Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tried like hell not to make a triple-post. However, Cleveland Mark Blakemore's magnum opus Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar has been denied from the GOG storefront.

There is a 20 page thread about it full of Blakemore's deep thoughts on the situation at the RPGCodex forums.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gog-turns-down-grimoire-for-publishing.126050/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Huh, maybe GOG isn't so bad after all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Tried like hell not to make a triple-post. However, Cleveland Mark Blakemore's magnum opus Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar has been denied from the GOG storefront.

There is a 20 page thread about it full of Blakemore's deep thoughts on the situation at the RPGCodex forums.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gog-turns-down-grimoire-for-publishing.126050/

It is weird they wouldn't publish it, since an RPG with retro graphics and inscrutable mechanics is like exactly their wheelhouse. But I doubt the company that keeps getting in trouble because their PR department keeps making horribly insensitive jokes has been infested by SJWs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skwirl posted:

It is weird they wouldn't publish it, since an RPG with retro graphics and inscrutable mechanics is like exactly their wheelhouse. But I doubt the company that keeps getting in trouble because their PR department keeps making horribly insensitive jokes has been infested by SJWs.

They just didn't want to get caught on the record telling Cleve that his game was rather a bit poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

jesus gently caress, so this is how bad rpgcodex is

Possibly Hitler posted:

Blacks have been, and always will be, utterly politically incorrect. The only time they pretend to care is when some white guy (jew from new york and/or california) pays them to.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
ok what the gently caress is this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah, uh, I heard it was bad, but I didn't expect to see

quote:

(((Steam)))
in a post there and I probably should have. Yikes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like every other game forum besides this one is just all out nazis at this point

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Think it's seeing the low activation numbers/low userbase for Grimoire being available only at steam for 1.5 years, and wondering if it's worth the hassle dealing with Blakemore in a financial/business sense, especially since GOG has a fraction of the sales/staff of Valve'sSteam storefront.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

nerdz posted:

I feel like every other game forum besides this one is just all out nazis at this point

I would swear that RPG codex has gotten a lot worse as the people more and more embraced their reputation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gladi posted:

I would swear that RPG codex has gotten a lot worse as the people more and more embraced their reputation.

That's how it pretty much always goes. Once you start allowing a bit of fash, they start chasing away everyone else and converting your forums.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
RPG codex has always been kinda bad, but it definitely leaned into the lovely rather than away from it. It’s interesting to compare to SA. When I registered on the codex back in like 2008 I don’t think it was any worse than SA. That changed at some point.

That said it’s still one of the only places out there for conversations about really niche RPGs. The elminage gothic thread is basically a crazy dude talking to himself and then a bunch of others coming in as they try the game. It’s weird but that crazy dude is a great resource.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Jordan7hm posted:

RPG codex has always been kinda bad, but it definitely leaned into the lovely rather than away from it. It’s interesting to compare to SA. When I registered on the codex back in like 2008 I don’t think it was any worse than SA. That changed at some point.

That said it’s still one of the only places out there for conversations about really niche RPGs. The elminage gothic thread is basically a crazy dude talking to himself and then a bunch of others coming in as they try the game. It’s weird but that crazy dude is a great resource.

Hang out in my Grid Cartographer thread - it's so dry and focused, it manages to repel both lovely *and* not-lovely people alike!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Hang out in my Grid Cartographer thread - it's so dry and focused, it manages to repel both lovely *and* not-lovely people alike!

Yeah I think I’ve posted in there before.

There, the roguelike thread, and the crpgaddict thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I posted on the Codex for most of a decade, I eventually got bored because they no longer had any sense of humour and it was just tiresome.

There are still really good and insightful posters there, I don't like when people dismiss anything that comes out of the site outright. It's become increasingly difficult to parse, though, and even the interestingly insane people have slowly been replaced by incredibly boring Nazis.

Also the reviews and news items have been getting increasingly inconsistent, they were in a good spot for a while when Crooked Bee was behind a lot of that side of things.

I mean people sent me death threats and doxxed me for posting freestyle jerkcity rhymes on the grounds that I was normalizing faggotry and while it was initially funny it got a bit weird

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 16, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I posted on the Codex for most of a decade, I eventually got bored because they no longer had any sense of humour and it was just tiresome.

There are still really good and insightful posters there, I don't like when people dismiss anything that comes out of the site outright. It's become increasingly difficult to parse, though, and even the interestingly insane people have slowly been replaced by incredibly boring Nazis.

Also the reviews and news items have been getting increasingly inconsistent, they were in a good spot for a while when Crooked Bee was behind a lot of that side of things.

I mean people sent me death threats and doxxed me for posting freestyle jerkcity rhymes on the grounds that I was normalizing faggotry and while it was initially funny it got a bit weird

See the thing is like, there's good and insightful posters in a lot of places WITHOUT nazis too, so why would you subject yourself to them?

On a less political topic, are there any good recent-ish RPGs that are kind of in the vein of a Spiderweb Software game? Especially the exile/avernum series; stuff that's party-based and more or less open to explore and kind of pick up the plot at your own pace.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The funniest thing about the RPGCodex Grimoire GOG rejection thread (besides Cleve's later in-thread relevations about how much GOG really contacted him) is that someone posted the then-current GOG wishlist vote count for adding Grimoire on page 5 (612 votes). 8 days later, and after much ranting, the current Grimoire GOG wishlist vote count is a staggering 688 votes.

RPGCodex had a few good threads for niche games no-one else seemed to know existed (like Star Rangers(aka the series with more game modes than Transformers have alt-forms)). but it got very ech-chambery, then went through a relaunch (or 2?) that seemed to drive away most of sane people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

"Normalizing faggotry"? What is that even supposed to mean? Did you get messages from insane people? I mean, I guess you already answered that question, huh

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Libluini posted:

"Normalizing faggotry"? What is that even supposed to mean? Did you get messages from insane people? I mean, I guess you already answered that question, huh

You start with a Big Gay Eigenvector, and then you do some linear algebra.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My only regret in life is not asking the RPGCodex guy at the Wasteland 2 release party if he was a nazi

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

My only regret in life is not asking the RPGCodex guy at the Wasteland 2 release party if he was a nazi
nah, they sent MRY, who's a really cool guy and relatively normal human being - also the developer of Primordia! fantastic game even though point and clicks aren't really my thing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My tolerance for internet poo poo like that just keeps getting lower as I get older. Life's too short to spend any time dealing with crazy internet culture nonsense. I don't need any number of nazis in my life whether ironic nazis or shitpost nazis or just regular nazis.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah, they sent MRY, who's a really cool guy and relatively normal human being - also the developer of Primordia! fantastic game even though point and clicks aren't really my thing.
O.K. now that is hilarious, especially since Brother None gave me a copy of Primordia around that point and now I wonder if those two things are related.

Also yes hanging out in Facebook Goon groups in the early 2010s actually reduced my tolerance for ironic racism to zero.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm honestly kind of surprised GOG wouldn't want Grimoire. Just put it up and ignore it, that's what all the customers are going to do.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

But then they’d have to deal with Cleve at least once.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

GoG does curate quite a bit and I doubt Grimoire sold very well. Pretty straight forward if you consider rear end in a top hat trouble making dev with a poor selling game on a service that doesn't want to be flooded in bad games.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Playing Pillars of Eternity 1, is there a significant difficulty spike as you enter Act III or is my lovely play finally coming around to bite me in the rear end? I plowed through the first two acts with very little issue but even in just the first area of Act III, every encounter is your party vs 6-8 enemies who have significant numbers of resistances/immunities and the battles are taking forever. Does it keep going like this or am I just doing something wrong?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

My money is on GoG's gatekeepers being people who have encountered Cleve before and know enough that if they let the crazy in then they'll be dealing with him forever.

God knows that if I was ever approached by Cleve for anything at this point that I'd slam the door in his face.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Dunbar posted:

Playing Pillars of Eternity 1, is there a significant difficulty spike as you enter Act III or is my lovely play finally coming around to bite me in the rear end? I plowed through the first two acts with very little issue but even in just the first area of Act III, every encounter is your party vs 6-8 enemies who have significant numbers of resistances/immunities and the battles are taking forever. Does it keep going like this or am I just doing something wrong?

Are you in Elmshore? There were some weirdly hard fights there, at least I had a hard time. I gave up on the game for a while at that point, but it is worth catching up on sidequests or doing the Endless Paths for a while. Alternately just run past them since you can enter the next city on the other side of the map.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Yeah, Elmshore. 4-5 fights in the area and every one of them was harder than almost anything I've done in the game to that point. I've done most of the side stuff available to me except for the White March and the big battle at your keep so there isn't much left for me to try to use to level up. Could do some of the Endless Paths though I guess.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Yeah, Elmshore. 4-5 fights in the area and every one of them was harder than almost anything I've done in the game to that point. I've done most of the side stuff available to me except for the White March and the big battle at your keep so there isn't much left for me to try to use to level up. Could do some of the Endless Paths though I guess.

Do the expansions now and come back and finish up act 3 last.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Started playing Geneforge 2 for the first time.
Playing as a non-committal Shaper until I meet all factions and crack open more sweet sweet cannisters.
Really enjoyed GF1 as a "summons are expendable bullets" Shaper, Agent and Guardian playstyles aren't my thing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dove back into World of Xeen after a long gap and I thought I'd be pretty lost but it's surprising how quickly I managed to stumble on the old threads of what I'd been doing and got right back into making progress. The Xeen duology, other than some kinda bleh combat and some Might and Magic-isms that never felt great to me, hits a real sweet spot for me in just giving me a big ol' world to explore with little dungeons all over and quests to find.

Side question for anyone who played it, I've heard people say that you can head right on over to Darkside pretty early on without much trouble, but I've been mainlining Clouds because I don't need two worlds to explore at the same time. Should I consider poking my head into the other world for a while or just finish the main quest of Clouds before starting?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Glagha posted:

Dove back into World of Xeen after a long gap and I thought I'd be pretty lost but it's surprising how quickly I managed to stumble on the old threads of what I'd been doing and got right back into making progress. The Xeen duology, other than some kinda bleh combat and some Might and Magic-isms that never felt great to me, hits a real sweet spot for me in just giving me a big ol' world to explore with little dungeons all over and quests to find.

Side question for anyone who played it, I've heard people say that you can head right on over to Darkside pretty early on without much trouble, but I've been mainlining Clouds because I don't need two worlds to explore at the same time. Should I consider poking my head into the other world for a while or just finish the main quest of Clouds before starting?

The main issue with checking out Darkside early is that if you go outside the starting town, you'll get overpowered for Clouds really fast; Clouds has an expected endgame level of about 20, while Darkside's is close to 100, so the power curves are obviously pretty different between the two games. If you don't mind that, then go for it. Darkside's early-game content is balanced for a party of around level 5 (which is the level new characters start at if you create them in Darkside), although it's possible to do it with a fresh level-1 party. On the other hand, if you do decide to wait until you've finished Clouds to start Darkside, the game will catch up to your power level pretty quickly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, I got both games back in the day, but got Darkside first and finished the main quest.

Naturally, when I finally found a copy of Clouds, I installed and merged the games and curbstomed everything in the lightside. :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Started playing Geneforge 2 for the first time.
Playing as a non-committal Shaper until I meet all factions and crack open more sweet sweet cannisters.
Really enjoyed GF1 as a "summons are expendable bullets" Shaper, Agent and Guardian playstyles aren't my thing.

I'm finally playing 5 after playing 2 and 4 back to back and getting extremely burned out a few years ago.

Such a cozy series, there's something comforting about going into a new area and knowing what you're getting that I can't really explain. Playing as a full shaper for the first time since 1 and hunting down canisters/trainers and balancing essence is pretty compelling even if the combat itself boils down to clicking on things.

No idea who I'm going to side with, currently heading to meet Ghaldring and leaning towards the Trakovites as the only group who aren't completely batshit. I hope I get to kill Alwan (fascist) and Astoria (liberal) at the very least.

Thinking of picking up some of the Avernums on the current Spiderweb steam sale. Is the new remake-of-a-remake trilogy the best bet or are the old ones better?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The original Avernum trilogy was kinda clunky even by Spiderweb standards; I'd recommend you either go for the new trilogy or go 100% old-school and get the Exile trilogy running in a virtual machine.

Regarding Geneforge 5's route options, if you want to kill Shaper Council members, Ghaldring's route is the only one that lets you do that. Despite their differences, the Councillors will all treat you as an enemy if you attack one of their own, and the Trakovites have plans that require the Councillors to be alive and willing to negotiate with them.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Been playing Geneforge 2 mostly blind. Looked up Praw's location because I found his pigs/forgot which 3 locations of medab he was in/got tired of chasing down mobile serviles in the outer regions of medab, but that's it. Best moment in Geneforge 2 so far has been defeating the Fort Muck attack on the 1st try/unrested with damaged summons. Noticed that GF2 merchants will reset gold balance sometimes, maybe after quest completion?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thinking of picking up some of the Avernums on the current Spiderweb steam sale. Is the new remake-of-a-remake trilogy the best bet or are the old ones better?

Thuryl posted:

The original Avernum trilogy was kinda clunky even by Spiderweb standards; I'd recommend you either go for the new trilogy or go 100% old-school and get the Exile trilogy running in a virtual machine.

If Larry or anyone wants an easier way to play Exile 1/2/3/Blades of, I did find some packaged version of those that will run natively on a 64-bit OS. Mind you, I've only tested the on Win7, but they work flawlessly for me there even after many hours of play. Given that Jeff now gives those games away for free on his site, I doubt that he would have a problem with someone else making them more user-friendly and giving them away for free on another site. I'll leave it to individual opinion as to whether this is acceptable or not.

Still wondering why he pretends like the original Nethergate ever existed, but some mysteries must be left unsolved, I fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

If Larry or anyone wants an easier way to play Exile 1/2/3/Blades of, I did find some packaged version of those that will run natively on a 64-bit OS. Mind you, I've only tested the on Win7, but they work flawlessly for me there even after many hours of play. Given that Jeff now gives those games away for free on his site, I doubt that he would have a problem with someone else making them more user-friendly and giving them away for free on another site. I'll leave it to individual opinion as to whether this is acceptable or not.

Still wondering why he pretends like the original Nethergate ever existed, but some mysteries must be left unsolved, I fancy.

:justpost: