Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Doggles posted:

In searching for what a black and white DMD would look like, I came across this project to convert the entire Twilight Zone table to black and white!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/single-post/2018/01/03/Update-to-Our-Black-and-White-Twilight-Zone-Pinball-Machine

Yeah that’s a super cool project. Here is the one I used.
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096hv/
It’s not cheap but it’s slightly less than a color DMD and is LED so it should last forever. My original DMD was getting gassed out anyway so that helped me justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pin2dmd is a good option since it has different color settings. I want to order the parts to build a bunch.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kind of a weird to crosspost this from the firing range but I guess they are equally relevant.

I built a custom ball launcher out of scrap parts I had around to replace the lovely factory casting on my The Shadow pinball machine. All the ignition components are fully functional so you get an actual 1911 trigger pull if you manually cock the hammer. I did cut off the grip safety arm for gameplay reasons, sometimes you need to pull the trigger really quickly to access hidden features so I didn’t want to require a full grip. The switch carrier is a magazine I modified so you can drop it out if service is ever needed.

If anyone is going to the NRA show in Dallas next month we will have it at the Cabot booth for play. If you beat my GC score, you win a free Cabot 1911.
https://youtu.be/d_fDuLEWRt0

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:fap: Now that's a mod I can get behind.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played a game of Iron Maiden last night and watched a few more. It's really good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Anyone near Kalamazoo should come check out pinball at the zoo this weekend. I’ll have a few games there.

What games will you have there? I will be there most of Sat so I will try to introduce myself. I might already know you if you are a regular down there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deviant posted:

I am unclear on what you have against

Whoa Nellie: Big Juicy Melons

Clearly I am in the pocket of Big PBR.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Uh oh, uhhhhh... guys? I just loaded up Pinball Arcade for the first time in a while and one of the pinball skins is a watermelon. :ohdear:

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Sounds juicy.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I brought no fear and demo man to patz.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I brought no fear and demo man to patz.

I didn't play either of those. I was surprised that this year there were a lot more newer pins and not all stuck in the tournament area.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

King Vidiot posted:

Uh oh, uhhhhh... guys? I just loaded up Pinball Arcade for the first time in a while and one of the pinball skins is a watermelon. :ohdear:

Ohhhh nooooo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doggles posted:

In searching for what a black and white DMD would look like, I came across this project to convert the entire Twilight Zone table to black and white!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/single-post/2018/01/03/Update-to-Our-Black-and-White-Twilight-Zone-Pinball-Machine

That's cool.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

tonedef131 posted:

Just took delivery of my Iron Maiden and it’s definitely in the running for my one game for home. I know it’s early to make that call but this is the most loaded pro I’ve ever seen and it shoots like a demon. If anybody is in northern indiana I’m throwing a launch party at the brewery it’s going to live at on May 11th.

Which brewery? If it’s not too far from Chicago I could be convinced.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doggles posted:

tonedef131 posted:

Yeah that’s a super cool project. Here is the one I used.
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096hv/
It’s not cheap but it’s slightly less than a color DMD and is LED so it should last forever. My original DMD was getting gassed out anyway so that helped me justify it.

These are really neat.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

Which brewery? If it’s not too far from Chicago I could be convinced.
Summit City, it’s about 3 hours from Chicago. Zombie Yeti might be making an appearance and we are also adding Metallica to the lineup that day. If my Shadow with the custom launcher I posted about earlier in the thread is shipped back in time, I’m going to bring that down for the day as well. The details are in the events section of our webpage FWPinball.com

Edit: Tommy Skinner is hosting a launch party in Lafayette the weekend before which is a lot closer to you. I will be out of town though so I’m going to miss that one.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Well my league's divisions just got set for this season and I'm at the top of B Division. My imposter syndrome is kicking into overdrive and I'm making offerings to the Great Silver Ball for some decent play tonight. I don't need to end up in the top spot when finals start in a few weeks, I just want to be in the top three so I have a guaranteed chance to compete. I ended a previous season #1 in my division and then wasn't able to participate in the finals due to scheduling problems, and I've gotten 4th or 5th but was knocked out in the semi-finals a few times. Nothing like good old-fashioned nerves to keep me jittery through the work day.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Welp, so much for that Alien pinball table.

HEIGHWAY PINBALL FACES LIQUIDATION

quote:

Heighway Pinball, the pinball design and manufacturing business based in Ebbw Vale in South Wales, has closed the doors on the factory, laid-off the employees and is facing liquidation.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rip. Full Throttle was by all accounts a good table.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Finally got to try out Ghostbusters during a day trip to Rehoboth Beach over the weekend. Hadn't seen the game or looked at any info previously. Popped in a dollar and got really lucky; activated the storage tank multiball during ball 2, and it must have stacked with another mode or two. I don't know what the hell happened, but there were definitely 5 balls going at once at one point. Scored 642 mil and got to put my name in at High Score #2. GC was about twice that score. Got the replay and only got 22 mil there.

Also, when it flips your flipper inputs, that is a real brain-breaker.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/clt/d/great-condition-twilight-zone/6568961100.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/clt/d/theatre-of-magic-pinball-game/6564988744.html

these are both....too much, right? TZ is pretty awesome looking but $$$

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Funktor posted:

Also, when it flips your flipper inputs, that is a real brain-breaker.

Cross your arms in front of you to fix your brain.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Well it depends on the market. TZ in Austin can fetch $10k if it's been refreshed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doggles posted:

Welp, so much for that Alien pinball table.

HEIGHWAY PINBALL FACES LIQUIDATION

is Alien just a cursed IP for physical tables or something? I feel like several attempts have all been botched

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The ToM seems to be in the ballpark. I do like the "rare topper" on the TZ though.
I've seen TZs go for 5-8 and I've seen them rot at that price. I have about $3k and 200 hours into refurbing mine.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That TZ seems like it might be a good "investment" piece, in that it is at the very least unlikely to go down in price. Is that an accurate assessment? I have no idea how aftermarket stuff works with pinball, if its like idiots with car aftermarket bits or if it is actually desirable to follow-on buyers.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

7500 is hard to go up from if you take into fact maintenance. Some buyers like mods, some do not.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TZ seems a bit high. I paid just over $6000 and mine came with new decals and is in really good shape. I think the problem you have is this person bought a bunch of mods for it and wants to add that into the price. I personally don't care about toppers and a bunch of extra toys inside.

My suggestion is that unless you absolutely want a specific machine, be patient. The right deal will come along.

I mentioned it earlier too but if you're not well versed in working on these machines, I'd be wary of TZ. Great table but it constantly needs things tweaked. While I love the table and have learned a lot, I do regret getting something so complicated.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

pinball tables are not an investment.

where the gently caress is my TNA, spooky? where is it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is Alien just a cursed IP for physical tables or something? I feel like several attempts have all been botched
The pinball table industry in general is where money goes to die.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm surprised more scam artists don't use it. Just pop on Pinside, say you're making a Goonies pinball and you've got a million dollars.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They say boats are holes in the water that you fill with money.

Pinball machines are boxes you fill with money. It's just that every one in awhile they short out and catch on fire.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

They say boats are holes in the water that you fill with money.

Pinball machines are boxes you fill with money. It's just that every one in awhile they short out and catch on fire.

Don't threaten me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I'm surprised more scam artists don't use it. Just pop on Pinside, say you're making a Goonies pinball and you've got a million dollars.

Could I interest you in a Predator preorder?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Could I interest you in a Predator preorder?

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1687 ?

:thunk:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

canyoneer posted:

Cross your arms in front of you to fix your brain.

If I remember correctly it is not that it switches left and right side it's that the flippers are in the up position and you pushing the button makes them go down but it seemed like you could not hold it down long and its also during a multiball.

It was a weird thing to happen when you aren't expecting it at all.

Edit: Nevermind I was confusing this with Houdini which is what does the above...

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 1, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Trastion posted:

If I remember correctly it is not that it switches left and right side it's that the flippers are in the up position and you pushing the button makes them go down but it seemed like you could not hold it down long and its also during a multiball.

It was a weird thing to happen when you aren't expecting it at all.

Edit: Nevermind I was confusing this with Houdini which is what does the above...

Houdini's is also as tough as you want it to be, you can choose reversed or reversed+mirrored.

bonus multiplier....now....at....two x!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just learned about a place called Yestercades in Red Bank, NJ. My office is like 15 minutes away from there. This is their game list. :stare:

Wow. I need to find a day to take a long lunch!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I am a casual reader here and I wonder if you all know the TNT Amusement YT channel. Todd is a funny host and I like their episodes, it is entertainment and „education“ as well, I learned a lot about Pinball Machines and Arcade Systems from their channel and content, it is a Goldmine for Pinball history.
http://tntamusements.com
Too bad I live in Germany, I would love to visit their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I too love coffee