Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man Rhodes is nearly impossible to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How's the game of you don't have FoG2?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Popete posted:

I have it and I never really felt the need to export to FoG2 but your milage may vary.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you don't use FoG II then it's a groged up Imperator, if you do then its a groged up RTW, either way game is good.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Popete posted:

I love the FoG2 integration, but honestly I only exported a single battle during the 7 hours I've played so far. It's fun to do for important battles, but they take a long time to play so I spent most of the night using the Empires system.

It's definitely a grogged up Paradox style system. The most important thing seems to be making sure you have enough front-line troops for the "frontage" size of the region - fewer troops fit on the front line in a mountainous area than on the plains, etc - and enough second line troops to support each of them, as it gives a support bonus to the unit fighting in front of it. Skirmishers own more in Empires than FOG2, because there's a ranged round at the beginning of combat, and then they retreat behind the front line to support the melee round. There's enough at play that the combat is automatic, but still fun to watch. I don't feel compelled to export each fight.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't really get what I am suppose to be doing in FoG:E. Do I just keep building new buildings and units then paint the map?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How's the difficulty compared to Paradox's recent releases? I seem to remember Johan saying that they've made their games easier because winning is fun or whatever, but I really have a hankering for a map game with old school Crusader Kings-style arbitrary empire explosions

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
I'm loving FOG:E as a battle creator for FOG2, but as a strategic level game I don't think I would play it for more than an hour or two (I would of course buy it because I am a schmuck). The building option shuffling thing is a bit too limiting in terms of forward planning, and the decadence/objective mechanic seems very rail roady so far as I understand it.

However playing as the Lyschimak… Thracian Diadochi faction who start with a huge army they can't afford, joining the dogpile against Antigonus and then trying to hold on to all the land I'd grabbed whilst my decadence was so crazy high that my provinces were straight up defecting to nations I wasn't even at war with has been a lot of fun.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

sum posted:

How's the difficulty compared to Paradox's recent releases? I seem to remember Johan saying that they've made their games easier because winning is fun or whatever, but I really have a hankering for a map game with old school Crusader Kings-style arbitrary empire explosions

I don't think its very hard if your importing to FOG:2 for must win battles, I was able to fight my way through a decadence/civilisation collapse - although I think the faction I was playing started with an over strong army and was also a phalanx faction, which really helps with the FOG:2 battles.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

pedro0930 posted:

I don't really get what I am suppose to be doing in FoG:E. Do I just keep building new buildings and units then paint the map?

Get legacy, win game- painting the map is generally not as good for legacy as one might think, particularly poor parts of the map.

dogsarentdangerous posted:

I'm loving FOG:E as a battle creator for FOG2, but as a strategic level game I don't think I would play it for more than an hour or two (I would of course buy it because I am a schmuck). The building option shuffling thing is a bit too limiting in terms of forward planning, and the decadence/objective mechanic seems very rail roady so far as I understand it.

However playing as the Lyschimak… Thracian Diadochi faction who start with a huge army they can't afford, joining the dogpile against Antigonus and then trying to hold on to all the land I'd grabbed whilst my decadence was so crazy high that my provinces were straight up defecting to nations I wasn't even at war with has been a lot of fun.

I think the building thing is fine, you just sometimes take suboptimal choices and move on.

dogsarentdangerous posted:

I don't think its very hard if your importing to FOG:2 for must win battles, I was able to fight my way through a decadence/civilisation collapse - although I think the faction I was playing started with an over strong army and was also a phalanx faction, which really helps with the FOG:2 battles.

Yeah if you like FOG2 go ham with the battles- IMO i think the FoGE combat system rewards balanced comps more than FoG2 but I do feel that it rewards skirmishers a bit too much and cavalry a bit too little.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There may be some bug related to import battle. Somehow my army of 4 heavy infantry + 4 skirmisher get imported into 12 heavy infantry and 1 skirmsher. Sure is nice getting a ton of ridiculously expensive hoplites for free.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
For FoGE, I am enjoying the game but am put off by how aggressive foreign powers are. Yes I expect in moments of weakness to get attack by my ambitious rivals/neighbors, but it seems that the AI just wants endless war- even when significantly outmatched.

Also one function I can’t seem to find out how to do is raid. I can see the pillage option when my army is in foreign land, but ai powers frequent launch border raids. How can I do this/ is it profitable?

Also seconding unit battle weight values being wonky. Regular infantry, a value of 2, camel skirmishes, value 8 etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

For FoGE, I am enjoying the game but am put off by how aggressive foreign powers are. Yes I expect in moments of weakness to get attack by my ambitious rivals/neighbors, but it seems that the AI just wants endless war- even when significantly outmatched.

Also one function I can’t seem to find out how to do is raid. I can see the pillage option when my army is in foreign land, but ai powers frequent launch border raids. How can I do this/ is it profitable?

Also seconding unit battle weight values being wonky. Regular infantry, a value of 2, camel skirmishes, value 8 etc.

The new patch reduced AI aggression. Also yeah the overall combat values way overstate heavy infantry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there anything that I should look out for in getting CMANO to start? I keep crashing at the splash screen

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there anything that I should look out for in getting CMANO to start? I keep crashing at the splash screen

Can you open a new thread on our Tech Support forum? Also post the startup logs there if possible.

To start with, make sure your OS is fully up-to-date.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Squiggle posted:

Engine seems good, actually. Surprisingly so. If I hadn't known beforehand, finding out ageod was involved would've been a genuine shock.

Yeah the new AGEOD engine is a million times better than the old one. It's not quite perfect and still obtuse at times, but it's leaps and bounds better than the previous one. Reminds me a lot of Victoria 2, they clearly looked a lot at what Paradox is doing UI wise.

It's a good game.

e: autocorrect

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 18, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whats the deal with Silent Hunter 5? I know it's gotten terrible reviews but not sure if it's just because of bugs on launch or the gameplay sucks. Been watching some YouTube videos and it looks pretty fun, perhaps the bugs have been fixed by now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Popete posted:

Whats the deal with Silent Hunter 5? I know it's gotten terrible reviews but not sure if it's just because of bugs on launch or the gameplay sucks. Been watching some YouTube videos and it looks pretty fun, perhaps the bugs have been fixed by now.

It's a horribly buggy cobbled together mess with a lovely UI and that doesn't play in a way that some Silent Hunter 3 and 4 vets prefer, from what I've read. Based on reading recent reviews, time has not helped it be less lovely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It does get points for having one of the most hilarious copy protections though. If it detected it was pirated (and I believe even if you purchased it legit at launch) it would render your lovingly detailed crew as 2D.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

From what I remember:

Ubisoft was trying to bring in a larger audience than the previous games, so they tried to make a more "approachable" game. This failed to attract the more mainstream audience they wanted, and also failed to appeal to the core SH fanbase that didn't appreciate the simplification and more actiony focus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I realized that I actually own it, must have bought it for dirt cheap at some point. So I guess I'll give it a shot!

I'm really liking how UBOAT is coming along but it's pretty buggy and I've put it down to give it time to mature.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was given away for free at some point.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Just click on the raid button (on the tabs where you have split, merge, and other button) when you have a unit selected and your unit will choose a neighboring enemy province to raid. While it doesn't say how much gold you get my observation is that you can get around 40-100 gold depending on how rich and successful your raiding party is and as far as I can tell raiding failure only reduce your readiness. It's pretty profitable especially early game when you have no money even against dirt poor independent province.

Unit value is really terrible gauge at estimating result, yeah. Though heavy infantry, while overvalued is still the most powerful thing you can field as long as you can fill the frontage.

Yeah, the AI is pretty annoying by spawning legacy emergency levy (thankfully fixed in the recent patch). Every single weak one province country can just keep pulling out stacks complete with cavalry and heavy infantry (sometimes even tier 3 ones) is just silly.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So after seeing a lot of Screenshot LPs of RTW 1 and 2 I decided I'd get RTW 2 for myself even though I'm not all that great at this type of game, and don't have a huge knowledge of shipbuilding, and have since been stumbling my way through. I'm sure the two questions I'm about to ask have been asked before but I didn't locate them going back a few pages.

First, I don't really understand what differentiates a Dreadnought from a Pre-Dreadnought battleship, is it just the All-or-nothing armor scheme? I only ask because in my first game (playing as Italy...not sure why I went with them to be honest), and at one point there was a decade-long treaty banning ships over 15000t displacement, despite that the French managed to create Dreadnoughts that were at that displacement, and my attempts to do so resulted in them being rebranded as Pre-Dreadnoughts or CAs, until All-or-nothing armor got researched I believe. This question also kinda applies to Battlecruisers since I don't quite get what makes a ship a Battlecruiser either.

Secondly, I have airbases but even when in the midst of battle just off the coast from said airbases, which have planes, I can't seem to have the ability to launch planes or utilize them in the battles at all. This is especially frustrating in coastal raid scenarios where I could've really used the backup.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

So after seeing a lot of Screenshot LPs of RTW 1 and 2 I decided I'd get RTW 2 for myself even though I'm not all that great at this type of game, and don't have a huge knowledge of shipbuilding, and have since been stumbling my way through. I'm sure the two questions I'm about to ask have been asked before but I didn't locate them going back a few pages.

First, I don't really understand what differentiates a Dreadnought from a Pre-Dreadnought battleship, is it just the All-or-nothing armor scheme? I only ask because in my first game (playing as Italy...not sure why I went with them to be honest), and at one point there was a decade-long treaty banning ships over 15000t displacement, despite that the French managed to create Dreadnoughts that were at that displacement, and my attempts to do so resulted in them being rebranded as Pre-Dreadnoughts or CAs, until All-or-nothing armor got researched I believe. This question also kinda applies to Battlecruisers since I don't quite get what makes a ship a Battlecruiser either.

Secondly, I have airbases but even when in the midst of battle just off the coast from said airbases, which have planes, I can't seem to have the ability to launch planes or utilize them in the battles at all. This is especially frustrating in coastal raid scenarios where I could've really used the backup.

It's mostly how many centerline turrets you have on a battleship. Three or more will make the game consider your ship a dreadnought.

Land based air is completely AI controlles.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Angry_Ed posted:

There is a manual located in the \Rule the Waves 2\Manuals folder that has all the ship requirements (page 62).

Predreadnought (B) is

5000+ tons
6"+ Belt
6"+ Main Guns
≤ 20kn speed
≤ 2 Main Turrets

Dreadnought (BB) is
8000+ tons
6"+ Belt
10+" guns
3+ main turrets

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

There is a manual located in the \Rule the Waves 2\Manuals folder that has all the ship requirements (page 62).

Predreadnought (B) is

5000+ tons
6"+ Belt
6"+ Main Guns
≤ 20kn speed
≤ 2 Main Turrets

Dreadnought (BB) is
8000+ tons
6"+ Belt
10+" guns
3+ main turrets

All right, that makes sense, but the only problem is I could've sworn I put 3 main/centerline turrets on numerous attempts at building a Dreadnought and it always resolved to being a B or a CA even when I had the tonnage. And I know I was using 10" guns (because the aforementioned treaty limited calibers to no bigger than that). I must just be remembering things wrong though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Angry_Ed posted:

From an historical perspective, a dreadnought was a an “all big gun” battleship. So a pre-dreadnought battleship typically had two large caliber turrets with two guns, then a huge number of slightly smaller secondary guns, then tertiary guns, etc; whereas a dreadnought’s main armament is multiple big gun turrets (at least three).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's the guns, Dreadnoughts have to be 11'' + otherwise you are basically building a big cruiser. Battleships can be as little as 8-9'' I think.

However B and BB classes are really a cosmetic thing more than anything else , I am pretty sure the game uses them identically for battle deployments and the like.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 21, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

It's the guns, Dreadnoughts have to be 11'' + otherwise you are basically building a big cruiser. Battleships can be as little as 8-9'' I think.

Well it could be that but again the French build a Dreadnought with only 10-inch guns as per treaty terms.

EDIT: If it's down to cosmetics or w/e then I guess I'm just worrying about nothing really.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, gun caliber is part of the calculation as well but like a lot of the boundary cases of the ship designer it’s a little opaque. Take a look at some historical designs like pre-dreads (any) and then HMS Dreadnought herself. Remember that the game is pre-loaded with historical templates so the AI ships that you see are usually based on something that was real at some point, just adjusted to the AI’s current tech.

If you post a shot of that French design we might be able to see why it’s classed as a B and not a BB.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Angry_Ed posted:

Well it could be that but again the French build a Dreadnought with only 10-inch guns as per treaty terms.

EDIT: If it's down to cosmetics or w/e then I guess I'm just worrying about nothing really.

I mean, it’s not. Try sending your pre-dreads up against your dreadnoughts in a fleet exercise sometime.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dreads are better than Battleships of course but 15kt and 10'' means you aren't going to be building very good ones anyway.

Historically the B/BB divide was larger than it often is in-game because HMS Dreadnought incorporated both the all big guns design and Steam turbines so she could carry more armor, guns and be faster than anything else in existence all at once.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Saros posted:

Dreads are better than Battleships of course but 15kt and 10'' means you aren't going to be building very good ones anyway.

Historically the B/BB divide was larger than it often is in-game because HMS Dreadnought incorporated both the all big guns design and Steam turbines so she could carry more armor, guns and be faster than anything else in existence all at once.

Also a lot of rethinking of how ships were built and designed. A lot of other countries thought they were lying about its weight because it did so much in a hull only about four thousand tons more than the preceding old type Battleship.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 21, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Reading the WITP thread has me thinking about the combat system and wondering: are there any well-regarded games that focus in on the island battles of the Pacific Campaign? I can see that Order of Battle has entries for the Pacific but I’ve never played any of those.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Pirate Radar posted:

Reading the WITP thread has me thinking about the combat system and wondering: are there any well-regarded games that focus in on the island battles of the Pacific Campaign? I can see that Order of Battle has entries for the Pacific but I’ve never played any of those.

There is the John Tiller stuff—Panzer Battles/Campaigns: Pacific.

I have never played them though, so I cannot comment on whether or not they are worth your time.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

Order of Battle is great, but it's pretty abstracted and grog-lite.

Edit: Also... WitP thread? Could you link me please?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Edit: Also... WitP thread? Could you link me please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754889

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Yes, sorry, should have specified I meant Grey’s LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, most people who care about the game are there.....