Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This thread owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What would your budget have been for a CRV?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ken is pretty hard on equipment.

Ask him about the toilet that exploded.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Like a grand or less, AWD required :v: I don't believe in spending a lot of money on depreciating assets that I'm just going to pile miles and salt onto. The only ones available were either too beat, wrong options, or too expensive when I was looking a week or two ago. I see one with a maybe blown trans for 1200 5 miles away and one that I would jump on in a second in Providence now, but I'm pretty sure that one is a scummy dealer listing it for their down payment amount not the actual price. Oh well, too late.

(If anyone sees cheapish m108, m60, m62, m246, m543a2, m553, m816, m819, or m936 wrecker trucks in the Washington area in a year or two, please start filling my head with bad ideas. I've wanted one forever and I'm going to need to stand a pole barn and a house up somehow.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you're basically getting you current house ready for sale then. Do you at least expect to make a decent profit from all your work?

I gotta admit that I'd have a hard time selling my house after all the work I've put into over the past 13 years. It's worth a hell of a lot more now though then when we bought it :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We'll see. I'm still building it to the same standard because I'm a perfectionist, but yeah basically. I might rent it to a good friend (like, we've lived together before and lent each other thousands of dollars on a "pay me back when you have a job again" basis) for a while before selling it, but we're definitely heading out there. My wife didn't expect it to be so easy to convince me, then we went there for 10 days and I was sold :v:

There's an M108 deuce wrecker for sale in Seattle right now and it's taking all my willpower to not try and buy it even though it's listed for WELL over my "buy things on a whim" price limit. drat it. I've wanted a military wrecker since approximately 5 seconds after I learned of their existence.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A military wrecker is at the top of my list if I ever have the space for one. So if you can get one and then figure out every possible way one could break and how to fix it that would be awesome.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 3, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man, i would have given you mine, but you just couldn't wait a few days to wreck yours, could you?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

How about you buy a wrecker on the East Coast and help someone else who needs to move a large truck west :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

That's...not the fingat toilet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Man, i would have given you mine, but you just couldn't wait a few days to wreck yours, could you?

Yours is less than 15 years old right? That's a level of pain I'm not ready to sign up for, I like being able to ignore P0420 and the handful of P044x/045x codes every old rusty Subaru has :v:

(Thanks though)

Fortunately the wheel bearings haven't exploded quite yet and abs light won't fail my inspection. As long as I can make the parking brake work I'm golden... Exhaust is higher priority.

The starter Ace gave me is literally exactly the one the SAE 2 6bt flywheel housing uses. Talk about luck, now I have a brand new spare for one of the components I'd be really afraid of losing on a cross country drive.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

How about you buy a wrecker on the East Coast and help someone else who needs to move a large truck west :v:

Hey, if you want to make a business out of it, I hear Sims is going to need that service in a few months too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Lol umm :wtf:

My evening at the hangar was somewhat shorter than expected because I spent several hours of it on the side of the road. Friend had to bring me a spare distributor, mine seized solid very very suddenly. Anyone who says you can't weld steel to bronze is clearly wrong...

I could have AAAed it home but it would have taken about the same amount of time most likely. Now time to buy a distributor so I can give this borrowed one back.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So the whole distributer was spinning?

How are your spark plug wires?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:can:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

So the whole distributer was spinning?

How are your spark plug wires?

Well, it wasn't, and then suddenly it was.

They're *high tension* wires, thanks much.

(I haven't found out if the wires are ok. Another set was 5 bucks on rockauto and I needed a distributor because this one was borrowed, so I may not find out, either.)

Edit: oh yeah I got a 4wd AW4 for this thing, too. So it looks like it's going to get a 4wd swap sometime. Decided to stay auto, it's nice when towing and they're good solid slushboxes so I'm not afraid of them exploding. I've also never had one break a bellhousing on me for no GODDAMNED reason.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 13, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I don't understand this distinction.

e: gently caress

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 13, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

:lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Well, they are now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

kastein posted:

The subtle difference between "can carry" and "can be subjected to"

Also voltage and physical force

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I guess that pun was more for the 50+ year old British demographic... :ninja:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I.....didn't know a distributor could fail like that :stare:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

kastein posted:

I guess that pun was more for the 50+ year old British demographic... :ninja:

I work in Xray and for some reason we all still refer to the cables carying kV levels of electricity as high tension. So 50 year old brits. And xray repair guys.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jonny Nox posted:

I work in Xray and for some reason we all still refer to the cables carying kV levels of electricity as high tension. So 50 year old brits. And xray repair guys.

I went to radiography school (non destructive testing) in 2011. I learned of them as high tension also.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ExplodingSims posted:

I.....didn't know a distributor could fail like that :stare:

Working as intended?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It only took a few evenings but I managed to get the rear knuckles for the Forester stripped down and gone through.

Look sir, droids.

These came from opposite sides of the same car. The funny part is all the big holes are useless... And even worse, when they realized and got rid of them, they forgot to add the fifth ABS tone ring bolt hole. :effort:

Sloppy rear end exhaust welds. I'd normally object strongly to welding two bolted flanges together but the flanges were so far gone they needed to be cut off and replaced, there was a huge gap rusted out where the gasket should have sealed. So now I get another 50k miles out of it and THEN cut them out. Sounds good to me.

New bearing and outer seal installed.

New bearing and inner seals installed. Yes two of them. loving Subaru (tm)

Since the backing plate has to be installed before the hub flange, and the ABS sensor and ebrake cable are permanently rust loctite​d into the backing plates on the car, I'm not installing the hub flanges with the press. So we made this press tool that slips neatly through the rear seal without munging it up and allows a gigantic 7/8 grade 8 bolt and washers to be used through the axle hole to press the hub flange into the bearing on the car. It's 1.96 (50mm) OD with a nice chamfer where it matters, and at least 0.900 ID.

Today I went to the hangar again to screw around with car stuff and get irretrievably greasy. Mission was successful.

Picked the 24v up to pull the oil pan and check if the bottom end was wrecked. It looks fine. Might have low compression but the bottom end looks great.

Allegedly this pan is rusted through. I'm not seeing it.

lovely chinesium LED headlights make great work lamps.

I got the chooched part of my Eaton elocker that they won't sell me a replacement part for chucked up in the lathe and aimed for the point of no return, taking metal off of the outside of the lumpy, swollen carrier bearing journal where it got blasted by a spiral fractured axleshaft. Took it down from 10 to 20 thou oversize and lumpy to 2.253 (pressfit for a 2.25in bearing cone) just like the undamaged one. My surface finish isn't ideal, but the dims are fine and it's concentric with the rest of the part again so gently caress it.

Flipped it around and cleaned up the thrust bearing surface for the side gear as well. It had several ugly bumps in it where the fractured axleshaft had peened the bearing journal metal enough to push it up and make it hit the gear. So I faced it all back down to where it was before (based on the undamaged area) and called it a day.

Tomorrow someone comes to buy the wrecked Forester for use in the spring NY gambler 500. It's going to be fun, I'm taking my white MJ for its last hurrah at that event, ACEofsnett and his dad are running some ridiculous 60s Chevy passenger car with mud tires on it, and this random dude is running my old wrecked daily driver... Can't wait to see how he's going to get 235/75r15 mud tires onto it, I'm giving him the old badly worn MTs from my red XJ for free because it means I don't have to pay to recycle them :haw:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've used the subaru hub tamer tool before and that's basically what it is- a big threaded rod and blocks that fit on the bearing. You pull the hub out with a slide hammer and it actually came out pretty easily for me.

It was nice having a friend at the dealer who let me borrow some of the special service tools. Like pressing 1st gear off a 6-speed main shaft is pretty much impossible without the right tool because it is right next to reverse and they are almost the same size. Thankfully that's not a very common procedure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wrecked Forester just left. That's literally the first time I've ever sold a car and watched it drive away. Good riddance, 225 dollars was more than it was worth.

So basically I just drove that car for 18 months and all it cost me was 275 (I paid 500 originally), a starter motor, a set of front steering knuckles and bearings (which actually came from my parted out red 2000 Forester and already had like 40k miles on them when installed), a set of front brakes, a fuel fill tube that didn't solve the problem, and a strut. The rest of the parts were either paid for by someone else after a wreck or I took them back off before selling it.

Not bad.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

That's literally the first time I've ever sold a car and watched it drive away

I just realized... I've only had one sold car move under its own power. And it was the lovely Altima that I traded in to Carmax, so I guess I didn't really watch it drive away... handed them the keys and it just disappeared while signing the paperwork for the Saturd, followed by an appraisal for the Altima (which went toward paying for the Ion).

I've owned 9 cars (less than you, but still more than the average person my age).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Goodbye shitbox!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvCiqrQFoXI

Whoops I bought another Cummins 24 valve with the money from the Forester plus a little. I needed the block side ECU and some other poo poo off it and can part the rest out and make money, I only paid 350 for the whole pile. Just the cylinder head sells for 300 on eBay.

Need to put new springs in this thing, it sags badly under any load now. I guess I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

Other Comanche still makes a great engine hoist.

Saturday I finally installed the new driver rear knuckle and bearing in the Forester. The old one was hosed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-3O4bCICZI
No idea how that didn't explode on me but I got every last mile out of it, I think. And then some.

The old outer bearing was trashed. That makes sense since it was grinding horribly anytime I even thought about turning left, but the grinding seemed to be coming from the left so I didn't think it was weight transfer to the right rear causing it.

This one wants to be the death star

Should be interesting to see how it sounds at highway speed tomorrow. I could only get it up to 50 or so on my test drive but it's like a whole new car, drat near silent. I thought at least both rear bearings were wrecked from the sound of it, if not all 4, but I think it was just the outer half of the left rear at this point.

Edit: oh yeah, lucked out at the junkyard and scored a factory 6 CD+tape deck for the new shitbox Forester. Already loaded half of my :krad: 90s metal collection into it, aw yeah

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 5, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some bearing engineer in flyover-country Japan is probably feeling very proud tonight and doesn't know why.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some bearing engineer in flyover-country Japan is probably feeling very proud tonight and doesn't know why.

Poppin' the tiniest chub... Good on you Mr. Bearing Man.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well it is now quiet enough that I can hear the right rear howling just a little bit at highway speeds. I'll wait till that one grinds itself 500 miles less into oblivion than this one did, now that I know what the sound of a Subaru rear wheel bearing about to explode is :haw:

I think it's nearly time to buy axleshafts for the 60/70 hybrid and spend a while attaching the new tube extensions and knuckles to the housing. Once that axle is out of my way I can bolt the lift to the ground and start actually using it. Last weekend I managed to get conduit run to most of the hangar and I bought enough wire to finish hooking everything up, too. :woop:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Lift and lathe electrical done!

The outlets are on separate phases, since I had 240 right there...

Conduit goes directly over the lift posts. It reduces headroom a bit but I wasn't running it another 20 feet to avoid that.

Foil tape is to keep metal chips from the lathe out of the electrical boxes.

Picked up some more test subjects for one of my on and off projects, a 97-01 custom XJ TCU.

The axleshafts for the Dana 70 build showed up. I'm hoping to ditch work one day this week and hopefully get started on the retubing and knuckle install now that I have the lathe ready to rock and roll. I'll need to bring my bigger MIG welder to the hangar for this, but the snow is almost gone so it shouldn't be an issue getting that into the truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Haven't done poo poo with the axle because I haven't made it to HF to pick up a portaband yet. They keep closing just as I show up.

I mounted the new tires for the Gambler 500 run I'm going on next month. Owning tire mounting and balancing equipment is awesome, I don't have to schedule my life around when the tire shop is open anymore.

One last ride of glory for the old white MJ. I'll miss that truck after I part it out :sigh:

It'll stay in one piece (well... As much as it is now) for another few months as a 4x4 engine hoist and yard truck but it's getting parted out after that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God drat, that's equipment I wish I had. Instead I drop off tires and go back 6 hours later, praying they're installed, and paying them drat near the value of the tire to install them, in the case of the civic.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

iwentdoodie posted:

God drat, that's equipment I wish I had. Instead I drop off tires and go back 6 hours later, praying they're installed, and paying them drat near the value of the tire to install them, in the case of the civic.

Or you show up an they hosed up directional tires, and now you have three right sides.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

chrisgt posted:

Or you show up an they hosed up directional tires, and now you have three right sides.

"You said you were going to balance these as well."
"We did."
"With invisible wheel weights?"
"....give me ten minutes."

Actual exchange from this past Saturday.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

One time I took my race wheels in. They had 949 aluminum stems.

They trashed my loving stems and had the audacity to not only charge me for the generic rubber stems but deny any wrongdoing and reimbursement. I had to demand access to the shop floor and dig through the garbage next to the mounting machine to find one of them before they caved. Consequently, I had raised such a ruckus that they not only comped the entire process, but told me my business, so far as it pertained to bringing in my own wheels and tires for mounting, was no longer welcome. Good riddance, pricks, I wasn't planning to let you chimps monkey-gently caress my poo poo again anyway.

I ended up getting corporate to pay for my new stems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm confused how the weight of valve stems is relevant to anything, but that's bullshit behavior on their part regardless.

Motorcycle sold last night. Glad that thing is out of my way, the buyer knew his poo poo and I'm sure he'll have it rideable in a week or two.

Oh, and I got the portaband I need to work on my axle build and some parts for the lathe too. I think I'm in good shape to work on the axle the week after next.

Edit: RENIX ECU reverse engineering project is underway too. Need more time in my life.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 13, 2018