Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Looking for a simple video editor that'll do basic things (trim, resize, add audio, etc) for mp4's recorded by NVidia Experience--they're too big in their raw size. Not sure where to look. Can anyone point me to any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Toast Museum posted:

It sounds like you're asking about the sum() function. Example:

This example sums the entire A column, but you could also specify a more limited range, e.g. =sum(a2:a5)

I can definitely make this work. Thanks!

Morter posted:

Looking for a simple video editor that'll do basic things (trim, resize, add audio, etc) for mp4's recorded by NVidia Experience--they're too big in their raw size. Not sure where to look. Can anyone point me to any?

RIP Windows Movie Maker :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Morter posted:

DaVinci Resolve is a full on video editor, but it's also free these days, and not too difficult to use just trimming and adding audio

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

boop the snoot posted:

I can definitely make this work. Thanks!

No problem! You can get fancier with it, too. For instance, you could make a table listing your different spending categories, assign a category to each expense in the next column over, then use sumif to create sums for each category. For example:

So in each of those rows displaying totals, sumif looks at everything in column B, picks out the cells of the matching type, and adds the corresponding values from column A. The screenshot doesn't show it, but you can also use data validation rules to give you a drop-down list for every cell in column B so that you don't have to type out the categories every time.

I should say that I'm an Excel amateur, so I can't promise that this method is the best way to achieve this effect. Also, it's kind of reinventing the wheel. I don't know how much you've explored other options, but there are free services like Mint that will look at your various accounts, categorize the expenses (mostly automatically), and spit out all sorts of charts and graphs. Other than occasionally having to categorize an expense it doesn't know what to do with, you don't have to do much by hand at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Morter posted:

For what it's worth, I played around with quite a few different video programs to resize and ended up selling on using GeForce Experience to do it by itself. You can select a video to upload to YouTube, select the start and end times and it will create a new version of the video with just that clip. If you want to make it smaller, Handbrake will do that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

No problem! You can get fancier with it, too. For instance, you could make a table listing your different spending categories, assign a category to each expense in the next column over, then use sumif to create sums for each category. For example:

So in each of those rows displaying totals, sumif looks at everything in column B, picks out the cells of the matching type, and adds the corresponding values from column A. The screenshot doesn't show it, but you can also use data validation rules to give you a drop-down list for every cell in column B so that you don't have to type out the categories every time.

I should say that I'm an Excel amateur, so I can't promise that this method is the best way to achieve this effect. Also, it's kind of reinventing the wheel. I don't know how much you've explored other options, but there are free services like Mint that will look at your various accounts, categorize the expenses (mostly automatically), and spit out all sorts of charts and graphs. Other than occasionally having to categorize an expense it doesn't know what to do with, you don't have to do much by hand at all.
You have reinvented the pivot table.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mystes posted:

You have reinvented the pivot table.

:lol: this is even the exact use case Microsoft uses to explain what a pivot table is. Thanks!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Medullah posted:

For what it's worth, I played around with quite a few different video programs to resize and ended up selling on using GeForce Experience to do it by itself. You can select a video to upload to YouTube, select the start and end times and it will create a new version of the video with just that clip. If you want to make it smaller, Handbrake will do that.

I think Handbrake is mostly what i'm looking for.

I'm struggling to find a way to easily mix/play two audio tracks at once (The first few chunks of the videos i recorded had my audio and system audio in separate tracks). I've had to work around it by using Audacity and then Avidemux to extract, mix, and combine audio. It was a pain in the rear end, but it's at least a work around.

Am I missing a way for Handbrake to do this?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

stevewm posted:

At my work it is used in lieu of MS Office and has been for several years (used to be OpenOffice) Only a handful of people have MS Office, and only out of necessity due to a handful of custom apps that require somewhat complicated Excel Macros. I configure LO to save in the Office XML formats by default, just in case someone sends a document externally.
Maybe I could talk my place into doing that eventually, good lord the struggles with O365 sometimes. Half of the issues come down to activation problems, and there was one really fun time with getting it up and running on a remote site that had only satellite internet connection. If not for Outlook, I would have just put them on LibreOffice.

I actually came here to gripe/ask about Office 365 and see if anyone else had any issues with repair install. Office apps keep crashing on a PC on launch and I've had some luck with doing repairs installs in the past instead of just reinstalling completely. Quick repair didn't work so I did Online repair but now it's been on the "Repairing office - step 1 of 4" for about 4 hours. I could have reimaged the drat thing in this time, and if it wasn't a remote site I'd probably do that. I know it's basically downloading and reinstalling the whole thing but this place has a decent internet pipe so I don't even know. It worries me too that resource monitor activity is really low for network and disk so I have no idea what it's actually doing at this point if anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've had cases where particularly fucky installs would just stall in the repair process and never complete. If a Quick Repair doesn't solve the issue then I typically just run the Office Clean Up tool and reinstall from scratch.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Office cleanup tool helps a lot. I don't know what magic it uses, but uninstall Office, run that, and then reinstall Office and you should be good.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'm needing to move 10 individual disks from Old computer to New computer and I want to see what sort of pitfalls you folks think I might run into. I'm going to be building my new computer in the next few weeks, which will have Win 10 Pro on it. My old computer is Win 7 Pro. 7 of the disks are internal and 3 external (one USB, 2 eSATA). I can make backups of two disks at a time to a tertiary computer so I'm not totally farked if something goes south. 2 of the disks are MBR/NTFS and the rest are GUID/NTFS and nothing is BitLocker'd/encrypted. Take disks from old box, put in new, set drive letter, what might FUBAR this ? NTFS permissions ? Weird ownership of files ? Moon gremlins ? what ?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

You'll probably need to seize ownership of your user profile data. All other custom permissions should be using the built-in account SIDs and will move ok. Seizing permissions should be fairly trivial since you have admin rights, maybe a bit annoying but oh well.

e: This gets easier going forward if you use a MS account to login since your SID will stop changing with each fresh install.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 4, 2018

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I have a win 10 dekstop at home with 2 screens. I often am using RDP from work to access it, and it gives me one screen. I am totally fine w that. What I don't like is that it moves everything from that 2nd screen to the first and doesn't move it back when I kill the session. It's nothing critical- just a couple rainmeter skins, discord, itunes, etc. Is there a way to fire a script or something that detects when I log in RDP and maybe load a different layout, close or minimize-to-tray a couple things? And then when the session ends or the computer is unlocked from the keyboard locally, fire another script that restores things- load the original layout, restore from tray?

Same with wallpaper? On the 2 screen system its one large wallpaper with diferent images in the places that cover each screen size(Center or Span, which ever display option does it) - when I RDP and get the single screen it keeps that option but shifts the wallpaper so the split in the image is in the middle of hte single screen... So is there a way to change the wallpaper somehow when logging in RDP, and then change it back after its done?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Oh, and restoring icons to the second screen too. Thats another item that RDP just wants to say 'gently caress yo icons, im movin em over here'

At least with the rainmeter stuff I can save it as a layout and then run a little batch file to load that layout to put those things back where I want them

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I spent an entire afternoon on the phone with Microsoft support today trying to get OneDrive to sync again. I am not a happy bunny.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Can anyone suggest a software program that I can use to remotely manage a relative's home computer (which is running Windows Vista), preferably something that the relative can install without having to set up things like port forwarding? Said relative is computer literate enough to get into trouble and attempting to troubleshoot via telephone has reached the point of severely diminishing returns.

Whatever software program it is that the "Microsoft Support" phone scammers use must be pretty easy to set up for the end user that they target for those scams. Is there anything like that which I can purchase for them and have them install and then I can connect via IP address?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Teamviewer or Anydesk.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Teamviewer or Anydesk.

Make sure you set a secure password and utilize 2FA for teamviewer

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Both are free for personal use.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Both are free for personal use.

Thanks, Teamviewer looks promising.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use the built in Remote Desktop app in Chrome.

(actually, you may have to install the Chrome app. Can't remember.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thirding TeamViewer. It can even work through a browser if the distant end has the client installed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Maybe I could talk my place into doing that eventually, good lord the struggles with O365 sometimes. Half of the issues come down to activation problems, and there was one really fun time with getting it up and running on a remote site that had only satellite internet connection. If not for Outlook, I would have just put them on LibreOffice.

What really helped in our case is that no one uses Outlook. When we switched to Google Apps/GSuite some years ago (we have been using it since the Invite only stage) I pushed for everyone to stop using local mail clients. 99.8% of staff use Gmail. Only the CEO and CFO still use Outlook, and the CFO is open to switching from it.

LO is pretty good these days. Has proper MSI deployment support, and all its settings can be controlled via GPO now.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What's the cheapest way to get a legit copy of Office? Are the cheap keys you see on ebay legit? I don't get where they are sourced from.

All I need is word and excel

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a legit copy of Office? Are the cheap keys you see on ebay legit? I don't get where they are sourced from.

The cheapest ones in eBay are people sharing office 365 subscriptions which is likely not what you want. The ones that are a non-subscription version should be no different than the cheap Windows keys, which is to say they probably aren't going to cause problems for personal use.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
We had a weeks worth of problems with OneNote syncing which was incredibly frustrating, it has the most useless error messages. But when it comes to Outlook it’s still the best if your dealing with a lot of people outside your organisation.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Alpha Mayo posted:

Have you / are you open to trying Libre Office?
You can configure the files to default to MS formats, and can interact with most other MS files, save a few more advanced spreadsheets with crazy VBA.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Libreoffice is pretty good and actually better than office in some ways (I've encountered some random things that are hard to in office but easy to do in libreoffice, although I can't remember what specifically they were), but it's somewhat annoying going back and forth between office and libreoffice every day if you use office at work and I still wouldn't trust libreoffice if you need complete roundtrip compatibility for complicated layout stuff which barely works in word (although I think libreoffice got much better at shapes and stuff recently).

For most people libreoffice is probably a good choice for home use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can't you just use basic versions of Word and Excel online for free?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can't you just use basic versions of Word and Excel online for free?
You can but last time I checked they're basically just as limited as google docs and have much worse compatibility with real office than libreeoffice so there's no real point to prefer them except to avoid having to install something.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I want to work on a resume and cover letters so need Word, don't want to send a document created in LibreOffice that comes out weird when opened in Word. Usually PDF is fine but sometimes people want Word.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

I want to work on a resume and cover letters so need Word, don't want to send a document created in LibreOffice that comes out weird when opened in Word. Usually PDF is fine but sometimes people want Word.

Yeah, that's why I used the online Word version. Exported from LibreOffice to Word, opened online, spent too long fixing the formatting, and saved it natively in Word to send to job applications.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How are you people having that many formatting issues exporting from libreoffice?

Are you manually laying stuff out in text boxes for your resume or something? If so I would highly recommend not doing this, because I wouldn't trust that to even be reliable across different word versions/platforms.

I always check my resume in word at the end but i've never had problems exporting from libreoffice.

Also, the online version of word was so bad last time I tried it that it would screw up the formatting of files that looked perfectly fine in word and libreoffice because it just didn't have support for anything more complicated than tables (I think it had a preview mode that was rendered offline and actually represented what it would look like in word but once you tried to open it it would effectively convert it to an internal format similar to what google docs does. Maybe they've improved it since then though?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 10, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Why not avoid all formatting issues and just export to PDF? And then use whatever you like (word, libreoffice, LaTeX or whatever strikes your fancy) to actually create said content?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volguus posted:

Why not avoid all formatting issues and just export to PDF? And then use whatever you like (word, libreoffice, LaTeX or whatever strikes your fancy) to actually create said content?

Because a bunch of places require DOC/DOCX formats.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

Because a bunch of places require DOC/DOCX formats.
While it is true that there are places (notably recruitment agencies) that require word documents, the only reason they do so is so that they can change them and add/remove poo poo from your resume. You really don't want to work with those. Given that nowadays Edge in windows is the default pdf reader and comes preinstalled so nobody has any excuse that they can't read PDFs . And even microsoft has their own pdf-like document format that can be used as well to alleviate any and all formatting worries.
You'd be surprised how many would accept pdfs if just asked. Don't go for DOC by default. Use it as the last resort option for that dream job only.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thanks for your helpful career advice, but in the real world refusing to provide a doc file isn't necessarily a great move.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

mystes posted:

Thanks for your helpful career advice, but in the real world refusing to provide a doc file isn't necessarily a great move.
Never do anything that anyone asks of you, it only weakens your bargaining position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I agree that doc is a stupid format for sharing resumes and always send PDF first, unfortunately HR people aren't IT people.

Anyway I'll just subscribe to Office 365 for a couple months, then cancel once I find a new job. I had Office on my old install but had to nuke it when Windows 10 refused to boot anymore, and I don't feel like paying money for a questionable key (if I didn't care about being legal I'd just pirate it since that is trivial to do). Was just hoping there was some secret source of $25 legit keys or something.