Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420_Power_Rangers
Dec 9, 2014

Gotta Hate Something

Metapod posted:

The list is only good if devin Hester is on it

I've said it before and i will always say it, Hester owned as a returner and watching him play was amazing. Of course the Bears had to gently caress it up by making him a receiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

But don't you know that the 1960s - 1980s were the most important period in US history? Everything mattered more then! :boomer:

I mean the league did practically double in size in 1960 with the AFL coming into existence.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Seems too little too late, but oh well. Yay

https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1200821869584084992?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Metapod posted:

Hester is the GOAT returner and no one else has ever been close. If they don’t have a special teams category, they should make a spot just for him for that alone. He should be in the HoF.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

devin hester is the only chicago bear of my lifetime who actually did cool poo poo

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They’re doing defensive backs and special teams next week, and I’d imagine Hester is the favorite for punt returner.

I don’t know if they’re including one, but now I desperately need Belichick breaking down film of the All-Time long snapper and holder...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

devin hester is the only chicago bear of my lifetime who actually did cool poo poo

Please dont disrespect peanut like this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Metapod posted:

How could you possibly leave him off, his records are unbreakable due to rule changes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fartknocker posted:

They’re doing defensive backs and special teams next week, and I’d imagine Hester is the favorite for punt returner.

I don’t know if they’re including one, but now I desperately need Belichick breaking down film of the All-Time long snapper and holder...

He might literally take off his pants for that.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Cancel Freddie Kitchens for disrespecting Mr. Rogers.

e:

Sono fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2019

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1200853420846006272

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm fine with the idea of having no active players on there, but Belicheck is on the list (yeah, coach /= player, but active is active), and we all know Brady's getting on there, too (and Brees would not be a shocker, either).

I'm wondering if we'll see any Panthers/Jags players get onto the list. I know Reggie was a Panther for a year and technically counts, but he's in there for his time as Packer.

Why would Brady be on the list? Are they listing like 15 QBs?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

R.D. Mangles posted:

rex grossman did plenty of cool poo poo, just mostly for the other team

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
There have been no active players yet, with Watt, maybe Peterson, and possibly Aaron Donald being the only candidates of the groups they’ve done so far.

Brady, and very likely Brees or Rodgers will end up on the QB list. I think Vinatieri is probably the favorite for kicker. Receiver will be interesting with lots of recent guys. Fitzgerald has a good chance of making the list, and maybe a very outside shot of Julio. I’m not sure if any current offensive linemen jump out for the all time list, but there will be recent guys like Joe Thomas I assume. Defensive backs are next week, and Ed Reed will be a lock from recent players (And maybe Revis) but the only active guys I’d maybe expect to show up would be maybe Sherman and/or Thomas, but I honestly don’t think either of them will.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

R.D. Mangles posted:

jay cutler showed up to every game drunk and chain smoked during half time

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sam Hurd did cool poo poo but not on the field

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ho fan posted:

jay cutler showed up to every game drunk and chain smoked during half time

Jay Cutler is unironically the best QB in Bears franchise history.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1200883495955906561?s=19

lol

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1200519810884546565

big $$

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Welp Tunsil is gonna be expensive as gently caress now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1200888628572041217?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh so he was stabbed in self defense.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
What weak poo poo

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1200882819741954048?s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
yeah....this is going well

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1200857692211990530

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any place I can download or stream the NFL list of player videos besides the snippets on the official twitter account?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

OxySnake posted:

Alan Page being unanimous was fairly obvious, John Randle making it is cool.

JJ Watt should absolutely of been voted in. 3 DPOY alone should of gotten him in.

Diva Cupcake posted:

A good point about the list reflecting the bias of the committee members and when they came up in the league.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1200747536618860544

I don't know how much influence Belichick specifically had, but I wonder if him playing against all the guys from '00-'10 influenced this.

"JJ Watt? Great player, but just do x y and z to scheme him out of existence. Now Buck Buchanan, there's a guy nobody could figure out"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nosre posted:

I don't know how much influence Belichick specifically had, but I wonder if him playing against all the guys from '00-'10 influenced this.

"JJ Watt? Great player, but just do x y and z to scheme him out of existence. Now Buck Buchanan, there's a guy nobody could figure out"

They’re probably afraid of being accused of recency bias so they’re overcompensating.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So I'm probably asking the obvious, but I'm assuming the fine amount against players are somehow based on inflation/COLA type things?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

I'm just glad Seau made it

Would be heartbreaking if he didn't.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

So I'm probably asking the obvious, but I'm assuming the fine amount against players are somehow based on inflation/COLA type things?

There’s a table with amounts depending on how many offenses. It increases 5% every year per the CBA.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

https://twitter.com/ktompkinsii/status/1198777459560325121

lol holy poo poo

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Andy Reid is undefeated when playing in Flavortown.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They’re probably afraid of being accused of recency bias so they’re overcompensating.

I think you're overthinking it. There's no real mystery to why the list is dominated by players the voters grew up watching

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

I think you're overthinking it. There's no real mystery to why the list is dominated by players the voters grew up watching

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crossposting and I think everyone should watch this, it shows just how thoroughly the 49ers defense planned for and shut down Rodgers and the Packers. Good 10 minutes of All-22 video analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF91z9oK4G4

It boils down to a couple things: the Niners kept disguising their plays through their safeties bluffing one play then switching to another play, and LaFleur's playbook is essentially the same as Shanahan's so the 49ers defense was accustomed to playing against it and not only knew what to expect but also knew how to mitigate its strengths.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I also think the emphasis on player safety has lead to a lot of "back when men were men" thinking

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Intruder posted:

I also think the emphasis on player safety has lead to a lot of "back when men were men" thinking

Unrelated, but I was thinking that the proliferation of the seam route probably has a lot to do with the defenseless receiver rules. It's still not exactly safe to run, but I would rather try it now than ten or twenty years ago when the safety was deliberately trying to put his helmet through your face mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

kids these days are soft