Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

AggressivelyStupid posted:

the worst part of oladipo is his singing that everyone enables

Everyone deserves an outlet for their artistic expression no matter how terrible they might be at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

Spacebump posted:

Most people preseason "look at this Mavs roster, there is no way they are sniffing the playoffs"
Thus, Rick Carlisle for CoTY. Added evidence, look what he did to fix Tim Hardaway Jr.

I don't know an awful lot about basketball, but it has been really impressive how efficient the Mavericks have played even without Luka on the court. They seem greater than the sum of their parts, which is a sign of good coaching imo

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Everyone deserves an outlet for their artistic expression no matter how terrible they might be at it.

Sure, I just don't want to hear it !!!

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

The kings haven't ended the season above .500 since 2005-06

multiple teams have moved and/or rebranded during this time

The streak is old enough people on Reddit will argue technically it's not pedophilia

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://streamable.com/1btm9

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For this Lakers team, the only thing worse than Earvin shackling the Lakers to Rondo and KCP permanently for the LeBron era last year is Jason Kidd's terrible offense that is only saved by LeBron which is what Vogel is running whether he wants to or not so he shouldn't sniff coach of the year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

three posted:

I've watched 2 Clippers games this week. Kawhi is very underwhelming. Is he just coasting to the playoffs?

Yes, he's doing extreme coasting. Don't be shocked if LBJ fades in the playoffs while Kawhi energizes unexpectedly.

He should've known better. The 76ers are still very young. Benjamin Simmons is 23 and Joel Embiid is 25. Teams never win titles solely led by leaders that young.

Give them another 6-7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

There's something liberating about a lost season though so hey whatever

There's something very liberating about two lost decades.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

the worst part of oladipo is his singing that everyone enables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2NG3HURUEs

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

More opponent records:

-Kobe was +22 against Michael Finley and -12 against James Jones.

-Wilt was -29 against Bill Russell and Sam Jones.

-Johnny Green was -39 against Wilt and -57 against Bill Russell.

-Ed Kalafat went 3-0 against Bill Russell. The only person to be +3 against him in NBA history.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Are there any good examples of NBA players who have flat-out said they didn't really want to play ball outside of Curry (Eddy)?

Embiid infamously once said he'd rather be playing soccer video games than doing basketball stuff.

The NBA keeps improving when lesser-known guys are pulling this kind of stuff off.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think it's cool that the all star game came back to chicago, and an hoping that we can use this momentum to convince the association that this is a "basketball city" and they could consider putting an NBA franchise here.

A second franchise would be good.

Whompth posted:

Imagine if a player was drafted not first [or] second... The team that drafted him though... it was a joke. [In] absolute shambles. Slowly though his team started making good decisions. They kept drafting players. Not number 1 picks (because they weren’t in with the league to rig the picks), but smart ones. Slowly but surely they built something.

Then finally, despite all the odds, they made the playoffs

Defeat in the first round.

Back to the grind. New coach, stick with the plan. Same players, same dedication

The next year it all starts coming together. They get to the finals. These midrange first round picks are up against the superstar...

The story of Michael Jordan and the Bulls 1984-1991.

Imagine if MJJ sat out nearly an entire season to shoot meaningless 3P shots from halfcourt.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Would you trade Paxson missing the shot and bulls losing game 7 to phoenix for him never being associated with the organization?

Reinsdorf would still have a rolodex filled with hundreds of other dunderheaded former players to be used as fall guys.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

There's a little look in his eyes at the very end that reads like "oh poo poo, it's a long way down from here"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

There's a little look in his eyes at the very end that reads like "oh poo poo, it's a long way down from here"

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/threevincenzo/status/1228731942767616002?s=20

Why is the NBA doing this, this poo poo stinks

speaking of poo poo that stinks!!!

e:

https://twitter.com/THAT_JUAN_BOY/status/1228556343897780225

:negative:

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 15, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

For this Lakers team, the only thing worse than Earvin shackling the Lakers to Rondo and KCP permanently for the LeBron era last year is Jason Kidd's terrible offense that is only saved by LeBron which is what Vogel is running whether he wants to or not so he shouldn't sniff coach of the year.

I would like to just mention how badly misused Kuzma is. If you can get him the ball while cutting to the basket, he is a deadly scorer. So of course his role on the team is to either sit in a corner or try to create for himself off Iso. Luke had a ton of designed plays to work with his strengths and I've seen them run those maybe 2 or 3 times all season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I would like to just mention how badly misused Kuzma is. If you can get him the ball while cutting to the basket, he is a deadly scorer. So of course his role on the team is to either sit in a corner or try to create for himself off Iso. Luke had a ton of designed plays to work with his strengths and I've seen them run those maybe 2 or 3 times all season.

You're exactly right. And the Lakers could really use some cutting, especially with LeBron off the floor or in the fourth quarter when AD only wants to shoot three pointers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Is a Jason Kidd takeover still presumed

I guess you already said it's his offense

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

Happy that Davis is getting everything he wanted in L.A.

https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1228470206839885828?s=21

Him being so loving bland and boring is one of the reasons he was never my favorite player on the Pelicans.

Whompth
Feb 8, 2020

by Reene

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The sorta vital stat he omitted: GSW is winless since the Wiggins trade, 0-4

Ah yes because we all know that golden state traded for Wiggins because long term they expect him to be their leading scorer and definitely not a key support third option

Such a damning stat that they lost the 3 games he’s played in... in this season of all seasons where they’re trying their absolute hardest to rack up wins.

It’s a shame draymond needed a bit of a rest in one of those games too because they actually accidentally almost beat the lakers in Wiggin’s first game. Lebron was out on the floor in literally the final minute trying to get his team over the line against the tanking Wiggins warriors hahahah

Whompth fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 16, 2020

Whompth
Feb 8, 2020

by Reene
https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/1228730044270481408?s=21

Whompth
Feb 8, 2020

by Reene
Anyone who knows basketball wouldn’t have been surprised that the PASCHANIMAL led all scoring on Team USA yesterday

Outscored Ja Morant, Zion and everyone else on the team

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1228546247721652229?s=21

Snubbed for MVP of course though hahah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

They're probably pretty stoked that he's not around to chew on his mouthguard and drool all over the court too

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Darren Collison would've been a great asset to the Lakers or Bucks.

Dexo posted:

And also I remember watching that game in the living room with my dad and losing my loving poo poo.

Many remember that moment like that.

It's beautiful.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still think its funny that Wiggins has the same name as the titular character from Ender's Game.

Wiggins is truly antithetical to Wiggin. Wiggin is more like CP3, KG or Kobe who suddenly morphs into Kyrie once he's won. Synchronicity.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 16, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Great moments in Kobe history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4lhTPtpUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH67VlgS88

Chairchucker posted:

seems weird that a successful Lakers team isn't good for ratings.

As LBJs accolades continue to increase some have contracted "LBJ fatigue."

:vince:

BWV posted:

the refs are always up to no good but it's challenging to keep track of what everyone's deal is. I know some of them, including Tony Brothers, get off on not calling fouls on the interior (especially to punish home teams) but really love calling touch fouls on the perimeter. Some are the complete opposite. Others get pissy when their call gets over turned , both by replay and by other refs. Often you get 3 who have different styles all together which makes it even weirder. Refs are all cops and they conspire against good and honourable teams, players, and poster. But i'll have you know that like cops, their power can be overcome by grassroots efforts, and those with true hearts and generous spirits will always win out.

The referees function distilled to its simplest form is basically to keep the game as close as possible without turning the game into a farce.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

honestly unban the main account out of pity and also so I can put it on ignore and not have to scroll past these exact same sad troll attempts two or three times a month

More like two or three times per week. Also, if he's unbanned there is a high risk that he's going to revert back to unleashing an onslaught of dozens of PMs per day to dozens of people. Or maybe there's a redemption arc here.

Giannis paying tribute to the GSW and joining them in 2022 would garner ~75 wins. Once again they'd be light years ahead.

I expected this to happen. Hundreds of millions of dollars coming in each and every year with a terrible product on the floor. No reason to bother doing anything.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

decided to read the replies on the fire garpax lavine interview tweet, and am very glad i did
https://twitter.com/vilified23/status/1228460368130801664?s=20

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
that tweet was a rollercoaster now i'm reading about historical gang murders in chicago

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1228837769532903426

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The 2020 NBA Kobe Bryant Best Rapper Award Goes To Damian Lil.. [touches earpiece and ceremony cuts to commercial]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

that tweet was a rollercoaster now i'm reading about historical gang murders in chicago

there's a completely insane book written in 1941 by the guy who wrote the book "gangs of new york" (originally just sort of a gang explainer that in the movie they grafted whole leo plot onto) called "gem of the prairie" about crime in chicago that starts in the 19th century and goes up through capone and i found out that like every neighborhood was known as "satan's nostril" and full of people that would just clobber tourists on the head or whatever, it's a wild book although it was written in 1941 so it is also extremely problematic by our standards.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

also the idea that no one celebrates valentine's day in chicago because of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre is something i deeply wish was true, like imagining someone moving here from Michigan or whatever and trying to buy some flowers and instead they're getting yelled at by a guy in a chicago accent saying "back off, stan, dontchu know that had those people shot with a TOMMY GUN????"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The only holiday Chicagoland recognizes is Casimir Pulaski Day, celebrated with ceremonial shots of Malort and a performance by the Jesse White Tumblers

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

also the idea that no one celebrates valentine's day in chicago because of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre is something i deeply wish was true, like imagining someone moving here from Michigan or whatever and trying to buy some flowers and instead they're getting yelled at by a guy in a chicago accent saying "back off, stan, dontchu know that had those people shot with a TOMMY GUN????"

A little known fact is that Chicago dyes the river red on Valentines Massacre Day

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicago spends the entire day like the icelandic al capone festival on documentary now

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

there's a completely insane book written in 1941 by the guy who wrote the book "gangs of new york" (originally just sort of a gang explainer that in the movie they grafted whole leo plot onto) called "gem of the prairie" about crime in chicago that starts in the 19th century and goes up through capone and i found out that like every neighborhood was known as "satan's nostril" and full of people that would just clobber tourists on the head or whatever, it's a wild book although it was written in 1941 so it is also extremely problematic by our standards.

i can imagine, no doubt it is very hard to read because every sentence is like "so the coppers threw him in the paddy wagon, see" and not for any other reason

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

i can imagine, no doubt it is very hard to read because every sentence is like "so the coppers threw him in the paddy wagon, see" and not for any other reason

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ok joel is good again
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1228849451416084481?s=20

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/1228844303641927682?s=19

Time to execute Daryl Morey

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The country being locked down by deathflu is probably as bad for the NBA as that one tweet.