise and Fall will be the Mapuche, Scotland (led by William Wallace), and the Zulu. Another European civ, but one they don't do often, and the other two are welcome additions.

Cree, Georgia, Scotland, Mapuche? Save some new civs for VII, Firaxis.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh. I'm not sure why I assumed otherwise, but that does make sense.

Given the aforementioned city-state bonus, I can see mixing them up being easy to do.

But yeah, Industrial Zone adjacency bonuses are great, because they're often really easy to get. Which also makes the +100% adjacency bonus card for them actually occasionally really useful (particularly since they don't have a building boost card like Rationalism or Simultaneum that'd be better); you can easily get another 2-4 or more Production in every city with one, which isn't a bad bonus. Even better when you get Class Struggle and the card doubles Campus adjacency bonuses too, even if those are generally lower.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2018

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mapuche, Scotland and Zulu as the final three might actually get me to hold off on the expansion. Would suggest they're going to continue with dlc civs as well I guess.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Mapuche, Scotland and Zulu as the final three might actually get me to hold off on the expansion. Would suggest they're going to continue with dlc civs as well I guess.

...Why?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scotland is the part of the UK that isn't currently trying to hang itself, so I'm in if for no other reason than to potentially annoy the English.

Also it gave the world Harry Potter.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So hum, I mean, guys... WHERE ARE MY MOTHERFUCKING INCAS.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Mapuche before Inca, I feel ya man.

:cryingalmirantegrau:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I guess they are saving Incas to be the face in the SECOND expansion, makes sense, makes sense.

:negative:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

Scotland is the part of the UK that isn't currently trying to hang itself, so I'm in if for no other reason than to potentially annoy the English.

Also it gave the world Harry Potter.

The English deserve to be annoyed. It'll probably do so in-game as well; those two are going to be close in TSL Earth maps, and Wallace sounds like he'll be better militarily earlier than Vicky.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

They're saving civs I'm interested in and including ones that I'm not. Zulus go even further into insulting given Africa's pathetic representation so far.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I guess I mean, which civs are the obvious DLC-bait, given this information? The Zulu and Celts would be near the top of my list of civs that I could see being saved for DLC. I guess Ottomans, Byzantium, Canada?

No argument on the Zulu front.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I suppose there could be a lot of alternate leaders like Napoleon that could be DLC-bait.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

V didn't have any DLC Civs after the first expansion, did it? I wonder if VI will, and if they will require the expansion.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I guess I mean, which civs are the obvious DLC-bait, given this information? The Zulu and Celts would be near the top of my list of civs that I could see being saved for DLC. I guess Ottomans, Byzantium, Canada?

No argument on the Zulu front.

The only rationale that I can see for including Mapuche over Inca is because you're saving Inca for dlc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
V didn't have much DLC at all once they went into expansion mode (Scrambled Continents and Nations map packs post-Brave New World was it), but I couldn't say whether that will play out the same in this game cycle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm actually of the impression that the Inca just won't be a civ in VI at all.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mods?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I mean, yes, that is one way of getting them in, I suppose.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm expecting DLC, and maybe two more expansion after Rise & Fall. I think that's how Civ VI is going to keep up with 2K's constant player engagement policy. This expansion came out pretty quickly, especially compared to V, which I believe did not get an expansion until two years after launch.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Gotta make room for colonies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I highly doubt they're going to stop the DLC now. It seems like a good way of keeping the money coming between expansions.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Proposition Joe posted:

I suppose there could be a lot of alternate leaders like Napoleon that could be DLC-bait.

I hope they do this, but I've wondered how they will. Making extra leaders for vanilla civs is fine, but what happens if they make a leader for a dlc or expansion civ? Do any currently existing games make DLCs for DLCs?

I really do require Napoleon in this game though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Human Crouton posted:

I hope they do this, but I've wondered how they will. Making extra leaders for vanilla civs is fine, but what happens if they make a leader for a dlc or expansion civ? Do any currently existing games make DLCs for DLCs?

I really do require Napoleon in this game though.

I've been wondering here too; Persia seems like an obvious case of where you could completely change a civ by swapping the leader, as I've said before, and while perhaps not as legendary a figure as Cyrus Darius was an excellent ruler there too, but with Persia being a DLC civ (and one where its partner civ obviously doesn't want or need a new leader, with Alexander's ability being something of an extension of the civ one) I don't know how likely them getting Darius (or Xerxes or someone, but really it should be Darius) is.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Zulu are a classic civ inclusion, I don't see them not being included at some point. There's plenty of opportunity in DLC or mods for your favorite civ.

I think the new alliance system should help with the AI suddenly hating you, hopefully.

The tourism stuff in the base game irks me most because the relics are these weird photorealistic pictures instead of being stylized like everything else in the game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, yes, that is one way of getting them in, I suppose.

Indeed, there's already dozens of modded Civs/leaders for Civ VI. I personally don't play with modded Civs because I don't care all that much what Civs are in the game (thus far I mean, I'm fine with all the choices Firaxis has made), but if someone was to care, I'm certain a modder will add any staples that Firaxis does not.

I don't know what modding was like in the early days of V but it seems to be doing well in VI. And they still haven't even given modders access to the .dll for truly crazy things yet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Roland Jones posted:

Industrial Zone buildings and adjacency bonuses are just flat production that affects everything, yes. This is opposed to the bonuses they get from city-states, which are specifically to buildings, districts, and wonders, while the ones that boost Encampments are to units.

Unrelated, there have been some leaks, and among other things they suggest that the final three civs in Rise and Fall will be the Mapuche, Scotland (led by William Wallace), and the Zulu. Another European civ, but one they don't do often, and the other two are welcome additions.

does each civ have unique designs for buildings?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

does each civ have unique designs for buildings?

Not quite. Everyone has the same buildings you build, excluding, of course, unique buildings and such. Rise and Fall is adding monuments that vary based on your civ; while not everyone gets a unique one, not everyone will have the same ones either. Only some people will keep the old obelisk, while other people are getting the new ones pictured in the link.

Likewise, there are a bunch of different palaces and city buildings (the ones that make up your city center, expand as your cities grow, and appear around districts and whatnot; I'm not really sure what to call them, but I'm referring to the entirely graphical buildings, not the things you actually, well, build), though like the new monuments they aren't entirely unique; Indonesia gets their own fancy ones, while Arabia, Persia, and some other people share theirs, for example.

That link might not be everything that's being added, either; the Cree palace isn't in there, for example. I'm hoping that eventually everyone gets at least their own unique palaces and maybe monuments; some people are stuck with ones that don't quite fit them, like, well, Persia again.

Edit: Copying this from elsewhere, what the initials in that link refer to:

RSUM = Sumeria
RSS = Sub-Saharan (Kongo, Zulu)
RC = China
RMUG = Mughal (India, Scythia, Arabia)
RSA = South American (Aztec, Brazil, Mapuche)
RE = European (France, Germany, Netherlands)
RBAL = Baltic (Sweden, Norway)
RENG = England
RNA = North African (Egypt, Nubia)
RSCT = Scotland
RJ = Japan
RIND = Indonesia
RMED = Mediterannean (Rome, Greece)
RAM = America
RSPN = Spain
ANC = Ancient (all civs in ancient era)
AW = Western (European civs, etc.)
ASIAN = Asian (Asian civs, etc.)
RMUG = Mughal (Indian, Middle-Eastern civs, etc.)
ROME = Rome
RSA = South American (South American, native civs, etc.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 17, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So, cities that have declared their independence will just become a single city state? They won't be able to build cities and become an empire themselves, it seems.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Hogama posted:

V didn't have much DLC at all once they went into expansion mode (Scrambled Continents and Nations map packs post-Brave New World was it), but I couldn't say whether that will play out the same in this game cycle.

This is probably difficult to check but I'm 99% sure that before the first Civ 5 expansion someone from either Firaxis or 2K came out and said that the single-civ DLCs didn't sell well and that's why they were returning to the expansion model (as though the DLCs were an experimental alternative). So I was kind of surprised they went back to Civ DLCs for 6, but I'm glad they did because I'm a sucker for that type of content.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalko posted:

This is probably difficult to check but I'm 99% sure that before the first Civ 5 expansion someone from either Firaxis or 2K came out and said that the single-civ DLCs didn't sell well and that's why they were returning to the expansion model (as though the DLCs were an experimental alternative). So I was kind of surprised they went back to Civ DLCs for 6, but I'm glad they did because I'm a sucker for that type of content.

I'm surprised they went to the same cost for VI's DLC, at $5 for a single civ and scenario. Heck, the double packs are more expensive; in VI they're $9, while the Spain and Inca pack for V is only $7.50. I imagine if they were a bit cheaper, they'd sell a lot better. $3 or $4 for one civ would have gone over a lot better, I imagine. Though it'd have also forced them to plan on including more DLC in the Digital Deluxe edition from the start I suppose.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

In case someone hasn't posted already you can pick up Civ VI + the Australia and Norway DLC's for $12 this month on humble bundle. Pretty good deal. Setting you up nicely for the upcoming expansion.

Anyone have thoughts on them selling the unit content packs like EU IV and Paradox? Give some variety to the generic unit look that everyone has.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

turboraton posted:

Guys one noob question, is the 12$ humble bundle Civ6 compatible with Steam?

Also reminder that Civ6 is cool and good, like all other Civs.

Of course. Everything is.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

so I'm still not hearing great things about this game but it's got to be worth $12 at least, right? (it's this month's humble monthly)

Yeah it's about a $12 game.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
In V someone made a very good unique unit graphics pack for every civ. Modders can come through, though the more civs there are the harder it becomes of course

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It looks like there are going to be a lot of new modifiers for modders to play with in Rise and Fall. In today's stream they played with Emergencies and I noticed that Simultaneum changed, which may herald a similar change to Rationalism. It's now holy site building faith yield increases by +50% if the city has 10 or more population and +50% if the holy site has at least a +3 adjacency bonus.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Changes like that would hit Simultaneum and Rationalism pretty hard, yeah. Which is good because they're basically the best economic policies if you're going for a religious win and, well, anything, respectively. Though, I wonder if the +100% adjacency bonus cards boosting that would activate those effects. I'm thinking yes, but even if it does, that's two cards instead of one spent on that, so it's still a good nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I am going to assume :finland: still isn't in