Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SolusLunes posted:

oh poo poo you're right

btw i'm scum

Didn't claim to be double scum, therefore

##vote Solus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
humalong should post so i can figure out if he's scum

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Bifauxnen posted:

Didn't claim to be double scum, therefore

##vote Solus

lol I hope someone ended up as double scum

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

the first thing i know is that scientastic is not a scum captain. because he would have picked me and then bussed me for cred. this is not theory, but fact

I actually did plan to pick you for my team if I was a captain, I thought it would be fun

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SolusLunes posted:

scientastic, be a doll and run the numbers on this for me?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I thought Scientastic, Steak and Sandwolf would be a good scum team

It was not to be

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SolusLunes posted:

:same:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BUT HOW IS THAT TRUE IF

Scientastic posted:

I forgot you were in this game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr. Steak posted:

scientastic, be a doll and run the numbers on this for me?
19 non/captains, so 10% chance to get picked, so 1% chance to get picked by both teams.

Assuming the captains were picking at random, which they were not, so those numbers are worthless, but you asked

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lunch all liars????

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapnAndy posted:

19 non/captains, so 10% chance to get picked, so 1% chance to get picked by both teams.

Assuming the captains were picking at random, which they were not, so those numbers are worthless, but you asked

how does the chance of a captain picking the other captain factor in?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the fact that after the captain picks someone who isnt you, your chance if being picked 2nd is greater. same for their 3rd pick.

these are stats we NEED

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or, wait nvm i just thought about that last post for 1 second and realized the captains would only pick 2 players

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BUT STILL

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I really wanted to roll scum

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What if the captains picked each other and also the same extra person so the scum teams are EXACTLY THE SAME

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

the irony of this is how quickly the game went from shutting the public discord channel to getting out the alignments (one hour to get to me, at least)

it's somewhat reasonable to assume the people who weren't online when I got my alignment aren't captains

they could be picked for a team, sure, so the non-captain list isn't really terribly useful unless we want to go down a giant meta rabbit hole

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

What if the captains picked each other and also the same extra person so the scum teams are EXACTLY THE SAME

this would be legendary but also... 2-man scumteam against 19 town.... that's a big oof even with 2nightkills

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

this would be legendary but also... 2-man scumteam against 19 town.... that's a big oof even with 2nightkills

that'd still be three, mr. "bad at math" steak

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SolusLunes posted:

the irony of this is how quickly the game went from shutting the public discord channel to getting out the alignments (one hour to get to me, at least)

it's somewhat reasonable to assume the people who weren't online when I got my alignment aren't captains

they could be picked for a team, sure, so the non-captain list isn't really terribly useful unless we want to go down a giant meta rabbit hole

eh, i mean... if me and sci were both online at game start then im assuming everyone could have been.

SolusLunes posted:

that'd still be three, mr. "bad at math" steak

oh gently caress lol i swear im not doing this on purpose

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

It'd be three peeps, not two, but yeah that'd still be pretty nuts lol also efb

SolusLunes posted:

I was thinking about that for a moment too actually, but seems a bit unhealthy to game the system that much. Even if we could guess the captains, it'd be total WIFOM as to how they made their choices.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I was thinking about that for a moment too actually, but seems a bit unhealthy to game the system that much. Even if we could guess the captains, it'd be total WIFOM as to how they made their choices.

yeah, that's why I didn't bother posting the list, just posting about it, because I have an unhealthy compulsion to shitpost

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SolusLunes posted:

yeah, that's why I didn't bother posting the list, just posting about it, because I have an unhealthy compulsion to shitpost

Also what if someone was using secret ninja techniques to appear offline on purpose!! (I shamefully admit I have done this when scum lurking before)

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

What’s the benefit to setting yourself as offline when scum lurking? Isn’t that still suspicious?

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Also I’m a little worried about the whole vig thing. I wanna get a boon for us, but aren’t I running a huge risk of getting NK’d? There’s 2NKz tonight right?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

sandnavyguy posted:

What’s the benefit to setting yourself as offline when scum lurking? Isn’t that still suspicious?

Being away and not posting is bad, but being around to look at the thread and then still not posting is way more bad

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Being away and not posting is bad, but being around to look at the thread and then still not posting is way more bad

Ah makes sense. So far it seems to me the best play is performative/lurker lunch D1, so setting yourself offline seemed counter intuitive at first blush.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Confirming. :sun:

I hope everyone is having a nice week.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

sandnavyguy posted:

Also I’m a little worried about the whole vig thing. I wanna get a boon for us, but aren’t I running a huge risk of getting NK’d? There’s 2NKz tonight right?

Yeah, if it was me I'd totally use the vig cause I love to get all excited about my D1 reads and I'd see offing someone no one's listening to me about as way more useful

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh wait I don't remember seeing the boons actually spelled out in the OP before

OP posted:

At the start of every day a random player is given a gun to use during that day; if they don't use it, they get a boon at random from this list:
- Paranoid gun owner for the night - you'll shoot anyone who visits you, regardless of alignment
- One-shot doc
- One-shot gunsmith (you'll know if that player has a nightkill/nightvig or not)
- One nightvig for remainder of game (Town) / One-shot watcher (Scum)
- One dayvig for remainder of game
- Unconfirmed masonry with target player
- Bulletproof for the night
- Become survivor for remainder of game (Town) / Become juggernaut for remainder of the game (Scum)

Ok maybe it'd be worth investing one gun to get MORE GUNS

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The correct way to say it is vig, as in short for vigorous, and not vidge, as in short for vigilante. If you defend vidge you’re on the same side as ‘.jif’ and I, without reservation, hate you.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Guess that makes sense. I just don’t wanna shoot another town on accident this early. I mean, we’re all VT rn so it wouldn’t be awful, but with a 70% miss rate at best I’m not liking my odds.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is the chance of being PGO/bulletproof enough to deter the NK that would definitely come your way if you don't shoot the gun, though?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I would never risk becoming a survivor

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

The correct way to say it is vig, as in short for vigorous, and not vidge, as in short for vigilante. If you defend vidge you’re on the same side as ‘.jif’ and I, without reservation, hate you.

it IS short for vigilante you clown

##vote Sandwolf

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SolusLunes posted:

Aaaaaaaaah, this is because you got picked as scum and your captain must have been online when the game opened

##Vote SolusLunes

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

It only took 10 minutes for me to get my role once the mod closed the channel

Why the heck would it take an hour

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bifauxnen posted:

it IS short for vigilante you .jif

##vote Sandwolf

typs ozzie

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scientastic posted:

Aaaaaaaaah, this is because you got picked as scum and your captain must have been online when the game opened

##Vote SolusLunes

Oh holy poo poo is this a real gotcha lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Shortest jokephase ever, instant scumslip