Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

I would like everyone to post a description of how you play as scum and how you play as town to make it easier for everyone to assess

I'll start
Town: Like this
Scum: Not like this

town: gently caress you idiot rear end in a top hat
scum: gently caress you idiot rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

zzyzx posted:

If your goal is to get momentum rolling for a lynch you're excited about, "it's okay if he flips town because you'll know who voted for him first" seems like a strange tack to take. It's not really an enthusiastic endorsement. And I'm gonna know that regardless of who gets lynched, because there's a robot that keeps track of these things, and because I can go back and read the relevant parts of the thread whenever I want.

This is not at all what I said.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Kashuno posted:

Whew this is a bad callout

Please, tell me why this is a bad call out?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Khris Kruel (6): xopods, Kashuno, merk, Mr. Humalong, Scientastic, Spoonsy
CapnAndy (3): merk, Kashuno, merk, Kashuno, Amnistar, kingcobweb, Sandwolf, Epsilon Plus, kingcobweb
merk (2): Jose Valasquez, merk, merk, ASAPRockySituation, Jose Valasquez, Hal Incandenza, bowmore, Hal Incandenza
xopods (2): Scientastic, Scientastic, Mikujin, Mikujin, Mikujin, kingcobweb
OFFICER LIGER (2): Scientastic, merk, Tom Tucker, merk, Scientastic, Hal Incandenza
Scientastic (2): Mikujin, Leith Maclaine, Mikujin, Jose Valasquez, Kashuno, Kashuno
Epsilon Plus (2): Kloaked00, Scientastic, Scientastic, yuming
Jen X (1): Khris Kruel
yuming (1): Deadbeat Dad
Sandwolf (1): CapnAndy
Mr. Humalong (1): Dexanth
Dexanth (1): zzyzx, Leith Maclaine, Leith Maclaine, merk, merk
kingcobweb (1): Pussy Quipped
Kashuno (1): Jen X, Jen X, Jen X, merk, xopods, Mr. Humalong, xopods, merk, Mr. Humalong
Jose Valasquez (0): Scientastic, Scientastic, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza
Pussy Quipped (0): Mikujin, Mikujin
bowmore (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
Spoonsy (0): zzyzx, zzyzx
Mikujin (0): Scientastic, kingcobweb, xopods, Scientastic, kingcobweb, xopods, merk, merk
Leith Maclaine (0): Scientastic, Dexanth, Scientastic, Dexanth

Not Voting (1): OFFICER LIGER

With 27 alive, it's 14 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 17th, 2020 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 5 hours.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I think xopods is town.

Their case on KK is sound, and they are posting in the tone of voice I expect of them as town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
KK is -8 to lynch! We got this!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

merk posted:

KK is -8 to lynch! We got this!

Jesus this game is huge.

Still like Andy as scum.

##vote KK

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

xopods posted:

This is not at all what I said.

xopods posted:

I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure KK's Scum cause it's impossible to be 100% sure. But you've got me and merk here willing to take responsibility for this, plus probably DBD though I don't want to speak for him. Anyway, IMO any lunch where you can say clearly "here are the people who made that happen" is a good one from the perspective of information later in the game.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Okay, I see how you're reading it that way, but what I was getting at is that there are two things we're trying to accomplish by lunching people. The first, obviously, is to hit Scum. But the second is to later draw inferences about other players' alignments based on who pushed for what lunch.

It's easier to that when it's clear and obvious who's accountable for what lunch. Very often D1, especially in big games, there's a lot of semi-random vote movement close to deadline as players try to figure out who they can lunch. It can be ambiguous who actually orchestrated those lunches.

My point was just that if someone's on the fence about KK, there's another good reason to go with him which is that it'll give you a clear, unambiguous data point on a few players, namely me, merk and DBD. I wasn't suggesting anyone act on that information D2 cause that's not how we analyze voting/casing histories. Nor telling anyone what they should do with that info.

I was saying that it's something we'll find useful later in the game, and more useful than your average D1 lunch because of how the case originated. Sorry if that wasn't clear before. Is it clear now?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##unvote
##vote KK

for now. Waiting for them to respond. Would be happpy to vote E+ too, Andy + Kash distant thirds probably

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Like, from my point of view I really do think KK's going to flip Scum, but if he does it's also going to give me some info about merk. Because merk very rarely agrees with my cases, for one thing. If he were Scum and didn't want to lunch KK, he could easily just ignore my case or call it stupid and move on and it'd be completely on meta.

Ergo, if we lunch KK, then it probably means merk is either not Scum or he wanted to get KK lunched. Does that mean I will know merk's alignment based on KK's flip? Not on its own, no. But it's a puzzle piece that may combine with other puzzle pieces to give me valuable information about merk later, above and beyond the intrinsic value of lunching someone I think is Scum.

That's the sort of thing I mean when I talk about accountability and information.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

xopods posted:

It's easier to that when it's clear and obvious who's accountable for what lunch. Very often D1, especially in big games, there's a lot of semi-random vote movement close to deadline as players try to figure out who they can lunch. It can be ambiguous who actually orchestrated those lunches.

It's 14 people to lynch, and all the votes are written down and tracked. Why would I be unable to figure out how a lynch started or developed if we picked someone else?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

zzyzx posted:

It's 14 people to lynch, and all the votes are written down and tracked. Why would I be unable to figure out how a lynch started or developed if we picked someone else?

I already explained this. Very often if there's no one case with a lot of momentum behind it D1, people just kinda settle on someone who everyone agrees is kinda-maybe scummy but wasn't anyone's #1 pick. Or if it is someone's #1 pick, it's someone they cased earlier and left their vote lying around and other people join later.

In those cases it's really hard to say who made it happen. It's not necessarily the first people to vote, it's often whoever gave that candidate "critical mass," but that's usually ambiguous.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

xopods posted:

In those cases it's really hard to say who made it happen. It's not necessarily the first people to vote, it's often whoever gave that candidate "critical mass," but that's usually ambiguous.

If it's not necessarily the first people to vote in other cases, why should we place so much focus on you and merk for this one, and not the ~12 other people who come after you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
zzyzx is really doing a good job of being knee deep into an argument that doesn't matter in the slightest. Scummy.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

zzyzx is really doing a good job of being knee deep into an argument that doesn't matter in the slightest. Scummy.

I just don't see how this argument is going to help zzyzx figure out xopods' alignment.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mikujin posted:

Any particular reason why? It seems to be parroting a lot of the other stuff being said about CapnAndy and I don't know if that's particularly damning.

Andy didn’t make a case on liger at all; his post didn’t do the thing sandwolf said it did, it was weirdly opaque meta-advice (or justifying a townread if Andy’s rephrasing is to be believed), not making a case or leading to a vote (that never came).

Still dealing with illness, just slept intermittently for 18 hours, brain is very slow and words are hard. Will replace out if things are still bad later, can’t really play mafia if my head starts pounding when I try to think.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

merk posted:

Disagree, he's interrogating something xopods said in a good way and forcing him to defend it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

merk posted:

If it were an hour before the deadline, sure. We're not under time pressure and I don't have to make up my mind yet.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

kingcobweb posted:

Disagree, he's interrogating something xopods said in a good way and forcing him to defend it.

He's been slow walking up to a vote on xopods for multiple real life hours. I feel like he should have a read on the guy by now. This looks pointless.

Make a case or don't. Diving deeper and deeper into this isn't going to produce a eureka moment. It's going to get us to tune both of them out as a "slap fight" (which is what a scum zzyzx would want).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

kingcobweb posted:

What do you think this argument tells you about zzyzx and/or xopods alignment?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##unvote
##vote KK

Sandwolf posted:

Kloaked seems alright to me, DBD is acting differently IMO than the last time they were town (didn’t love the post of someone saying DBD is like that because I honestly disagree).

You think so? The only difference is nobody has made a bad case out of thin air or engaged me head on, otherwise it's easy to play my super defensive style. It'll come eventually, not going to force it. Also the person I had a sure read of in the last game D1 happened to be scum and the one I feel the worst about is the vote leader at the moment, so that does parallel, but I would like KK to reply to literally anything before feeling sure about it.

I would also vote Amni but KK is tops for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

##vote epsilon plus hang mother fucker

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

OFFICER LIGER posted:

##vote epsilon plus hang mother fucker

What a case!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

KK: I can see the original “nothing to see here / this screams scum” duality. Honestly I don’t know – I’m kind of 50/50 on KK. I’d be really curious to hear his response, but honestly him not being around to defend himself feels like a point in his favor. I haven’t seen any major bandwagons forming away from him in the time being, just scattered cases and votes. Again that’s a very very soft town-tell, though.

Curious about this. Is being busy/lurking/anxious to reply (whatever the reason being of not posting) a town tell? :question:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

merk posted:

What do you think this argument tells you about zzyzx and/or xopods alignment?

Every post of xopods confirms my belief that he's scum. I have no read on zzyzx's alignment from the argument.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Every post of xopods confirms them as town in my eyes and the more zzxyx pushes the less I care.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

He's been slow walking up to a vote on xopods for multiple real life hours. I feel like he should have a read on the guy by now. This looks pointless.

Make a case or don't. Diving deeper and deeper into this isn't going to produce a eureka moment. It's going to get us to tune both of them out as a "slap fight" (which is what a scum zzyzx would want).

I agree with this except I have a sense of déja vu about arguing with him like this. It's been so long I can't really remember his meta at all, but I'm frustratedly typing words and looking at his avatar and feeling like I've done this before.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

the more zzxyx pushes the less I care.

This is me

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

zzyzx posted:

If it's not necessarily the first people to vote in other cases, why should we place so much focus on you and merk for this one, and not the ~12 other people who come after you?

Because this isn't reluctant meandering close to deadline, it's a purposeful drive towards a lunch that a few of us have made it clear we really want and aren't later going to try to say we were just going along with it because well, we had to lunch someone.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

SA just ate my post but I basically said:
If i had to choose between KK and E+, I would go with E+.

yuming posted:

*snip*
For me, I continue to hate Epsilon's perspective: "Andy himself said his wording was poor."

Okay, EP thinks Andy is scum, why is he not digging into Andy for his self-consciousness about his wording instead of using it in defense against his own vote? Eplison's perspective doesn't make sense as town. He isn't reassessing or pushing his opinion on Andy even with plenty of content. EP uses a point about Andy in defense of himself, showing me defending himself is >> greater priority than who EP thinks is scum.

This part of yuming's case really stood out to me and the more I think about it the more I agree with it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

xopods posted:

Like, from my point of view I really do think KK's going to flip Scum, but if he does it's also going to give me some info about merk. Because merk very rarely agrees with my cases, for one thing. If he were Scum and didn't want to lunch KK, he could easily just ignore my case or call it stupid and move on and it'd be completely on meta.

Ergo, if we lunch KK, then it probably means merk is either not Scum or he wanted to get KK lunched. Does that mean I will know merk's alignment based on KK's flip? Not on its own, no. But it's a puzzle piece that may combine with other puzzle pieces to give me valuable information about merk later, above and beyond the intrinsic value of lunching someone I think is Scum.

That's the sort of thing I mean when I talk about accountability and information.

##Vote Xopods

Every post of yours is just ringing out as "THIS GUY IS SCUM THIS GUY IS SCUM"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

kingcobweb posted:

Every post of xopods confirms my belief that he's scum. I have no read on zzyzx's alignment from the argument.

Oh come on, that's twice now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xopods definitely setting up for lynching KK then lynching merk off the back of whatever the flip is

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

xopods posted:

It's easier to that when it's clear and obvious who's accountable for what lunch.
It can be ambiguous who actually orchestrated those lunches.
it'll give you a clear, unambiguous data point on a few players, namely me, merk and DBD.

xopods posted:

I really do think KK's going to flip Scum, but if he does it's also going to give me some info about merk.
Ergo, if we lunch KK, then it probably means merk is either not Scum or he wanted to get KK lunched.

xopods posted:

a few of us have made it clear we really want

xopods posted:

It's not necessarily the first people to vote

Doesn't anyone else see how xopods is trying to have his cake and eat it here? He keeps on talking about how accountable hes being and how by making a big deal out of pushing this case, he's nobly putting himself in the firing line, but actually he keeps shifting the focus (and accountability) onto someone else.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

To be clear, the problem with the last quote is the word "people", I'm not trying to take that quote out of context, here it is in full:

quote:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Doesn't anyone else see how xopods is trying to have his cake and eat it here? He keeps on talking about how accountable hes being and how by making a big deal out of pushing this case, he's nobly putting himself in the firing line, but actually he keeps shifting the focus (and accountability) onto someone else.

Not especially. Xopods has made it clear that, in this instance, they hold themselves and Merk accountable for the KK lunch, and in the later instance are talking about how just because someone is the first vote they aren't actually the driving force that got someone lunched.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Specifiically in regards to using votefinder to hold someone accountable.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t see this case on xopods at all. Zero. This feels like town xopods to me and a digressive argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Not a single player has come to KK's defense in the slightest. This is a lynch of scum, folks.