Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

schweens posted:

Actually everyone needs to read the entire thread by next Friday. There will be a 200 question final and I'm not curving it.

God, I'm already like 2 days behind on my work of keeping up with every single youtube video ever posted, and the final quiz on that is only 6 months away. I don't know how everybody else in the world has been able to keep up to the date.

sean10mm posted:

Who was the most hated heel by audiences? I mean in the sense of audiences totally buying into his villain character, rather than wanting him to gently caress off because he was a lovely performer.

It makes me laugh to think about those olden day rubes who couldn't separate reality from fiction :smug:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go slash Tomaso Ciampa's tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is totally subjective but I'm still going through Death of WCW and the nostalgia is strong in me.

Do you guys think, if he had the ambition of his pals Shawn, Trips and Kevin, and if he could keep his drinking under control, Scott Hall could have been the best of the Kliq?

I mean, the guy had it all. In terms of look, he was quite tall (the fact he was always with Nash made it easy to overlook), had awesome hair and a great bod. I don't think anyone in the Kliq had a better look.
Every single person in the group oozed charisma but Hall not only was highly charismatic, he was probably better on the mic than anyone save Nash and maybe Michaels.
He was a really good worker for a guy his size and only loses to Shawn and Sean because they're both really extraordinary talents and a lot smaller.

Yet, despite all his, not a single WWF or WCW world title. I think he could have been as good as Shawn in terms of his legacy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

NikkolasKing posted:

Yet, despite all his, not a single WWF or WCW world title.
Speaking of nostalgia, the tail end of his WWF run as Razor Ramon had me very much hoping he'd finally get to WWF title. :(

Then again, I hoped the same for Christian during his program with Jericho and Trish.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Scott Hall was already one of the biggest stars in WCW and after a certain point he was basically never in tv, so I think it’s fair to assume he would have been even bigger if he didn’t have his personal problems. Big guys with good looks, charisma and ability are what the 90s business was all about.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been watching some old WWE Hall of Fames from before I got back into it, and goddamn, the pop that Stone Cold got on his induction. His bit about the Men's Wearhouse suit being poo poo was perfect.

Also, holy gently caress, Sunny was still GORGEOUS in 2011. Did she get back on drugs during the afterparty or something? She seems like one of the most interesting people; I remember Cornette saying that she was brilliant and really well-spoken.

Last thing: I'd never seen Laycool before, and it seems like their shtick was the Iconics thing but California-style and less over. Being a woman in wrestling must've sucked in 2011; the crowd could not have given less of a poo poo about them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

surf rock posted:

Also, holy gently caress, Sunny was still GORGEOUS in 2011. Did she get back on drugs during the afterparty or something?

She clearly had some sort of mental break; she had that run of getting arrested five times in four weeks, I think most (all?) were for violating her boyfriend's protective order against her and she seemed to continue to get arrested every few months. Didn't it come out a few months ago that she's facing serious prison time because of a zillion probation violations?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surf rock posted:

Last thing: I'd never seen Laycool before, and it seems like their shtick was the Iconics thing but California-style and less over. Being a woman in wrestling must've sucked in 2011; the crowd could not have given less of a poo poo about them.
laycool at least got some decent material, like their stuff with low-ki was basically the only time he came across personable at all. Plus they had the belt for like a year straight, they probably got paid decently. The real torture was being the women's undercard in that era, since you never even got pay-per-view paydays.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The women were actively punished at the time for having good matches in WWE.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Watching Sherri's induction speech and, goddamn, she is a loving lunatic. She reminds me of old bar flies I know who have a lifetime worth of cigarettes and meth in their system.

I do want to dig into some of her old promos, though; the bit where she roasts Bischoff is phenomenal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

surf rock posted:

Watching Sherri's induction speech and, goddamn, she is a loving lunatic. She reminds me of old bar flies I know who have a lifetime worth of cigarettes and meth in their system.

Between working with both Savage and Michaels, not to mention, you know, being in wrestling in the '80s, she did all the drugs.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

surf rock posted:

I do want to dig into some of her old promos, though; the bit where she roasts Bischoff is phenomenal.

She definitely liked to party throughout her career and was plenty out there but at that time she was on pretty heavy painkillers as her back was totally thrashed by Wrestling and she didn't have the right coverage to get surgery.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wasn't watching when the Mae Young Classic aired, so I'm catching up. Who in the tournament got signed?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

I wasn't watching when the Mae Young Classic aired, so I'm catching up. Who in the tournament got signed?

I think the only ones who have stuck around are Candace, Kairi, Kavita, Sarah Logan, Shayna, and the Brazilian whose name is escaping me

although I think technically some of those had contracts and didn't do much NXT TV work before they did the MYC.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't really follow wrestling anymore, but has Kane become the libertarian mayor of some podunk town in Kansas yet?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Memento posted:

I don't really follow wrestling anymore, but has Kane become the libertarian mayor of some podunk town in Kansas yet?

he won the republican primary so he's basically a sure thing to win the actual election.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

I think the only ones who have stuck around are Candace, Kairi, Kavita, Sarah Logan, Shayna, and the Brazilian whose name is escaping me

although I think technically some of those had contracts and didn't do much NXT TV work before they did the MYC.

A bunch of them are still around.

Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, Kavita Devi, Lacey Evans, Rhea Ripley, Sarah Logan, Taynara Conti, Vanessa Borne, Xia Li and Zeda were already signed. May even be more I'm forgetting.

Jazzy Gabert was apparently offered, but had it rescinded because of injury. She just recently got back into wrestling after surgery though, so maybe she'll get signed soon.

Candice and Shayna signed later. Serena was hired as a PC coach.

Abbey Laith (Kimber Lee) and Sage Beckett were signed at the time, but have since been released.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bigass Moth posted:

Scott Hall was already one of the biggest stars in WCW and after a certain point he was basically never in tv, so I think it’s fair to assume he would have been even bigger if he didn’t have his personal problems. Big guys with good looks, charisma and ability are what the 90s business was all about.

Yeah, Hall was an Actually Good big dude, so if it wasn't for drugs/health problems/health problems because of drug problems, it's easy to see how he could have been even bigger.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

A bunch of them are still around.

Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, Kavita Devi, Lacey Evans, Rhea Ripley, Sarah Logan, Taynara Conti, Vanessa Borne, Xia Li and Zeda were already signed. May even be more I'm forgetting.

When I read the question, I read it as who was set to debut MYC and was kept on.

I didnt list someone like Dakota who was signed in 2015 for a tournament in 2017.

Kairi on the other hand was announced specifically as getting signed on for the MYC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but I just went and listed all of them because it's easier.

For several of them (including Dakota actually) the MYC was their debut even if they were previously signed.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Kevin Nash is a really huge alcoholic but it never really gets mentioned. In every shoot interview I’ve seen with him he’s red faced and obviously wasted and there’s this really depressing one he does with Xpac where he breaks down crying multiple times seemingly blackout drunk. He always claims he’s not an alcoholic too which you don’t usually do unless you are one. Has that ever actually been addressed to him?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but I just went and listed all of them because it's easier.

For several of them (including Dakota actually) the MYC was their debut even if they were previously signed.
Yeah, that's more what I was looking for, thanks. Weird how they keep passing on Santana Garrett despite using her on TV for years now.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

surf rock posted:

Sensational Sherri sent me on a lifetime journey of being in relationships with gorgeous black-haired crazy girls that I was a little afraid of. It's been a great life.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel like Kevin Nash is a really huge alcoholic but it never really gets mentioned. In every shoot interview I’ve seen with him he’s red faced and obviously wasted and there’s this really depressing one he does with Xpac where he breaks down crying multiple times seemingly blackout drunk. He always claims he’s not an alcoholic too which you don’t usually do unless you are one. Has that ever actually been addressed to him?

Who cares? That's up to him if it is effecting his life or health but if my job was working marks in dumb shoots and being the legit smartest man in wrestling, I'd drink before them too. It's not like a Jake the Snake/Scott Hall thing where it ruins his life and he's not showing up for matches wasted like Jeff Hardy so... again who gives a gently caress?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

also talking about "red faced white people = drunk" is the first time I've ever felt like reverse racism is a thing since I have sober friends who look like that on a bright enough day

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Who cares? That's up to him if it is effecting his life or health but if my job was working marks in dumb shoots and being the legit smartest man in wrestling, I'd drink before them too. It's not like a Jake the Snake/Scott Hall thing where it ruins his life and he's not showing up for matches wasted like Jeff Hardy so... again who gives a gently caress?

Nash is a poo poo but that dude knows how to get the money and god bless him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

also talking about "red faced white people = drunk" is the first time I've ever felt like reverse racism is a thing since I have sober friends who look like that on a bright enough day

Yeah but Kevin Nash is bronze.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JK! posted:

Sensational Sherri sent me on a lifetime journey of being in relationships with gorgeous black-haired crazy girls that I was a little afraid of. It's been a great life.
Daffney, but same.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

this is current the subject of heated debate in the UK. (Namely: is it racist to call red faced angry old white men "gammons" and photoshop pineapples or eggs over their eyes?)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

this is current the subject of heated debate in the UK. (Namely: is it racist to call red faced angry old white men "gammons" and photoshop pineapples or eggs over their eyes?)

its racist to butcher the word "jamon" with the stupid loving british baby talk they use for everything.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Oi me bloody da's a gammon mate. Mummy go bye bye doo dah.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Your Parents posted:

its racist to butcher the word "jamon" with the stupid loving british baby talk they use for everything.

"jambon", isn't it? Most food names come from French. Well meat ones at least

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

"jambon", isn't it? Most food names come from French. Well meat ones at least

jamon is spanish, mate

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
omlette du fromage

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Alaois posted:

jamon is spanish, mate

yeah but the English word gammon is from the French, so the English would be butchering the French not the Spanish.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Well what the hell do you wackos call gammon then.

I know this isn't a wrestling question but I'm so mad right now.

Edit don't say ham cause ham is like little slices of pig.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 15, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Well what the hell do you wackos call gammon then.

I know this isn't a wrestling question but I'm so mad right now.

Edit don't say ham cause ham is like little slices of pig.

a full one is a ham, you slice it into slices of ham.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

No I mean they retroactively now say Cole was never tag champ.

Wikipedia says: :eng101:

"Fish and O'Reilly won the match [vs Sanity @ NXT 11/29/17] and were originally champions as a duo, but after Fish suffered a torn ACL and torn MCL in his left knee, he was replaced by Adam Cole who, at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans on April 7, 2018 was considered champion with Fish and O'Reilly under the Freebird Rule, with WWE crediting him as "the first ever double champion in NXT history" after he won the NXT North American Championship in the same night. However, on the April 11 tapings of NXT, Strong became recognized as champion in Cole's place, with Cole's reign becoming retroactively unrecognized. WWE recognizes this as a single uninterrupted reign for Fish, O'Reilly, and Strong that began on December 20, 2017, when Fish and O'Reilly's title win episode aired on tape delay."

So yeah, sort of a Freebird Rule Deluxe, where Cole was only considered Fish's proxy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

shiksa posted:

a full one is a ham, you slice it into slices of ham.

gammon is cured differently and is thickly cut like steak

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

NikkolasKing posted:

Has there ever been any other big incidents like the Montreal Screwjob where the promoter screwed over one participant by arranging a "secret" finish?

I would imagine this happened a decent number of times back in the Territories but dunno if it happens in any big places or on camera.

UWFi, Takada vs Koji Kitao.

Kitao didn't want to do the job, so a draw was agreed upon. Then Takada shoot-kicked Kitao, knocking him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

surf rock posted:

Last thing: I'd never seen Laycool before, and it seems like their shtick was the Iconics The Beautiful People thing (...) and less over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0a3LyabWgo

Which brings me to my question: remember Lacey Von Erich? She tried her best, bless her heart but oooof it wasn't good. That male Von Erich tag team seemed ok-ish though.