Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

coffeetable posted:

go the whole hog on converting libraries from paper repositories to places where people who are not comfortable with this internet thing can be helped out

E-books licenses are terrible value for money, and this is intentional on the part of the publisher, because they want you to get the stuff you do want bundled in with crap you don't for a higher price. One publisher implemented a policy where an e-book could only be borrowed 26 times before the licence expired. They'd got some survey or other to 'prove' that library books this was the average number of loans before a book fell apart and had to be replaced. Which is nonsense, but the thought that someone would get that 27th loan without the publisher being paid was clearly keeping them up at night.

And what happens to all the non-book services that libraries offer? Not to mention it's really hard to run mobile and prison libraries online (they are local authority libraries too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reason number ℵ why copyright is dogshit and needs fully replacing with something fit for purpose like guillotines

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

I don't know why they'd vote against a system that would likely make them perpetual kingmakers.

Perpetual unless anything about the balance of uk politics changes, yes. there may be some in the party with memories that stretch further back than 2015.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Map that doesn't cherry pick states in the EU to paint a skewed picture:

Wealth across the EU
GDP per person as a percentage of EU average (purchasing power standard) in 2016

Source: Eurostat, Gross domestic product (GDP) in purchasing power standard (PPS) per inhabitant at current market prices by NUTS 2 level regions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So it still shows Lincolnshire and West Wales at the bottom end of the UK, along with Cornwall and Teeside.

e: Also shows Mazowieckie as not in the EU :raise:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That Italian Guy posted:

Wealth across the EU
GDP per person as a percentage of EU average (purchasing power standard) in 2016

Source: Eurostat, Gross domestic product (GDP) in purchasing power standard (PPS) per inhabitant at current market prices by NUTS 2 level regions.

that's kind of meaningless without a legend lol

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

JFairfax posted:

that's kind of meaningless without a legend lol

Since the area I live is as poor as poo poo, I'd guess redder is poorer, bluer is richer.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting v. angry at bad visualisations

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

Eurostat, apparently it's out of date now though, the UK only has 6 of the 10 poorest regions :toot:

In short, Luxembourg is a land of contrasts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe the UK shouldn't be in the EU.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Well his last one was a write-off

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Wealth across the EU

I find it hard to believe that Southern Ireland is somehow as prosperous as London.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JFairfax posted:

I mean, both maps are bad on their own to discuss about anything, it's just that this one has every single region instead of picking only a few selected ones.

Again, they're bad measurements for anything cause they are not taking into consideration the area/n. of people who live there for starters. Is a small red area with 20k people living in it is as important compared to a medium size yellow area with 10mil people? How many people in the "yellow" area live in conditions similar or worse compared to the people in the "red" area - but they don't register, cause the average GPD in the area is higher?

So, you can definitely say that some 50sq km in the middle of the countryside are poorer, on average, compared to 500sq km of a mixed urban/rural area...but what does that accomplish? It's comparing (blue) apples to oranges, as I said last time. There may be more people under the poverty line in a large yellow area than in a small red one.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Z the IVth posted:

I find it hard to believe that Southern Ireland is somehow as prosperous as London.

that's not really what the map is claiming to visualise

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Z the IVth posted:

I'm willing to bet Dublin counts for 95% of that figure, and it is a super wealthy city. London prices or higher on almost everything last time I was there.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Southern Ireland has 1/5 of the population of London. Most of its population is in Dublin, a city as expensive as London, with a tech bubble in it. There are in fact more people living in the small dot in Dublin than the rest of that blue area. Again, this kind of visualization is nonsense when trying to gauge how well off a certain area is, cause the boundaries are set out in an inconsistent way.

The previous map is even worse, cause it only displays the extremes without the mid values; and doesn't show how large each area is. Both maps are bad cause there is no normalization for n. of people living in an area.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 31, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

That Italian Guy posted:

Southern Ireland has 1/5 of the population of London. Most of its population is in Dublin, a city as expensive as London, with a tech bubble in it. There are in fact more people living in the small dot in Dublin than the rest of that blue area. Again, this kind of visualization is nonsense when trying to gauge how well off a certain area is, cause the boundaries are set out in an inconsistent way.
The whole point of the NUTS regions is to try and mark out standard areas for statistical analysis and the delivery of EU social grants and investment.

So ignoring that it'll probably be irrelevant in two weeks when we crash out no deal, it's useful for what it does, guiding EU investment for areas that have low GDP (PPS) per capita. Who then go on to vote leave anyway lol :suicide:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

The previous map is even worse, cause it only displays the extremes without the mid values; and doesn't show how large each area is. Both maps are bad cause there is no normalization for n. of people living in an area.

So why bother posting the map then?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
inner london - east (uki4) has a pps-adjusted per-capita output of 50,500, relative to southern ireland (ie05) of 63,000. this makes sense because it's:

Hackney and Newham UKI41
Tower Hamlets UKI42
Haringey and Islington UKI43
Lewisham and Southwark UKI44
Lambeth UKI45

which contains a wide spectrum of income ranges, one might say. Outer London is even lower - 38,600, 26,900, and 21,700

of course inner london - west (uki3) has 188,000, but it's also really teeny on the map...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

So why bother posting the map then?

Cause the first map shows how a lot of the poorest regions in "northern" europe are in the UK...but it picks "northern" regions excluding the real poor ones (like poland, latvia, estonia and lithuania) while including regions that are defo not northern (like Austria). It also doesn't display the size of these regions. The second map at least has a full display of both and the picture is quite different.

Guavanaut posted:

The whole point of the NUTS regions is to try and mark out standard areas for statistical analysis and the delivery of EU social grants and investment.
This is interesting, and I admit I have no idea about most of the local government division for other countries in EU, but for several of them the "borders" for each area are 100% based on administrative regions/counties. So they are not broken down based on any real "meaningful" way for this kind of discussion - I guess the EU uses existing regions/counties to calculate grants cause it makes sense since they are probably given out by the local administration...for other countries, though (IE: Ireland) the division is...weird.

For example, compare the way France is broken down compared to the UK:

That single large orange region in France could have several small red and several small yellow/blue regions in it if it was divided the same way a similar sized chunk of land is divided in on the UK map. Not knowing population levels is, again, a problem...but you can't really use these maps to say "the UK has a lot of poor areas compared to europe" in a meaningful way, the same way you can't say "southern ireland is the richest area in europe". If you'd wall off a small dot around Dublin the rest of that area would be as orange as the rest of Ireland. If the areas in central UK were all merged into an area the size of NI, they would be "yellower" than NI - or not, depending on which portions you merge together.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 31, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Katt posted:

Pre WW2 Poland really gets too many breaks from history. To say that the USSR failed to beat them in the Polish-Soviet war is unfair.

Poland at the time was a military dictatorship and it began an invasion of Ukraine to conquer lands. Poland even offered the UK to march on Moscow and topple the Soviet regime in exchange for a payment of 1 billion pounds. The Soviets stopped the Polish invasion and then in turn moved deeper into Polish lands. This counter-offensive petered out and they were eventually pushed back into Soviet territory.

Poland was such an rear end in a top hat country at the time that when Hitler wanted to destroy Czechoslovakia. He went to Poland and told them that they should make claims on Czechoslovakian lands which would in turn boost the legitimacy of German land claims. Poland of course agreed because free lands yeah? Czechoslovakia was then picked apart and ceased to exist as a country. This despite the fact that Poland itself had lands that Germany had a strong claim on.

Finland also got away pretty leniently considering their participation in the siege of Leningrad, that they made a war of conquest into lands that was never owned by Finland in the first place and that one of the conditions of them joining the invasion of Russia was that Germany annexed huge swathes of Russian lands to form a border region between Finland and Russia.

All this when German and Nazi character was well established in the media. They also made a deal to begin their own invasion of Russia with a 12 day delay. Because with large amounts of German forces posted in Finland at the time and German air craft making strikes against Russia from Finish airbases. They knew that the Soviets would retaliate against Finish targets and they wanted to use these attacks to trick their own people into believing that the invasion of Russia was just Finland defending themselves against renewed Soviet aggression.

Lots of weird, possibly Tankie-based, inaccuracies here:
- The Polish-Soviet War took place between 1919-1921. Poland's government wasn't a military dictatorship until Pilsudski's populist coup in 1926. Prior to that, he was just Chief of State, and there was a working Parliament (Sejm) which was dominated by a party that opposed Pilsudsky.

- The Polish-Soviet War had very little to do with Poland wanting to "conquer lands". It was fought over a region of westernmost Ukraine and Belorussia that was in the process of being invaded by the USSR, and to dull the USSRs westward invasion of newly-formed East European states.

- The context of the war is important. In 1918, Poland gained its independence for the first time in 123 years of German, Austrian and Russian bondage (as did many other East European states, with borders that were in flux). There was no real interest in Poland in rejoining some new Russian empire.

- In November 1918 (!), the nascent Soviet Union (while still fighting the Civil War) formulated a plan (Target Vistula) and began a westward invasion of East Europe, marching on Estonia, Belorussia, Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine. Lenin's intent was to conquer all the newly-independent East European states (regardless of whether they had democratic governments or not) and add them to the USSR (well, the RSFSR), and to eventually militarily support the German and Austrian worker revolutions, expanding the revolution into central Europe. Poland was definitely going to be a stepping stone in the process of that westward expansion (how else were they going to get to Germany and Austria?). Lenin believed that none of these new governments had any legitimacy and didn't even expect much resistance. Along the way, the new Soviet Western Army clashed with local self-defense forces and Polish self-defense forces that had been sent to assist these new governments (particularly in Lithuania and Belarus). Eventual, full-scale conflict was more or less inevitable.

- By early 1919, there were clashes between the Polish army and the Red army in western Belarus, Latvia and Ukraine. However, Poland wasn't interested in conquering the USSR, but rather halting the westward advance of Soviet forces into Poland and establishing a buffer zone between Poland and the USSR. When Pilsudsky realized that the White Army under Denikin was doing well against the Red army near Moscow (and that Denikin had no interest in assuring Polish independence), he halted operations in Belarus and let the Red army focus on defeating the Whites.

- Poland's war also wasn't a unilateral effort. Between 1919 and 1920, the governments of Latvia and Belarus had asked for Polish assistance in repelling Soviet forces (and Latvia saw the Poles as liberators). Negotiations broken down with Lithuania over Vilnius (a Lithuanian city with a Polish-majority located within the bounds of Lithuania). After defeating the Ukrainian Nationalist Front in 1919, Poland allied itself with Petliura's Ukranian People's Republic to attempt to push the Soviets out of Ukraine. These alliances were part of Pilsudski's plan to form the Intermarium, a voluntary federation of East European states to counter both Central European and Russian/Soviet imperialism.

- By the end of 1920, the Polish attempt to liberate Kiev from Soviet forces and the Soviet attempt to conquer Warsaw had both failed. The USSR sued for peace when they were pushed back into Ukraine by the "Miracle at the Vistula". The Soviets conceded pretty much all of the lost territory, but the National Democrats (the leading party in the Sejm) opposed Pilsudski's idea of the Intermarium and gave back large swathes of it to the Soviets under the Peace of Riga. The resulting partition of Belarus and Ukraine weren't great, but they offered some form of independence for those states until the subsequent Soviet invasion of Poland. Poles generally didn't persecute ethnic minorities in their territories to the same extent that the Soviets ended up persecuting ethnic Poles, Ukrainians and Belorussians (see the massacres of Poles in 1937/1938).

- In regards to Poland's treatment of Czechoslovakia, you kind of missed the part where the actual "partition" was the return to Poland of the border area of Zaolzie that Czechoslovakia had itself annexed from Poland during the Soviet-Polish war. Poland didn't participate in the invasion. In retrospect, should Poland have not pressured Czechoslovakia to surrender to Germany and joined Czechoslovakia in resisting German invasion? Yes. Were there a lot of hosed up political reasons, previous conflicts and empty promises (particularly from the garbage and indecisive political structures of England and France) that muddied this decision? Also Yes.

I have a feeling you don't actually care about the history though... and your description of Finland's position vis-a-vis the USSR is also fundamentally skewed. Please read some history. You can be a leftist (including a "workers should own the means of production" leftist), without having to defend the USSR's various imperialist misadventures.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 31, 2019

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

ThomasPaine posted:

bullet train from Shanghai to Urumqi in the far western desert of China

This is 4000km and does not exist.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That Italian Guy posted:

Cause the first map shows how a lot of the poorest regions in "northern" europe are in the UK...but it picks "northern" regions excluding the real poor ones (like poland, latvia, estonia and lithuania) while including regions that are defo not northern (like Austria). It also doesn't display the size of these regions. The second map at least has a full display of both and the picture is quite different.

This is interesting, and I admit I have no idea about most of the local government division for other countries in EU, but for several of them the "borders" for each area are 100% based on administrative regions/counties. So they are not broken down based on any real "meaningful" way for this kind of discussion - I guess the EU uses existing regions/counties to calculate grants cause it makes sense since they are probably given out by the local administration...for other countries, though (IE: Ireland) the division is...weird.

For example, compare the way France is broken down compared to the UK:

That single large orange region in France could have several small red and several small yellow/blue regions in it if it was divided the same way a similar sized chunk of land is divided in on the UK map. Not knowing population levels is, again, a problem...but you can't really use these maps to say "the UK has a lot of poor areas compared to europe" in a meaningful way, the same way you can't say "southern ireland is the richest area in europe". If you'd wall off a small dot around Dublin the rest of that area would be as orange as the rest of Ireland. If the areas in central UK were all merged into an area the size of NI, they would be "yellower" than NI - or not, depending on which portions you merge together.

It is actually based on population, albeit with some leeway (about as much as more than US congressional districts electoral areas, so quite a lot really). That particular part of France just doesn't have that many people living in it.

e:
Here are the rules for it:

quote:

Level - Minimum - Maximum
NUTS 1 - 3 million - 7 million
NUTS 2 - 800,000 - 3 million
NUTS 3 - 150,000 - 800,000

But within those bounds countries can do whatever they want; though it should be noted that for rural regions it is more financially advantageous to be distinct rather than lumped into a single more populous one, so generally they tend towards the lower bound of that scale.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 31, 2019

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

That Italian Guy posted:

Not knowing population levels is, again, a problem...

In this case it really is. Your UK region contains Leeds (pop ~750k) Manchester (pop ~550k), Sheffield (pop ~550k), Nottingham (~350k), and at least some part of Birmingham which is over 1m by itself. Your region in France has the population centres of Le Mans (~150k), Tours (~150k), Orleans (~100k), and Bourges (~70k).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Namtab posted:

Conservatives and to some extent Labour are against pr because they will lose out. Other parties are generally in favour

The SNP would lose out, though. Theyre a minority party in the UK as a whole but not in Scotland, which obviously is the bit they care about. They have exactly the same issue as the Conservatives and Labour here.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In Central London you have one guy making 10 million and 9 guys making 15k, clearly since the average is close to a million, London is the richest place ever

*achieves magical politician level power of statsbending*

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It is actually based on population, albeit with some leeway (about as much as more than US congressional districts, so quite a lot really). That particular part of France just doesn't have that many people living in it.

The UK map may be split on population...but France, Italy and Spain are not. Those boundaries are 100% based on existing regions/administrative territories:

If one part of the maps is split up based on population and the rest isn't, you can't really compare "regions" between them, cause the individual units have not been created based on the same principles. Especially if you end up with France being divided into 21 Regions and the UK being split in double that, having less territory and population. If you compare a few large areas (France) against a lot of small ones (UK), France is going to have more average values, and the UK more extremes, even if they had the same exact data.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 31, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That Italian Guy posted:

The UK map may be split on population...but France, Italy and Spain are not. Those boundaries are 100% based on existing regions/administrative territories:

If one part of the maps is split up based on population and the rest isn't, you can't really compare regions. Especially if you end up with France being divided into 21 Regions and the UK being split in double that, having less territory and population.

Again, it is split on population within the bounds set by the commission, which admittedly are somewhat wide. I get your point but that's the nature of it, you do get similar things with the congressional districts as mentioned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

The SNP would lose out, though. Theyre a minority party in the UK as a whole but not in Scotland, which obviously is the bit they care about. They have exactly the same issue as the Conservatives and Labour here.
This could be cool under PR.

Chesham and Amersham - SNP GAIN

Pochoclo posted:

In Central London you have one guy making 10 million and 9 guys making 15k, clearly since the average is close to a million, London is the richest place ever

*achieves magical politician level power of statsbending*
The solution for Lincolnshire is more external funding. The solution for London is pitchforks and the guillotine.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Again, it is split on population within the bounds set by the commission, which admittedly are somewhat wide. I get your point but that's the nature of it, you do get similar things with the congressional districts as mentioned.

Yeah I got this :) The only thing I'm questioning is to use the first map to claim "the UK has a lot of the poorest areas in northern EU" without several disclaimers, like:
- The UK has a lot more areas compared to the rest of the EU to begin with;
- The number and size of these areas are determined using different criteria depending on the country;
- Also we've forgot to add the real "poor" countries in northern europe, while adding some rich countries that are not northern

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you drill down to NUTS3 you get some significantly different results fyi with Germany not looking as rosy as on first appearances and with the richest London NUTS-3 level area (City of London and Camden) falling into fifth place behind Paris and Berlin

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 31, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

2 days after Brexit, I am proud to be British again.

I have ordered a blue passport.

I have paid £5.99 for a tomato.

I haven't heard any weird languages at the hospital (or been seen by a doc)

Life is good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I got this :) The only thing I'm questioning is to use the first map to claim "the UK has a lot of the poorest areas in northern EU" without several disclaimers, like:
That was the claim of the map, but never my claim, which was entirely that the North and Midlands (along with Wales, Cornwall, and NI) have most of the poor* areas, and that Lincolnshire** is among the worst hit.

Your map does a better job of that though, thanks.

*okay, low GDP (PPS) per capita areas.

**this would probably come out as coastal Lincs. on NUTS-3 owing to population, but a lot of the inland villages aren't so rich either.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ratjaculation posted:

I have paid £5.99 for a tomato.

You paid money with the Queen's face on it for a...foreign fruit. Sounds suspiciously anti-British to me. *writes article in the Express*.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Foreign vegetable. Since signing the comprehensive agricultural trade agreement with the USA, Nix v. Hedden applies and tomatoes aren't fruit.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JFairfax posted:

boy do I have the thread for you!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The solution for Lincolnshire is more external funding. The solution for London is pitchforks and the guillotine.

Given the provable fact that shittiness of politics is inversely proportional to population density, so the actual solution is the Reverse Pol Pot. If you live anywhere with a population under 500k, unless you're part of the ~1% of the population actually engaged in agricultural work, you should be forcibly relocated to a real city.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

X-axis: left: evil, right: good
Y-axis: bottom: integrated, top: angry
:vomarine:

Which one of the Scandi countries was this? Which one did it?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reverse Pol Pot.
Top Lop?

:black101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Foreign vegetable. Since signing the comprehensive agricultural trade agreement with the USA, Nix v. Hedden applies and tomatoes aren't fruit.

Citing foreign laws. Very anti-British. This is all going on the list, you know. :tinfoil:

Also :lol:, I do love it when the law is used to redefine specific objects for tax purposes, against a "technically proper" scientific definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:thermidor:

i.e. you were right to begin with