Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MelancholyMark posted:

In 2013 1 in 7 US males 7' or taller were in the NBA

That is a stupidly incredible statistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I have vague recollection that, for a lot of people that sort of height, being in the NBA has major health advantages beyond money. Not only learning how to move your body around in a non-destructive way, but NBA medical staffs have a very deep understanding of the physiology of someone who's 6'11" or 7'0" and they can work to counteract a lot of the more common maladies that come up as people that size age and wear their bodies down.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This wasn't what I was thinking of but nice find. Thank you. You inspired me to find the article I was thinking of. It was an article about Roy Hibbert's development from Grantland citing a Sports Illustrated story citing a Centers for Disease Control Study. lol

"Citing data from the Centers for Disease Control, Sports Illustrated estimated that there are fewer than 70 7-footers between the ages of 20 and 40 in the United States. Seventy 7-footers; 30 starting NBA centers."
http://grantland.com/features/how-indiana-pacers-all-star-center-roy-hibbert-avoided-becoming-stiff/

Glancing at a list of player heights, there are 30 7 footers (or taller) in the NBA atm. So not quite 50% chance but ridiculous close. This all sticks out in my mind because in a torts class a few years ago I was asked a question about a bridge railing's height, then if it would make a difference if a 7 foot man fell over it because it was too short for him. To which I responded no and explained that's an abnormally large height and cited that number mentioned in the Grantland article to support my point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean Shawn Bradley was just guy who was 7 6 and he made Millions over many years in the nba

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How many dunk posters was Shawn Bradley in?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Traxis posted:

How many dunk posters was Shawn Bradley in?

A tribute to his longevity

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MelancholyMark posted:

Huh, surprised it wasn't retired yet already. Also the Wolves haven't retired his number either??

MourningView posted:

I mean I guess the wolves don't really have a lot else going on but he's only been retired for four years.

KG was going to become an owner but got into it with the Ownership/FO over how they handled Saunders death (which was weird because they did everything you'd expect, but w/e) and they got into a whole thing about it. KG still seems real mad about it and I don't think there's been any communication back since that happened.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This is incredibly late but wow High-Flying Bird is bad

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/1228136895105789952?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1228140936057753602?s=20

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Zion looks like he can bump Steven Adams around

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EoinCannon posted:

Zion looks like he can bump Steven Adams around

Adams tried to bump a defending Zion out of the paint earlier; neither guy budged. They just kinda stuck to each other for a second before resetting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, also, that 3 was the first made 3 of Adams' career.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

Oh, also, that 3 was the first made 3 of Adams' career.

Catching up to Simmons

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1228138517575938049?s=20

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WhyteRyce posted:

Catching up to Simmons

lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

That deck is stacked with bibbys

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
Only caught the last quarter of blazers/pelicans, and missed blazers/grizzlies. Probably for the best, but I still wanna see my dudes do okay this season. Also RIP Dame right groin. I recently read The Franchise by Cameron Stauth, about the '89 Pistons season. Can't remember who said it, but a quote in there that stuck with me: "you're only one knee injury out of the toilet." Part of Detroit's strength was the depth of the bench.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

This is incredibly late but wow High-Flying Bird is bad

it's good actually

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

it's like when larry david as steinbrenner is listing all of the yankees managers and he keeps coming back to billy martin

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
snip not gdt

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Jayson Tatum is having a pretty great January/February

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

jackofarcades posted:

Jayson Tatum is having a pretty great January/February

Hell yeah my man

euphronius posted:

A tribute to his longevity

Shawn Bradley aka Luc Longevity

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
TNT Sideline Reporter: Jayson, do you think you still have the energy to play in the All-Star Game after the double OT?

Jayson Tatum: Most def. I am looking forward to it. I am also going to win the skills contest and then retire from it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lots of young all-stars this year, seems like more than normal. Luka is 20, Trae is 21, Tatum is 21, Bam is 22, Ingram is 22. That can't be all that common right? Either way I like it

e: Yeah looking back through all star rosters this is not very common at all lol

The kids are really good but this has to be in part because Steph, Klay and KD are dead this year.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

bornbytheriver posted:

TNT Sideline Reporter: Jayson, do you think you still have the energy to play in the All-Star Game after the double OT?

Jayson Tatum: Most def. I am looking forward to it. I am also going to win the skills contest and then retire from it.

He won last year so I believe him!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The kids are really good but this has to be in part because Steph, Klay and KD are dead this year.

Ehh Steph and Klay would have a hard time making it in because their team would have about 10 wins. Maybe 5

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CRISPYBABY posted:

I got a full house, kobes over anduses

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

WhyteRyce posted:

Catching up to Simmons

tied with Shaq

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

it's good actually

I’ve got a high tolerance for cornball dialogue but it was painful

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beith Van Horn is absolutely slaying me. Also that Jeff Foster aka Freste pic rules

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the clippers have always been frauds

e: https://twitter.com/tiffanylehman92/status/1228175503682486273

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Man Kemba sent Shamet flying

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1228166996367273984

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

the clippers have always been frauds

they certainly lose some games

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Speaking of this, I just watched Good Time, a movie that the Uncut Gems directors did before, and holy loving poo poo, it’s really good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Speaking of this, I just watched Good Time, a movie that the Uncut Gems directors did before, and holy loving poo poo, it’s really good.

Their Lenny Cooke documentary is real good too, but as depressing as you’d expect

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Better than uncut gems, for sure. Robert Pattinson was incredibly good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm glad she stayed a Thunder fan through the past several years. The story of how she became a fan in the first place was great.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 14, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

weed cat posted:

Only caught the last quarter of blazers/pelicans, and missed blazers/grizzlies. Probably for the best, but I still wanna see my dudes do okay this season. Also RIP Dame right groin. I recently read The Franchise by Cameron Stauth, about the '89 Pistons season. Can't remember who said it, but a quote in there that stuck with me: "you're only one knee injury out of the toilet." Part of Detroit's strength was the depth of the bench.

That team was 10 deep, they were great. If the refs hadn't hosed them they'd have had 3 championships in that era. And if you ask zogo, if they hadn't traded Adrian Dantley, they could have 4

Views: Kemba fits so much better with the Celtics than Kyrie. Not controversial. Taytum takes his natural place as the lead bucket man with a pg who can move the ball. Kawhi made Taytum look tiny. Sometimes I forgot how loving big Kawhi is, dimensionally big, he's got a big old box for a chest.

MV and Brolic? were the biggest Brandon Clarke proponents as far as I can remember, no pro draft guys were very high on him. But what anyone could see from his gonzaga tape is that he has a touch around the basket like no one I can think of his size. That one untouchable skill that's the difference between you and every other guy like you who doesn't make it.

The knocks were normal human wingspan to height ratio( 1:1), his three point shooting, and his handle. He's shooting .420 from three right now. I don't know about his handling but he's in a perfect place to play his paint area unstoppable bucket game

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612763

The grizzlies seem to do well when he's next to Jae Crowder or Kyle Anderson so that they're sharing the combo forward duties.

His wingspan might keep him from being more than a solid starter, but he's definitely an NBA player with a long career ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

cole zwicker is an enlightened draft guy who had brandon clarke at #2 iirc