Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's also the brother-sister duo in Kiwami that tries to swindle Kiryu and you fight one and then the other. They're both crossdressers though so you fight the dude in a skirt and the girl in slacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Chapter 7 elevated this game from good to great. I teared up during Captain Cop, and if anything happens to Kaito I will sob.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm still in Chapter 6 atm but I'm disappointed that the only character so far to say "JUDGMENT" has been Judge Creep n Peep

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Laputanmachine posted:

There's also the brother-sister duo in Kiwami that tries to swindle Kiryu and you fight one and then the other. They're both crossdressers though so you fight the dude in a skirt and the girl in slacks.

Oh poo poo I forgot about this one, was it in the original Yakuza 1? 3 or 4 had a sub story too where you had to find and eliminate various hit men sent out to kill ex Yakuza. One of them was a husband/wife duo but then it turns out that wife is actually another guy who crossdresses purely for deception reasons. I know they cut out the Michiru one but hopefully they change that one a bit too since IIRC Kiryu figures this out solely by seeing which bathroom they're using.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

K1's got so many poo poo substories. They aren't all bad but it's still a shame.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

K1's got so many poo poo substories. They aren't all bad but it's still a shame.

It's really bad, so many of them were "poo poo con artists do to tourists in every major city" and it's extremely obvious what stuff is from 2006 and what stuff was new to the remake.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Shin Yakuza is going to have a female 'co-protagonist', whether that means they actually get to fight or not remains to be seen.

I have this horrible feeling the catch to letting them fight is to bring back the styles system, just so she can have a combat style called leather and lashes. "Oh sure, we'll let you play as Miss Tatsu's daughter, but there's gotta be something weird about it too because "

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
knowing the yakuza guys the co-protagonist will most likely be another Haruka-style damsel in distress

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Judgment did a pretty good job with the women characters this time around, nobody died for no reason

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just finished the main story for Kiwami 2 last night, and after playing Y6 and reading all the "Kiryu is a volcel" stuff here I was genuinely surprised at the romance plot between him and Kaoru. I wiki'd the plot for Y3 and was surprised to see that she wasn't even mentioned, apparently there was some drama or controversy that led to her getting basically retconned out of existence?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ShakeZula posted:

Just finished the main story for Kiwami 2 last night, and after playing Y6 and reading all the "Kiryu is a volcel" stuff here I was genuinely surprised at the romance plot between him and Kaoru. I wiki'd the plot for Y3 and was surprised to see that she wasn't even mentioned, apparently there was some drama or controversy that led to her getting basically retconned out of existence?

IIRC it was either

A: Kaoru's voice actress got into some sort of trouble and they wrote her out of the series
B: The director still wanted hostess clubs and stuff in future titles so they wrote Kaoru out to give Kiryu a reason to keep going to them without being a cheating scumbag

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Carlosologist posted:

Judgment did a pretty good job with the women characters this time around, nobody died for no reason

i dunno i mean why is mafuyu even in the game

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

i dunno i mean why is mafuyu even in the game

Kaito, Mafuyu, and Yagami are just a trio of really good friends, I guess. Makes more sense than her being some sort of love interest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC it was either

A: Kaoru's voice actress got into some sort of trouble and they wrote her out of the series
B: The director still wanted hostess clubs and stuff in future titles so they wrote Kaoru out to give Kiryu a reason to keep going to them without being a cheating scumbag

IIRC the original actress was not super prolific to begin with and it was kind of both. Reason B happened, and then some time after that unrelated to the Yakuza games she got into some kind of ethical/legal trouble.

When you play 1, 2, and 3, you can really tell how much they thought each of those were going to be only/last game where you play as Kiryu.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

It's really bad, so many of them were "poo poo con artists do to tourists in every major city" and it's extremely obvious what stuff is from 2006 and what stuff was new to the remake.

This is no exaggeration I'm 15 hours in and have at least 6 substories that are just "Pay me" "No." cue fight. (That's not even including the multipart substories).

On the other hand

https://twitter.com/mycoooot/status/1150190915790737408?s=19

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Think I'm at the end of Ch 3 in Judgment. Everything's clicking. The combat is kinda rough at first, partly due to a protagonist with a new style but also because options are limited. After a tier or two of flat stat upgrades along with some key moves (Flux Fissure & wall throw for me), fights flow so much better. And there's real payoffs with seeing friends around town, get that bit of EX boost or a useful helper in a fight. The story's pretty good, too. Enjoying the side cases quite a bit.

Team Yakuza's still got it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Judgment is confirming my long-held suspicion that if I were rich I would simply spend all my money on crane games

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

wuggles posted:

Judgment is confirming my long-held suspicion that if I were rich I would simply spend all my money on crane games

And gatchas. Give me fish

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm just eating everything in town. God, I wish I was Yagami just going to a restaurant in Japan and ordering the whole menu.

Is any friend remotely as good as Ryan? Ryan has been the only one pure enough to see Makoto, and he's always lending a helping kunai in fights. Can I date Ryan so Yagami is forced to watch Boruto?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm just eating everything in town. God, I wish I was Yagami just going to a restaurant in Japan and ordering the whole menu.

Is any friend remotely as good as Ryan? Ryan has been the only one pure enough to see Makoto, and he's always lending a helping kunai in fights. Can I date Ryan so Yagami is forced to watch Boruto?

Tashiro-kun is good, as is Ryo Sazuki

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Laputanmachine posted:

The debt collector in 0 who thrashes a dude so bad that Kiryu reaches Beast Style enlightenment is another that comes to mind.

Might be neat to see an 'aged-out' Sukeban making a living doing odd jobs and collecting debts from people, trying to get away from her delinquent/criminal past and finding herself pulled back for a friend/out of desperation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

I'll keep them in mind.

Also, I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 and I only just now, thanks to looking at the map, understood the hidden message of Tender. Bar Tender. bartender. I'm loving stupid

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Majima's secret daughter that is just as crazy as him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Majima's secret daughter that is just as crazy as him.

Majima: I just wanted to beat Kiryu by having a non-adopted daughter who would be an even bigger idol than Haruka. When that whole thing with Haruka happened, I just kinda stopped caring and forgot. Anyway she's coming to get revenge on me. The Majimako Everywhere System she calls it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Majima wouldn't forget a daughter, he just couldn't be a jerk with her because she knew how to pull his own mind tricks against him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bring back Noa Amon from Yakuza 5.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chapter 6 spoilers
"Wow, second hacker friend, how did you uncover this real estate plot?!"
"buzzfeed.jp published an article all about it last year"

Sugoi

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

isk posted:

Think I'm at the end of Ch 3 in Judgment. Everything's clicking. The combat is kinda rough at first, partly due to a protagonist with a new style but also because options are limited. After a tier or two of flat stat upgrades along with some key moves (Flux Fissure & wall throw for me), fights flow so much better. And there's real payoffs with seeing friends around town, get that bit of EX boost or a useful helper in a fight. The story's pretty good, too. Enjoying the side cases quite a bit.

Team Yakuza's still got it.

one day i'll have the strength of will to balance buying new combat moves with basic stat increases, instead of bee-lining the stat boosts and only buying the moves four hours before i beat the game... but judgement was not that day

Carlosologist posted:

I love when Ryo Sazuki shows up in fights. His side story is so slight and silly and it's so loving jarring when you see what he does to random mooks.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Is there a good way to get Flux Fissure to work against bosses/tougher enemies? I feel like that's mostly where I need it (and I'm poo poo at timing Tiger Drops), but they always end up either getting knocked back out of the range of the animation or stuffing it entirely.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Today I learned that Kunio Ichinose, the president of Ikinari Steaks that you can befriend in Judgment, is the actual president of Ikinari Steaks. That sentence sounds super dumb now that I’m reading it back but I’m floored by the fact that the president of a steakhouse franchise has a cameo in one of these games and I’m not sure why considering how many other guest cameos this series is littered with.

https://twitter.com/triggerredd/status/1150417041167245314?s=21

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

that side story is the dumbest thing, dude literally stands in front of a poster of himself and espouses wisdom about how to please customers

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Erebus posted:

Is there a good way to get Flux Fissure to work against bosses/tougher enemies? I feel like that's mostly where I need it (and I'm poo poo at timing Tiger Drops), but they always end up either getting knocked back out of the range of the animation or stuffing it entirely.
I think bosses are mostly just immune to it by design since it's so powerful and much easier to use than tiger drop.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Today I learned that Kunio Ichinose, the president of Ikinari Steaks that you can befriend in Judgment, is the actual president of Ikinari Steaks. That sentence sounds super dumb now that I’m reading it back but I’m floored by the fact that the president of a steakhouse franchise has a cameo in one of these games and I’m not sure why considering how many other guest cameos this series is littered with.

https://twitter.com/triggerredd/status/1150417041167245314?s=21

Congrats, you just found out that you sat through a steak commercial.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Erebus posted:

I find that you can only use Flux Fissure once on bosses/tough guys before they become immune to it. I notice for tough enemies if you guard break them enough times they become stunned and open for another Flux, but I've never seen it happen with bosses.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The TV chef from Yakuza 5 is also a real person!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That'll go good next to these Cup Noodles I'm eating.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Y’all aren’t kidding about this being a commercial, complete with the emotionally lifting soundtrack when the steak man talks about how great his company is.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I just fought Professor Panty (early side case) and this game really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

His power up was the moment I realized that this was game of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

His power up was the moment I realized that this was game of the year

It’s got Doom, Fire Emblem, and Link’s Awakening to contend with, but otherwise this may well be the case