Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I finished Champion's League this morning. I don't know if I'd call that the "most difficult challenge in Yakuza" as some are stressing because I still think poo poo like Yakuza 3 batting cages on the highest difficulty were more of a pain but a lot of making Champion's League easier was using online builds. Once I started looking up builds for each league it became so much easier, especially the one detailed earlier which was what I used for Champion's, but it definitely was a challenge.

Like many others, I DQed in the final race and still won the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Don't you have to place first in every race for KamuroGo?

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

derra posted:

Don't you have to place first in every race for KamuroGo?

Yep. Be prepared to exit the Grand Prix and save before and after every race, particularly if you're prone to crashing into things.

edit: The first place thing is just for the Champion League.

Serge Painsbourg fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 7, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah I went back for another go at Champion's and did it faster the next time with all 1st places. Took about an hour. Working on those time trials now and some of them are really a pain.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I like that even on hard side story enemies are defeated in one EX move. "I'm a black belt in karate! I'm gonna kick your rear end!" [triangle] "I'm sorry! Please stop!"

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 8, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Judgment question, I'm in Chapter 9: Ayabe's trial will pretty much be the climax of the game, right? I kinda thought it'd be solved quick, but Chapter 8 was really brisk and I just googled the number of chapters. I was thinking of focusing on the story until my pal was in the clear, but I should probably be spending these next couple chapters on side stuff before I reach big endgame?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Judgment question, I'm in Chapter 9: Ayabe's trial will pretty much be the climax of the game, right? I kinda thought it'd be solved quick, but Chapter 8 was really brisk and I just googled the number of chapters. I was thinking of focusing on the story until my pal was in the clear, but I should probably be spending these next couple chapters on side stuff before I reach big endgame?

I'd say do the side stuff now, yeah. The game will warn you before you reach a point of no return, but by then you'll probably be eager to see how it all ends so best not to ruin the flow and do all the side stuff now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I'd say do the side stuff now, yeah. The game will warn you before you reach a point of no return, but by then you'll probably be eager to see how it all ends so best not to ruin the flow and do all the side stuff now

Thanks! Guess I'll find out now who these five new friends in town are.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I like how Yagami can fix an air conditioner by beating the poo poo out of it and everyone in the room being like “wow nice job :downs:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The game tells you when it's on the final chapter and it's very obvious about it's point of no return.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

The game tells you when it's on the final chapter and it's very obvious about it's point of no return.

I know that, I meant more that for my own pacing, I don't want to be doing all the side stuff while everyone's waiting for me at the point of no return. Would rather do it when the story slows down a bit, and it seems I'm at one of the last points I can feel that way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah you're not wrong. Although you still get chances to run off and do side stuff for hours at a time very late in the story it certainly feels weirder narratively.

Of course there's no harm in finishing the story and then doing everything else in adventure mode.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sindai posted:

Of course there's no harm in finishing the story and then doing everything else in adventure mode.

Speaking of, are there any tips for beating (optional boss spoiler) Amon? I get him down to his shielded state and it seems pretty cut and dry, Blue = crane red = tiger, but it seems impossible to survive unless you can stay in EX mode to absorb all the projectiles.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StabMasterArson posted:

I like how Yagami can fix an air conditioner by beating the poo poo out of it and everyone in the room being like “wow nice job :downs:

It’s a room full of Yakuza why wouldn’t that work

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Speaking of, are there any tips for beating (optional boss spoiler) Amon? I get him down to his shielded state and it seems pretty cut and dry, Blue = crane red = tiger, but it seems impossible to survive unless you can stay in EX mode to absorb all the projectiles.

Mechanics: He takes your phone, but he doesn't take away your item shortcut slots. You can place a bunch of medkits in there, and some alcohol to let you chain EX.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been 2 days since I finished Legend mode on Kiwami 2 and I haven't had any new Yakuza to play where the hell are the 3-5 remasters on PC, 6 on PC and the Judgment PC port, Sega? :argh:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SpazmasterX posted:

As long as your style matches the color of the projectiles you can block all of them by standing in place and mashing the block button (you need re-guard). They come out way too fast to do anything while he's red so I'd just block and wait for him to switch back to blue before attacking. You'll go through his shield by attacking with the opposite color so when he goes blue run up and get a tiger combo in then switch to crane to block when he recovers and starts shooting again. Takes a while but it's pretty safe.

Also if he can't land a grab he'll never take your phone. He gives up trying when he gets to the projectile phase.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Don't bother trying to attack when he is Red. The shots home too well and do massive damage. When he turns Blue, DO A KICK OFF THE WALL TO DROP HIS SHIELD. Try to finish him ASAP at this point, the shield will come back if he changes again.

Oh the extracts that let you continuously dodge help a lot in the red phase. Also the ones that bring you back to life are good. If you are careful he won't steal your phone, and loses the ability to when he pulls a weapon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Obviously 0 was written with 10+ years of hindsight but going from Majima/Makoto to Kiryu/Yumi is some Goofus and Gallant poo poo. You can really tell where the developers' priorities were too; Kiryu sings a beautiful love song about reuniting and never letting go of....Nishiki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought the final scene of 0 with Makoto finding the watch was perfect and was really worried about revisiting it in Kiwami 2, but goddamn they absolutely nailed it again when she discovers her watch-strap has been replaced and realizes who her patient was :unsmith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unlike kiryu's many, many grand dramatic gestures, majima ditching makoto really was for the best.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

kiryu's most dramatic gesture is singing bakamitai while gazing longingly at a photo of pocket circuit fighter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gnossiennes posted:

kiryu's most dramatic gesture is singing bakamitai while gazing longingly at a photo of the dog he sent to Sunshine Orphanage

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The dub of Judgment has been surprisingly good; it managed to be enough to get my wife to play through it, and I convinced her to play Zero once she wraps up the final chapter. Thanks, Sega!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Man, how the gently caress do people make money in this game.

*Plays Paradise VR*

Oh.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Bakamitai Dog

Remember it was what made Haruka happy after she witness people getting murdered in a bar.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

gyrobot posted:

Remember it was what made Haruka happy after she witness people getting murdered in a bar.

right, it's just after all that Kiryu's been through, all that he's lost, and he chooses to forlornly look at a picture of a dog, that is still alive, that he can visit anytime he wants

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

isn't it dead by yak 6

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

isn't it dead by yak 6

WHAT

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I recall a brief moment at the orphanage where Kiryu notices the dog

Or is that a different dog

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh it's only 11 in yakuza 6, if it was a yearling in yakuza 1

the dog is likely alive. nugget, however, likely died years ago

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
He never looks sadly at a photo of Rikiya :(

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Judgment finale was a treasure.

Until we meet again, Kamurocho.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nugget became nuggets in 1989

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just beat Kiwami 1! Ending credits spoiler: I burst out laughing when Amazing Grace started playing, what the hell

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

right, it's just after all that Kiryu's been through, all that he's lost, and he chooses to forlornly look at a picture of a dog, that is still alive, that he can visit anytime he wants

Remember the context.

Kiryu gave up everything to save his brother Nishiki and even a chance to become a clan patriarch even though the yakuza dictates he must die for his act of patricide. He goes back to find the whole town and yakuza hates him and he was given the task of stopping Nishiki all by himself and walks into a bloodbath and the daughter of his lost flame who now married a corrupt politician who tries to kill them both over 1 billion yen.

When Haruka takes a shine to the dog and a couple of bullies throws rock at it. Kiryu did the first genuine act of kindness for the would be surrogate daughter and the dog and Haruka have been inseparable and a reminder for Haruka that Kiryu was more than just a Yakuza but the father that she wished she had instead of Jingu.

5 is pretty depressing when you look at just how low Kiryu had fallen. Park was right in a sense that he tried as much he liked he never could get away from the Yakuza life as everytime he got involved. Ultimately someone gets hurt

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The advanced Mahjong players loving cheat. Just let me win the loving table once :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think my favorite bit of character development Kiryu has is by 6 he completely hates Kamurocho and the Tojo Clan and wants nothing to do with these morons but he has a rep and ends up getting dragged back in on some bullshit. I guess 20 years of pulling Daigo's rear end out of the fire takes its toll.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Policenaut posted:

I think my favorite bit of character development Kiryu has is by 6 he completely hates Kamurocho and the Tojo Clan and wants nothing to do with these morons but he has a rep and ends up getting dragged back in on some bullshit. I guess 20 years of pulling Daigo's rear end out of the fire takes its toll.

It's been sad watching the Daigo-fication of Majima and Saejima. Their little scene in the limo after being sidelined all game bummed me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

gyrobot posted:

Remember the context.

Kiryu gave up everything to save his brother Nishiki and even a chance to become a clan patriarch even though the yakuza dictates he must die for his act of patricide. He goes back to find the whole town and yakuza hates him and he was given the task of stopping Nishiki all by himself and walks into a bloodbath and the daughter of his lost flame who now married a corrupt politician who tries to kill them both over 1 billion yen.

When Haruka takes a shine to the dog and a couple of bullies throws rock at it. Kiryu did the first genuine act of kindness for the would be surrogate daughter and the dog and Haruka have been inseparable and a reminder for Haruka that Kiryu was more than just a Yakuza but the father that she wished she had instead of Jingu.

5 is pretty depressing when you look at just how low Kiryu had fallen. Park was right in a sense that he tried as much he liked he never could get away from the Yakuza life as everytime he got involved. Ultimately someone gets hurt

I still don't buy it. Hell he left the dog to fend for itself at the end of Yakuza 1