Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

UltraRed posted:

No more +1 willpower for dwarves :(

drat, the game would've been perfect but for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crap, I didn't see that init change. That sucks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

drat, the game would've been perfect but for this

...but it made them *special*.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The drive by shooting from a hang glider went successfully.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Delayed a pack of muses possessing the mage's neighbors by sassing them about how they were underperforming lazy shits who couldn't finish the job in the 4th age until our allied mage pack sik'd their giant spirit pack on them. Dragonslayer did not see fit to hook me up for my incredible act of stupidity.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 27, 2019

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In non RPG news..

I got the Shadowrun "Mr Johnson" game: Shadowrun Sprawl Ops. I backed.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/253087/shadowrun-sprawl-ops

Legendary edition, with the 5-6 player expansion, etcetera. It's beautiful. I want to play it.

If I only had a group to play it with.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Welp, about to get wiped by like 20 guys firing ares stun rifles which you only soak with willpower at me and apparently there's no penalty for firing at me while I'm grappling their boss.

edit: and apparently a null mage can still gently caress magic users while grappled?

edit 2: and they're teamwork test shooting us, which is why pr 4 guys are throwing 20+ dice to shoot

basically capturing their boss does nothing mechanically and the gm is using system mastery to murder us

e3: ally spirit with silence, yay

e4 silence does not affect barghest howls, apparently

e4.5: apparently these are pr 6 guys, and also the barghests have their own edge pool and the guards have cyber ears they turned off so are unaffected

e5: 0/11 stun boxes and 4/10 physical, still standing, pain editor/double elastin/platelet factories ahoy.

e6: apparently it was a nazi that hired us that didn't to take out a rival nazi who played it off as trog terrorism so everything was worse and also released footage of us when we weren't in disguise.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 1, 2019

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

That's a lot of dick moves packed into one session. The teamwork tests to help each-other shoot better is kinda cute though. Although technically yes you can do that, I like the idea of PR 4 wait PR 6 guys choosing a buddy or 2 to help him stabilize his gun for the perfect shot, all gripping it precariously. What are the "ares stun rifles which you only soak with willpower" btw?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man, even the lovely weapons from Street Lethal let you soak with Body + Willpower, and pretty much all the tech in Street Lethal is the worst that it's ever been in anything ever.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Sonic screech rifle, pg 26 of run and gun. They also inflict nausea but I bought that gastrostimulator thing for my (mostly) biosam*)

quote:

The Damage Resistance Test uses Willpower instead of Body
and ignores all standard armor. Damper earware (p. 454, SR5)
provides +2 bonus dice to the resistance test. A Hush or Silence
spell reduces the DV by –1 per hit on the Spellcasting Test.
Targets hit by a beam suffer the effects of disorientation and
nause

I mean, i understand where the gm is coming from, bullets would've mostly pinged of my soaky sam and the murder adept. He started just setting off grenades on his chest because it was a quicker and safer way to deal with the mob around us. At least we dropped a blight dmso grenade in the hole we smashed through the anime con on the floor above before jumping in that neutralized the nazi mages.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 2, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Some days I get the idea that I should just find a public shadowrun group off of roll20 or something, your posts help stop that ron, thanks :v:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I feel good about that but also really bad?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I have decided to try to get back into this just for a bit (yes I know) and my second run throws 2 dragons in direct combat with the promise of a third on the way in part 2 of the run, also my techno came 2 boxes from death from a single data spike.

I am not quite sure how to feel about this but I will see this run to the bitter god drat end.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I mean, like, bigass fully grown great dragons, the sapient and smart kind that run the world? Or lower level more animal-ish medium dragons that defend their eggs and eat fishing boats on some occasions?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Goons Are Great posted:

I mean, like, bigass fully grown great dragons, the sapient and smart kind that run the world? Or lower level more animal-ish medium dragons that defend their eggs and eat fishing boats on some occasions?

Either way, killing three dragons in one run will give you quite the reputation if you survive.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gort posted:

Either way, killing three dragons in one run will give you quite the reputation if you survive.

Yeah and even if it's the more critter-like dragons, usually dragons are not insanely happy about metahumans going after their species, no matter the context. Sounds like whatever they are getting paid for that run, it's not merely enough.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I've been playing Shadowrun (a version that inhabits a nebulous setting space between 3e and 4e) using Savage Worlds. After getting hold of the Adventure Edition of Savage Worlds I was unsuccessful in convincing my players to convert to the new system...so I went ahead and wrote a 200+ page conversion doc for playing Shadowrun with Savage Worlds AE because I apparently have nothing better to do. So, in the hopes that someone might get something out of it and wants to play Shadowrun with something a bit slimmer and more action-focused I'll go ahead and leave this here:

Savage Shadowrun

Also, if anyone wants to see some highlights of my team's pink mohawk shenanigans, those are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gD4OeHQZ_4aKZXks8e3J2lanOGY63ksgCyyTfjXKMZw/edit?usp=sharing

Session 22 is a personal favorite with a wonderful example of lateral problem solving. The players never once set foot on the construction site they were meant to sabotage.

quote:

*Team does some research and discovers the hangouts of a colony of entropic spirits called Boggles. They’ve got a love for funky food.
*Food carts for stinky tofu and lutfisk are set up outside the construction site, luring the boggles to the area and keeping them around. Modest payments are made for the repairs and food.
*Eventually the boggles start to catch on and negotiate for more, first a cartload of durian fruit and then 20 pounds of highly illegal casu marzu.
*Once the magical security on the site gets too strong for the boggles to handle the team has to find something stronger and make contact with Crazy Eddie, a junkyard-shaman who has ties to Carthage, an immensely strong free city spirit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hahaha, awesome. Also, that conversion is a labor of love oriongates. But a very 2050 feel, no way to make my bioware space marine monster.

also, today in shadowrunning:

Total corpses, 5, including three gangers outside the johnson meet who were standing around my car. I got in my car and drove off after intimidating them but the murder sword hobo said her magical sword (she's a mundane but she stole a foci from a dead adept) compels her to kill in order to level it up and both OOC and IC I was like "I'll see you at the Stuffer Shack around the corner when y'all are done" and after some murderization they stumble over to my car and one of the gangers with a junk yard jaw has bitten a huge chunk out of the techno's van.

Despite being beginning technos, between two of them we get travel plans of the target, hack their car enroute and deliver it to the abandoned warehouse the sword maniac used to squat in (voluntarily, she used to have a luxury lifestyle and now slums it for fun). When they're almost there, the bodyguards realize this is not a secondary parking garage and turn off matrix connectivity of the car and shut it down.

This thing is a brick with better than roadmaster armor and for once we're all low karma types and none of us can casually rip the door off or summon a spirit who can. The murder hobo hooks up the van's winch to a door and it gets torn off as the driver boots up the car and tries to drive away. The murder hobo HOPS INTO THE NEAREST GUY'S LAP AND STARTS STABBING HIM, in the most hardcore lapdance ever while I'm screaming leadership dice into the whole mess and yadda yadda yadda, winshields are shot out with apds, people are hacked to death or are punched unconscious and yanked out through broken windows and then we're chased by the driver (we had the presense of mind to at least squelch their comms) that ends with cutting him off and me putting him down with stick and shock.

Murder hobo decides NO WITNESSES! and the above conversation ensues.

An interrogation scene of the unconscious target goes with NO loving TORTURE because I'm leading it and telling the teammates to stand back, look threatening and do nothing else. Also the Johnson specified that I should pretend to be a sinister Azzie during this and my averagely-racist CAS PC with kitchen Spanish hams it up with telenovela stereotypes that thankfully work because the target has been punched into mush. We get the info we need.

I promise we're letting her go, wait for the stim patch to wear off, and call up the johnson. Once she realizes we have the target physically and didn't just steal the data she offers more for her. Whoops. Once kidnapping transport later we score some extra nuyen as a helicopter full of thugs takes her away.

Hey, I don't follow Dragonslayer, its okay. And my PC still hasn't murdered anyone. Personally, I mean. Accessory-to does not count.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 6, 2019

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Today in Shadowrun: My other CAS PC attempts to impersonate a Saeder Krupp goon. "GOO-ten-tayg y'all"

Also, Mages, not even once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53YK67Ufwlw&t=30s

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 6, 2019

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Assuming that /tg/ post is legit, the matrix rules are interesting.

Yay: they got rid of the tag system, which seemed like it could be neat but turned out clunky as hell in play for us. I liked the GOD tracking system, so it's good to see that.

Boo: they're keeping the grid system, which is a nod to fluff that was a pointless distraction in play.

Other: Looks like I'll still be doing a bit of handwaving to explain why corpsec doesn't sprinkle faraday cages around like fake potted plants.

Who knows, maybe my group finds the matrix rules playable this time around.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 7, 2019

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Judging by the lineup preview, it looks like the monkey's paw heard those of you talking about a reboot. Art and descriptions read like we're getting Bug City II: Poutine Edition.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

eviltastic posted:

Judging by the lineup preview, it looks like the monkey's paw heard those of you talking about a reboot. Art and descriptions read like we're getting Bug City II: Poutine Edition.

Of course we are. It wouldn't me SR without a pointless bodysnatcher antagonist.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Liquid Communism posted:

Of course we are. It wouldn't me SR without a pointless bodysnatcher antagonist.

Sure, but why build up a new one when you can rehash the old one?

Betcha Toronto winds up gettin' nuked.

e: while I am bitching I would also like to complain about the growing case of Liefelditis in the cover art.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 7, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

eviltastic posted:

Other: Looks like I'll still be doing a bit of handwaving to explain why corpsec doesn't sprinkle faraday cages around like fake potted plants.
faraday cages are expensive and some executive got really mad they couldn't get to facebook when they deployed one

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Zereth posted:

faraday cages are expensive and some executive got really mad they couldn't get to facebook when they deployed one

Short sighted cost cutting explains a lot of security gaps. But you hit on the exact reason I can see them being super common. Give the corps the chance to make a literal walled garden of monitored access and curated content for the wageslaves, and that copper mesh backed wallpaper is going up yesterday.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 7, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's always weirded me out that Shadowrun assumes corps will actually pour money into increasingly cost-ineffective security measures rather then just continue to cut corners into perpetuity, but Shadowrun has always weirdly bought into pro-capitalism propaganda.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's always weirded me out that Shadowrun assumes corps will actually pour money into increasingly cost-ineffective security measures rather then just continue to cut corners into perpetuity, but Shadowrun has always weirdly bought into pro-capitalism propaganda.

The writers continue to be really, really bad. The plot has gone really dumb places under Hardy's time as line dev.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

eviltastic posted:

Short sighted cost cutting explains a lot of security gaps. But you hit on the exact reason I can see them being super common. Give the corps the chance to make a literal walled garden of monitored access and curated content for the wageslaves, and that copper mesh backed wallpaper is going up yesterday.
... poo poo, you're right, that IS a reason they might do it

I mean, if they're not paying them in corp scrip they can only use to get corp approved smartphones which only go to corp approved sites and use corp approved apps, anyway

Might be tricky covering the windows without ruining whatever lovely aesthetics their latest redesign has, though

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Now, the higher ups wanting actual windows to look down on the peons in the cityscape instead of chintzy AR window projections and having the critical conference room being shielded by attractive tanks of tropical fish instead of a wire mesh in the walls, that's something that fits the setting and that I can get into.

Liquid Communism posted:

The writers continue to be really, really bad. The plot has gone really dumb places under Hardy's time as line dev.

That particular complaint isn't new to any recent edition, though. Rigger 3 was more than fifteen years ago.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zereth posted:

... poo poo, you're right, that IS a reason they might do it

I mean, if they're not paying them in corp scrip they can only use to get corp approved smartphones which only go to corp approved sites and use corp approved apps, anyway

Might be tricky covering the windows without ruining whatever lovely aesthetics their latest redesign has, though

Wageslaves get windows? Man what posh corp are you working for?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My favourite workplace in SR is Europot, as the ultimate expression of capitalism. 90% automated, but with an army of meth-addled wageslaves working 17 hour days clearing up behind the robots. Everything tuned to the highest possible efficiency for the machines, and if you get in the way of a robot it will just loving run you down because ~efficiency~. If you get dragged into a machine they won't even switch it off long enough to scrape your shredded remains out unless they absolutely have to.

I always wanted to see or play something in that location.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

communism bitch posted:

My favourite workplace in SR is Europot, as the ultimate expression of capitalism. 90% automated, but with an army of meth-addled wageslaves working 17 hour days clearing up behind the robots. Everything tuned to the highest possible efficiency for the machines, and if you get in the way of a robot it will just loving run you down because ~efficiency~. If you get dragged into a machine they won't even switch it off long enough to scrape your shredded remains out unless they absolutely have to.

I always wanted to see or play something in that location.

Getting to be truth in fiction these days.

quote:

Walmart is adding thousands of robots to its workforce, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The company is the largest employer in the United States, with 1.5 million people currently on its payroll. Soon, it will also have 1,500 autonomous floor-cleaning robots, 300 shelf-scanning robots to check inventory, 1,200 delivery-sorting robots to collaborate with the shelf-scanning robots, and 900 automated “pickup towers” for online orders. The numbers are substantial, but still fairly small considering Walmart operates 4,600 stores in the US.

And the retailer has already gone on a press push to frame these additions as, ultimately, a favor for the people who work for Walmart. John Crecelius, senior vice president for central operations in the US, told Adweek on Wednesday that Walmart employees “immediately understood the opportunity for the new technology to free them up from focusing on tasks that are repeatable, predictable and manual,” and that they were glad to have their time freed up to focus on “selling merchandise and serving customers, which they [say has] always been the most exciting parts of working in retail.”

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Wageslaves get windows? Man what posh corp are you working for?
Gotta have somewhere to take pictures for their promotional material.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Corp offices being designed by some unhappy former prodigy architect who lacked the connections to break into the upper crust and has to be dragged kicking and screaming into including substantial security because it interferes with the only expressive freedom they can still feel.

A head of security who started working security before everything was wireless and can't be arsed to learn all the stupid nonsense tricks and hacks that can happen nowadays but it's cheaper to just leave in their position instead of train someone new. A little espionage just doesn't hurt that much.

A new head of security who foolishly spends all the budget on loving with deckers but forgets to buy actual loving locks for half the doors in the building.

Finding out how this guy hosed up security so your team can get in is both an important part of pre-run legwork and if done well is its own reward. :allears:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Liquid Communism posted:

Getting to be truth in fiction these days.

Facebook wants to pay it's employees in it's own cryptocurrency. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/facebook-cryptocurrency-coming-in-june-report.html

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014

The real thing corps are gonna dump their money on isn't security, but Feng Shui. But only for the exec offices; no need to polarize the 90% drone workforce or the 10% cram-addled wageslaves who work "off-site" in VR.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strobe posted:

Corp offices being designed by some unhappy former prodigy architect who lacked the connections to break into the upper crust and has to be dragged kicking and screaming into including substantial security because it interferes with the only expressive freedom they can still feel.

A head of security who started working security before everything was wireless and can't be arsed to learn all the stupid nonsense tricks and hacks that can happen nowadays but it's cheaper to just leave in their position instead of train someone new. A little espionage just doesn't hurt that much.

A new head of security who foolishly spends all the budget on loving with deckers but forgets to buy actual loving locks for half the doors in the building.

Finding out how this guy hosed up security so your team can get in is both an important part of pre-run legwork and if done well is its own reward. :allears:
:hmmyes:

Don't forget "Expensive security thing is disabled because somebody kept getting inconvenienced by it when they wanted to go get a latte so the security door on the east side in the alley is always propped open and the camera is facing the wrong way"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lots of paranoid email control and aggressive web filtering with no enforcement of "don't hold the door open for people who say they forgot their badge."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Why do they need to worry about security when a lot of GMs will just tear open a portal to the elemental plane of cops the second the PC's fail a stealth or hacking test?

"HTR has arrived." "Isn't a combat turn 3 seconds?" "HTR HAS ARRIVED."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014

Ronwayne posted:

Why do they need to worry about security when a lot of GMs will just tear open a portal to the elemental plane of cops the second the PC's fail a stealth or hacking test?

"HTR has arrived." "Isn't a combat turn 3 seconds?" "HTR HAS ARRIVED."

The players could always counter with a free spirit favour and rip open their own portal to Zecorporatum.

Although in my games, HRT arrives in 5 minutes, give or take a minute or 2 (assuming this is corp territory where they paid for the privilege of priority). Plenty of time for the unspeakable horror the runners accidentally let loose murder an entire corp floor of innocent wage slaves.

The real litmus test for a shadowrunner: how easily they disassociate themselves from the misery they (indirectly) cause.