Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

gileadexile posted:

Well drat. Literally everything around here is Harley this and Harley that, or Gixxers with salvage titles. It's really quite discouraging.

There is a localish 1998 Nighthawk that may be worth looking more into. Seems to be in decent shape and it looks to have a fairly neutral riding position.

Any opinions?
figure out what you like, and do not be afraid to go long distance for a motorcycle. Fly and Ride is an option, and delivery is not that expensive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gileadexile posted:

Well drat. Literally everything around here is Harley this and Harley that, or Gixxers with salvage titles. It's really quite discouraging.

There is a localish 1998 Nighthawk that may be worth looking more into. Seems to be in decent shape and it looks to have a fairly neutral riding position.

Any opinions?

Ulf has been doing huge miles on his Nighthawk with occasional posts about it, and it gets me a little interested in them. Maybe he can give a good detailed opinion. The 750 seems like it’s maybe not so boring after all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 750 engine is pretty good all things considered. It makes enough power to be interesting, sounds decent with an exhaust (complete with off throttle pops and burbles) and has maintenance-free hydraulic valves to boot

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Y’all warned me.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

glad to see you were given a chinesium pelican rip off instead of the typical milk crate in the deal :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The milk crate is right there it even says Kawasaki on it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

Y’all warned me.

why you do dis

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

you'll have fun with a klr650 it's just gonna suck

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The very mismatched tires are big klr energy

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The very mismatched tires are big klr energy

Yeah that bit was weird, considering everything else with the bike. The KLR Dash, the KLR branded soft bags (...lol), the wired in cig plug and switchable USB plug blah blah. At least they’re new tires.
It’s also been lowered substantially, and the kickstand has been uh, modified to accommodate that.

Jazzzzz posted:

why you do dis

1) Allegan State Game Area is right next door,
2) Gun Lake Rec is just north of me,
3) thousands of miles of ADV / dual sport track further north,
4) y’all told me not to and I’m a contrarian prick 🤷🏼‍♂️

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

...It’s also been lowered substantially...

...thousands of miles of ADV / dual sport track further north...

?

????

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I will be removing the lowering link and putting the forks in their proper position. The gentleman who sold it to me was short and retired.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

The gentleman who sold it to me was short and retired.

Does this mean it's the first migrant from advrider to here?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Revvik posted:

Y’all warned me.

Enjoy many happy miles in the dirt! It'll get you there ... Eventually

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Nah, I got my DR from a retired dude on ADVRider.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

My sumo DRZ came from advrider too. I think it had been passed around there a few times before I got it. I’m sure plenty of CA bikes have.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Enjoy many happy miles in the dirt! It'll get you there ... Eventually

I ain’t ever been in a hurry in my life 😂

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Crooked rear end kickstand

What I mean by lowered.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I bought my GS from over there too - the Flea Market subforum is the only reason I have an advrider account

Question: Is there such a thing as a bike that has quasi-comfortable passenger accommodations (good enough for 4-5 hours), a standard/upright riding position, good low-end torque, handles well, and isn't a dadbike or sport tourer?

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 5, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mirconium posted:

If price is the issue look at past model year CBR1000s, it's not unusual to see 2018 or 2019 models sitting on dealer lots going for like 12k, which is about the MSRP for an R6.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the leftover CBRs. It's not so much an issue on pure price but mostly on paying extra for performance I'll never be able to fully use.

Speaking of performance, I was looking at some Panigale V2/Panigale 959 and its amazing to me that the Ducati V2/959 successors to the middleweight 748/749 are now about the same displacement and power as the old 916/996/998. People sure as hell haven't gotten any better at riding but bikes with all their electronics have gotten easier to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I bought my GS from over there too - the Flea Market subforum is the only reason I have an advrider account

Question: Is there such a thing as a bike that has quasi-comfortable passenger accommodations (good enough for 4-5 hours), a standard/upright riding position, good low-end torque, handles well, and isn't a dadbike or sport tourer?

ZRX. Still the best passenger bike I've ever ridden.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Well you've basically described a sport tourer. A not-a-sport-tourer-and-not-ADV-either like the Versys or Tracer 900?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Maybe something retro styled like a bonny or a z900 or 900xrs or cb1000r? Comedy option: Guzzi V7 (or V9)?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is a dad bike in this context? Fairings?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The virgin Busa vs Chad Africa Twin etc etc

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's just weird to me because all the previous qualifications are things that could be more or less quantified. Even if we're saying that emotional choices don't have to be explained, what even is a dad bike? As a counter example, I prefer older style dual sports over the angular look of the 2000s, but even that is a pretty clearly defined grouping even if the merits are emotional.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

ZRX. Still the best passenger bike I've ever ridden.
Is there anything the ZRX doesn't do well?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's just weird to me because all the previous qualifications are things that could be more or less quantified. Even if we're saying that emotional choices don't have to be explained, what even is a dad bike? As a counter example, I prefer older style dual sports over the angular look of the 2000s, but even that is a pretty clearly defined grouping even if the merits are emotional.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Might not have started out as a dadbike but sure has been modified to be one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wait wait wait, we're using dadbike in a pejorative or adulatory tone?

Because I'm in the latter camp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hard same

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve been thinking about making a dadbike thread lately. Need to sit down and write an op.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will post in the dadbike thread

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
when the gently caress is NA going to get some T700s for gently caress sake

fuuuuuck corona

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dadbike is my aspirational end goal, too, bring on the thread.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

What is a dad bike in this context? Fairings?

In this context, Goldwing/BMW RT or K bike/Harley *Glides and other touring cruisers. I already own a GS and a sidecar, that's as dad as I'm willing to go at the moment. It does 2 up pretty well (sometimes I don't want to ride with the sidecar) but that opposed twin is boring AF.

I've done the sport tourer thing before (I've owned 2 FJRs and have a Multistrada 1200 in the garage now). Haven't tried the Ninja 1000 but I don't care much for the Versys. Already own an FZ-09 and no plans to get rid of it anytime soon so the FJ-09/Tracer would be redundant. Regardless, sport tourers don't usually have very good passenger accommodations unless said passenger is semi-tiny.

The ZRX would be cool if I could find one, CB1100/CB1000R is something I didn't think of.

Razzled posted:

when the gently caress is NA going to get some T700s for gently caress sake

fuuuuuck corona

The Yamaha demo trucks have a couple, see if they're doing any demos anywhere in GA and go check it out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Do oldwings still count as Dadbikes or has that been completely appropriated to the "Potential Cafe" group?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cafe racers are for Low T, balding IT professionals raising their girlfriend's child. so technically a dadbike :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I have a jones for early to mid 80's Honda standards. I'm rapidly approaching 40, so I figure I may as well roll in backwards and on fire.

I'm talking to someone about an hour and a half selling a 1984 Honda Saber 700 with the V4 motor. I'm tentatively excited, and if that makes me a dad, even though I've never slipped one past with my wife, so be it!

V4!