Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Squiggly posted:

Are you seriously trying to argue that meta isn't a thing

I'm saying it's a thing, I'm also saying it's a poo poo thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

lol nice omgus

you should probably go back to only playing once a year

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

lol nice omgus

A.) He's not voting you

And

B.) Your posts do loving suck

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tom Tucker posted:

You're missing the point. I don't care about other games - how are we supposed to find scum if we can't vote for someone in this game for being scummy?

I really don't get it. There's so much "he acted like this in this game and he was scum" and "well he posted this in another game and he was town" - tabula rasa people, I've never seen this kind of meta stuff work and the last time I saw it was in the good place with scum doing a gentle day 1 bus on a scumbuddy which got roundly dunked on as it should.

i hear you, i hear you. it annoys me too when i dont know someone but everyone else keeps clearing them for meta reasons. but the thing is, that doesnt destroy the game either. scummy things are still scummy. but those scummy things don't include anything related to the tone of posting, which is what i've gotten votes for. you're acting like there is no possible way to find scum besides "posts scummy" and thats just not true. someone can post like the most perfect townie ever and still be scum, and we can find them by using all the other tools at our disposal.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

lol nice omgus

I was about to quote you and say the same thing. 26 people is almost a certainty to have more than one scum group.

Why is that so hard to believe?
Why is voicing that scummy?

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm saying it's a thing, I'm also saying it's a poo poo thing.

Well...yeah but it is sometimes worth considering d1 with so little info to work with

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

LordNad posted:

I was about to quote you and say the same thing. 26 people is almost a certainty to have more than one scum group.

Why is that so hard to believe?
Why is voicing that scummy?

Why voice it at all before n1 though

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tom Tucker posted:

Some of my primary scumtells on Steak:

1) encouraging people to push other people more, without really weighing in on the case itself:

2) response to Spoonsy:

(then votes Spoonsy). Opportunistic, dismissive, tonally it implies scumminess without stating it. Subtle way of saying "this is so scummy I don't even need to explain why" to avoid actually explaining why using his trademark "lmfao"

3) zero content spam (not gonna quote all this it's everywhere)

4) re-purposing language to hide behind in order to start a wifom chain around the launch leader

5) taking absurd claim at face value

6) railroading by stating what a vote candidate would have to do to not look scummy, thus putting them in a lose-lose, if Spoonsy comes back and participates (which he would as town) it makes it look like it's in response to Steak's threat

7) massive tonal shift in content after being voted for, starting here.

Then a second massive tonal shift in content after momentum builds:

8) Meta defenses - when I'm town I talk like this, but when I'm scum I walk like this!

Steak, despite tons of posting, has had extremely low content. He constantly injects dismissive exclamations into his posts, yet then 180s into seriously responding to people who talk about him, then performative "lmao" at people talking about him, then back to serious when it's about him. His "case" on Spoonsy is never made, merely "lmao"d as if it were a fact, then he further railroads Spoonsy by boxing him in with a "if you're town do this" when it is what any town WOULD do, putting Spoonsy in a no-win scenario. His reaction to Squigg's claim was too immediate and too trusting, and felt like scum looking to get in early on what they would assume was a pro-town roleclaim support. His early-game drivebys of "what do you think about X?" and effective "tell me mores" on other cases pushes them without him actually going on the record with anything.

It's a long and dreary list of scum tells wrapped in a performative air of cavalier confidence and dismissiveness with hard detours into serious conversation whenever people point out how scummy he is.

Vote for Steak.

wow, you've achieved levels of straw reaching previously unheard of

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Squiggly posted:

to see which smoothbrained person latches on to it as a "scumtell"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think Jeabus' list of drive-by reads and the main reason for a "scum ping" on merk being that he hasn't really done anything doesn't sit well with me, I think if someone were sincerely interested in finding scum they'd be more interested in explaining those reads without being asked and that scum reads would be more likely to flow from posting and not simply a lurking/low activity read this early in the game.

##vote Jeabus

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Mr. Humalong posted:

I just reread his entire post history and it looks like the usual boogie style.

Agreed

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"It's a long and dreary list of scum tells wrapped in a performative air of cavalier confidence and dismissiveness with hard detours into serious conversation whenever people point out how scummy he is."

this is actually a great description of my playstyle though :v:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr. Humalong posted:

to see which smoothbrained person latches on to it as a "scumtell"

Didn't know you were a trap sprung kinda guy hum

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

if we had lights out executions I'd be fine with getting rid of white noise posters on day 1

but we don't, so I'd rather look at people who have posted genuinely scummy things instead of things that just annoy people because they're not long-winded essays
Can we agree that there is maybe a middle ground between long-winded essays and no content whatsoever?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Squiggly posted:

Mr. Humalong posted:

I hope the two scum teams kill each other off

Mr. Humalong posted:

His team must be intimidated by yours

Both in the jokephase. I remember the second comment made me laugh

They were jokes

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Can we agree that there is maybe a middle ground between long-winded essays and no content whatsoever?

yes, but I'm saying this is boogie's usual posting style and I don't think I've seen a boogie scum game

so without anything that makes me think "hmm this doesn't seem normal" I'd rather pursue targets that make me more suspicious. Like Spoonsy/PQ/Steak/Jeabus

And if we limited it only to no-content posters I'd probably go for PQ or Sal over Boogie.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

LordNad posted:

They were jokes

Did someone else make a second scum team post because I remember it being a lot more ambiguous and not clearly joking like those are

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Squiggly posted:

Didn't know you were a trap sprung kinda guy hum

I like to put stuff out there and see how people react to it, then I can solidify my reads off of that

I work best off of evidence rather than meta or tone or whatever other people like to rely on.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squiggly posted:

Did someone else make a second scum team post because I remember it being a lot more ambiguous and not clearly joking like those are

no it was just that

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

yes, but I'm saying this is boogie's usual posting style and I don't think I've seen a boogie scum game
Ah, see, that's new information. Does he get better later?

##unvote

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr. Steak posted:

no it was just that

Okay I lied then I'm cool with spoonsy

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Squiggly posted:

Probably because anyone who's trying to latch on to it and point it out as a scumtell neglected to mention the context.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
guys, spoonsy has been stagnating as vote leader literally ALL DAY, and the day has essentially been defined by limp attempts to change targets that dont pick up momentum. if spoonsy was town, we'd be seeing WAY more growth on his votes, not just plateauing like this. unless of course the entire scumteam piled onto one townie in the first 5 votes? basically what im saying is, spoonsy is so scum. i'm also looking suspiciously at who bumped momentum forward on me too, seeing as i'm now the only reasonable alternative to spoonsy

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I think the momentum argument works better in a small game than here but see your point

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

I'm ok with Maigius, PQ, or Spoonsy

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Ah, see, that's new information. Does he get better later?

##unvote

He picks up the later the game gets

Unless he's being bamboozled by scum :unsmigghh:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I think a lot of people have been coasting today. Could be because it's an enormous game, could be because day 1 lasted like 4 real life days.

Could be because merk, Scientastic, Squiggly, and xopods are all in this game.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

##vote Spoonsy

Less than 3 hours to deadline. I'm ok with this choice today

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I guess I'll switch to ##vote Maigius at this point because there's zero traction for Sci.

I'd vote for Steak to avoid a no-lunch despite the fact that he's null for me at this point because he can be such a distraction. Spoonsy seems more lazy than scummy to me and Sci's voting him so I think I'd rather pass on that one.

PQ's close to outright lurking so I'd vote him too although I suppose we could also just see if he ends up getting himself modkilled so we don't waste a lunch. Dmboogie's almost as bad.

Won't vote CapnAndy, as he seems alright and like I said before, I don't think he and Sci can both be scum (I know, don't connect unflipped players, blah blah... I'm doing it anyway.)

Is there a case on Humalong besides the fact that he assumed there were two scum teams? Cause that doesn't seem very damning to me in a 26-player game.

I'll be around for deadline.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

LordNad posted:

They were jokes

The quotes back to back do feel a little odd to me. Like from a bad guy who knows there are two teams and wants to alert the town to it without actually outing themselves as one of the scum.

Steak, PQ, Hum or a lurker, but I’ll vote anywhere to prevent a NL

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

xopods posted:

Is there a case on Humalong besides the fact that he assumed there were two scum teams? Cause that doesn't seem very damning to me in a 26-player game.

That is the entire case on me and the CPig vote is a joke vote.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I could be talked into voting Maigius although I'd feel bad about killing a newbie on day 1 of their second game ever.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

guys, spoonsy has been stagnating as vote leader literally ALL DAY, and the day has essentially been defined by limp attempts to change targets that dont pick up momentum. if spoonsy was town, we'd be seeing WAY more growth on his votes, not just plateauing like this. unless of course the entire scumteam piled onto one townie in the first 5 votes? basically what im saying is, spoonsy is so scum. i'm also looking suspiciously at who bumped momentum forward on me too, seeing as i'm now the only reasonable alternative to spoonsy

This is such a crap argument, (good) scum don’t immediately put their votes on the highest vote holder in order to push for a lynch ASAP. They want to look organic, natural, like they were thinking like a townie. I’d be more suspicious of people throwing votes to Spoonsy to “prevent a no lunch” while never updating their reads on Spoonsy (like Nad’s above).

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Humalong posted:

I could be talked into voting Maigius although I'd feel bad about killing a newbie on day 1 of their second game ever.

They won their first, they’ll be fine?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Steak posted:

This is bad logic in several ways. First off, since as you say people have been putting forth alternate candidates all day, that means one of two things -- either most people don't like the spoonsy case, or everyone who's proposed another target (which again, as you've said, is a lot of people!) are all scum. I think the former is a lot more likely.

As for the votes plateauing, are you seriously arguing that there's no possible scum behavior than to find a likely townie and all pile on to the bandwagon right in the middle of it, when there's plenty of time for the town to notice that behavior and pull their votes? When they can just hold on to their votes for another two hours so they can then pile on in a blameless bandwagon because any execution is better than a no-vote?

I haven't liked your defenses before now, and there's a level of desperation in this one that I really don't like. You're frantic to save yourself and want spoonsy to get some more votes so he looks inevitable. I know that town will try to save themselves too, but I think town also have a level of fatalism about it, because if nothing else, they'll be vindicated by the flip. I'm not seeing that in you.

##vote steak

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

They won their first, they’ll be fine?

That doesn't really count it was an easy game.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mr. Humalong posted:

Relevant Spoonsy stuff starts here and continues on to the next page. Spoonsy then disappears.

Still catching up on the thread, but the Spoonsy stuff here is absolutely ridiculously stupid.

##vote Spoonsy

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

In Good Place it was JivJov's first game and he was scum rolecop, found us the doc n1 and vig n2. My past view of mafia I was inclined to cut new players slack. Not so much anymore.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Humalong posted:

That doesn't really count it was an easy game.

Don’t belittle his (your) victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think a lot of people have been coasting today. Could be because it's an enormous game, could be because day 1 lasted like 4 real life days.

Could be because merk, Scientastic, Squiggly, and xopods are all in this game.
Could be because America's on fire :ssh: