Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

I don't think so. It was almost shot for shot the Exile 3 opening though. :swoon:

Old Avernum 3's too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i always get disappointed when i remember spiderweb software didn't make Realmz

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So, what's the word on balance? Is it Avernum 2's "non-casters can suck it" still?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i always get disappointed when i remember spiderweb software didn't make Realmz

...I've been trying to remember this game for actual literal years, holy poo poo.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ssschah/recommended/691830/

holy jeez

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorCirno posted:

...I've been trying to remember this game for actual literal years, holy poo poo.

i wish someone would release the latest mac version for pc and also remake it a zillion times it was so cool

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

I glanced down at the comments and this got even more hilarious as apparently a ton of this weird petty poo poo isn't even true.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
rofl at "there are no horses."

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I didn't even remember there were supposed to be horses. This is after playing Exile III and the (previous) Avernum III remake.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i wish someone would release the latest mac version for pc and also remake it a zillion times it was so cool

I want to replay it just to see how much my memory matches the reality. I mostly remember that the "difficulty" slider only dialed up certain numbers (like number of enemies in a fight, how much health they have, and -- this is key -- how much experience they're worth) without otherwise really making the fights all that much harder. Win a few max-difficulty fights and your character would be so high-level that they were practically invulnerable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey, I just saw that and was about to share. Does that make any more sense to other people who have been following the series for 20 years now?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Not really. A lot of it's not even accurate.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

So, what's the word on balance? Is it Avernum 2's "non-casters can suck it" still?

All 3 of the games are easy to curbstomp with casters but by no means have ever been "suck it" for daring to go melee or archery. In fact that's been the case since the original Exile games. You can complete the game with any party composition you want, and you can put it on cruise control by running with casters.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Vogel has committed the sin of swapping the healing potion from the green potion sprite to the orange one and for this... he must die...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Never played any of these games and slightly confused about the remakes of remakes, where do I start in TYOOL2018?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Never played any of these games and slightly confused about the remakes of remakes, where do I start in TYOOL2018?

If you want janky oldschool, find the original Exile games. They're pretty crude by modern standards but there are people that like that.

Otherwise, start with Avernum: Escape from the Pit (the re-remake of Exile: Escape from the Pit). IMO there's little reason to play the first set of remakes. If you really liked the reremake trilogy, you can go checkout Avernums 4-6, which are a separate trilogy.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Not really. A lot of it's not even accurate.

And yet most of the comments on said review are bitching at Jeff for pointing that fact out. Because god forbid a developer not just sit there and take it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, I just saw that and was about to share. Does that make any more sense to other people who have been following the series for 20 years now?

As someone that's been playing these games as a kid before Exile III even came out and Exile I and II hadn't even been Realmz-ified yet so they looked like this:

most these complaints seem to be with the whole series of re-remakes and not just the 3rd one

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Just started playing 3 for the first time and what constitutes a "day"? Is it actions/turns taken or triggers or what?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where do we think the reviewer posted a link to brigade with comments? Someplace where women are referred to as "females" for sure but I can't tell where.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Berke Negri posted:

Exile I and II hadn't even been Realmz-ified yet
?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Deki posted:

And yet most of the comments on said review are bitching at Jeff for pointing that fact out. Because god forbid a developer not just sit there and take it.

Unfortunately, you can't really win by engaging with comments and reviews as a creator. I didn't even think Vogel was really putting that guy on blast.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Realmz and the Exile series shared a set of assets for awhile; mostly stuff like item icons if I recall correctly. But the basic ogre monster sprite was also used in Realmz, for example. I don't know if one company paid the other company to access their assets, or if both companies bought them from elsewhere.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

I glanced down at the comments and this got even more hilarious as apparently a ton of this weird petty poo poo isn't even true.

I'm amazed how many peopled marked that as 'positive' since it mostly seems to just be bitching about the fact that it's not EXACTLY the same as Avernum 3/Exile 3.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gorelab posted:

I'm amazed how many peopled marked that as 'positive' since it mostly seems to just be bitching about the fact that it's not EXACTLY the same as Avernum 3/Exile 3.

I read don't read that review as "bitching" so much as stating "I didn't like it and here's why."

It's not some vehement hit piece, it's just inaccurate in places.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Realmz and the Exile series shared a set of assets for awhile; mostly stuff like item icons if I recall correctly. But the basic ogre monster sprite was also used in Realmz, for example. I don't know if one company paid the other company to access their assets, or if both companies bought them from elsewhere.
If I remember correctly they pooled their money to get the assets made.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

And Tyler Too! posted:

All 3 of the games are easy to curbstomp with casters but by no means have ever been "suck it" for daring to go melee or archery. In fact that's been the case since the original Exile games. You can complete the game with any party composition you want, and you can put it on cruise control by running with casters.

Thing is, non-casters do literally nothing better then casters in Avernum 2. In Avernum 1, though it took some kinda specific itemization, you could have a (single) non-caster who could at least put out single target damage better then spellcasters could. This wasn't amazing - there are a number of problems non-casters face, and "I can do real good single target damage" isn't super valuable in a game where AoE damage is far more important - but it was still a "thing."

In Avernum 2, they didn't even have that.

This isn't "spellcasters are better because they have more options," this is "spellcasters render non-spellcasters literally obsolete."

Gorelab posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

I read don't read that review as "bitching" so much as stating "I didn't like it and here's why."

It's not some vehement hit piece, it's just inaccurate in places.

The dude hasn't played the game. Large swathes of his complaints are straight up falsehoods. Like, we're laughing at the loving horses thing...but there are horses in the remake. Like, you can literally look at his profile to see that he's only played about 3 hours of the game - and going off comments, he didn't even have that much when he first wrote this.

This is 100% a bizarre hit piece.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wait are there horses? I think I missed them and didn't even realize that bit was false.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Thing is, non-casters do literally nothing better then casters in Avernum 2. In Avernum 1, though it took some kinda specific itemization, you could have a (single) non-caster who could at least put out single target damage better then spellcasters could. This wasn't amazing - there are a number of problems non-casters face, and "I can do real good single target damage" isn't super valuable in a game where AoE damage is far more important - but it was still a "thing."

In Avernum 2, they didn't even have that.

This isn't "spellcasters are better because they have more options," this is "spellcasters render non-spellcasters literally obsolete."

Yes casters are broken. That doesn't mean melee/archers are "obsolete," but they're certainly less appealing than casters if you're just trying to wipe out enemy groups effortlessly. I like having one melee meatshield and a high gymnastics archer to finish off near-dead enemies. I'd like to make the game last a bit longer and if that means I'm not going to progress as quickly because I didn't choose to make a spergy minmaxing all caster group then so be it. I like hitting stuff with swords and putting arrows in stuff. It's less efficient but the funhaver in me likes that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The one I noticed was that you couldn't enter Lorelei(sp?) If you just ran there in Exile 3 either, but apparently that's a bad change, that writer is an idiot

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

GodFish posted:

The one I noticed was that you couldn't enter Lorelei(sp?) If you just ran there in Exile 3 either, but apparently that's a bad change, that writer is an idiot

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's been true in every version. I think you could skip to the Isle of Bengali but going too far north everyone would just hate your rear end earlier on.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Should I finish Crystal Souls before going for Avernum 3? For reference I just came up out of the underground and immediately went 'wugh help' as I got paralyzed by choice, and then Monster Hunter fell on me. I think I got the major plot beats down though and I did just get given a 20% off voucher out the blue

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s worth beating them in order.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

GodFish posted:

In Exile 3 you have to beat at least one of the main plot dungeons before they'll let you in. Gotta have that rep for being a helper.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Should I finish Crystal Souls before going for Avernum 3? For reference I just came up out of the underground and immediately went 'wugh help' as I got paralyzed by choice, and then Monster Hunter fell on me. I think I got the major plot beats down though and I did just get given a 20% off voucher out the blue

Crystal Souls is a pretty good game, and it provides some important background information for Avernum 3, but Vogel's generally pretty good about keeping his players informed, so it's not like you won't have a clue what's going on if you skip it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Important question: is capture soul/simulacrum in the game?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bold Robot posted:

Important question: is capture soul/simulacrum in the game?

yes, you can get it pretty early too

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

The intro sequence, should you choose not to skip it, will quickly bring you up to date on big picture events from Avernum 1 & 2.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Parts Kit posted:

In Exile 3 you have to beat at least one of the main plot dungeons before they'll let you in. Gotta have that rep for being a helper.

Yeah, you have to do either 1 or 2 before you can start on 3 or 4, and you have to do either 3 or 4 before you can get to the end game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Why is Avernum 2 mysteriously $20 the day the 3rd game comes out. 1 is $5!

I was going to grab both of them together, and now I'm going to end up grabbing 3 and sitting on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
All of GOG's Spiderweb games are on sale until the 5th.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180131_spiderweb