Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

When/if you decide to go for the R1 forks, get at me - I have a set from an 08 R1 I meant to install on my FZ1 that I never got around to, sitting in a box in my garage, along with the calipers/MC/rotors to go with them. They're gold, not black, if that matters.

Nice I am very interested in these, let me know how much you would want? These are the 6 piston calipers right? Looking to purchase around the 15th of next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

I left the jetting as is, with just putting fresh seals and boots on. Since you said it was professionally done, I wanted to see how it was to use as a baseline, and go from there. Now, it's easily the best running and smoothest carb setup I've ever had, including my nice stock EX250. I don't want to change anything, for fear of angering the carb gods and entering an uroboros of pain chasing carb tunes.

I can definitely smell the slight gas odor at stoplights, though. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be. I found this. What's the story, and should I uncover it? More air might balance out the richness.

Jazzzzz is right that's intended to get more air to the carbs. There should also be a small downward snorkel on the front of the box and I don't see that either. These are common mods on Hawks. With aftermarket jetting (probably a Factory 3.0 or Dynojet kit) and a stock airbox it will run rich. You can try running it without the plastic cover on (filter exposed to the air) and see if it runs any better. Did you check the jet sizes when you have the carbs off? Something like 160 front/155 rear is roughly where you want to be with an aftermarket exhaust and pods. Pilot jet should be a #42 but sometimes people run a #45 for easier startup. You're sure the fuel smell is not a leak correct?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/WjhmXsU
I yanked them both out of this.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Revvik posted:

I can see both, but holy poo poo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

I lost it at the bicycle on top of the motorcyle. You really packed it in. How did you get both of them inside? Is the ramp stable enough to just ride up it?

Gorson posted:

Jazzzzz is right that's intended to get more air to the carbs. There should also be a small downward snorkel on the front of the box and I don't see that either. These are common mods on Hawks. With aftermarket jetting (probably a Factory 3.0 or Dynojet kit) and a stock airbox it will run rich. You can try running it without the plastic cover on (filter exposed to the air) and see if it runs any better. Did you check the jet sizes when you have the carbs off? Something like 160 front/155 rear is roughly where you want to be with an aftermarket exhaust and pods. Pilot jet should be a #42 but sometimes people run a #45 for easier startup. You're sure the fuel smell is not a leak correct?

Jazzzzz posted:

I have no idea. After I had the valves checked and the jetting looked at I never had reason to pull the tank. It looks to me like someone cut the airbox trying to get more airflow and then either decided they didn't like it or the mechanic I took to it decided THEY didn't like it and taped over it when they did the jetting (wtf). Usually people who ditch the airbox on Hawks toss the whole thing and put pod filters on. I never hosed with it because it ran fine, if smelling a little rich, once I got it back from the shop.

I'm not inclined to mess with perfection either. I still have the snorkal on the airbox, but I'm going to sate my curiosity by uncovering that tape and seeing how things change. I'll make sure to take a picture of the plug before and after, though!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nah, we strong-armed it up the ramp. I’ve seen enough videos of poo poo going wrong with ramps and I didn’t need broken limbs before the 30+ hour drive to Arizona.
Everything made it here in one piece, too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, thats not interesting at all. Especially with you having supermotos and dual sports and all. 3/10, needs improvement.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I know. I’ve never even really intentionally wheelied the 990, so why are my fork seals are blown.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you’re in Phoenix make sure to hit up
South Mountain, Tortilla Flat, and Yarnell hill. All great rides, with south mountain just being a fun short blast, and the rest being a bit more of a time commitment.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Last summer we took a hiking trip out to Tortilla Flat, and I think the year before we we t to South Mountain to do the same. I’m excited to see more of these places on two wheels!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Took tank off, cleaned petcock filters, rinsed entire tank, changed all the fuel hosing cleaned carb, reassembled. Went for a ride and engine started to struggle after a mile.

Home, tank off, carb cleaned (once again mysterious red grit), valves adjusted (way out, also the R has no way to manually crank other than turning the back wheel so that was fun), cursed, changed fuel lines again, put all back together with the intention of limping to a mechanic.

Ran perfectly, cursed again, bought a new filter. My next bike will have efi and a warranty.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did some gromff roading, powerlines were muddy today still.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grom off roading is the best. Looks like you had fun.

I lowsided my grom into a curb today because even though I was careful on the new tires, they were far slicker than I've ever experienced. Did $150 of damage. Good times. At least it wasn't the hawk oh god.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

(mysterious red grit)

You got this too? I think it's pulverized rust. It appeared in my carb float bowls after putting sea foam in the tank. It's so fine that a half-inch of packed grit (silt is a better word) was able to keep the float bowl from draining when I opened the drain screw.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I believe it was said earlier in the thread but install an inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs. At the very least swapping a $5 fuel filter is easier than having to disassemble the carbs and clean them again, and you can do it on the side of the road if you have to.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shelvocke posted:

Took tank off, cleaned petcock filters, rinsed entire tank, changed all the fuel hosing cleaned carb, reassembled. Went for a ride and engine started to struggle after a mile.

Home, tank off, carb cleaned (once again mysterious red grit), valves adjusted (way out, also the R has no way to manually crank other than turning the back wheel so that was fun), cursed, changed fuel lines again, put all back together with the intention of limping to a mechanic.

Ran perfectly, cursed again, bought a new filter. My next bike will have efi and a warranty.

Sounds like your tank needs a lining. The POR15 kit is good, if you follow the instructions to the letter.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

Sounds like your tank needs a lining. The POR15 kit is good, if you follow the instructions to the letter.

Have used the POR15 kit before, can confirm it works well and is relatively easy to use. The Caswell kit is also supposed to be good. Don't use Kreem, it sucks

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Kreem does work but it's easy to do it wrong. Caswell is nice, very easy to use.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I tried to use redkote on a tank and ended up screwing it up royally. Ended up waiting on eBay for a new tank of the right color then popped the old one on there at fire-sale "somewhat done messed up this tank" price. Not including time, I think total cost of the tank project was like $135. Not too bad all things considered. I was shocked that tank sold.

In the future, I'd just pay the local shop to do the coating. Yeah, it's a little expensive, but at least I know it will take.

EDIT: removed superfluous "the"

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

So after more fiddling and considering a coat, I discovered the cause of my problems: fuel pressure too high.

When I first got the bike back I changed the fuel lines to be more direct and less kinky, as well as rotating the carb to be upright when the bike was upright- I think the interim owner aligned it to upright on side stand. With two petcocks open the carb was flooding out and (somehow) getting the mix wrong. Now with one petcock open it is back to buckets of power and effortless wheelies; spent 300 very happy miles on it yesterday in the sun.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shelvocke posted:

When I first got the bike back I changed the fuel lines to be more direct and less kinky, as well as rotating the carb to be upright when the bike was upright- I think the interim owner aligned it to upright on side stand. With two petcocks open the carb was flooding out and (somehow) getting the mix wrong. Now with one petcock open it is back to buckets of power and effortless wheelies; spent 300 very happy miles on it yesterday in the sun.

That's so weird that someone would rotate the carb like that, but I can see it causing problems. Glad you got it sorted. Bet it was a hard problem to locate.

:getin:

Thanks Jazzzzz for the Morimoto! Extra thanks to M42 for helping me with finding the right bucket for it. Without that emgo, I'd have never gotten it in without messing up the stock bucket. With the emgo, it was plug n play! It transforms the look of the bike, I love it.

I also changed the grips to something less slippery, as my hands hurt from having to grip so hard.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That looks loving awesome. gently caress chromey headlights, black interiors 4 lyf!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There's something weird about seeing an LED headlight on a bike from 89, but the light output has to be MILES better than stock. Those grips needed to go too, so good call

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet headlight breh

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Sweet headlight breh

cool dash you've got there

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Once I went to adjust it I found that the cute fusebox under the headlight was blocking the bucket from tilting down nearly far enough. After a bunch of fussing with brackets I realized I could just.... flip the fusebox upside down. Worked like a charm. I'll check tomorrow to see that it doesn't hit the fender on hard braking.

Outputs are serviceable. Way better than stock, and I really love the *Aesthetic* of the headlight.

Low

High

And the protaper pillowtop grips OH MAN night and day difference.

Sagebrush posted:

Sweet headlight breh

Sweet 3d printed turn signals brah. What bulb did you encase in there, again? Obviously, I love that dash.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 5, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How have I missed all the morimoto chat? Can someone link the headlight and bucket? I have an H4 LED in the SV now but I’d like to upgrade

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The morimoto I have: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/morimoto-sealed7-bi-led-headlights-7.html

It's also worth noting that AliExpress has a wide range of different patterns and types of these compound 7 inch headlights. I prefer the look of the morimoto, but it's worth a look.

The bucket is here. It really is plug and play.
https://www.ebay.com/i/311567336293

Do ittttt one of us one of us

Edit: If the h4 LED you have is the Cyclops 7000 lum, don't change it. The morimoto isn't as bright. It does look way cooler so eh.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How have I missed all the morimoto chat? Can someone link the headlight and bucket? I have an H4 LED in the SV now but I’d like to upgrade

Thank you for reminding me I need to measure my headlight up. Eyeballing it, I'm pretty certain the rectangular sealed beam LEDs they sell for landrovers and poo poo should be the right size to go on my zzr, and should provide a less antisocial beam pattern than what I'm getting running an LED H4 in a reflector bucket made for incandescents.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That would be a really interesting conversion to see. Please update and such on the process.

Alternatively (and I know I sound like a broken record with things that I love), the cyclops 7k has excellent cutoff and interaction with factory reflectors. The 3600 lum does not, as do a lot of LED h4 bulbs. Might be worth a shot. Beware the highbeam is basically not different from the low. But the low is really good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I've noticed that the high beam is mostly just a little extra light higher up, illuminating road signs further down the road, not mosquito-melter mode.

The H4 conversion LED bulb I had before definitely seemed brighter on high, but that may have just been a messy pattern. Low was about the same. In any case, I've noticed that running with this LED headlamp on high beam in the day seriously gets me noticed. Far more cars move out of the way when I'm splitting than usual -- the high beam lens is very focused and visible from a distance and I suspect the bluish tone hooks into the cop-alert part of people's brains.

e:

Coydog posted:

Sweet 3d printed turn signals brah. What bulb did you encase in there, again? Obviously, I love that dash.

I bought these guys and these sockets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGM0V7E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZE8V0I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the wiring is pretty simple. I found my posts from earlier in the thread

Sagebrush posted:

Well, since it seems to be "talk about turn signals" time, here's the current state of the ones I'm working on.

Long story short: I don't like the stock DOT chunky blocks, and I want something smaller and cleaner, but I also want the signals to fit my Hawk's existing airfoil-shaped mounts. No products like this exist. This is iteration 4 of my custom solution. Finished the test fit earlier tonight, and the final versions are coming off the 3D printer tomorrow morning.

Sagebrush posted:

2. Installed the new turn signals I designed. These guys are phenomenally bright...way better than either the original DOT ones, or the previous LED models I was using that I was never totally happy with. I oriented the emitters with a projector lens front and rear, and a diffused translucent piece to the side, so there's now 360-degree visibility with intense spots ahead and behind. Main housing is printed in carbon-reinforced PHA for rigidity; the diffused lenses are hex-infill PLA, which works fine for now, but I think I might try to reprint them in a more transparent material for a cooler effect (I'd love to be able to see the electronics inside). Overall, though, really happy with the outcome. I also took the opportunity to rewire the dash turn signal indicator, which had quit working as soon as I swapped to LEDs because Honda does the weirdass "ground the indicator lamp through the opposite side turn signal" thing. A new ground and a couple of diodes and a 10mm LED and now that's working properly too --- which is extra important since the super bright signals are more likely to confuse drivers if I leave them on accidentally.

if you want the files to try 3d printing your own send me a pm. I'm fine sharing them with other Hawk GT ubermenschen but I don't really want them just on thingiverse or whatever.

e2: oh hah those are actually the v0.9 version. the new ones don't use the rubber stalks and just bolt directly onto the tail and headlight bucket arms. New ones look like this, minor variation

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 5, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

That would be a really interesting conversion to see. Please update and such on the process.

Alternatively (and I know I sound like a broken record with things that I love), the cyclops 7k has excellent cutoff and interaction with factory reflectors. The 3600 lum does not, as do a lot of LED h4 bulbs. Might be worth a shot. Beware the highbeam is basically not different from the low. But the low is really good.

That might be what I have, because when I flick the highbeams on basically all that happens is the overall light output doubles and a roughly one inch thick rectangular focused beam appears directly on top of the one produced by the lowbeam (at test distance). Like Sagebrush says, reflective signs and such far down the road become more visible, but it doesn't feel like I can actually see much further with highs vs lows.

It's mostly fine, and I don't feel the light that leaks upwards is quite as obnoxious as it could be, but given how cheap some of these sealed units are I think it could be a worthwhile experiment to see if I can get a better beam pattern. I'll keep you posted.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
How much bigger/deeper are LEDs on the back side compared to a sealed beam? I want to get one of the knockoff 5 3/4" daymakers for my tiny Suzuki but all of the connections to the wiring harness are stuffed up in the bucket and I don't think one would fit if it's much deeper.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's actually a good bit shallower than the stock sealed beam, plus there isn't a bulb socket sticking out the back to take up more space. I bet you'd be fine.

The listings usually give dimensions including depth, so look for that too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What if I wanted to fit one of these buckets but my bike has no brackets or anything else up front there? Currently running my dirtbike's headlight which attaches with rubber straps around the forks.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They make universal headlight bucket brackets. I got this one recently (youll need to find your size) and it was really well made and solid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERY83VM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also make rectangle compound projector assemblies for dirtbikes, if you just wanted to throw that in your current setup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks for that dude! My current setup is already a road legal halogen, it just looks a little too streetfightery for my tastes (plus it's loving orange so I'd have to paint it eventually).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Hawk GT ubermenschen

Thank you both for guinea pigging that headlight, I've had it bookmarked for a while now. The stock light is weak and mine has a rash on it anyway. While we're talking about lighting for obscure 80's bikes, these are drop in replacements for the brake lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY4T4BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wee: Pulled the exhaust off, scraped/polished off what surface rust I could get to with Autosol and scotchbrite pads, put the exhaust back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Today I ordered fork seals and tools for my 2013 SMT. Then I hopped on for a quick ride to the gym to start the week off doing legs. I rode home and finished my legs off by crushing them under my bike when the kickstand bracket snapped.

Again, a 2013.