Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Put Command Mission in the PSX series X compilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, I hadn't played X7 until recently. I had played small portions of it years and years ago, but I didn't remember much about it. I knew it was bad, but I figured the complaints were a bit overblown. Like how people call X6 terrible in every way, there are portions of X6 that are perfectly fine. It's got terrible level design, but you know, it's X6, it's more or less "eh", and a big pile of crappy decisions. Still, however, you can get fun out of it, and it's insane enough that Sigma showing up at the end is hilarious. There's a pay off, it works, even if it doesn't work well. Surely X7 isn't as bad as people say, right?

Good gently caress. That game is a pile of garbage in ways I didn't even know were possible. You move like you're trying to lug around several tons of rocks. Everything you do has a poo poo ton of wind up, IN ADDITION to massive control lag. Load times are horrible, menus are laggy, camera work is terrible, the cyberspace stage exists, boss weapons are useless, knock back into instadeath is rampant in later levels, Reploids can STILL be killed forever, that loving airplane level, BURNBURNBURNBURNBURNTOTHEGROUND, there is somehow a long rear end cutscene after every stage despite there being even less story than usual for this series, the stage where you're supposed to go fast on a hovercycle actually encourages you to go at about two miles per hour to pick up everything on the track, and wall climbing is more or less 90% useless in this loving game because every level is just a super linear path to the end with little vertical variation, which is good because wall climbing's hit detection even in the 2D sections is rear end at best.

Honestly, X7 is bad in ways that defy any loving logic. You know people like to rag on Sonic 2006? That game is rear end, but I would say it's better than X7 because at least Sonic loving moves less than a second after you press forward.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've seen a let's play of it.
It was astounding that they published it. It is poo poo that looks worse than a first time programmers unity horror game.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've seen a let's play of it.
It was astounding that they published it. It is poo poo that looks worse than a first time programmers unity horror game.

You do not understand just how bad X7 is until you've attempted to play it. I beat that game not because I wanted to, but because it hurt me physically, and I wanted it done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There's also the fact that X has to be unlocked in his own game (though to be fair, he is the best character as Axl doesn't become useful until the next game and they really nerfed Zero for some reason).

Hell, your fully charged buster does more damage to bosses than most of the actual weaknesses do. I realize the behind the scenes reason was to make sure players would actually use Axl but there were probably better ways to go about it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 27, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

There's also the fact that X has to be unlocked in his own game (though to be fair, he is the best character as Axl doesn't become useful until the next game and they really nerfed Zero for some reason). I realize the behind the scenes reason was to make sure players would actually use Axl but there were probably better ways to go about it.

Beat me to it. The game is uniquely garbage.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did an all reploids rescued run of X7 a few years back. It's impossible on a semi-blind run of a stage. So many of them die before you even know they exist for varying reasons. I'm not exaggerating. It's just not possible without reloading saves once you finally figure out the 3 that always die off camera every stage. But at least you get X pretty early :confuoot:

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
RushJet1 posted some new music - Mega Man III Remade

http://rushjet1.com/album/mega-man-iii-remade

I haven't listened to it yet but it's probably really good, based off of his past work.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rushjet's music is pretty good and this is no exception, but I kind of have a bit of a problem with it where I find it exhausting to listen to. I'm always glad when it's over.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

It'd be cool as hell to have rushjet's remixes in the Legacy Collection, especially for 3.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We'll just file that under Things That Will Never Happen, Why Do You Daydream About Things Like That?

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

It's right between "MegaMan Corrupted being released not only in a timely manner, but also with a competent Switch port" and "MegaMan Legends 3 was secretly in development this whole time and is coming out this year."

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

At least it's not under the Playable game set during the Elf Wars that work as a proper 'ending' of the X series category.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Magil of Shadow posted:

At least it's not under the Playable game set during the Elf Wars that work as a proper 'ending' of the X series category.

This is filed right along side "Classicvania game set during 1999" as a game I love imagining but am 100% positive I'd hate if they were actually created.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Magil of Shadow posted:

Playable final chapter of the Classic series that reveals where Rock's story ends and X's begins

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inti has Dragon MFD, their long-announced sidescrolling action-RPG, at PAX this weekend, so expect footage soon.

That game has been in the works since 2011 and most of the Zero/ZX are or were working on it and not Gunvolt, so even though it's more of a fantasy thing it might scratch the itch that Gunvolt didn't for a lot of people.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here it be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-oGLmHUqY

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe it's just how the sprite's movement animation looks, but it feels like you're moving as slow as molasses.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If you drop the playback to .25x, he's ice skating everywhere. So the animation is definitely out of sync with how fast the character is moving.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just how the sprite's movement animation looks, but it feels like you're moving as slow as molasses.

For whatever reason the demo is only the tank character. Also I'm not really expecting anything traditionally inti-ish from this, based on the first teaser it looked like A Single-plane Beatemup, for better or worse.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Kinda reminds me of the platforming stages in ActRaiser, but with a little bit more depth.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

puppets freak me out posted:

Kinda reminds me of the platforming stages in ActRaiser, but with a little bit more depth.

So... ActRaiser 2 then?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also I'm going to preemptively state "gently caress you" to the inevitable post making GBS threads on ActRaiser 2 because that's a good game and doesn't get 1% the recognition it deserves :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Also I'm going to preemptively state "gently caress you" to the inevitable post making GBS threads on ActRaiser 2 because that's a good game and doesn't get 1% the recognition it deserves :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

g0lbez posted:

It is good but I really wish the sim stuff was still in.

I miss Quintet. Their games were really something else.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i kinda like how it looks like a GBA game

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

g0lbez posted:

Actraiser 2 was a great game and deserves a bigger following. DMFD looks pretty generic and not good, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like Inti trying to do a Castlevania game to me

Also Actraiser 2 was fukkin poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sakurazuka posted:

Looks like Inti trying to do a Castlevania game to me

Also Actraiser 2 was fukkin poo poo

YOU AND ME, BY THE FLAG POLE, AFTER RECESS

ACTRAISER WAS GOOD, MOTHERFUCKER

DMFD doesn't look very good, but I think it may also just be the character used to showcase it. While I'm glad they're not trying another Gunvolt-esque score attack with what amounts to a mediocre Robot Master weapon -- I hope, anyway -- it looks like they swung back too hard into "hit enemy, watch numbers pop out, repeat :geno:" territory.

I hope it turns out good because I miss good 2D platformers, and the last one to really grab me by the throat and scream "I AM AMAZING" was Shovel Knight. Gunvolt had promise, but the gimmicky gameplay and the fact it punishes good and bad gameplay with Off-Brand Hatsune Miku nasally scream-singing J-Pop at you while the world's most anime plot happened really turned me away from it.

But this is Inti, and it's becoming rapidly apparent that the MMZ-ZX games were flukes in their resume in that they were objectively good, yet flawed games. MM9 and 10 weren't bad either, but they were also supremely forgettable save for the fact they're 8-bit games.

EDIT: And now I gotta play Actraiser 2 again.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Actraiser 1 and 2 both have really bummer endings about the nature of godhood that seem really deep for loving video games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of Quintet's games have pretty depressing endings from what I remember.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If you want that Quintet experience but don’t have time for half a dozen games, Terranigma is a trip and a half. Fortunately, all of the games are translated well, better than most of the PS1 JRPG rush releases.

Illusion of Gaia actually came out in the US, so way more people have nostalgia for that one. Always thought there was something lacking in the translations for Soul Blazer and ActRaiser, but maybe the original scripts were just as thin.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Soul Blazer did come out in America, though?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

John Lee posted:

Soul Blazer did come out in America, though?

Was referring to Terranigma with that and made it about as unclear as possible, sorry!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man I love old character design

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Conformed the X Collections are being split down the middle X1-4 and X5-8

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wow is the second set a really bad value proposition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the Japanese overview trailer for MMX Legacy Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALpIvDlLTc

The sprite games have two optional pixel filter, the polygon games let you play at original res or up-res'd.

They've also added an "X Challenge" mode that consists of 2-on-1 boss fights using bosses and weapons from across various games - the one teased at the end of the trailer is Chill Penguin (X1) / Frost Walrus (X4), for example: http://www.capcom.co.jp/rxac/x-challenge/index.html

Extras include the Sigma OVA from Maverick Hunter PSP, a gallery of previous game trailers, plus a sound test and art gallery (including art from merch and the like); the contents of the gallery pertain only to the games in either version, so MMXLC1 will only include art/music/trailers for MMX1/2/3/4, for example.

MMXLC1 is X1 through X4, MMXLC2 is X5 through X8; Japan's getting physical 1+2 releases on PS4 and Switch, with PS4 being a two-disc pack and Switch being one on the cart + one included as a download code, a la MMLC1+2; XB1 and PC are digital-only. (EDIT: they're also doing separate physical releases for each part for both PS4 and Switch, so the option to get MMXLC2 on a cart is there if you want it.)

Otu July 26 in Japan, rougly 3000yen each or 5500yen together... one would have to think it'll be $20 each over here, I don't know they have the balls to price them higher.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 10, 2018

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Why is Command Mission not on there? It's an X timeline game, and I'm sure more people would be happy to see it than X7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Welp, nobody's buying collection 2 then...