Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

fzA455 posted:

e: This thread is way too slow!! Where are the drummers?

ded. I actually don't play a whole heck of a lot these days despite poo poo being all set up. I blame it on being 41 or something. :shrug: That, and I'm just not as excited about music like when I was younger. I'm pretty sure there's an Onion or The Hard Times article about that. :D

Anyway since you totally asked here's some junk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOocMJ9nRRM

(edit: man I have a whole bunch of old footage from shows I should do something with)

Also the knee pain thing is definitely new to me but, yeah like you said, my first inclination is to check your seat height and distance from your pedal. Also Takes No Damage is there already a preexisting knee issue? You shouldn't be thunk'ing down with your whole leg - think of it as sproinging up and down on the ball of your foot. Like your lower leg-ankle-ball of foot is one spring - that way when you drop your leg, you can also flex your foot down on the leg's rebound to get a second "stroke"/beater hit out your motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

ded. I actually don't play a whole heck of a lot these days despite poo poo being all set up. I blame it on being 41 or something. :shrug: That, and I'm just not as excited about music like when I was younger. I'm pretty sure there's an Onion or The Hard Times article about that. :D

Anyway since you totally asked here's some junk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOocMJ9nRRM

(edit: man I have a whole bunch of old footage from shows I should do something with)

Also the knee pain thing is definitely new to me but, yeah like you said, my first inclination is to check your seat height and distance from your pedal. Also Takes No Damage is there already a preexisting knee issue? You shouldn't be thunk'ing down with your whole leg - think of it as sproinging up and down on the ball of your foot. Like your lower leg-ankle-ball of foot is one spring - that way when you drop your leg, you can also flex your foot down on the leg's rebound to get a second "stroke"/beater hit out your motion.

Hell yeah! That sounds great. And very clean. I'm very impressed with you not hitting that snare mic! You explained the leg action better and more concisely than me. I still think it's something that's hard to explain over text, has to be witnessed/shown in person, imo. Heel down is one of the worst bad habits unless you're just feathering quarter notes in cocktail jazz or something. e. No, even then I'm like, nope.

e: Memory lane footage is the best! Especially seeing friends in the crowd. You can laugh at yourself, but laugh at them too. And all that. I'm 33 and trying not to fade on music. Definitely not practicing rudiments and whatnot daily anymore. :smith: But my drums are at a farmhouse I can get to easily and I have cheap elec drums at home to fart with, so that's cool!

https://dev.thehardtimes.net/music/supportive-father-loving-poo poo-sons-performance/
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/punk-dad-can-still-hang-maybe-next-friday-5-p-m-8-p-m-potentially-two-saturdays-now-day/

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 26, 2018

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
that Supportive Father loving poo poo Up one still cracks me up every time I see it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

fzA455 posted:

e: This thread is way too slow!! Where are the drummers?

Last year I made the Objectively Bad Decision to go back to school so I can teach people How To Hit Things Good And Also Write Music, so my free time is mostly gone :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Shut up and post videos, thing-hitter! :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

fzA455 posted:

I'm sitting here trying to explain it, but it's really something that's so much easier to demonstrate in person. I've never played heel-down. And you're exactly right, that leg thunking is what's causing the knee pain. Most likely you need to set your throne a bit higher. And then set the tension tighter on your pedal. It's impossible to play fast if the pedal's spring isn't set tight enough so the pedal can snap back into striking position again for each hit. Put your heel up high and just start striking hard quarter notes, with your foot right in the center of the pedal. Adjust your throne height as you go. Eventually you'll find a position where you're not lifting your leg so much and using all thigh muscle. Basically, you'll find a sweet spot where the workload is equally spread between all your leg muscles. Also you'll probably want to try moving the throne back and forth as you do that too. Another thing besides the pedal tension is the adjustment where the footboard sits at a steeper angle. I do that. You hit and kinda barely let off the pedal as it bounces back and then you hit again. At first it may feel like you're just hovering your leg in the air. It take a lot of fine tuning to get the pedal and throne in order, and then it just may be awkward at first. DEFINITELY do good leg-stretches before hand. But, what you're doing already is lifting your whole leg, thunking it back down, so kinda wasting energy.

A lot of adjustments may be needed, but you're hurting yourself by playing heel-down. You'll be happy about it in the end! :)

Thanks for the info. I had been setting my throne height so my thigh was parallel to the floor, but pretty tall so that has me sitting a bit further back from the bass pedal, so now I'm scooting the snare drum forward and reaching further out for toms and cymbals, and yeah I bet I lean forward too much as well.

It sounds like you're saying my 'neutral' leg position should have my foot resting on the pedal rather than the floor, so instead of having to lift then come down on the pedal, I just head down from the initial position. That makes a lot more sense than what I've been doing. I took drum lessons for a few years but quit when I felt like I could physically do everything I wanted to, and it just became a matter of learning the songs themselves. Now that I'm starting to branch out into quicker tempos I'm needing to develop new skills for the first time in a while.

Duke Chin posted:

No other knee issue on the right leg at least, I think it's just me trying to twitch my entire leg for every bass note.

This is a good view of my whole leg moving with each bass note, lots of wasted force and motion now that I really look at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAY6v7p0aXQ

Gonna jack that throne up tomorrow and see if I can find a more efficient resting position.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

How tall? The playing sounds great but I can't tell what your foot is doing. I see what you mean trying to get the bass drum and other stuff closer together. It's hard to really explain exactly what you need from that angle. Maybe someone smarter can try?

Only thing I can think is heavy duty cymbal stands with tom mount clamps vs being stuck with the bass drum clamp/harness poo poo. Can be tough with a middle tom, but I just go top and two floors these days.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Help, I can't tune drums. I tap next to each lug and they all sound the same to me no matter what. I don't hear a difference regardless of whether all the lugs are tightened evenly, tightening one just sounds like it raises the pitch of all of them. I've been trying on a 10" and a 12" tom. I've played a buttload of instruments and I assumed by ears should be capable of this. I'm frustrated and ready to give up for today.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Olive! posted:

tightening one just sounds like it raises the pitch of all of them. I've been trying on a 10" and a 12" tom. I've played a buttload of instruments and I assumed by ears should be capable of this. I'm frustrated and ready to give up for today.

Question 1: you using flanged or die cast rims?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Duke Chin posted:

Question 1: you using flanged or die cast rims?

How do I find out, I can't find a clear explanation with visual reference.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Olive! posted:

How do I find out, I can't find a clear explanation with visual reference.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's all flanged then.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Just to be sure, you're keeping the other head from resonating while you do this right?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Old rear end drummer checking in.

Just replaced my... early 90s? Evans practice pad with a brand new one.

The rebound on the old one was just about nil. The new one is magic.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Olive! posted:

Help, I can't tune drums. I tap next to each lug and they all sound the same to me no matter what. I don't hear a difference regardless of whether all the lugs are tightened evenly, tightening one just sounds like it raises the pitch of all of them. I've been trying on a 10" and a 12" tom. I've played a buttload of instruments and I assumed by ears should be capable of this. I'm frustrated and ready to give up for today.

Push your finger down slightly in the center of the rim head. And tap just near the lug, near the very edge of the head.

Also, if you're hosed. Start from scratch. Tune up to where the wrinkles go away, maybe a bit more. Then play. Also make sure a new head is seated well.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Old rear end drummer checking in.

Just replaced my... early 90s? Evans practice pad with a brand new one.

The rebound on the old one was just about nil. The new one is magic.

ThuggaddaguddabbaaGock! :)

EDIT: Damnit. Just saw this post still up on my computer. Your finger pushes down on the center of the head, not the rim. haha

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 21, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I really enjoy Yamaha electronic kits better than Roland's offerings and I'm leaning DTX522K. Roland feels overly bouncy and inauthentic and when I go to play on a real kit I feel.. very off? I'm looking to purchase a kit for my apartment and authenticity/closeness to acoustic is my biggest driving factor, is there anything better than the DTX522K? The only thing I'd probably change is maybe slightly larger pads though all electronic kits feel a bit claustrophobic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

fzA455 posted:

How tall? The playing sounds great but I can't tell what your foot is doing. I see what you mean trying to get the bass drum and other stuff closer together. It's hard to really explain exactly what you need from that angle. Maybe someone smarter can try?

Only thing I can think is heavy duty cymbal stands with tom mount clamps vs being stuck with the bass drum clamp/harness poo poo. Can be tough with a middle tom, but I just go top and two floors these days.

Hey, sorry lost track of the thread for a while. I'm still working on techniques for upping my single bass pedal speed, lately I've been messing around with the Swivel technique where you swing your heel to each side of the pedal. It seems like the goal is to minimize the vertical movement of the leg and put more of the movement on the foot and ankle, which makes sense.

I'm about 6'2" and yeah as I keep messing around with my bass pedal angles, my toms keep getting farther away :( Any general tips for shopping for drum racks? Eventually I'd like to end up with a mounted medium tom, a mounted large tom, and 2 floor toms, but right now I've just got a small and medium mounted from the bass and one floor tom.

Olive! posted:

Try alternating taps between 2 opposite lugs, that should make it more obvious if there is a significant difference in their tuning. Tuning drums does take a long time though, compared to like guitars and stuff because each lug does affect all the others. You just have to keep going around making small adjustments until they're pretty close. And god help you when you start trying to tune a drum to a specific note :gonk:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Should I buy a Traps A400 kit for $450CAD? The Ludwig Breakbeats kit I grabbed in the winter is great, but it's proving to be not as portable as I thought (drums rarely are). The Traps kit might be heavy but at least it folds up into one piece... And it's a pretty good price...

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Takes No Damage posted:

Hey, sorry lost track of the thread for a while. I'm still working on techniques for upping my single bass pedal speed, lately I've been messing around with the Swivel technique where you swing your heel to each side of the pedal. It seems like the goal is to minimize the vertical movement of the leg and put more of the movement on the foot and ankle, which makes sense.

I'm about 6'2" and yeah as I keep messing around with my bass pedal angles, my toms keep getting farther away :( Any general tips for shopping for drum racks? Eventually I'd like to end up with a mounted medium tom, a mounted large tom, and 2 floor toms, but right now I've just got a small and medium mounted from the bass and one floor tom.

Do you plan on moving/transporting the drums at all? If yes, I would advise against a drum rack because they have to be the dumbest thing ever when it comes to drummers that gig/transport. Unless you have like 16 cymbals and 4 rack toms, they just don't make sense. Just a lot of hardware to do what 3-4 stands can do.

Snare stands and stands with tom arm clamps can solve your problem for mounting toms. Gives you more flexibility in where you want to place them. I love that my ride sits above my bass drum in a 1up 1 down format. Bought a virgin bass drum just for that reason so I wouldn't have any hardware coming out of it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely not going to be 'gigging' anytime soon, so mobility wouldn't be an issue. I thought one of the main benefits of a rack is that you can suspend toms out in front of the bass drum or right over a pedal or other hardware legs. As it is I have to Tetris my stands around every time I adjust something to get all the tripod legs to play nice with one another without hitting something else. Although I guess if I got something like this and was able to replace a cymbal stand with it that could work. Any particular brands or things to look for in tom stands? Probably something heavier than what I linked above...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm definitely not going to be 'gigging' anytime soon, so mobility wouldn't be an issue. I thought one of the main benefits of a rack is that you can suspend toms out in front of the bass drum or right over a pedal or other hardware legs. As it is I have to Tetris my stands around every time I adjust something to get all the tripod legs to play nice with one another without hitting something else. Although I guess if I got something like this and was able to replace a cymbal stand with it that could work. Any particular brands or things to look for in tom stands? Probably something heavier than what I linked above...

Yamaha and Pearl both make great hardware, and nowadays they have crazy flexibility without sacrificing holding power. If you're currently having trouble getting your stands to stay where you need them, you may be working with older products with less flexibility. Newer hardware usually has a point or two more of articulation so you can usually find some way to snake 'em around to fit into your setup as needed.

For instance, here's an older snare stand (Ludwig): https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/30192/snare-drum-stands

And here's a newer one (Yamaha): https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/1108345/snare-drum-stands

Notice the extra 90 degree angle under the snare basket; it allows you to tilt the drum without forcing you to put the bottom of the stand exactly under the drum which gets it out of your way a bit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Racks are great for home setup but as others have mentioned, are a nightmare to transport and setup. Unless you have lots of stage room you're not going to be able to fit everything.

Also for some reason I had a loving drum cage back in the 80s and required me to hire someone to help me set it up anytime I played out. And yes I had 4 or 5 rack toms, roto toms, a poo poo ton of cymbals (two chinas for gently caress's sake) and all the other crap that went along with 80s metal.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Buying a flush base hi-hat stand was the best decision. I love not having my hi-hat stand collide with my crash/rack tom stand.

Bonzo posted:

Racks are great for home setup but as others have mentioned, are a nightmare to transport and setup. Unless you have lots of stage room you're not going to be able to fit everything.

Also for some reason I had a loving drum cage back in the 80s and required me to hire someone to help me set it up anytime I played out. And yes I had 4 or 5 rack toms, roto toms, a poo poo ton of cymbals (two chinas for gently caress's sake) and all the other crap that went along with 80s metal.

I remember back in the early 2000s, my band played a local festival and when I got to the gig, I saw them assembling a massive drum riser. It was easily a 12x8 foot riser. Later in the day, I saw the same guy that was assembling it proceed to set up his massive 16 piece drum kit on it... I think he even had a gong.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
As someone who's played a lot of shows and tours: yeah gently caress rack bars. I did that a couple times in my early 20s and never ever ever ever again.

Three toms up on just stands is easy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Here's some crazy poo poo: When I played timpani for Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps back in 2005, I had a drum rack with a couple toms, 2-3 cymbals, and a sound plate. So in additional to having to lug around 5 big rear end drums all summer, I was also responsible for this goddamned drum rack that could only be setup AFTER the drums were perfectly positioned. No roadies or pit crew, just me and the rest of the front ensemble members, who also had all their own big heavy poo poo to lug around (4.6 octave marimbas, vibraphones, a loving set of chimes, a sound system, the list goes on and on) And we moved locations anywhere from 1-4 times a day.

It gets worse: we had TWO timpanists, and the other timpanist also had 5 drums and a drum rack.

That summer was a logistical nightmare and, if I'm being honest, I hardly got to play the drum rack during the show at all ;_;

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

timp posted:

Here's some crazy poo poo: When I played timpani for Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps back in 2005, I had a drum rack with a couple toms, 2-3 cymbals, and a sound plate. So in additional to having to lug around 5 big rear end drums all summer, I was also responsible for this goddamned drum rack that could only be setup AFTER the drums were perfectly positioned. No roadies or pit crew, just me and the rest of the front ensemble members, who also had all their own big heavy poo poo to lug around (4.6 octave marimbas, vibraphones, a loving set of chimes, a sound system, the list goes on and on) And we moved locations anywhere from 1-4 times a day.

It gets worse: we had TWO timpanists, and the other timpanist also had 5 drums and a drum rack.

That summer was a logistical nightmare and, if I'm being honest, I hardly got to play the drum rack during the show at all ;_;

this is why I love sampling and I don't get all the "b...b..But you're using MACHINES!!" mentality comes from. Bands have been using backing tracks since the early 80s so they can sound decent on stage. Except now you don't have to have numerous keyboards back stage to trigger everything. Even Rush, who most drummers consider a pinnacle group, have been using so many tricks to play live they might as well include board ops and techs as members of the band.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I bet you had a hell of a lot of fun though! That sounds awesome.

I like how it was the standard to have a crazy set like that. Now when I bring 3 toms to a show the sound guy is scrambling to find another mic :lol:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

fzA455 posted:

I bet you had a hell of a lot of fun though! That sounds awesome.

I like how it was the standard to have a crazy set like that. Now when I bring 3 toms to a show the sound guy is scrambling to find another mic :lol:

yeah I did. I'd hit the pawn shops around the end of each month to find more stuff to add to it. A friend of mine worked in a studio and they had some thrash band come in with a drum set that would make Terry Bozzio shake his head. I think it took them almost 3 days and 30+ mics to prep for recording.

I was kinda revealed though when Nirvana hit and everyone decided that a four piece, hi-hat, ride and a crash was enough and I'm glad to see that trend has stuck.

But yeah, for a while no one would look at you unless you had a massive kit. I was soooooooooo glad when double bass pedals became a thing because tuning two bass drums to sound the same is not easy. If you look back at concert footage from that era you'll see that most kits only have one bass drum mic in use.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I remember playing some lovely clubs 15yrs ago and you’d see a pick up truck pull up to the venue with an assembled drum rack in the back. It was always a metal band.

Teenager me thought having 3 rack toms, two crashes, ride, hats, China and 3 splash cymbals was necessary. So glad I don’t lug all that anymore.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

So glad I don’t lug all that anymore.

For reals.

Show kit (minus the crash on the far right):

Home kit:
https://youtu.be/mZNipPFTWiw

Fuuuuuuuck hauling all that around anymore

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

My everything kit. The only thing ridiculous about it is the 20"x24" kick but it fits in the car so its all good.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah that's pretty much what I take to shows as well. And what up 24" kick buddy :hfive:

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Big kick boi reporting in, my 24x14 is just hanging out until I get the new wrap on it.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Yep 24 inch bass drum is a life changer. I switched to the one hanging tom years ago just because the cool kids were. But, I've never quite adjusted to the rack tom and then floor tom. It always seems like they're miles apart on fills. But setting two rack toms over a 24 inch bass drum? I dunno, they're up way too high!

I also love the thunder of two floors (16 and 18 inch). That'd be getting to four toms and poo poo when I just need to be practicing with a metronome, and doing my rudiments and stuff. I've let things slip but I finally have time to play again.

The tape on the ride is stupid looking. I hit the cymbals really hard and they're super prominent of jam recordings. But the tape doesn't help. I'm just a hard hitter! :ohdear:

Speaking of things being bigger. I used to have an 8 inch deep maple snare and that thing was amazing. It went out of round though. However this Pearl Ultracast 14x6.5 I put die-cast hoops on doesn't do too bad. Definitely wanna maybe order a big rear end maple snare... Dunno.

I also broke my 24 inch China. Bummer. Every drummer needs a 24 inch China.

Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. I couldn't imagine trying to keep two bass drums in tune close enough and whatever other logistical problems that offers. That only works if you only have your drums in a studio and don't tour. Or, you're big-time and pay people to set that poo poo up and tune em up.

e: Also I think those are my 14 inch hi-hats. I gotta put my 15 inch ones on there if not. Just reminded myself to check next time I'm out there!

e2: Also I may take pictures next time I'm there and see if anyone thinks I should set the rack tom/snare differently. Sometimes I can put the snare in a position that feels comfortable at first but causes pain in my left wrist. I've definitely injured my left wrist over the years by slamming the poo poo out of the snare. But it only seems to flare up if I'm hitting at certain angles. Hard to explain.

e3: Think this is worth $200? My previous cheap 14x8 snare was also an 8 lug. My current snare is a 10 lug. Is that an important consideration when applying die-cast hoops and cranking tuning very tight?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Mode...sQAAOSw3qZa5ikJ

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2018

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

fzA455 posted:

e2: Also I may take pictures next time I'm there and see if anyone thinks I should set the rack tom/snare differently. Sometimes I can put the snare in a position that feels comfortable at first but causes pain in my left wrist. I've definitely injured my left wrist over the years by slamming the poo poo out of the snare. But it only seems to flare up if I'm hitting at certain angles. Hard to explain.

I'm interested...I think I can help you. Post pics of a few different angles of the snare that cause pain, a few different angles of the rack tom that cause pain, a few different angles of both that don't cause pain; and if possible, brief videos of you playing in each configuration.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm looking at getting an SPD-SX. Besides a stand, what will I need, and is there anything I need to know?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm looking at getting an SPD-SX. Besides a stand, what will I need, and is there anything I need to know?

X-post in one of the electro-trap threads? Not trying to be a dick, but they use stuff like that a lot and will probably be your best source here.

Also. I want a maple 14x8 snare and I don't want to compromise. Trying to get in contact with drummaker dot com. I want the thickest shell possible but also want to make sure I order everything properly. I'm not handy, so basically everything pre-cut and pre-drilled to accommodate lugs and also snare parts.

Anyway, emailed em again and we'll see. My 14x6.5 Pearl Ultracast (aluminum) brings the pain, but I need a 14x8 wooden monster tuned up tight. Huge crack but huge amount of body too.

I kinda wish I had Craviotto money... But nope.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are some good exercises to un-stupid my left foot? I'm trying to learn this Senses Fail song that's pretty straightforward on hand and has sections with steady 1/4 notes on the HH pedal, but the bass drum is swinging around on &'s and ah's and it brings my other 3 limbs crashing to a halt. I wasn't even an emo kid, at this point I'm practicing the song out of pure spite for how uncoordinated it makes me feel <:mad:>

Here's the first bit, as I have it interpreted out from the Rock Band chart:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

What are some good exercises to un-stupid my left foot? I'm trying to learn this Senses Fail song that's pretty straightforward on hand and has sections with steady 1/4 notes on the HH pedal, but the bass drum is swinging around on &'s and ah's and it brings my other 3 limbs crashing to a halt. I wasn't even an emo kid, at this point I'm practicing the song out of pure spite for how uncoordinated it makes me feel <:mad:>

Here's the first bit, as I have it interpreted out from the Rock Band chart:

This actually looks like a good way to work on your coordination! If it's still to challenging, loop a measure of the hands + left foot, then play a bass drum on the downbeat of 1 for 4 measures, then the downbeat of 2, then 3, then 4. Then play it on the ah of 1, ah of 2, etc.. If any are particularly challenging then just loop them until they're feel comfortable.

As an aside, if you're going notate kit in one voice, make sure all the stems are pointing up. The standard way of notating it though is hands up/feet down, since it's a clear divide in the part, coincidentally lining up with how we think of our bodies (hands and feet).

Also I gave the intro a quick listen and where you have triplets the bass drum is playing 1 +a (just 16ths), and I don't think there are quarters in the hihat foot--they're not part of the style, and they'd be inaudible in that section anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I may try that as an exercise of trying to keep time with left foot and just doing rotating counts of downbeats on 1, 2, 3, and 4 with right foot. And I do go back and forth sometimes with whether or not something is one-is-ah or one-ee-and-ah, it can be a really subtle difference that only comes out when you're actually playing the song. Playing it as 16th notes still sounds good in my head, I'll probably adjust the chart accordingly since those are the only triplet notes I have noted in the whole song, probably a bit of a red flag.

Rock Band doesn't have a HH pedal, but I probably added those in after watching the band perform the song, like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JRdaxuBAEs

Most drummers vamp it up a little bit when playing live vs the studio track but he seems pretty consistent with the HH pedal during the verses. Like I said at at this point it's more out of pride/spite than anything I'm trying to learn it the 'harder' way :shobon:

e: remembered how to count triplets :downsrim:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 4, 2018