Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Happy to see the Sixers in the same role the Celtics were in last year: good enough to make the playoffs, but enough glaringly obvious issues that they won't do anything once they get there. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i still cant believe a team with two guys perfectly suited to play the modern 4 decided to sign a center to play PF lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hopkins FBI posted:

Happy to see the Sixers in the same role the Celtics were in last year: good enough to make the playoffs, but enough glaringly obvious issues that they won't do anything once they get there. :allears:

Yeah it’s impossible Chicago catches them

:(

They don’t have their first round pick anyways

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

What do you mean based on what

Like, it's obvious that a really common set they use is player comes up to Simmons at the top of the key, Simmons hands if off and moves down to the dunkers spot, and then looks for a cut or a post-up against a guard or whatever. If Simmons is running the wrong play like 60% of the time that is a big loving deal but he's probably not. He sometimes drifts to the corner, but that seems pretty dumb too.

If instead of Horford they had another guard they could run a lot more high/low post with Simmons looking to pass, or have more room for cuts, whatever. But with the players they have and the scheme they are running I really think you are putting way too much on things Simmons has no decision over.

Ghost Dog posted:

i still cant believe a team with two guys perfectly suited to play the modern 4 decided to sign a center to play PF lol

Yeah, this is basically everything in a nutshell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Like, it's obvious that a really common set they use is player comes up to Simmons at the top of the key, Simmons hands if off and moves down to the dunkers spot,.

Fair enough

I was too General and using personal shorthand for a complex issue

The thing I’m referring to is when another player is attempting to post up, brown wants Simmons in the corner. Simmons doesn’t do that (consistent if ever)

You are right it is a good okay for him to go down there sometimes

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yo, what the gently caress are the Rockets doing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yo, what the gently caress are the Rockets doing

Can't have too many centers if you don't have any centers.

And if you don't have any forwards at all, well

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brett publicly tells the world he wants Ben to shoot more threes. Ben just doesn't do it

Signing Al Horford to big money was a monumentally bad decision

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obviously when Embiid isn’t in the game Simmons should do his normal thing which is he is very Good at

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Rockets' small ball should be interesting. I'd be worried about rebounding just as much as defense, but that kind of spacing on offense must be tempting to try.

They immediately have some big tests for the new lineup, too. Between now and the break:

@ LA. AD is a tough matchup even when you do have a center.
@ Pho. Ayton's going to have troubles defensively, but how do they keep him off the glass?
Utah. Gobert is a nightmare matchup. Great defender, efficient finisher, strong rebounder. He may be lethal against them.
Bos. Theis is out, so Kanter would normally start. But the Celtics play small a lot, and may try to match them, especially with Kanter still bothered by the hip. That should be a fascinating game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/RKalland/status/1225104759486439424?s=20

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ive said it before and Ill say it again:

signing Al Horford is a fireable offense.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

Fair enough

I was too General and using personal shorthand for a complex issue

The thing I’m referring to is when another player is attempting to post up, brown wants Simmons in the corner. Simmons doesn’t do that (consistent if ever)

You are right it is a good okay for him to go down there sometimes

people are going to help on embiid post ups if their big cant defend him regardless of who the sixers run out there btw. even if simmons was a 35% corner shooter its entirely possible to dig down on an embiid post up and cover the ground to the corner. embiid needs to be able to reliably beat these double teams in some way if the sixers plan to run a ton of offense in the playoffs through him in the post. this problem does not disappear if you just throw enough shooters at it is what I am saying

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I wish we had a bar graph showing quantity of posts by team, who's the least discussed team in here on average I wonder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

people are going to help on embiid post ups if their big cant defend him regardless of who the sixers run out there btw. even if simmons was a 35% corner shooter its entirely possible to dig down on an embiid post up and cover the ground to the corner. embiid needs to be able to reliably beat these double teams in some way if the sixers plan to run a ton of offense in the playoffs through him in the post. this problem does not disappear if you just throw enough shooters at it is what I am saying

Like Embiid literally runs into Simmons under the basket

I’m not making some big strategy pronouncement. It would be better if he literally wasn’t standing there. Anywhere else

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

rivetz posted:

I wish we had a bar graph showing quantity of posts by team, who's the least discussed team in here on average I wonder

It's the Hornets

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Metapod posted:

It's the Hornets

I'm posting as hard as I can

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

straight up brolic posted:

Imagining Harden and Westbrook trying to get the ball to PJ Tucker, roll man is hilarious

i want them to try wussle westbrook, roll man but that would require running a play that isn't an iso so

these are some interesting discussions about how the rockets will work but fundamentally this is giving up a first in order to shed salary. it's robert sarver level of cheapassedness.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/status/1225108100379705345?s=19

Congrats on winning the draft lottery for the next decade, Knicks

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Percentage of Bulls Posts that are just me posting Boylen3.jpg

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This Houston team is made to destroy the blazers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

One day our beloved Hornets will draft a player that can bring them to relevancy 🙏🙏🙏

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bip Roberts posted:

This Houston team is made to destroy the blazers.
The blazers are made to destroy the blazers.

They went 7-6 this month, despite Dame’s heater.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Marcus Smart wins this contest.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zach being in the three point contest is some sour poo poo, just shut the bulls out of th all star game, send everyone home, schedule a hockey game or a concert or something, have the all star game in roeemont this is embarrassing.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ghost Dog posted:

Yeah, but if you look at it as they signed a capable backup for Embiid it's not that bad of an idea considering Embiid routinely falls apart and misses time. He's barely played a thousand minutes this year. He went into the playoffs two seasons ago in a mask. Last playoffs it was dysentery.

It was an overpay, like the Harris deal, but they had one offseason to spend before the Simmons extension kicks in next year so they overpaid for players rather than go without.

But if the idiot coach continues to insist on a SG-PF-PF-C-C starting lineup it's not going to work.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mrnoun posted:

The Rockets' small ball should be interesting. I'd be worried about rebounding just as much as defense, but that kind of spacing on offense must be tempting to try.

They immediately have some big tests for the new lineup, too. Between now and the break:

@ LA. AD is a tough matchup even when you do have a center.
@ Pho. Ayton's going to have troubles defensively, but how do they keep him off the glass?
Utah. Gobert is a nightmare matchup. Great defender, efficient finisher, strong rebounder. He may be lethal against them.
Bos. Theis is out, so Kanter would normally start. But the Celtics play small a lot, and may try to match them, especially with Kanter still bothered by the hip. That should be a fascinating game.

The one I disagree with here is the Jazz. Iirc the rockets have been a big problem for Gobert, playing him off the court in the playoffs with their small ball lineups

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KellyIkoNBA/status/1225134904222109697

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rockets willing to ... take on ... money ??

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

Which is why it's actually like the Magic or something. I think ifyou throw out people trolling Kyrie though it's the Nets.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Welcome to Houston mo bamba

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Morey scopin' out those 'SETS

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

Morey scopin' out those 'SETS

He’s definitely anglin’ for some more ‘SETS

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cody Zeller to Rockets or some poo poo like that

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bye Tristan

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, but if you look at it as they signed a capable backup for Embiid it's not that bad of an idea considering Embiid routinely falls apart and misses time. He's barely played a thousand minutes this year. He went into the playoffs two seasons ago in a mask. Last playoffs it was dysentery.

It was an overpay, like the Harris deal, but they had one offseason to spend before the Simmons extension kicks in next year so they overpaid for players rather than go without.

But if the idiot coach continues to insist on a SG-PF-PF-C-C starting lineup it's not going to work.

You don't spend 30 million dollars a year on a backup center.

The lakers pay Dwight and JaVale 5.5 million combined.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can see the point of it in “beat Giannis”

Too bad the team imploded before they ever got to Giannis

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Buying a bluetooth earpiece so i can holler "What's the situation here, 'SET-wise," at the whole foods hot bar.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ayton on pj tucker is like the last thing i'm worried about with the suns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is probably also not a real big worry for the Rockets