Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

But let's reroll (since that's an unavoidable section).

The Plague Lords of Ruel posted:

Your stomach churns as you swing across the hall and glance down at the dreadful carnage taking place a hundred feet below. Angry squeals and a clutch of arrows follow in your wake as the Vazhag archers try desperately to prevent you from getting away. Grimly you cling to the chain as it nears the end of its arc, and try to ignore the arrows that are whistling by on either side.

Curing: +1 EP (27/33).
We roll: 0 5.

You fix your eyes on the observation platform as you wait for the chain to reach the end of its arc. Upon the instant that momentum stops, you release your grip and hurtle through the air towards the platform’s rail. You have timed your jump to perfection, but your landing leaves much to be desired. You collide heavily with the rail, bloodying your nose and bruising your hands and shins, yet you still manage to hold tight and prevent yourself from falling backwards to your doom (lose 2 ENDURANCE points).

Winded and bleeding you drag yourself over the rail and stagger toward the inviting darkness of the doorway which services this platform.

Endurance: 25/33.

Beyond the doorway is a flight of stone steps which ascend into the gloom. You pound up the steps, your heart beating in time with your feet, and emerge at a chamber which is lit by foul-smelling torches fixed around the walls. Two passages lead out of this room: one heads towards the west, the other towards the east. You pause for a moment to use your Magnakai senses of Divination and Pathsmanship, but you detect nothing unusual about either passage.

Curing: +1 EP (26/33).
East or west?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
What does it help to define the passages as east or west when we do not know if we are coming from the south or north!

How are we to know now which one is :goleft:?!

:rolldice: WEST

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wc-AQJ2MYo

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Go west, young old Wolf.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Throwing in a vote for East.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

East or west?

From the map, Mogaruith’s on the east edge of the forest of mutant horrors. Let’s head east to nicer places.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

anakha posted:

Throwing in a vote for East.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
East!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
When in doubt, turn right West.

Tiggum posted:

You run to the winch and examine the gears and chains, trying at once to understand their workings and find a way to cause the cauldron to discharge its corrosive contents into the hall below. But the device is designed to prevent the chance of this occurring. The only way you can make the cauldron spill its deadly load is by severing a thick metal pin which secures the heavy chain to its rim.
Let's chalk a not so frequent victory for OSHA and common sense (half victory at least, the whole idea of aving a massive tank of acid suspended over your workplace...).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Guy Fawkes posted:

When in doubt, turn right West.

Let's chalk a not so frequent victory for OSHA and common sense (half victory at least, the whole idea of aving a massive tank of acid suspended over your workplace...).

Gravity feeding makes sense at least but I guess no one told these guys that it doesn't need to be directly above...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey sometimes all the OSHA precautions won’t help much. In my computer flash memory factory’s industrial waste neutralization building they leave several large tanks of acid open on top for various reasons. There are railings on the walkways over them and life preservers, but I’m pretty sure neither helps you much if you actually fall in.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The railings actually would help a lot in prevnting somebody from falling in. As for the life preservers it really depends on the strength of the acid, some of the stuff used for etching is rather diluted.

Go east

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You follow this dark passage for several minutes before arriving at what appears to be a dead end. You are about to turn around and retrace your steps when suddenly your senses alert you to an ornately carved brick in the facing wall. On closer examination you discover a keyhole, and a Cenerese engraving which bears the seal of Arch Druid Cadak.

Curing: +1 EP (25/33).

You unfurl the Map of Mogaruith and try to find your present location. At length you discover where you are and, marked by a tiny cipher, you see that there is a hidden lever which activates the wall. You examine the surrounding bricks carefully and soon discover the false panel which contains the lever. You pull it and the wall glides inwards before moving away to your right. It reveals a small well-kept chamber, its walls lined with shelves containing hundreds of stoppered jars, each one neatly labelled.

The jars contain all manner of compounds and elements, from worthless dirt to precious gold dust, and many herbs besides. You search along the shelves and take down half a dozen jars whose contents you recognize:
  • Laumspur (Enough for 5 doses) Restores 4 ENDURANCE points when swallowed after combat.
  • Alether (Enough for 4 doses) Increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for duration of one fight only.
  • Gallowbrush (Enough for 2 doses) Induces 10 hours’ sleep and loss of 2 ENDURANCE points per dose.
  • Sabito (Enough for 2 doses) Enables user to breathe underwater.
  • Laumwort (Enough for 3 doses) Restores 2 ENDURANCE points if swallowed before or after combat.
  • Oede (Enough for 1 dose) Very rare and valuable. Many healing properties. Cures serious diseases. Restores 10 ENDURANCE points if swallowed before or after combat.
If you wish to keep one or more of the above jars, remember to record your choice on your Action Chart. Each jar contains all of a given herb or potion in a concentrated form created by the Cener Druids (e.g. all five doses of Laumspur are contained in a single jar). Each jar counts as one Backpack Item.

Apart from the secret door by which you entered, you notice that there is a narrow passageway which leads out of this room.

Curing: +1 EP (26/33).
  1. Which potions are we taking (and what are we dropping to make room)?
  2. Do we continue in this direction along the passageway, or turn around and go back to the west?

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal
  4. Dagger
  5. Meal
  6. Meal
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. 5 Gold Crowns
  9. Mirror
  10. Copper Key

You need either the map of Mogaruith or a gold key (obtained from the statuette in Cadak's private chamber) to get into this secret room.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Swap Alether for Mirror, Oede for Key, Laumspur for a Meal, and keep going in this direction.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Swap Alether for Mirror, Oede for Key, Laumspur for a Meal, and keep going in this direction.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
With a description like that how can the Oede item not be relevant later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

With a description like that how can the Oede item not be relevant later.

It's a recurring item in the series, used as the solution to any particularly nasty poison or disease that's beyond the reach of Healing/Curing/Deliverance. It's also the strongest healing potion per dose. Whether or not it will come up again is a matter of speculation/spoilers, but there has been more than one example already of times where the wrong choice led to an oede-or-die situation.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Take everything. Drop 2 meals, the dagger, the mirror, the 5 crowns, and the copper key.

Keep going

nelson fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 5, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I propose we use the single Alether potion next time we are at negative CR and the enemy has more EP than us.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

achtungnight posted:

emptyquoting

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm not sure there is a single instance of Gallowbrush doing ANYTHING aside from the bushes scratching you in book one.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Jackard posted:

I'm not sure there is a single instance of Gallowbrush doing ANYTHING aside from the bushes scratching you in book one.

Yeah, there are a few cases (Caverns of Kalte is the one that springs to mind) where you can use it.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Leraika posted:

Yeah, there are a few cases (Caverns of Kalte is the one that springs to mind) where you can use it.

That’s the one I remember too. I thought maybe it would once again be useful.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

nelson posted:

Take everything. Drop 2 3 meals, the dagger, the mirror, the 5 crowns, and the copper key.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

You need either the map of Mogaruith or a gold key (obtained from the statuette in Cadak's private chamber) to get into this secret room.

Good going Cadak; lock up your stash but don't disable the lever that lets any rando who finds it in. :doh:

Why are so few of you taking the waterbreathing potion? That's so random it's got to be useful soon. Drop 2 Meals, the Crowns and the Dagger, take the Sabito, Oede, Alether and Laumspur. And see what's down Cadak's back passage. East! :pervert:

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 5, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Runcible Cat posted:

Drop 2 Meals, the Crowns and the Dagger, take the Sabito, Oede, Alether and Laumspur.

And keep going.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

Good going Cadak; lock up your stash but don't disable the lever that lets any rando who finds it in. :doh:

Why are so few of you taking the waterbreathing potion? That's so random it's got to be useful soon. Drop 2 Meals, the Crowns and the Dagger, take the Sabito, Oede, Alether and Laumspur. And see what's down Cadak's back passage. East! :pervert:

Do this

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Drop 2 Meals, the Crowns and the Dagger, take the Sabito, Oede, Alether and Laumspur.
East!

To be fair the lever was well hidden behind a fake wall panel. The keyhole was most likely for if he needed to send a minion up to fetch something.

Do this

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Deathwind posted:

To be fair the lever was well hidden behind a fake wall panel. The keyhole was most likely for if he needed to send a minion up to fetch something.

Point.

Also while I think of it, chug any healing stuff we'd otherwise leave behind.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Drink all doses of Laumwort, leave behind Gallowbrush and take all other potions.
Drop 2 Meals, the dagger and the Mirror.
Keep going.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Drink all doses of Laumwort, leave behind Gallowbrush and take all other potions.
Drop 2 Meals, the dagger and the Mirror.

achtungnight posted:

keep going in this direction.
Endurance: 32/33.
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP / 5 Doses)
  4. Potion of Alether (+2 CS / 4 Doses)
  5. Potion of Sabito (Water Breathing / 2 Doses)
  6. Meal
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. 5 Gold Crowns
  9. Potion of Oede (+10 EP)
  10. Copper Key

You follow the narrow passageway which gradually ascends towards the north. The clanging of a distant alarm bell reminds you that all of Mogaruith has been alerted to your presence and, in light of the devastation you have caused, you know better than to expect mercy from the Cenerese if they should catch you now.

After a few minutes the passage arrives at a hall where a railed balcony overlooks a deep circular shaft. A broad stone staircase at the north wall ascends to the next level and you stride swiftly towards it. As you pass the balcony you pause for a moment to stare down at a fascinating sight. Hundreds of feet below, at the base of the shaft, huge vats filled with a sickly brown fluid bubble and seethe as if they are boiling on a hob. You notice scores of robed druids standing on a great iron gantry suspended above these vats, each one equipped with what appears to be a gigantic butterfly net. They are busily scooping up large brown objects which keep bobbing to the surface of the morass. You use your Magnakai skills to magnify your vision and, as the scene looms larger, you see that the objects are alive. Your stomach churns with revulsion when you suddenly realize what it is that you are looking at. These are the spawning vats in which the Ceners create their loathsome, disease-ridden Vazhag.

A noise from the staircase attracts your attention; it is the sound of shuffling footfalls descending the stairs. Moments later your keen sense of smell identifies the threat: a Vazhag patrol is hurrying towards the hall.

Curing: +1 EP (33/33).
Do we hide or fight?

nelson posted:

I propose we use the single Alether potion next time we are at negative CR and the enemy has more EP than us.
I'd also like to see votes for or against this proposal.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hide - can't risk a ruckus.

Use the potion as specified.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Use potion as specified and fight!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It would be a shame to get caught and killed at this stage.

Quickly you crouch down and take cover beside the staircase, hidden from view by the shadows and your Kai camouflage skills. Within seconds the Vazhag appear, but they are not alone. They are being led by a frog-like Tzarg which they have tethered on a chain. The Tzarg has its face pressed close to the steps and it is snuffling and snorting like a bloodhound as it tries to locate your scent.

You focus your power of Animal Mastery at the Tzarg and will it to leave the hall along the passage by which you entered. At first you sense resistance to your command but this soon collapses and the Tzarg obeys. It waddles into the passageway with an excited group of Vazhag close on its heels, all of them now convinced by the Tzarg’s reaction that it has picked up your trail.

Patiently you wait until the sound of their footsteps has faded before you emerge from your hiding place and leave the hall by the stairs.

The stairs lead to another hall on a level fifty feet higher. Here, two staircases ascend to the left and right, and a gloomy tunnel disappears directly ahead of you. Your senses pick up something moving at the end of the tunnel and, when you focus your infravision along this dark passageway, you see another Vazhag patrol heading straight towards you. This one is being led by two Acolytes of Vashna and a pack of Ruel war-dogs.

Eager to evade these enemies, you glance at both staircases and try to decide which one to climb.
Left or right?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As good a time to :goleft: as any.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

As good a time to :goleft: as any.

Dever likes his leftness. Left!

Adbot