Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arven posted:

I had to turn everything down to medium to get the frame rates playable, so it pretty much looks like WW2OL.

It's fun, but the maps need some work and capture points need moved to more interesting locations that already exist on a lot of them.

I did too, but actually it made me really happy because I was imagining if a game with this kinda engine/graphics ever replicated WW2OL I'd be so happy.

The spawn trucks and everyone having bolt action rifles so reminds me of WW2OL and I love it.

They def need to work on stuff but this dev team seems pretty motivated and so much heavy lifting has already been done by the squad devs so I'm optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently the old Squad trick of setting your graphics preset to Epic and then setting everything else manually was helping some people, if it's still an issue when the test rolls around again. I also, amusingly, had way better performance with shadows on Medium, and Distance Shadows on, than I did with them off.

Still, looking forward to playing more of it. I think the general lack of automatic weapons does a lot to change the dynamic of the game as a Squad-like, and might even make it better than.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The sound design in PS is fantastic, you know you're close to the front when you can here the chatter of MGs and bolt action rifles. Defending a town against an onslaught of Germans who have coordinated mortar barrages is genuinely exciting.

As others have stated this really feels like WW2OL 2.0 crossed with Red Orchestra. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Can confirm game is good and will probably get gooder.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

As others have stated this really feels like WW2OL 2.0 crossed with Red Orchestra. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Post Scriptum: If WW2OL and Red Orchestra had a baby

someone feel free to make a new OP if you want, if nobody else does ill make one when its nearing a more beta/release state

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hopefully they make some progress before the next test because I really want to like this but technical issues made it impossible to enjoy.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
I managed to get about 2 hours in with PS and can confirm the WW2OL / RO vibe, which was great. The unfortunate bit was just that people seem unfamiliar with the game mechanics (which is to be expected) so both of the games I played were with teams lacking cohesion or leadership. Both games ended with the last objective having an hour to be defended. For the first game, it was instant collapse once the enemy set foot in the final objective. Second game, actually managed to hold for the entire hour. I spent my time hunting and neutralizing enemy spawns as I would have in WW2OL.

Performance was definitely an issue and I felt like the aiming was sluggish, probably due to the low FPS. Trying to change the settings mid game made everything into an ugly mess.

Other than that though: good impressions!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I bought squad when it came out and haven't played except for like, once since the introduction of vehicles which were hampered by permissions and bad driving (and there were like 3 of them), can I get a quick rundown of the changes?

Pumped for post scriptum too

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

I loved the games I played over the weekend, but I have to say that squad leading on defence can be extremely frustrating. It's very hard to wrangle everyone on your team between protecting your mobile spawns, pushing the enemy back to theirs all the while keeping an eye on the objective and hopefully reacting if the enemy starts taking it.

Part of the problem is the enemy can capture things way too quickly. Neutralizing and capturing a point in about a minute is crazy and gives you no time to react as a defender. I think the devs either have to make the cap speed longer (for example, in Squad it's 2 minutes to neutralization, then another 2 minutes to capture and there is only one speed at which things get captured) OR, give the defenders a counter-attack phase. Say, a 5 minute window to get back in and push out the attackers.

At one point, my team had been pushed back to a farm and we had the full hour long timer. We pushed up both mobile spawns into good covered positions and were aggressively patrolling all approaches to the objective. We had pak guns watching several roads and a Jagdpanzer covering one angle. We were able to push back multiple major attacks and recover our own MSPs once they were compromised. However, after 40 minutes of this, one enemy breakthrough lasted long enough to quickly capture the objective in about 90 seconds. Now our defence timer is back up to 50 minutes... gently caress. We still had mobile spawns and loads of troops quite close to the objective, probably enough to push back in and secure it, but the game is telling us we can no longer be of any use in there and so we have to fall back... Eventually we won by draining the attackers' tickets, which is nuts considering how many tickets each team starts with. Our team had 600 kills to their 500. My squad alone had over 200 kills.

I also think that giving the defenders the option of placing their own fobs would be a great idea, if only to give a little flexibility in spawning in extra troops when your MSPs get destroyed (or worse, abandonned/ made unspawnable by a single enemy soldier camping in a bush).

Also hey, how's it going Evilhobo. We should play together next weekend!

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So I bought squad when it came out and haven't played except for like, once since the introduction of vehicles which were hampered by permissions and bad driving (and there were like 3 of them), can I get a quick rundown of the changes?

Pumped for post scriptum too

More vehicles and emplacements have been added. Squad leaders have to place a Forward Operating Base and have their troops build a HAB in order to allow the whole team to spawn. You can vault over obstacles now and can use a bipod on certain weapons. Everything else is probably more cosmetic or quality of life after that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Spriggly posted:

More vehicles and emplacements have been added. Squad leaders have to place a Forward Operating Base and have their troops build a HAB in order to allow the whole team to spawn. You can vault over obstacles now and can use a bipod on certain weapons. Everything else is probably more cosmetic or quality of life after that.

Also squad is all optimized mostly now and the netcode/hit reg feels very solid, lag with vehicles seems gone. Most importantly though a lot of good servers with regular playerbases have congealed so it’s pretty easy to find good pugs.

Also seems like a ton of quality of life improvements... sounds, interface, server browser have all been improved a ton since the earlier versions.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My favorite part of squad is player maturity, even the angry hostile idiots are mostly mature about it.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm really loving vehicle combat. With the new requirement of having the Crewman kit to operate heavy vehicles, there's almost always empty ones left at main and fewer guys using it to take their squad out to a point and abandoning it.

It's usually better to create your own 2-man squad than to be a crewman for another squad leader. Access to command comms, locking/unlocking the squad, approving vehicle claims, and being able to build repair stations are all super important.

I usually like to be driver, which is really more important to be good at than being the gunner. When you understand basic things about positioning you are seriously the two most lethal and important people on your team. The zoom feature on most guns is good enough to kill infantry from over a kilometer away, enemy crewmen are usually bad and very easy to destroy, and nothing is more satisfying than killing half a squad, forcing them to take cover and completely locking them down.

I just get so sad when people take a vehicle out past all friendly infantry and get blown up. Every round. The worst is when someone throws away an extremely valuable vehicle like Russia's BTR-82. That 10 minute respawn :negative:

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 1, 2018

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I folded and bought squad, if some some of the euros would care to form up from say 1800GMT? tonight and try to do a warfare that would be pretty good.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been working on getting my streaming setup built up and plan on getting back into squad. Game has really improved a ton since I last played.

https://m.twitch.tv/s_o_y

I will probably be streaming a lot more this summer once I finish my actual studio.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
New blog update is good, they're introducing random flag layouts in AAS but mostly they're giving a huge buff to turret aiming and teasing tanks. :hellyeah:

They also shared a nice Post Scriptum fan video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7C4cSixI4

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Oh, duh nevermind.

Also

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
They really need to figure out a way to push squad cohesion in PS like in regular squad. It's just an ant line from the spawn truck to the objective just like in WW2OL.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i think that just like squad and ww2ol it's going to be a pretty miserable experience unless you're on comms with a regular group of people.

it is very pretty and the sound is very, very good.

i'm on/will be on the goon squad discord if anyone feels like playing this evening.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
idk I had a pretty good time playing solo last weekend test for PS.

If you wanna be a tanker or use artillery/mortars you'll want a mic though. Even if playing with random pubbies it's really hard to man a tank without being able to directly talk to someone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Do they have the historical Char B1s that the Germans used around Arnhem in PS?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
No. At least, not yet.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I think squad had this same problem, but when I'm aiming in PS, it seems like the aiming point is not sensitive enough

Not sure how else to explain it, aside from a man standing 100m away

If I try and aim at him it will 'skip' around him because instead of the iron sight stopping on every pixel, it's like it's every 3rd pixel

So you constantly find yourself moving the mouse left or right and going over the target, then back and forth until you finally get lucky

It takes waaayyy too long to line up a shot because of this in my opinion, especially at anything further than spitting distance

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a problem that Squad did have, and solved. The PS team is aware of it and presumably shouldn't have an issue fixing it. Typically called grid aiming or some variation thereof.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Orv posted:

It's a problem that Squad did have, and solved. The PS team is aware of it and presumably shouldn't have an issue fixing it. Typically called grid aiming or some variation thereof.

Yep that's exactly it!

Hopefully they fix it soon otherwise it's just no fun

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You described it pretty well, I had the same impression the first EA weekend of PS. The aiming despite being with a mouse just doesn't feel right, "skipping pixels" is a good description.

I don't know what the fix is, but if that was the case for Squad hopefully it's something they can easily address.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My strategy is to just spray and pray to scare them and then rely on explosives to actually get the kills... which is actually pretty realistic when you think about it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I've been quite lucky snatch shooting like original COD bolt action style. Take a shot and duck in cover. I find if I take that extra second to line it up perfectly then I get nailed by something. It does need a little work though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should do a goon squad discord for ps. We can play ww2ol when it’s in beta.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PostScriptumGam/status/1009449387553062913

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else buy squad during the steam sale? Looking to goon it up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

patonthebach posted:

Anyone else buy squad during the steam sale? Looking to goon it up.

This thread is basically the defacto post scriptum thread now bud. Squad's gonna be DOA once PS drops

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think Squad is going anywhere once Post Scriptum launches. I like both, and they share a lot of similarities, but they're def not the same game. I'm fine with the thread being shared though, cause they're close enough that it kind of makes sense.

https://discord.gg/0uFJ3HEgdwubcZzL

Paton, hop into the disco that isn't used very often and sometimes you can find some goons to play with. I'll be playing this weekend a few matches at least.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I don't think Squad is going anywhere once Post Scriptum launches. I like both, and they share a lot of similarities, but they're def not the same game. I'm fine with the thread being shared though, cause they're close enough that it kind of makes sense.

https://discord.gg/0uFJ3HEgdwubcZzL

Paton, hop into the disco that isn't used very often and sometimes you can find some goons to play with. I'll be playing this weekend a few matches at least.

They aren't the same game, but if you look at how active this thread is (it isn't) and then factor that they're splitting largely the same playerbase...:shrug:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I disagree. I play and will continue to play both. Sometimes I'm in a WW2 mood, sometimes I'm in a modern combat mood. I play both Insurgency and Red Orchestra... each scratch a different itch.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
These games are niche as hell, so I have no worry about the population drying up on either. I do think Post Scriptum could kill the last 100 users of WWII Online though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Fart Car '97 posted:

They aren't the same game, but if you look at how active this thread is (it isn't) and then factor that they're splitting largely the same playerbase...:shrug:

he's right about Squad not going anywhere tho...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0oUchvHbk&t=275s

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I was surprised how big the community is. There are a ton of full servers during the week. Its a pretty stark difference from Holdfast which has about 1 server full at a time.

Squad is pretty cool so far. Need to watch some youtubes about all the squad leader commands and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Put me down for Squad and PS, getting back in to pc gaming, so no idea what any of this discord shenanigans are.