Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Apparently Yakuza 6 is one of the worst games in the series?

incorrect, its one the best!

the new characters are awesome and they are my friends.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1166039168591548418?s=19

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Judgment is probably the series' high point for me now, its incredible.

Agreed, it's one of the best.

Goddamn though, am I enjoying playing this remaster of 3. I forgot how good 3 was. Hell, all the Yakuza games are great, and it's so awesome that the entire series will now be accessible to PS4 owners, and eventually presumably PC as well.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I'm surprised more people aren't frustrated with the combat of Judgement. Getting stuck in animations constantly (getting up, after a blocked attack, finishing an attack animation, ect) makes it hard to avoid getting hit and quickstep cancel doesn't seem to do anything. It's very difficult to escape combos. R1 targeting or whatever it's called doesn't always seem to work (you can be holding R1, facing your opponent and still miss flux fusion).

Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot for the story, side content, and style, but considering the combat and trailing missions I'd rank it somewhere around the high middle.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Judgment is great but Crane style is pretty useless if you're not in EX Boost. Doesn't matter if you can strike 3 guys at once if one of those guys can block/randomly get hyper armor and make you stagger for a good 5 seconds

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I think it's absolutely wild that people are calling Judgment the best game in the series considering how much of an unenjoyable creep Yagami is compared to Kazzy. Being real, I haven't finished it yet because I am so disinterested in Yagami. :sigh:

Also, no karaoke.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it weird that Kiwami is supposed to be the first Yakuza. So much of it seems to rely on prior knowledge of Yakuza 0.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Kiwami adds a lot of scenes and some plot bits that directly tie into 0 that were not in the original.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MechaX posted:

Kiwami adds a lot of scenes and some plot bits that directly tie into 0 that were not in the original.

I can see that but, why would I care about Nikishiyama without playing 0 first?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

punk rebel ecks posted:

You don't. You care because Kiryu is very upset about the whole thing and absolutely in the dark about someone he saw as a brother. That's really it.

0 did more for Nishiki than anyone ever has.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yakuza 1 did not have the best written characters.

Shinjobi posted:

0 did more for Nishiki than anyone ever has.

:smith:

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 26, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They did a good job writing the new Kiwami stuff and 0 in a way that it's very effective regardless of which one you play first which I appreciate and they complement each other well with that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They need to make Yakuza 0 2 because I still have no idea why I would care about kazama

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kazama comes across as an rear end in a top hat personally. I'm only at Chapter 12 in Kiwami but he seems to have been manipulating Nikishiyama to make way for Kiryu. He set him up to fail.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Kazama is not a good person.

Y1's plot just exists to have people to fight.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thinking deeply upon it, I'd be hard pressed to name a less effective 'genius mastermind' character than kazama, in anything

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
There were many points where Nishiki could have exit ramped off the bullshit if only he didn't have such a hard-on for wanting to be Kiryu basically. Kazama laid a pretty good plan/trap where he could have succeeded, but he kept loving it up over and over.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LorneReams posted:

There were many points where Nishiki could have exit ramped off the bullshit if only he didn't have such a hard-on for wanting to be Kiryu basically. Kazama laid a pretty good plan/trap where he could have succeeded, but he kept loving it up over and over.

Can you spell this out like I'm five because I can't imagine any outcome for Kazama's actions that don't lead to making Nishikiyama insanely bitter and Yakuza 1 playing out the way it does.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 26, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

mycot posted:

Can you spell this out like I'm five because I can't imagine any outcome for Kazama's plan that doesn't lead to making Nishikiyama insanely bitter.

He had no right to be bitter, he was only free because of Kiryu, he basically owed him his life at that point, and he should have been setting up everything for when Kiryu was released. He then could have remained Kiryu's number 2 or started his own family, either way, things would have gone much better for him.

Kazama knew what was up, he was basically punishing him, and he was supposed to take his punishment like a man. But he didn't.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:thatsrad:

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't frustrated with the combat of Judgement. Getting stuck in animations constantly (getting up, after a blocked attack, finishing an attack animation, ect) makes it hard to avoid getting hit and quickstep cancel doesn't seem to do anything. It's very difficult to escape combos. R1 targeting or whatever it's called doesn't always seem to work (you can be holding R1, facing your opponent and still miss flux fusion).

Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot for the story, side content, and style, but considering the combat and trailing missions I'd rank it somewhere around the high middle.

I liked the combat but it can be frustrating. My biggest gripes are a) the bug where the Double Quickstep book doesn't show up when it should, which means waiting a few chapters and then having to buy it, and b) Yagami suddenly forgetting how to run or move with urgency, and how this always happens when a mortal attack is on the way.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kazama's actions make a lot of sense if you think it was all just a very long con to punish Kiryu for wanting to join the yakuza despite his wishes. "Yeah remember that girl that you fell in love with? I did nothing to try to help her recover her memories of you because I didn't want her to be with you because your life sucks"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yagami's weird rear end canned animations are a huge pain in the rear end on Legend. Like when you get out of the grapple where you have to mash X he does this four or five second long Ha Ha taunt and you can get hit during it. It sucks to get caught and then punished for breaking out of it so in the end I was just letting dudes throw me because I would take less damage if it happened in a group than if I had broken out.

Also Yakuza 6 proves Kazama was right. Kiryu is no yakuza.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Zero is done, wife playing Kiwami. For added fun I'm asking her if she thinks every character she meets is a secret Korean.

God Y2 is stupid

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I was so delighted when in the middle of 6 a guy was expositing and I said "now he gets shot" a second before he got shot. RIP Joon-Gi Han, you were a bad guy

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

6 absolutely spoiled me for everything being voiced, it was a bummer to go back to huge chunks of unvoiced dialogue in Kiwami 2.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ChaosArgate posted:

Judgment is probably the series' high point for me now, its incredible.

I still can't stop thinking about that Finale. What a way to leave an impression.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They master the fuckin’ delivery of so many things with a level of precision that is just awe inspiring in Judgement’s finale; I was blown the gently caress away how every beat hit so perfectly.

My only complaint is there’s a clear and obvious setup to having the main character and the main villain ripping their shirts off, and instead there’s some non-sensical split second wardrobe changes that are a bit jarring considering the pace.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was so sure that (finale spoiler) Shono was gonna rip his coat and shirt off to reveal a buff manlet

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I was so sure that (finale spoiler) Shono was gonna rip his coat and shirt off to reveal a buff manlet

I 100% thought he was going to inject himself with some poo poo and turn into a Hangman-esque meat monster

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlestonJew posted:

I 100% thought he was going to inject himself with some poo poo and turn into a Hangman-esque meat monster

Yeah the instant he pulled out that big orange thing I was like OH poo poo HERE WE GO because I'd thought for the entire game that the big twist to AD-9 was going to be it actually caused like Rage Virus symptoms or something to healthy people and he was about to go all Resident Evil.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah the instant he pulled out that big orange thing I was like OH poo poo HERE WE GO because I'd thought for the entire game that the big twist to AD-9 was going to be it actually caused like Rage Virus symptoms or something to healthy people and he was about to go all Resident Evil.

After the Yakuza games, I'm kind of surprised by how relatively restrained Judgement was in its storytelling. Relatively. I mean, skateboard escapes and refighting a boss after they inject adrenaline into their heart just to fight you harder is still loving crazy, but it's not quite "shooting down a helicopter during a freeway chase" crazy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Policenaut posted:

Same. I thought Kamurocho of the Dead was foreshadowing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Akuma posted:

6 absolutely spoiled me for everything being voiced, it was a bummer to go back to huge chunks of unvoiced dialogue in Kiwami 2.

I disagree! 6's side stories felt compressed in scope and I suspect it was because of the voice requirement. I like the skipping between the visual novel and cutscene formats in Yakuza games and I think Judgment got the balance perfect.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Still playing Judgment. Game owns, this new dating system is weirdly super fun and I like hanging out and texting inbetween missions

Policenaut posted:

Yagami's weird rear end canned animations are a huge pain in the rear end on Legend.
Not combat related, but everytime Yagami goes to open a locked door and he walks into it like a dumbass is the funniest and weirdest thing

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Koga sucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.coolanimestuffs.com/products/ykz-quilt-sets-v2/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
reminder, we're getting shin yakuza/yakuza 7 news tomorrow, probably a trailer/gameplay blowout with japanese release date. maybe some other news too? hard press to think what more, kenzan/ishin/deadsouls remasters/kiwamis?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

I found Honda and his Mr. Shakedown damage bullshit more annoying.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

corn on the cop posted:

I found Honda and his Mr. Shakedown damage bullshit more annoying.

That's crazy to me. Koga's attacks are harder to avoid and he always seems to spawn places without many weapons around. I usually just hit the other three Keihin with bikes a bunch and then use EX moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The thing with Koga is that guns in this game are loving dangerous. In story they're used extremely coldly, and it's reflected fair enough in gameplay when handguns do insane knockback, mortal damage and damage. Guns are powerful, fitting for this more grounded game. And you then have to fight Bayonetta.

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1164509275986771969

(yes i know i suck, if the poker AIs can't make me cry then neither will your comments. :colbert: )

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 29, 2019